The Silent Passage: Menopause

The Silent Passage: Menopause

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The author of the bestselling Passages returns to the intimate investigation of private lives--this time exploring the harrowing passage into menopause. She questions why the medical establishment is still so poorly informed about this biological inevitability and reveals what women say about the shocking politics of menopause.
Hardback, 163 pages
Published May 5th 1992 by Random House (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Passage

Graceann
Aug 12, 2010 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women, men who love their women
Recommended to Graceann by: Kim
About a year ago, I mentioned that I was feeling unwell, and specified how I was hurting. A good friend said "you know what? I think it's time you read The Silent Passage." As I become more "seasoned" the issues presented in The Silent Passage are becoming more relevant with every passing day, and I zipped through the informative pages very quickly.

Back when this book was released in the early 1990s, nobody wanted to talk about this completely natural event (not "disease") that every woman expe...more
Karen
"...nineteenth century obstetricians taught that 'the change of life unhinges the female nervous system and deprives women of their personal charm'." pg. 131 "Laughter and forgetting...two of the best gifts women of any age can share with one another." pg. 55 "No, we are never again going to be that girl of our idealized inner eye. The task now is to find a new future self in whom we can invest our trust and enthusiasm." pg. 136 Yes, I'm going through "the change", so I read this book from my mo...more
Vivian
I had read this book six or seven years ago just out of curiosity about what was to come. Now I read it to find out whether I was losing my mind or just experiencing menopause! I agree with other reviewers that the author seems to promote the taking of hormones. At the time the book was written, I may have gone along with that, however, with what has been learned in the intervening years, I would not touch them with a ten foot pole. Are the hot flashes, sleepness nights, and mushy thinking annoy...more
Carrie
Very informative
Sally
This was an interesting book, a mix of hard science and personal experience. I could identify with the physical symptoms the women described, but I didn't relate to their anguish over aging. For me, the goal is maturity and wisdom, so the physical aging process is not such a big deal. (Not yet, anyway!) The author talked a lot about hormone replacement therapy and how important estrogen is, but since I can't 'use' hormones, I'll have to live without it!
Donna
I found some information useful and some too dated. I think she strongly advocates hormone replacement, but all women cannot take hormones. There are many alternatives in today's world and women should educate themselves as to what is currently available and choose what works best for their individual symptoms. I think humor is very important during menopause and Gail touches on that in her book.
Beth
I checked out a pile of books on Menopause in an effort to figure out what is going on with my mind and my body. This one seemed to have the most potential to be helpful, but it seemed that her main pupose was to reassure the reader that post menopausal women can have an active sexz life. There was some helpful information int it, but not a lot
Rosemary
I remember the day when my mother and I went to the bookstore to buy this book. At the time, there were only a handful of books about menopause. I'm glad to say that there have been many more written, but The Silent Passage is a groundbreaking classic. Thank you, Gail Sheehy, for writing this book, on behalf of women in the 90s.
Heather
There is value at every stage of life. Women need to have information about this stage and be able to embrace it.
(Are we there yet???)
Karen Cooley
Very informative for anyone needing info on the change of life/menopause--what to expect and what some of your options are. I think women are more open about this topic since the book was written and there are more alternatives of treatment. However, this is the best I have read in terms of clear info.
Carla
The first half is rather like reading a school essay. The 2nd half of the book is very good and has some valuable information. The only thing is it's kind of out of date. There is no mention of bio-identicals and very little about natural hormones.
Malisa
Jul 13, 2011 Malisa marked it as to-read
The latest Sheehy installment from my Mom (when I mentioned to her I was perimenopausal) Promptly put on my "to read" shelf to hopefully to collect dust for awhile. You'll know I'm in BIG trouble when I moved it to another shelf :-)
Jen Chenault
Feb 12, 2009 Jen Chenault rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: daughters everywhere
Silent because no body talks about it - we need to bring it into the light, learn all we can, share our stories and imagine real information coming from drug companies, doctors and health care information.
Rebekah
I like to be prepared for what's coming next, but it doesn't help when the info. is so dated. I've gotten more out of magazines in a doctor's office.
Nicole
Sep 28, 2008 Nicole added it
I really think I am starting menopause early. Good information although out if date and heart health studies came back after the book was published.
Mel
It was quite the groundbreaker in its day. Gail Sheehy opened the door for frank discussion about menopause - thank goodness.
Barbara
I was disappointed in this. At times it was too text book, and at other times it was too over-written philosophizing.
Chris
This is a great supplement to a GOOD doctors care and other reading material for updates on what is known now.
Erica
Dated but interesting, and still relevant. Ignore the medical advice for the most part.
John
Rated: C+

Interesting read for husbands with wives entering menopause
John Lawless
First, every woman should read this book followed by their spouse....
Johna Grim
not much has improved for women and women's health
Ange
Some good info. on menopause among the uninteresting.
Janelle V.
Instructive. Read only for information purposes.
Linda
A study of menopause.
Susan
Dec 05, 2008 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women approaching menopause

This book reassured me that some of the symptoms I was having of menopause were NORMAL. It was not coincidental (I don't believe in coincidences) that I opened it up to the chapter entitled, Where is My Memory, for that has been a real struggle for me during this passage. I'm glad there are books like this to shed light on things that can seem frightening and mysterious in women's lives.
Halyna
Halyna is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Mlawhun
Mlawhun is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Gail Sheehy is an American writer and lecturer, most notable for her books on life and the life cycle. She is also a contributor to the magazine Vanity Fair.

Her fifth book, Passages, has been called "a road map of adult life". Several of her books continue the theme of passages through life's stages, including menopause and what she calls "Second Adulthood", including Pathfinders, Spirit of Surviv...more
More about Gail Sheehy...
Passages: Predictable Crises of Adult Life New Passages Passages in Caregiving: Turning Chaos into Confidence Middletown, America: One Town's Passage from Trauma To Hope Hillary's Choice