Start by marking “Voice of the Living Light: Hildegard of Bingen and Her World” as Want to Read:
Voice of the Living Light: Hildegard of Bingen and Her World

Voice of the Living Light: Hildegard of Bingen and Her World

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  24 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179) would have been an extraordinary person in any age. But for a woman of the twelfth century her achievements were so exceptional that posterity has found it hard to take her measure. Barbara Newman, a premier Hildegard authority, brings major scholars together to present an accurate portrait of the Benedictine nun and her many contributions t ...more
Published September 30th 1998 by University of California Press (first published August 31st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Voice of the Living Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voice of the Living Light

Charlie
Dec 06, 2014 Charlie rated it really liked it
Read several chapters of this for a seminar discussion on Hildegard's historical context and some of her visions in Scivias. Newman's introductory essay is excellent, capturing the many facets of Hildegard. The other chapters I read were all solid. Because this is a multi-author volume, there is some overlap in material.
Loraine
Jun 14, 2012 Loraine rated it really liked it
I read this book with an eye to getting an academic slant on powerful women in the medieval church, because I was so struck by Julian of Norwich, one of the historic characters in The Illuminator. Hildegard of Bingen lived nearly 250 years earlier than Julian of Norwich, and in what is now Germany. Even though written by academics, I found this book of essays to be very useful, and accessible. I would recommend it to anyone who wants historic information about a powerful female voice in the medi ...more
Art
Sep 26, 2013 Art rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Detailed yet easy to read, the story of a remarkable woman. The thing about Hildegard of Bingen is I think she would stand out today, I find it stunning she did as much as she did in the 12th century, much lass being a woman in that time in history. I admit when I saw it was written by several academics I was braced for a dry read. I'm happy to say it wasn't.
Jan 03, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Did not originally think I would enjoy this book as much as I did. What a remarkable woman and especially for her time 1098-1179. Countless first and onlies in our history. Theologian, scientist, historian, naturalist, playwright and composer to name a few of her accomplishments.
Fariba
Fariba marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Cleo
Cleo rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
James Fielden
James Fielden rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Chantal
Chantal marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
David F
David F marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Alexandra Smith
Alexandra Smith rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Andreas
Andreas marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Diana Stout
Diana Stout rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Eric Quackenbush
Eric Quackenbush marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Dan Eggleston
Dan Eggleston rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Sherri Buete
Sherri Buete rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Sarah C
Sarah C marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Panalopy
Panalopy marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Molly Anna
Molly Anna marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Provichance
Provichance rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Jone
Jone marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Athena Ninlil
Athena Ninlil marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Myreen Lacambra
Myreen Lacambra marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014