Start by marking “The Gap into Madness: Chaos and Order (Gap, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Gap into Madness: Chaos and Order (Gap, #4)

The Gap into Madness: Chaos and Order (Gap #4)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  3,377 ratings  ·  54 reviews
As the planetoid Thanatos Minor explodes into atoms, a specially-fitted cruiser escapes the mass destruction and hurtles into space only a step ahead of hostile pursuit. On board Trumpet are a handful of bedraggled fugitives from an outlaw world - old enemies suddenly and violently thrown together in a desperate bid for survival. Among this unlikely crew of allies are Morn...more
Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages
Published October 21st 2009 by Spectra (first published June 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Gap into Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gap into Madness

Suzana Vuksanovic
This series is every bit as good as Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and (for me) the even better Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
Stephen Donaldson's writing style is most suited to the epic novel (or novels). As he progresses through intricately woven plots he builds empathy and antipathy for characters whose roles relative to eachother he gradually reverses over time - almost leaving the reader unawares - until we find that we are rooting for the ones we started off hat...more
Philip Fracassi
I'm only going to say this once for all 5 books: they are a stellar sci-fi series that any genre addict should read. They are not as great as the first trio of Covenant books, but they are a lot better than some of the recent sci-fi books churned out. That said, they are also more than a little disturbing, and, by the end, more than a little hard to believe. Even sci-fi character can't bend so far until they break, and the main villain of this "franchise" does such a personality 180 that as a re...more
Emily
Apr 30, 2014 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci fi fans
Shelves: novels
Stephen Donaldson's "Gap" series is one my favorite series.

My father handed me the first one, saying, "This first one is full of violence and rape and you'll probably hate all the characters in this first book, but the story just keeps getting better."

He was right. The story begins with a space pirate attack on a police ship and the "rescue" of the last survivor on the police ship and concludes with the human race fighting the Amnion, an alien species capable of extreme genetic manipulation. De...more
Bingo
When a book, or anything else, is as exceptional as the Gap Series has been so far, it means that there are waaaayy more reasons to appreciate the finished product than just those we've discovered. In other words, the presentation is hitting us from every angle, and with more than enough of the subtle things that make us smile.

Chaos and Order continues the adventure with all the advantages that a luxurious 5 volume set can bring to bear on character development and storyline. It brings a deeper...more
Dirk Gently
This book makes me burn with intensity. I crave the raw emotion and intelligence Donaldson wields here. I read that it was based on Wagner's Ring Cycle and the combination of Donaldson and Wagner is perfect. Both works build tension and just add more and more, reaching impossible levels of dissonance and complexity and refuse to provide resolution. Best sci-fi I've read in years. Gritty, passionate and larger than life.
Natz
Dark, disturbing, brilliant and unforgettable! Each and every character has left an indelible impression on me. 5* for the entire series due to its originality, creativity, story telling, character development and momentum... A masterpiece of science fiction. Warning: This is NOT for the faint hearted
Madeline
Even listening to the audio version of this book will leave you feeling like your life is being wasted on its poorly executed content. It's pages and pages of one-dimensional characters having dry conversations with each other, which barely further the plot. No quips, no funny one-liners, no philosophical ponderings; just paragraph after paragraph of, at this point, completely unrealistic characters talking about what they might do in the future or what they may have done in the past rather than...more
Kirt
I read "The Gap" series, a five-novel saga from Stephen R. Donaldson.

I think Donaldson does better with SF than fantasy. The series is set in a future as created by something called the Gap Drive, an FTL travel method that sometimes drives people mad. It starts out with a complicated little minuet of a story involving the lives of three people who live on the fringes of space (the first novel), but over time the series becomes a complicated tale involving a terrible cold war between an alien rac...more
Julie Sherva
Like other Donaldson books this a book about the inhumanity of man to man. The story is very dark and foreboding. The intricacies of the plot are deep and have many layers. I have enjoyed this series so far and am on the last book. Everything is starting to come to a giant climax and I am not sure who will be left when it is finished. With Donaldson you really don't know if the good guys will win.

This is a convoluted story with just about everyone being evil and horrid to others. I found myself...more
Jon
Still gripping and tense, with some great action and interesting, though mostly telegraphed (semaphored?), twists.
Kenny
Just as good as the others - except for the increasing time taken by characters trying to explain to each other what they think is going on - or explaining what has gone on...

But other than that - excellent. Our trio have just destroyed Billingate, and are on the run. Min Donner (Police enforcement chief) is hunting them down - wanting to rescue Morn (captured police) but under orders to kill them all!

Mutating alien virus, immunity drugs, human forces working at odds to each other, Alien warship...more
Tony
I really wanted to dislike the series. The beginning was rough to the point where it disturbed me more than the first books of the series"Bio of a Space Tyrant". I even went as far as to give fairly bad ratings to the individual books. I was horrified wondering what bad things would happen to the characters as I continued to read. I did notice that I wouldn't stop reading the series. Four better or worse, I got hooked by the story. This really is a good series and an enjoyable read. I have updat...more
Sal Coraccio
I love this visceral series.
Hunchback Jack
Mostly concerning the characters' internal struggles, Chaos and Order is the hardest Gap book to get through. There's action: space battles, assassination attempts and treacherous plots. And the characters' turmoil drives the story forward as much as events do. But I wished the characters weren't quite so introspective.

Nevertheless, a cut well above the average SF fare.
Dark-Draco
Oh, plots within plots within plots!! This series is really ramping up now and I can't see how it is all going to be resolved in just one more volume. I really enjoyed reading this. There are some deaths here that are soooo overdue, while others made me wince, however they all fitted in with the story. The Amnion just get scarier, but this novel sees the tide turning against them. I'm rooting for the crew of the Trumpet so hard that I might have to start the next book straight away.
Kate
This is where this series starts to become the sort of gripping science fiction that you absolutely *have* to read until 3 in the morning on a work night. Tense, well plotted and wonderful, the political machinations between the heads of the UMC and UMCP become overwhelming driving poor Morn, Davies and Angus to greater danger and intense emotions.

This is WHY it is worth reading the first in the series, despite its grimness, it all just gets so good!
Craig
A pretty darn thrilling, unpredictable, and ridiculously addictive story. However I must admit I'm starting to get a little tired of the constant repetition of "what has gone before" - each character spends at least as much time thinking about what's already happened as what they're doing at that exact moment. And when you're reading along, on the edge of your seat to find out what happens next, it becomes actively annoying.
Jakub Nowak
Still great. Still ravaging. This time Donaldson slows down with the personal horrors and persecution. There is still a lot of drama but it's rather due to the events set in motion earlier and not the actions of the characters. We meet some new characters and learn about even more tragic predicaments one can get into in space. And it all spirals toward an truly epic ending - with quite a space battle involved.
Matthew
Another piece of the contiguous story of many spacefaring individuals brought together in a struggle they hardly know about. Stephen puts together some interesting Science Fiction with his distinct anti-hero characterization and mature multiple perspective story progression. No character feels to be the primary protagonist and even the antagonists are given enough development to make you care for them.
Rob
This series was amazing constructed using archetypes of the hero, villain, slave, to define main characters roles in each book and then having them switch roles after each one. Built as a tetrahedron the first three books formed a trilogy of character development which was then capped by the fourth. In true Adamsesk fashion he then added a fifth to make it a five book quadrology.

Worth reading.
Tim
It took a while for this series to get going but this has definitely been the best so far. Intergalactic space kick offs with aliens, cyborgs, humans and other stuff.

However, the author still likes to repeat himself over and over again which can be fairly monotonous and I found myself skimming through quite a bit of the prose just to get to the next part of the story.
Rebsta
My review from the previous book pretty much still applies.
Scribble Orca
Murder, mystery, metaphysics, psychology. A sci-fi re-take on Wagner's Ring Cycle. This series is long, dark, absorbing read. Better read together and in order than as individual books, as the many-threaded plot winds through the whole series.
Larry Kenney
Fortunately, this series keeps getting better and better. A lot more tension and better character development makes this a much better book. I'm really enjoying the political struggles, and the escalation of all the conflicts.
Richard
Holy frijole Space batman! The lid is firing off some of the most explosive secrets in the known universe and Morn, Angus, Nick, Davies and Dios stand at the precipice to save or damn all mankind.....
Dave
The continuing adventures of Angus Thermopyle the rapist and Morn Hyland his traumatised victim makes for a fascinating, if rather twisted take on the traditional space-opera format.
Mary Ellen
Excellent book, I recommend the series! Especially if you are a Donaldson fan.. he does not disappoint. This book is action packed and keeps you on the edge most of the book!
Wendy
this series is getting better with each book. at this point I was enjoying it, it was hard to put down as I wanted to know what happened and who was pulping the strings.
Rob Hermanowski
Fantastic action-packed addition to a really good series - this is book four of five - looking forward to completing Donaldson masterful sci-fi epic soon!
Tawny
oooh, can't wait to finish this one. Great plot twists, and character developement, although I am still not sure it was worth the violence of the first book!
  • Diamond Mask (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #2)
  • Hilldiggers (Polity, #2)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist 2: Conflict (Night's Dawn 2)
  • Absolution Gap (Revelation Space, #3)
  • The Broken Wheel  (Chung Kuo, #2)
  • River of Blue Fire (Otherland, #2)
  • Return to Eden
Stephen Reeder Donaldson is an American fantasy, science fiction and mystery novelist. He earned his bachelor's degree from The College of Wooster and master's degree from Kent State University. He currently resides in New Mexico.

Stephen R. Donaldson was born on the 13th May 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio. His father, James, was a medical missionary and his mother, Ruth, a prosthetist (a person skilled i...more
More about Stephen R. Donaldson...
Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #1) The Illearth War (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #2) The Power That Preserves (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #3) White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3) The Wounded Land (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1)