Abused Men: The Hidden Side of Domestic Violence

Abused Men: The Hidden Side of Domestic Violence

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  5 reviews

When most people think of domestic violence, images of battered women or abused children come to mind. But there is another side to this issue that is not as familiar--abused men. This unique book is the first to comprehensively examine this important but neglected social issue. Already praised by a diverse spectrum of readers--from Dear Abby's Abigail Van Buren, to the na

Published September 30th 1997 by Greenwood Press (first published September 1st 1997)

Beth
Aug 22, 2009 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: abuse victims, mental health providers, those with an interest in dyfunctional behavior
For me, this book was a journey into an alien world without resorting to science fiction. I've had no experience with abusive relationships personally and have not had much interaction with anyone in this kind of relationship. It was extremely educational, and I got a much better picture of behaviors and interactions, that honestly, strike me as very very strange. Beyond opening up the strange world of abusive relationships, this book has additional fascinating features.

To begin with, there is...more
Maria Casey
This book is a very very important book. It's one of the first that speaks solely on the issue of domestic violence against men. In some places, it's a hard book to read. The stories of some of the interviewed men were quite heartbreaking.

The main focus of the book is to highlight that violence against men is an issue. Many people still don't understand that men can be victimised too, and this is the first thing that needs to change for men in abusive relationships to get any form of justice.

Th...more
Manda
Very informative, and eye opening.
Rosemariee
Dec 04, 2013 Rosemariee marked it as to-read
I want to read !!
Mohamad Zebarjad
Mohamad Zebarjad marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Victor Cosby
Victor Cosby marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Mikey51
Mikey51 marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Kkimball3
Kkimball3 marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Shashi
Shashi marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Teniscoth
Teniscoth marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Kartika
Kartika is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2014
Dominic
Dominic marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Connie Rivera
Connie Rivera marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Da Bo
Da Bo marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Kalem Wright
Kalem Wright marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Gareth
Gareth marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Anabela
Anabela marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Avani Pandya
Avani Pandya marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Abem Asem
Abem Asem marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Simon Evangelist
Simon Evangelist marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Khalidah Kamal
Khalidah Kamal marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Other books of interest in the same genre 1 1 Oct 24, 2013 12:31AM
When Women Sexually Abuse Men: The Hidden Side of Rape, Stalking, Harassment, and Sexual Assault

“I have yet to meet a domestic relations attorney or judge (and I have discussed this with about thirty attorneys and six judges) who does not agree with this statement: Domestic relations cases should be taken out of the adversarial court system. Lawyers are not trained to deal with the psychological and social problems of families. We should not be asking them to do a job they are not trained to do.” 0 likes