Start by marking “Curse of the Broomstaff (Janitors, #3)” as Want to Read:
Curse of the Broomstaff (Janitors, #3)

Curse of the Broomstaff (Janitors #3)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  879 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
A secret society of Janitors with wizard-like powers continue their battle, and now, the stakes are even higher. The Bureau of Educational Maintenance is after Alan Zumbro and this time they mean business - deadly business. Spencer, Daisy, and their little team of rebels must find the source of all magical Glop and destroy it before it can destroy the world as we know it. ...more
Published September 10th 2013 by Shadow Mountain (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Curse of the Broomstaff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curse of the Broomstaff

Matt Hayes
Sep 22, 2013 Matt Hayes rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly enjoyable.

It was penned by Tyler Whitesides, a friend of mine who I've known for almost three years. I remember back when his first book was in its early stages of the publishing process. A friend showed me the cover of his book, and we became friends with him, talking to him through Facebook, following up on his posts, and eagerly awaiting the release of his first book. JANITORS, it was called. Finally, it was released, and I read it in a night. I remember showing up t
Logan.nester
Dec 09, 2015 Logan.nester rated it really liked it
There are warlocks and magical janitor weapons. The book janitors by Tyler Whitesides has an epic adventure with janitorial weapons. It is a good book for people who like fantasy and monsters because it has a lot of little creatures that feed off of kids brain waves. By breathing out different types of distractions they breath in kids brain waves. They only like elementary and middle school kids. The only thing that can kill them are janitorial weapons. An adventure lurks in the midst of the boo ...more
Raegan London
Feb 02, 2016 Raegan London rated it really liked it
Janitors curse of the broomstaff
Tyler Whiteside
Fantasy

This book is about unusual heros with the tools and lives of janitors. Spencer along with his friend Daisy are janitors in training but get caught in a battle sooner than they were counting on a long with two highly trained janitors Penny and Bernard. They get to work with new tools like healing cleaning solutions and gum scraper swords. Also along the ride they encounter great monsters called Filths with trained riders. They also catch the
Brianna
Feb 08, 2015 Brianna rated it it was amazing
What I thought of this book was amazing. Everything the Author put in made a lot of sense. You could understand what is going on. What this book is about is a boy named Spencer who has to save the schools from not being able to pass their grade they are currently in, because of these creatures that are called toxite, they will make you fall asleep with their breath once they breath it on you, but you don't know, because you can't see them.
At the beginning of the book, the kids(Spencer, daisy,
Ethan
Apr 28, 2015 Ethan rated it really liked it
Rebel janitors using imaginative tools to stop a government agency from letting the majority of kids' brains rot, what's not to love? This series is a fun, easy read, perfect to pick up when you want to escape for a few hours but not get sucked in to a 12 hour marathon read.

The action in the books moves a long briskly and there is plenty of humor to keep it light, but it never degrades to 'bathroom' humor as you might expect in a book about janitors. There are quite a few twists in the series th
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Sep 12, 2013 Aimee (Getting Your Read On) rated it really liked it
As you may or may not know, this book is the third in the Janitors series. I reviewed the first two books last month in preparation of the release of this book.

First thing I have to tell you is that the "message from the author" in the beginning of this book made me laugh. Here's what he says. "Here it is: the third installment in the Janitors series. And I must admit, this is definitely the trashiest book I've ever written. No, literally. This book is full of garbage." How funny is that? And it
Mandi Kaye Ottaway
Curse of the Broomstaff My attention is starting to wane with this series.

That’s disappointing because I was really looking forward to finding a really good Middle Grade series.

In this installment, Spencer has been reunited with his dad – but something is off. Spencer is frustrated and his attitude frequently shows. Daisy is more and more nonsensical. Rather than growing up, she seems to be regressing.

These kids are in elementary school – it’s not quite time for the angsty teen years!

We got to t
Aparajitabasu
Original Link to the review at my blog Le' Grande Codex - here

Presenting Janitors #3 Curse of the Broomstaff by Tyler Whitesides.

Here is the summary of the book:

Heidi
Whitesides has done it again. Curse of the Broomstaff is another creative, delightful read with plenty of excitement and new characters. The way the author takes janitorial supplies and turns them into different types of tools makes for fun reading. Windex turns things into glass, orange cleaning spray heals, and the razorblade that turns into a sword are just a few of the new items seen in book 3. Bernard Weizmann makes an appearance as a garbologist, someone who reads trash the way a dog reads ...more
Rhonda
Sep 08, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it
4 STARS
This is book 3 in the series and the only one that I have read. I expect that if you had read the firsts two books it would be better, but I was able to understand the book by itself.
I have to agree with the author that this is a very trashy book. It deals with a dump truck, part of it is in a landfill even one of the good guys likes to dive into trash cans. This setting is gross I am glad that this book does not smell. Kids probably have more fun with the settings. Like food fight, gett
Ruth Hill
Sep 28, 2013 Ruth Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
As I have stated so many times before, fantasies are not often my thing. This is the third book in the series, and I have not as yet read the first two. But this is definitely a stand-alone book, so don't let that keep you from enjoying this book. Even though this book is not my genre of preference, I can still recognize several things that lead to such a positive review from me.

First of all, there is no profanity and no inappropriate scenes. All "violence" is cartoonish and not scary. I find it
Monica
Sep 12, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is my favorite of the series. I liked how the Rebels followed the clues and how all the clues together played a part in them getting into the landfill. I thought Spencer's character grew a lot in this book, which was fun to watch. I always love Daisy's antics, and I love Penny. I also thought Barnard was a fun addition to the Rebels. I thought the creatures in the landfill were very creative and added some fun, and some not so fun, twists to the story line. I'm sti ...more
Shanda
In the Janitors series, Tyler Whitesides has created a magical, adventure-filled world that middle-grade boys and girls will enjoy visiting again and again. With humor and lots of Glopified action, Spencer and Daisy continue to battle threats to education and learn to use even more magical cleaning supplies as they form new alliances and new enemies.

Germaphobe Spencer must deal with an increased level of gross in order to overcome the new challenges facing him and Daisy as they battle the BEM. F
Sheila
Sep 13, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Janitors has become one of my favorite Middle Grade series. As a teacher, I'm often asked by students and parents what books/series I recommend they read. Janitors is one that I highly recommend and often do.

There is so much to love about this third book. ( I also strongly advise you read the first two books in the series because it will make your read so much more enjoyable.) The main characters, sixth-graders Spencer and Daisy, have grown into their roles as true heroes and rebel fighters. Th
Akoss
Aug 31, 2013 Akoss rated it it was amazing
What a wild ride this book was. Things take off from chapter one and only get more dangerous and treacherous from there.

Spencer and daisy are now part of a special team of rebel janitors with Spencer's dad as the leader. They even have a garbologist who can tell you all about yourself or your family from the content of your trashcan. They set out to find the source of glop, the magical substance that creates Toxites to destroy it.

Old enemies make a come back and they are armed to the teeth in th
Tarah
Sep 26, 2013 Tarah rated it really liked it
Have I mentioned my love for Juvenile Fiction? I must has mentioned it a time or two. This whole Janitor series gets me excited to read these three books to my kids. They might be a little young for it, but I think I'm going to try anyway. All of the books are clean and fun.

Curse of the Broomstaff has Spencer discovering new abilities, reforming old friendships, making new allies, and having to deal with his germaphobia in the middle of a landfill, and bathroom, and lunchroom. Daisy stays sweet
American Mensa
Jul 26, 2013 American Mensa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
"The Janitors: Curse of the Broomstaff" is a book about two kids that set out on a quest to save education and in the long run the world from evil creatures called toxites.They have a group of friends that include a garboligist named Bernard, a toxite scientist named Alan, a warlock named walter, and a weapons specialist named Penny.Together they use mops, brooms, and other janitorial equipment to destroy the toxites and save education.

Those supplies might sound harmless but when Walter and Pen
BookLoversLife
Oct 19, 2013 BookLoversLife rated it really liked it
When I started this series with my kids their first thought was how can a book about janitors that takes place in a school be good? I had to laugh at their reasoning. Well we have read all 3 and that says alot. They really enjoyed each and every one.

My boys loved that this book was action packed. We see some new characters in Curse Of The Broomstaff and new weapons. Who wouldn't love a spray that turns things to glass!! Who would of thought a book with so much trash in it would be so good!!

Both
Scott
Sep 08, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-copy
Curse of the Broomstaff is the third book in the Janitors series. Primarily following Spencer, Daisy, Penny, and Walter there are a few new characters as well. The dump truck was a perfect vehicle for the gang to be driving around in, and the driver was a great addition to the team.

Once again this book involves new varieties of bad guys and the glopified weapons that they are using to try to bring education almost to a halt. And again Walter has used his status as a Warlock to create some new w
M R
Oct 04, 2013 M R rated it it was amazing
The best Janitors book yet! I loved all the trash references. Whitesides brilliant creations and uses of all thing janitorial continues to surprise and delight. Spencer and Daisy continue their adventures in the ongoing battle against the BEM forces that wish to destroy education as we know it. This time they are joined by a quirky garbologist (someone who reads trash), the warlock Walter, Spencer's recently rescued father, and an unexpected old friend. Together, they race to beat the BEM to the ...more
Maria
May 17, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
I don't even know how to cope. I love this series. I am an "easy to please" reader, but this was really good. I haven't read this good of material since Harry Potter. WHY ISN'T THIS BOOK FAMOUS?!?!?!?!?!?! If you have not read the series read it, the books get better and better. This one was magnificent. I am serious. I have a signed copy and waited in line to get one. I procrastinated 4 days of homework to read this.THAT'S HOW GOOD IT IS!
Taffy
Oct 25, 2013 Taffy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
First line:

"Mrs. Natcher's chalk squeaked against the board, and Spencer shuddered at the sound."

Tyler's writing and books keep getting better and better. Poor Spencer. He's a germaphobe and yet his special abilities take him through garbage and filth and dirt. The characters grow and stretch in this book as they meet more bad guys and few more good ones.

I loved the beginning:

"Dear Readers,

Here it is: the third installment in the JANITORS series. And I must admit, this is definitely the trashi
MaxC2020
Nov 04, 2015 MaxC2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone that likes fantasy
Recommended to MaxC2020 by: my mom
Shelves: ms-platt-s-class
i truly loved this book and its goofiness and its super funny and entertaining and i loved all of Tyler Whitesides books in the janitor series that i have read there are still i believe 2 that i haven't read and each one is personally hilarious to me and hopefully any others that would/could possibly want to read this book or any of the other janitors books.
Bryn
Mar 02, 2015 Bryn rated it it was ok
Boring. Incredibly boring.
I find myself not very interested in the series anymore. Granted, they are for younger grades (and I read it with the fact that they are more juvenile in mind), but I could not get into the books. Too much time was spent talking, and then the actual action happened too quick and was not explained very well. Many times I reread a passage to try and understand what was actually happening in a scene, but I could not picture it.
Overall, the idea of the story seems moderat
Pascale
Apr 19, 2016 Pascale rated it liked it
When the rebel janitors discover the aurors, they realize that something strange is going on. I liked this one, a little bit more than the first and second books. I would recommend this for someone who liked the first and second book. They're very similar. Don't read it if you didn't like the first or second book. It's not any better.
Anna
Nov 25, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Some of my kids met the author of this series, and they were very excited to read it. Great upper elementary age book with lots of action in the story as the children battle toxic creatures that distract children from learning in school. The third in the series is our favorite so far, but we can't wait for the last book!
Wendy
Jun 01, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Just as the first two books in this series, Tyler has created another thrill ride! I think this one is my favorite of the three I've read so far. You learn a bit more about the magical world of the Janitors and yet it still has enough mystery (and plot twists) that keep me guessing and wanting to read the next book!
Dena (Batch of Books)
This is the third installment in the Janitors series. Spencer and Daisy meet some new characters and connect with some old ones as well. The dangers are bigger and the stakes higher. The BEM is more powerful than ever and is always one step ahead. This time however, Spencer and his friends find a key piece of evidence that answers a lot of their questions. It also sets them on a course to end toxites once and for all.

This is a fun series, and I know a lot of kids like it. The books are well writ
Nate Coe
Feb 20, 2015 Nate Coe rated it it was amazing
Pure fantasy, just pure epic, dripping fantasy. Janitors is a (obviously) fantasy book by Tyler. This book has many high points but some of the best are the action, the detail and the interesting usage of objects. Later on there is plenty of action for those that like that sort of thing, like when they are chased by a huge vacuum snake . The detail used in this book leaves the reader with no serious lack of needed knowledge, like when Tyler describes the chases scene or when they fly. And Tyler ...more
Steve Weller
Aug 06, 2014 Steve Weller rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better and better. I can see why my students are in a frenzy about these books. If you like Brandon Mull, you'll definitely like these books. Plenty of good twists and turns and magical items in this book, it makes me wonder what will happen in the next one!
  • The Avatar Battle (Cragbridge Hall, #2)
  • Escape From Zarahemla
  • Penumbras (Middle School Magic, #2)
  • The Adventures of Dod, Book 1
  • Angels: Agents of Light, Love, and Power
  • Arcade Catastrophe (The Candy Shop War #2)
  • Fire Keep (Farworld, # 4)
  • The Guardians of the Hidden Scepter
  • Elliot and the Pixie Plot (Underworld Chronicles #2)
  • Shades of Gray, An Autumn Rain Novel (Autumn Rain, #2)
  • Geth and the Return of the Lithens (Beyond Foo, #1)
  • The Legend Thief (The Hunter Chronicles #2)
  • Becoming Isaac: The Next Potter of Niederbipp (Remembering Isaac, #3)
  • Written on Our Hearts
  • Hometown Girl (Butterfly Box, #2)
  • Alcatraz (Alcatraz, #1-4)

Janitors (5 books)
  • Janitors (Janitors, #1)
  • Secrets of New Forest Academy (Janitors, #2)
  • Strike of the Sweepers (Janitors, #4)
  • Heroes of the Dustbin (Janitors, #5)