Start by marking “Shoe Dog” as Want to Read:

Shoe Dog

Shoe Dog loves to chew…well, shoes! But when his choice of chewables leads to trouble, a feline friend has a purr-fect solution.

Shoe Dog likes to chew. And chew and chew. But he doesn’t chew a boring old bone. Not a squeaky old toy. Not a smelly old sock. Nope. Shoe Dogs chews…well, take a guess!

Chewing shoes poses a problem, however, and Shoe Dog needs help to solve it. G
Published March 25th 2014 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books (first published March 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shoe Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shoe Dog

Kaethe
Aug 11, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Dogs aren't especially my thing, although I enjoy patting other people's when I meet them on the street. This is the story of a dog who is adopted into a good home, but hasn't quite gotten the hang of things. With other art it would have been fine, probably still better than average. But Tillotson's dog puts it over the top into adorable. Admire that cover. That is a dog with energy.

Go, read the book and squee. Keep a copy on hand to refer to whenever you hear bad news.

Library copy.
Apr 22, 2016 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A gentle story about an animal shelter puppy who persists in chewing his owner's shoes. It made me sad when his owner kept calling him "bad dog" and banished him which worried the puppy about going back to the "Land of Sad Puppies and Scratched-Up Cats and One-Eared Bunnies." The happy resolution will make this an appealing picture book for dog-lovers of all ages.
Pamela
Stars are pretty much for the illustrations. I felt awful every time Shoe Dog chewed something, because he had an extended punishment. Not good for doggies.
Mary Lou
Jun 29, 2016 Mary Lou rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Phil Knight's memoir Shoe Dog drew my attention as soon as I heard of it. My son was obsessed with Nike shoes in his early teens and the swoosh seems omnipresent in Oregon. I wanted to learn about the man who built such a large company and has become the face of many endowments. I did not expect Knight to be as reflective, reserved, tolerant and loyal as the book portrays.

He tells his story chronologically, beginning in 1962, going through 1980, and ending with a chapter titled, "Night." Details
Amy
Oct 21, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book, cln
I am reading this book for Children's Literature Network and our discussion of possible Caldecott Award-winning books for 2014. It is through the eyes of the illustrations that I will first rate this book. The dog in this story is made up of a bunch of squiggles. While I like the idea of something abstract in children's books, I'm not sure that the choice to make the dog in this story abstract was a good one. Most kids like to read dog books for the cute dog and the dog in this story could've be ...more
Dimity Powell
Sep 16, 2016 Dimity Powell rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Really really captivating illustrations.
Sarah Bishopp Velez
Aug 10, 2016 Sarah Bishopp Velez rated it liked it
McDonald's new picture book, Shoe Dog, is certainly cute, but I found the words and sentence structure to be frightfully helter-skelter. I understand that the author was trying to be somewhat poetic and bring a verse-like quality to the book as well as evoke the enthusiastic energy of the puppy, but the incomplete sentences and interjected speech bubbles were simply confusing. I am still on the fence about Tillotson's squiggly line illustrations for the dog, so I will withhold comment.

Shoe Dog d
Terri
Aug 30, 2014 Terri rated it it was amazing
Read for Chapter and Verse book club. The best, my top choice, of the three that we read as possible contenders for this year's Caldecott.

5 of 5 stars for the story - Shoe Dog is chosen by a loving older woman from the pet store - he has dreamed of a warm, cozy home with a yard to run in captures and lots of shoes to chew. As he destroys all of his owners shoes, he is scolded and eventually relegated to sleeping in the basement - until she brings home a pair of cat slippers. In these he finds sa
Rachel
Apr 25, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Things go flying in this texture-filled tale of a dog who just loves chewing shoes. In fact, he loves them so much, that his owner names in Shoe Dog, a slightly ironical choice, as she does this in a moment when she is shooing him away. Colours shift from bright happy tones as he joyously tears apart his favourite footwear, to dark purples once his owner notices his mischief. Amongst so many patterns, the author needed something to make the dog stand out. A scribbled overtone does the job, and e ...more
Melle
Dec 09, 2014 Melle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who can't find any other good dog picture books
To be honest, I had mixed feeling about this book from a dog behavioral standpoint. The dog was just doing what dogs do, and when the owner experienced the dog chewing on shoes, really, the onus was upon her to do something. Canine behavioral analysis aside, this was a cute story with some sweet illustrations and a good start (adopting a shelter dog -- yay!). But, along with acknowledging the sweetness, I'd like to be a killjoy to say this is not a great book in that it might create expectations ...more
Feb 25, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit, for-aidric
I really liked this book's artwork, that I will say. The artwork was ADORABLE; Shoe Dog himself was just the cutest little wiggle and I 100% wanted him in my own home.

The issue I had with this book, however, was that it was a little sad insomuch as Shoe Dog was yelled at and punished by being left alone at night in the dark :(

I thought Shoe Dog could have done more with teaching kids how to correct poor behavior in puppies/newly adopted dogs; instead, Shoe Dog was yelled at, left alone to be p
Ina
Jul 22, 2014 Ina rated it it was amazing
My story time audience loved this book. It may have been the whimsical illustrations - the dog's body is mostly crayon squiggles and there are giant colorful shoe illustrations (many with pieces missing!) It may also have been the lively text - talking about the "land of upstairs" and shoe boxes that were just the right size and filled with "noisy paper" and stored in "the Forest of Dresses." Shoe dog is *such* a dog and his new owner, "She Herself," who loves shoes yells, "bad dog" with every c ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Megan MacDonald
Atheneum Books
2014
Picture Book
Ages 2-7.

Shoe Dog is a story about a dog who loves to chew on shoes. He is adopted by a lady who owns a lot of shoes. When he chews up all her shoes, he gets in trouble and does not get the affection he wants from his master. Eventually the woman buys something for the dog, so the dog can become a good dog and sleep upstairs with her.
This book was cute and had very interesting illustrations. The fur was illustrated in a very interesting way s
MacK
Jan 20, 2015 MacK rated it really liked it
It's easy to care for animals, but harder to acknowledge their failings. Shoe Dog plays with some of the messy, frenetic look of the titular dog by having movement push the action on page after page. Bounding, bouncing, running, tussling, all the actions of a giddy puppy are plain to see and easy to appreciate. The quieter moments (when the dog is scolded and punished by being removed from the owner's bed to progressively sadder settings) are good counterpoints...but so dark and depressing that ...more
Catherine Austen
Jun 13, 2014 Catherine Austen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The words and pictures work beautifully together in this wonderful book for dog lovers. The words romp and goof around ("between the arms of Comfy Chair in the Land of Upstairs") just like a puppy, and the scribbly dog is a perfectly portrayed personality. (That alliteration was accidental - rest assured there is no irritating alliteration in this book.) It is just so fun to read - it zooms just like a puppy, increasing in tension (will the shoe-nut owner send the high-strung pup back to the Lan ...more
Cecilia
Jun 27, 2014 Cecilia rated it liked it
The illustrations for Shoe Dog were SUPER CUTE OH MY GOODNESS! But the story is a bit lacking because Shoe Dog...does not learn his lessons quickly.

He eats a shoe, he gets yelled at. He eats a shoe, he gets yelled at. He eats a shoe...well, you get it.

I felt like he could probably have struggled a bit more with this dilemma of getting punished for shoe-eating, but he didn't seem to put two-and-shoe together. Like the first time fine he goes all out and gets punished. Each time, I felt, he shou
Relyn
Dec 01, 2016 Relyn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I wouldn't, really.
Recommended to Relyn by: I can't remember which website recommended this one.
Hmmmm.... What to say about Shoe Dog? The title captured my attention right away. I also loved, really loved, the illustrations by Katherine Tillotson. But, the story left me... meh. The little rescue puppy finally learns self-control, which seemed to me more of a pedantic effort than a believeable story about a super-cute puppy. Puppies quit chewing when they grow up, not when they are punished enough. I also think the dog language "forest of dresses" and "She, heself" is confusing for the youn ...more
Tracey
Oct 18, 2014 Tracey rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-bks, fic-es, dogs, level-es
The adorable puppy now has a new home with She, Herself who called him a good boy. But when puppy discovers that her mistress’s bright red high heel is great to chew, he gets in trouble. Any type of shoe will do—high heels, flip flops, sneakers, books, all are intoxicating! She, Herself calls him a bad dog and threatens to take him back, but is that enough to stop him? McDonald’s puppy, drawn with scribbles, shows his high energy and impulsive nature.
Originally posted on mackinbooksinbloom.com.
Samantha
Mar 28, 2014 Samantha rated it liked it
Shoe Dog has a bad habit of destroying anything and everything shoe-related. This gets him nothing but unkind words and banishment from his owner, but he finds it hard to resist his favorite treat. Eventually, he tries exhibiting some good behavior and finds a way to coexist with so many tempting treats.

Crayon and charcoal illustrations (finished digitally) are very inventive. I loved the way Shoe Dog's body is only loosely defined; it made Shoe Dog all the more lovable for me.

I'm a sucker for
Alice
Apr 29, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
The writing and the artwork are well done, but as I find "shoe dogs" infuriating and I am not much of a pet or do person I don't want to give it a high score. Yes books are subjective, and even though it is well done, it is not a "best book" or "love love love " book for me. Someone who is a die hard dog person (like my Sister-in-law) this might be a fun book and you can say "I can totally relate, my dog is just like that" then this is your book...for me a 3 stars is still a really good rating!
Nov 06, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
This is one shoe-lovin' dog. After being rescued from an animal shelter, Shoe Dog discovers the joys of chewing on shoes. Fear of being sent back to the "Land of Sad Puppies and Scratched-Up Cats and One-Eared Bunnies" as well as the disciplinary actions taken by his owner finally makes him behave - well, that and his discovery of cuddly Shoe Cat. The fun text and illustrations will make this a great readaloud.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-1st grade
Clothing: Shoes

This is a fantastic read-aloud full of suspense and an adorable shoe destroyer aptly named Shoe Dog. In the end, his owner tricks Shoe Dog into playing with a slipper cat--which is oddly alive (?!) because it responds to Shoe Dog's loving slobber with a smile and switches to somewhat of a surprised face when Shoe Dog's owner praises him. Anyways, overall it is a truly fun read-aloud.
Rebecca
Sep 10, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
Very cute. Shoe Dog (thusly named because he loves to chew shoes) spends this book trying so hard not to do just that. I love that he's made of a coiled line, and even his jumps are shown with a bouncy line. The "dog language" is also fun (Land of Upstairs, Forest of Dresses). Kids may not get how the owner is not named but is called "She, Herself," but they will understand the theme of resisting temptation.
Liz Todd
Jul 02, 2014 Liz Todd rated it it was amazing
As I read to the kids, I was thinking, "Gosh, this author is really gifted." I just did not expect such beautiful language and pacing with this book. When we looked to see who the author was, I was so happy to see Megan McDonald's name. She is a favorite right now of my 7 yo son (Judy Moody). How cool. I could read this aloud to any group and they would all enjoy it. It is almost poetic.. just right.

Thank you, Megan McDonald for this treasure of a story!

Mary
This is a cute story about a dog who has to learn not to chew on new shoes - it made me uncomfortable every time he did, though, because I knew that he would get in trouble and I imagined how I would feel if my dog were to chew through a new pair of my own shoes. I could see this story going both ways with a child - if there is a child who gets agitated easily, this would not be the best choice. But, if a child has a precocious dog or enjoys this kind of story, then it would be acceptable.
Christine Ridout
Feb 07, 2015 Christine Ridout rated it really liked it
Anybody who has ever had a dog, particularly a puppy, will appreciate this book. Shoe Dog, as you’ve probably guessed, loves to chew his owner’s shoes and he chews lots of them. Whenever he does, he is banished to the dark, cold basement. But when he’s a good dog, he gets belly rubs, nose kisses, and a chance to sleep in his owner’s bed! The kids told me all the antics of their own dogs and we all had lots of fun. Try this book with your little ones.
Meg
Sep 12, 2016 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
MAN what a cute book. While sing-songey language usually doesn't do it for me, I could tolerate reading this book to a small child (ages 0-5) over and over and over. The art style is so endearing and unique, as is the story. Kids will understand Shoe Dog's compulsion to do something bad! And the stakes are high here, even though it's just a picture book. A great read.
Missus B's  Picture Book Reviews
This book is delicious!
Shoe Dog is a super cute and mischievous puppy. A lovely squiggle of charcoal crayon, he bounces through each page in an energetic flurry. See my review with photographs here:
(I read a library copy- my listeners loved it!)
Margie
Jun 24, 2014 Margie rated it it was amazing
Author Megan McDonald and illustrator Katherine Tillotson are back together again introducing readers to the one and only Shoe Dog (A Richard Jackson Book, Atheneum Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing Division). This newly acquired canine companion is possessed with the need to nibble and gnaw.

My full review: http://bit.ly/SZYI9b
Rita
Dec 09, 2014 Rita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, dog
This started off as a very scary story! Who in their right mind would keep buying shoes and letting their puppy tear them apart!!!!??? Thank goodness he learned his lesson. It was a cute story and I felt bad for the sad puppy that had to sleep with the mop for a friend, but I realized if I had a puppy like that I wouldn't have even trusted him with the mop! I really miss having a dog.
Henrico Youth Boo...: Shoe Dog 2 9 Oct 27, 2014 11:32AM
  • Dog in Charge
  • Three Bears in a Boat
  • Dog vs. Cat
  • Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Homer
  • The Troublemaker
  • Tippy-Tippy-Tippy, Splash!
  • How to Lose a Lemur
  • Going Places
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an
More about Megan McDonald...