Start by marking “The Art of the Sale: Learning from the Masters about the Business of Life” as Want to Read:
The Art of the Sale: Learning from the Masters about the Business of Life

The Art of the Sale: Learning from the Masters about the Business of Life

A revelatory examination of the alchemy of successful selling and its essential role in just about every aspect of human experience.

When Philip Delves Broughton went to Harvard Business School, an experience he wrote about in his "New York Times "bestseller "Ahead of the Curve," he was baffled to find that sales was not on the curriculum. Why not, he wondered? Sales plays
Published April 1st 2012 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about The Art of the Sale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of the Sale

Sean Goh
Aug 11, 2015 Sean Goh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pers-dev, biz
Like Daniel Pink's To Sell is Human, but with more compelling stories.

When we sell we are forced to confront the truth about ourselves. What we are willing to do for a buck: the way we present ourselves to different people in different settings to different ends; the extent to which we mix our personal with our professional relationships. There are no right or wrong answers to these questions, but whatever answers we decide upon determine much about who we are and our chances at personal success
Heather
Aug 09, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best on sales I have ever read. This should be required reading for those in the sales industry.

Broughton has a Harvard MBA and yet he understands out underrated sales skills and teachings are, especially in academia. Most graduate (and even undergraduate) program don't teach sales. It it seen as the lowest of the low. Yet sales jobs are some of the highest positions in the world. Broughton digs into this deeper by interviewing various successful sales people to try and close the ga
Bill
If you're in sales, read this book.

If you've ever considered a career in sales, read this book.

If, like me, you've always *avoided* a career in sales because it seemed a little sleazy, or pushy, or just "not you," read this book.

This isn't a how-to on selling, but more like Malcolm Gladwell's books it's a collections of interesting stories from and about top salespeople that tie the subject together and paint the job of selling in whole new light.

The audiobook, read by the author, is excellent.

A
Rolling Ideas
I'm intrigued by the name of the book, "the art of the sale". Yet, the book doesn't read as exciting as the author's previous . The book consists of various stories or movies or personal experience on salesmanship in the previous chapters. Most important is the last chapter where states the main lesson learned, "optimism and resistance" are the shared characters of various salesmen.

It almost seems a book to allow author himself to explore the benign and evil aspects in the salesmanship. In the
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
May 26, 2012 Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
The Art of the Sale by Philip Delves Broughton is a non-fiction book in which the author shares stories and theories about what makes a salesperson. Mr. Broughton believes that we are all salespeople and could use sales skills everyday of our lives.
I’m in agreement.

Using extensive research and personal experience, the author writes about sales techniques from a Moroccan souk to Wall Street financiers, from street vendors to selling we all do each and every day.

The Art of the Sale by Philip Delve
Jeff Brateman
Jun 25, 2016 Jeff Brateman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book on cd, read by the author, and really loved it. Rather than sales techniques, he talks about why we sell, and how selling is human. There were many stories of businessmen, and how they got started selling. Great resource for a diverse range of topics that all come back to how some business titans are really artists with a salesman title. This book has gotten me even more interested in psychology.
Alec Gardner
Mar 24, 2015 Alec Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not your typical "7 Quick Tips for Sales Success". It is a detailed essay on what makes a good salesperson and what sales mean in our day to day lives. Some sections can be repetitive, but it is a worthy read for anyone interested in discovering the true value and discipline of sales.
Elii Skeans
Sep 29, 2014 Elii Skeans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative. Not a "how to" selling guide, but rather a collection of others philosophies with interpretation and analyses. Entertaining and offers many leads towards further reading from sales leaders past and present.

Thank you Philip Broughton!
Derek Lewis
Sep 19, 2013 Derek Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not a how-to book on sales--more of an investigation into being a salesperson.

Broughton did his homework. He takes us on a journey from Morocco to Manhattan, from selling trinkets to technology, from remodeling to Rembrandt.

I sensed that he wasn't trying to make salespeople out to be the saviors of the world, but neither did he try to demonize them, either. In fact, the tone of his narrative often reflected the person he was interviewing and profiling at the moment.

The stories alone a
Leif Denti
Säljbok som mest handlar om några olika "framgångsrika" self-made säljare. Inga principer som jag kunde hänga upp något på. Lärdom: Att sälja abstrakta konsulttjänster är förmodligen den svåraste typen av sälj.
Merrill Clark
I have always enjoyed sales books. (I love Randy Clyde's recommendation of the Spin Selling book.) I heard the author on NPR and was impressed. However, I was not as impressed reading it. I wanted more formulas for better selling. One of the author's subtle contentions is, after being with several great salesman, is there is no formula. However, one could compile the author's experiences with sales people to suggest the following formula: 1) be yourself; 2) get to know the potential customer and ...more
Effendy Yahaya
Jul 02, 2015 Effendy Yahaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Reading pleasure bring me a good assessment of what have I gone through for the past few years on both business, failed. It opens my mind the inter-related of sales underneath the business pillars. Touches also between ethical and individual trust that I have faced, failed. I am picking up these pieces and map into my career growth in sales. That it is, the missing point. Thanks Philip, I shall look into it what has left that I had missed. I have initiated something as I got no ...more
David
Jan 02, 2013 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not terrible but just sort of meandering discussion of salespersonship, structured around visiting successful salespeople in various realms (infomercials, retail, traveling salespeople, realtors.....). Some fairly obvious points about desirability of being optimistic, not taking rejection too hard, etc., but otherwise tends to draw "on the one hand, on the other" conclusions about how there is no one "type" of person who can be successful in this area, and there are greedy scam artists as well a ...more
Madeline
May 03, 2013 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip Delves Broughton is a wonderful writer. He has a wry sense of humor and the ability to mock at himself in an otherwise would be highly perceived situation such as his experience in HBS. I enjoyed his Ahead of the Curve immensely and am very glad he decided to write a book on the art of sale. I like the book so far but think the build-up of the story is a bit lengthy at times. Nevertheless this is the book to buy if you were ever in a sales position at any point of life and wondered how th ...more
Shekhar Kumar
Jan 30, 2014 Shekhar Kumar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I think every one should read this book, because each of us deal with salesmanship in our life. The stories are very interesting!
Tristan Williams
An exploration of sales that finds and interviews revered salespeople across industries and walks of life. With a background far removed from sales, this was really interesting.
Christy Urban
Jun 06, 2014 Christy Urban rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best business books I've ever read.
Tai Tai
Jan 05, 2015 Tai Tai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very different take on why selling is important
Christian Adams
Jun 09, 2014 Christian Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book.
Chris
May 03, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at the work of a variety of salesmen. It combines narrative of the author's observations of various accomplished sellers with research into what makes good sellers, commentary on the ethics of sales, and the role that salesmen play in different types of business organizations. Most of all, it blends the art of selling with the art of living, explaining how selling is part of life for many in all of its exciting, frustrating, depression, and triumphant moments.
Luis Ramos
Great information on sales
Jun 18, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012
There is no definitive conclusion as to what lies behind the art of the sale; we're simply taken for the trip along the author's thought processes while vicariously experiencing interactions with salespeople who are regarded as the best in the business. What surprised me was the amount of psychology and introspection and sheer sensitivity that lays at the foundation of being a salesperson-- who would have thought that the field of sales could be so deep?
Monica
Aug 09, 2012 Monica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because some regulars at my work bought it for me knowing I was an accounting major. I would never have picked this book up on my own and after reading it debated on giving it a 2 or a 3. I gave it a 2 because, compared to other books I've read it was pretty boring, however, for a book on sales it was actually quite interesting. It made a lot of great points, and really got me thinking about what it takes to be in sales.
James Nasipak
May 05, 2014 James Nasipak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Art of the Sale is an excellent book for anyone in business. The misunderstanding of the salespersons relegates them to what Broughton calls the "foot solider" of the company. However, it is the salesperson that moves a company forward. Without the sales force, how is product sold? Without a sales force, how is a company's customer serviced? I highly recommend this book!
Nate Hendrix
Nov 21, 2012 Nate Hendrix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing study of what makes a good salesman. Different personalities are needed to sell different products. This is a must read if you are in sales, it has lessons that help anyone in their everyday life no matter what you do for a living.
Luis
Oct 15, 2012 Luis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about the ideals of what makes a good salesperson. While not a how to book, does have many good tips and pointers. Good read until the end, the epilong was long and did not add anything to rest of the book.
George
Jul 11, 2012 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not a "how-to" as much as it is a memoir or some great sales people. From a Moroccan rug salesman to a guy who sold planes for Boeing. A great read from a writer who admires sales people and their craft.
Don The Idea Guy
Pretty good examples of what drives people in the field of selling, along with some examples of best (and worst) practices. Not my favorite book on the subject, but not bad either.
Stephen
Sep 07, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and well researched. I understand salesmanship better. Wished he would have written about how authors try to sell movie scripts to directors and books to publishers.
Tanya Beaton
Jan 13, 2013 Tanya Beaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 105-books-2013
This is an excellent overview of the universe of sales. I took some valuable nuggets from it and would love for all of my team members to give it a listen!
  • How to Make Money with Social Media: An Insider's Guide on Using New and Emerging Media to Grow Your Business
  • The Portable MBA in Entrepreneurship
  • Jeffrey Gitomer's 21.5 Unbreakable Laws of Selling: Proven Actions You Must Take to Make Easier, Faster, Bigger Sales.... Now and Forever!
  • Inc. & Grow Rich!
  • The Richer Sex: How the New Majority of Female Breadwinners Is Transforming Sex, Love and Family
  • Me, Inc.: Build an Army of One, Unleash Your Inner Rock God, Win in Life and Business
  • Hacking Your Education: Escape Lectures, Save Thousands, and Hustle Your Way to a Brighter Future
  • The Undead: Organ Harvesting, the Ice-Water Test, Beating Heart Cadavers--How Medicine Is Blurring the Line Between Life and Death
  • Networking Is Dead: Making Connections That Matter
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Eat People: And Other Unapologetic Rules for Game-Changing Entrepreneurs
  • The Boy Kings: A Journey into the Heart of the Social Network
  • The Jaws Log
  • Inside the Tornado: Strategies for Developing, Leveraging, and Surviving Hypergrowth Markets
  • Inventology: How We Dream Up Things That Change the World
  • The Art of Profitability
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
I grew up in England, graduated from Oxford University and was a journalist for ten years for The Daily Telegraph and The Times of London. I was The Telegraph's bureau chief in New York and Paris before going to Harvard Business School in 2004 to obtain my MBA. I now live in Connecticut with my wife and two sons."
More about Philip Delves Broughton...

“the best salespeople are very insecure. They passionately want success because they think it’ll make them a different person. Then they achieve success and it dawns on them they haven’t changed at all. What drives salespeople is a need for celebrity. They think that once they’re successful, everyone’s opinion of them will change, and if they can change everyone’s opinion of them, they’ll change themselves. Then they succeed, and realize they haven’t changed at all.” For both the successes and failures, there is the endless rejection, the long line of people saying in so many words “I don’t want you, I don’t want what you have, I don’t want you in my life.” If nothing else, selling is an endless confrontation with truth, the truth about yourself and about others. It is raw and uncomfortable and personally exposing” 2 likes
“Selling is hard to teach because it is about what exists in your head and what goes on in your whole life. The objective in sales becomes the same as that in the rest of your life, to respect others and do best for them. Then you don't have to be a salesperson about what you do. Selling becomes an activity consistent with who you are. (From Mrs. Shibata the top salesperson in Japan)” 1 likes