The Art of the Sale: Learning from the Masters about the Business of Life

The Art of the Sale: Learning from the Masters about the Business of Life

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A revelatory examination of the alchemy of successful selling and its essential role in just about every aspect of human experience.

When Philip Delves Broughton went to Harvard Business School, an experience he wrote about in his "New York Times "bestseller "Ahead of the Curve," he was baffled to find that sales was not on the curriculum. Why not, he wondered? Sales plays...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about The Art of the Sale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of the Sale

Heather Forrester
Probably the best on sales I have ever read. This should be required reading for those in the sales industry.

Broughton has a Harvard MBA and yet he understands out underrated sales skills and teachings are, especially in academia. Most graduate (and even undergraduate) program don't teach sales. It it seen as the lowest of the low. Yet sales jobs are some of the highest positions in the world. Broughton digs into this deeper by interviewing various successful sales people to try and close the ga...more
Bill
If you're in sales, read this book.

If you've ever considered a career in sales, read this book.

If, like me, you've always *avoided* a career in sales because it seemed a little sleazy, or pushy, or just "not you," read this book.

This isn't a how-to on selling, but more like Malcolm Gladwell's books it's a collections of interesting stories from and about top salespeople that tie the subject together and paint the job of selling in whole new light.

The audiobook, read by the author, is excellent.

A...more
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
The Art of the Sale by Philip Delves Broughton is a non-fiction book in which the author shares sto­ries and the­o­ries about what makes a sales­per­son. Mr. Broughton believes that we are all sales­peo­ple and could use sales skills every­day of our lives.
I’m in agreement.

Using exten­sive research and per­sonal expe­ri­ence, the author writes about sales tech­niques from a Moroc­can souk to Wall Street financiers, from street ven­dors to sell­ing we all do each and every day.

The Art of the Sale...more
Derek Lewis
Definitely not a how-to book on sales--more of an investigation into being a salesperson.

Broughton did his homework. He takes us on a journey from Morocco to Manhattan, from selling trinkets to technology, from remodeling to Rembrandt.

I sensed that he wasn't trying to make salespeople out to be the saviors of the world, but neither did he try to demonize them, either. In fact, the tone of his narrative often reflected the person he was interviewing and profiling at the moment.

The stories alone a...more
Leif Denti
Säljbok som mest handlar om några olika "framgångsrika" self-made säljare. Inga principer som jag kunde hänga upp något på. Lärdom: Att sälja abstrakta konsulttjänster är förmodligen den svåraste typen av sälj.
Merrill Clark
I have always enjoyed sales books. (I love Randy Clyde's recommendation of the Spin Selling book.) I heard the author on NPR and was impressed. However, I was not as impressed reading it. I wanted more formulas for better selling. One of the author's subtle contentions is, after being with several great salesman, is there is no formula. However, one could compile the author's experiences with sales people to suggest the following formula: 1) be yourself; 2) get to know the potential customer and...more
David
not terrible but just sort of meandering discussion of salespersonship, structured around visiting successful salespeople in various realms (infomercials, retail, traveling salespeople, realtors.....). Some fairly obvious points about desirability of being optimistic, not taking rejection too hard, etc., but otherwise tends to draw "on the one hand, on the other" conclusions about how there is no one "type" of person who can be successful in this area, and there are greedy scam artists as well a...more
Madeline Shuhui
Philip Delves Broughton is a wonderful writer. He has a wry sense of humor and the ability to mock at himself in an otherwise would be highly perceived situation such as his experience in HBS. I enjoyed his Ahead of the Curve immensely and am very glad he decided to write a book on the art of sale. I like the book so far but think the build-up of the story is a bit lengthy at times. Nevertheless this is the book to buy if you were ever in a sales position at any point of life and wondered how th...more
Shekhar Kumar
Very good book. I think every one should read this book, because each of us deal with salesmanship in our life. The stories are very interesting!
Christy Urban
One of the best business books I've ever read.
Chris
An interesting look at the work of a variety of salesmen. It combines narrative of the author's observations of various accomplished sellers with research into what makes good sellers, commentary on the ethics of sales, and the role that salesmen play in different types of business organizations. Most of all, it blends the art of selling with the art of living, explaining how selling is part of life for many in all of its exciting, frustrating, depression, and triumphant moments.
Luis Ramos
Great information on sales
There is no definitive conclusion as to what lies behind the art of the sale; we're simply taken for the trip along the author's thought processes while vicariously experiencing interactions with salespeople who are regarded as the best in the business. What surprised me was the amount of psychology and introspection and sheer sensitivity that lays at the foundation of being a salesperson-- who would have thought that the field of sales could be so deep?
Monica
I read this book because some regulars at my work bought it for me knowing I was an accounting major. I would never have picked this book up on my own and after reading it debated on giving it a 2 or a 3. I gave it a 2 because, compared to other books I've read it was pretty boring, however, for a book on sales it was actually quite interesting. It made a lot of great points, and really got me thinking about what it takes to be in sales.
James Nasipak
The Art of the Sale is an excellent book for anyone in business. The misunderstanding of the salespersons relegates them to what Broughton calls the "foot solider" of the company. However, it is the salesperson that moves a company forward. Without the sales force, how is product sold? Without a sales force, how is a company's customer serviced? I highly recommend this book!
Nate Hendrix
This is an amazing study of what makes a good salesman. Different personalities are needed to sell different products. This is a must read if you are in sales, it has lessons that help anyone in their everyday life no matter what you do for a living.
Luis
Interesting book about the ideals of what makes a good salesperson. While not a how to book, does have many good tips and pointers. Good read until the end, the epilong was long and did not add anything to rest of the book.
George
This book is not a "how-to" as much as it is a memoir or some great sales people. From a Moroccan rug salesman to a guy who sold planes for Boeing. A great read from a writer who admires sales people and their craft.
Don The Idea Guy Snyder
Pretty good examples of what drives people in the field of selling, along with some examples of best (and worst) practices. Not my favorite book on the subject, but not bad either.
Stephen
Well written and well researched. I understand salesmanship better. Wished he would have written about how authors try to sell movie scripts to directors and books to publishers.
Tanya Beaton
This is an excellent overview of the universe of sales. I took some valuable nuggets from it and would love for all of my team members to give it a listen!
Jenny
This was a well written book, but the subject didn't interest me very much. I got distracted by other books and didn't finish it.
Kimberly
Interesting philosophy of the psychology of sales. It describes the personality traits that make a salesperson successful.
Theadros Russom
Stories about storytelling sales champs. You find sales in every day life so it's a must read for everyone.
Gary
This is an interesting survey of the art of the sale and those that do it best.
Jim
Highly enjoyable and instructive. Not a how-to as much as a why that illuminates the how.
Dan

Fantastic honest look at selling and salespeople.
Rashmi Ravindran
Excellent content, dismal editing..
I grew up in England, graduated from Oxford University and was a journalist for ten years for The Daily Telegraph and The Times of London. I was The Telegraph's bureau chief in New York and Paris before going to Harvard Business School in 2004 to obtain my MBA. I now live in Connecticut with my wife and two sons."
More about Philip Delves Broughton...
Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School What They Teach You at Harvard Business School: My Two Years Inside the Cauldron of Capitalism Life's a Pitch: What the World's Best Sales People Can Teach Us All Management Matters: From the Humdrum to the Big Decisions The Financial Times Guide to Management: The Art and Science of Being an Effective Manager

“Selling is hard to teach because it is about what exists in your head and what goes on in your whole life. The objective in sales becomes the same as that in the rest of your life, to respect others and do best for them. Then you don't have to be a salesperson about what you do. Selling becomes an activity consistent with who you are. (From Mrs. Shibata the top salesperson in Japan)” 1 likes
“Here lies the challenge in finding good salespeople. You need excellent empathizers who aren't so empathetic they can't close a sale. And you need people with strong ego needs who can still take a moment to figure out what another person wants. They must be aggressive enough to close, but not so aggressive they put people off. Too much empathy and you'll be a nice guy finishing last. Too much ego drive and you'll be scorching earth everywhere you go. Not enough of either and you shouldn't be in sales at all. It's a miracle anyone can do this job.” 1 likes