Start by marking “Chu's First Day of School (Chu, #2)” as Want to Read:
Chu's First Day of School (Chu, #2)
Preview

Chu's First Day of School (Chu #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  515 ratings  ·  125 reviews
It is Chu's first day of school. Chu is nervous.

He hopes the other boys and girls will be nice. Will they like him?

What will happen at school today?

Will Chu do what Chu does best?
Published 2014 by Harper Collins Children's

To ask other readers questions about Chu's First Day of School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chu's First Day of School

The Kissing Hand by Audrey PennDavid Goes To School by David ShannonMiss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph SlateThe Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha WingChu's First Day of School by Neil Gaiman
Picture Books About Kindergarten
5th out of 102 books — 10 voters
Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten? by Audrey VernickI Am Too Absolutely Small for School by Lauren ChildSeymour Slug Starts School by Carey Armstrong-EllisStarting School by Jane GodwinThe Triplets Go To School by Mercé Company
Picture Books about School
8th out of 22 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

3.5 Stars

Chu's First Day of School is soooooo adorable!

This panda makes me want to go out and buy bushels of stuffed animals to hug! That look! The look on Chu’s face could melt the grouchiest grouch in all the land.

A cute, quick tale about first day of school jitters. A tale that shines with a just be yourself message. Don’t be afraid to talk and share. Let it all out. Haha….Chu certainly does. :)

That said though…I did not enjoy this story as much as the first book. The ending felt abrupt. I ev
Romelle
The first line of the book felt out of place: "There was a thing Chu could do." It didn't need to be there, but I realized author Neil Gaiman wanted to set us up early on. It definitely served as a "hook." Otherwise, we may feel like this is another first day of school kind of book...which it is. Chu is nervous about going to school. He worried whether the kids would like him or if they would be nice. When he got to school, each student shared what they love to do, but Chu found himself speechle ...more
Kat
Basic Plot: It's all in the title.

The art in this book is simply adorable. There are some truly wonderful, subtle details to the pictures to get any small child talking about what characters are thinking/feeling and what is happening. Gaiman's simple prose had my son anticipating the pattern of the story and excitedly reciting along on the first read through. Impressive. I adore Neil Gaiman, and Chu just gives me another reason to keep on doing so.
Jeremy West
Gaiman is back with his signature quirky style in this fun follow-up to Chu's Day. It's Chu's first day of school and he wants new friends...but can he keep his secret for long? I adore these books and want them to keep going forever.
Maggie KutsBorg
Really a far cry from the first one, which has a really funny story. This one is just the typical "I'm scared of school / I'm at school / School was ok!" story that just .... zzzzzzzzzzz. I also felt like the text and pictures don't establish Chu's positive experience of school at all; he does his big sneeze, and the other characters smile a bit in their reaction shot, then it cuts immediately to after school with the parents. Illustrations are luminous and full of great details as before, howev ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
The cute and adorable Chu that we first met in Chu’s Day is back and is getting ready for school. Chu is worried about if everyone will be nice or if everyone will like them. After assurances from his parents he heads to school. The teacher wants the class to introduce themselves to each other and tell what they do best. The teacher writes each student’s name on the chalkboard. But there isn’t enough room, so she has to erase…which creates a lot of chalk dust. And that results in something that ...more
Denis Vukosav
‘Chu's First Day of School’ written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Adam Rex is beautiful book for children which speaks about an event that we never forget - the first day of school, the second in the series that follow this young panda character.

The main character is a cute young panda named Chun who is heading for his first day of school which makes him nervous because he doesn’t know what to expect – how the other panda peers will be to him, who will be his teacher, what will happen at sch
Karl Orbell
A very quick little picture book for young children, the second in the series following the young panda, Chu.

Have bought this for my nephew, who will shortly be three; he will definitely love it. The story isn't up to much this time, not that the last one was exactly Paradise Lost, but the plot here is about two sentences worth. But the joy of these books is really in the artwork, Adam Rex does a superb job, the images are beautiful and quite involved so warrant a good look with the little ones,
Brenna
The very cute sequel to Chu’s Day follows young Chu (a panda who must have some very serious allergies) on his first day at school. Chu worries about whether his classmates will like him and about his special talent.

As you’d expect from a picture book detailing with a child’s first day this book addresses children’s fears of staring school, being away from the home, and being accepted by their peers. There weren’t any surprising moral or thematic take-aways or lessons here but that shouldn’t sto
Samantha
I like it and I don't like it. The language was just a little awkward for me. The content was good: beginning school fears. I liked the scenes in which the children were sharing what they each liked to do and Chu's dynamic presence, but the text felt choppy when I tried reading the book aloud.

Oil and mixed media illustrations. PreK-2.
Bunny
If Chu can survive sneezing his classroom into chaos on the first day, your kid can survive anything the first day of school throws at him.

My godkids have both already started school (1st and Pre-Pre-K), so the message wasn't quite needed. But the story itself is so much fun, and the illustrations are gorgeous. My kids loved pointing out the animals and naming them all. We'd already done Chu's Day, so Allison kept going, "Ah....ah...."

The sneeze got great laughs and "Achoo"ing from both of the
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
This was a very cute book. I like that it shows Chu being afraid that the other kids may not like him (not just being afraid to go to school). I think a lot of kids have this fear. On top of the nice story, the illustrations are wonderful and had a slightly realistic feeling to them. I think it made them very unique images. Chu is adorable. I love his aviator helmet and goggles. Mr. Gaiman has written a nice picture book about going back to school. I love Chu’s talent, or as his new teacher says ...more
Diane
"There was a thing that Chu could do."

Chu, the little panda, is worried about starting school. He seeks reassurance from his parents. When Chu arrives, there all different kinds of students and the teacher seems nice and friendly. All the students are asked to give their name and tell one thing that they can do. Chu's own talent is then revealed.

A great way to start off the story is to have students see if they can figure out what Chu can do by looking at the picture. What clues are there? Stu
David Musto
In the first book, Chu's Day (now available as a board book), Chu, a young panda, is taken to dinner and even the circus by his parents. All the while, there is the constant threat of a sneeze for the poor little panda. No big deal except for his extraordinary skill. His sneeze can send out shock waves for miles, just strong enough to discombobulate people and places. He finally does so under the big top as animals, furniture, and even vehicles are sent careening about.

Please read the rest of my
Beth
Just like with the first Chu book, the story didn't wow me but Adam Rex's endearing illustrations did.
Karen
My five-year-old son will be starting school this Fall. He will need to make new friends because the kids he knows from the library and the church don't attend his school. He is a little worried about that.

This book is perfect. Although the first page did confuse me a little, it also added to the mystery of the book -- just what could Chu do? And even though all the other kids are special with their talents, Chu (and my son) is special with his talent.

The picture-perfect illustrations by Adam
Sara Santana
This book is simply adorable. I can't handle a kid's book about pandas, my second favorite animal
Venus
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

It is Chu's first day of school. Chu is nervous. He hopes the other boys and girls will be nice. Will they like him? What will happen at school today? Will Chu do what Chu does best?

It's that time of year folks. The back to school (or first time in school) books are making their way to the shelves, trying to alleviate fears and make school sound fun and exciting. They all do it fairly well, especially since the target age, preschool to 2nd grade, re
Bea
Chu the sneezing panda is back and nervous about starting school. He worries if he'll like it, he worries if the others will like him, but he doesn't, oddly, worry about his sneezing. It's a pretty standard story, with nothing new to add about starting school or what school is like. The artwork is still a delight, with the last few pages at school full of vivid visual details.

The teacher asks each student to say their name and one thing that they love doing, Ar first, the answers are cliched: th
Fats
I remember how I grabbed Chu's Day from the shelf of a Barnes & Noble store and enjoyed reading the book. Neil Gaiman and Adam Rex are back (and so is Chu!) in this follow-up picturebook, Chu's First Day of School. Although the illustrations in this book were as adorable as those in the first, I thought that Chu's First Day of School lacked the charm that the first one had. Nevertheless, this book still makes a nice, short read-aloud for younger children.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Like many children, Chu is nervous about his first day of school. He has the usual concerns and questions; what will happen in school, will they like him. Once he gets there, he discovers that he has to introduce himself to the other children by saying his name and one thing that he loves to do. That’s when he becomes very quiet and is reluctant to share, but then, finally, he has no choice because it all comes out. This is a cute, humorous picture book that might just have to be read several ti ...more
Jen
Chu is going to school for the very first time and he's nervous. He's wondering questions many students wonder, "Will they like me?" "Will they be nice?" When Chu's teacher asks them to go around the classroom and tell one thing they love to do, he's not sure what he's going to say until the chalk dust starts to fly around the room!

Cute book that I shared today, on our first day of school, with my Kindergarten students.
Rebecca
I was a bit more pareve about the original Chu book, which seemed to me to rely too heavily on a single gag, but this book charmed the pants off my 5 year old, who will be starting her first day in full-day school next week. The "Ah-choo" joke remains, but it's put into a more meaningful context here by Mr. Gaiman. The parents are surprisingly complex. The artwork by Adam Rex is subtle and attractive. Definitely a winner.
Debbie Tanner
This is a funny little story about a panda's first day of school. It talks about how nervous he is and how the other kids and the teacher seem a little scary at first but eventually, they connect and find out that school is fun. It would work well with some of the other books about the first day of school like "Pete the Cat Rocking in my school shoes" by Eric Litwin, or "First Day Jitters' by Julie Dannenberg.
Erin
Chu is nervous about his first day of school. The class gathers in a circle to tell each other their names and something they love doing. Everyone has something fun and exciting to tell about. Chu worries that he will be judged for his humongous sneezes that wreck entire rooms. The class didn't care one bit when the chalkboard dust caused him to sneeze.

Good for preschool storytimes.
Sharon
Written and narrated by Neil Gaiman
HarperAudio, 2014

Another gentle picture book (illustrations by Adam Rex) featuring the little panda, Chu. Here, he worries about going to school and whether or not the others will like him. Gaiman's narration is well-suited to the text, with soothing inflection and unhurried pacing. It works very nicely as a stand-alone story, albeit a very short one. I'm not sure of the audience for a 3 minute, stand-alone audio.

However, the text is in a picture book and this
Margie

Whether readers are acquainted with Chu or not, Chu's First Day of School written by Neil Gaiman with illustrations by Adam Rex is just the ticket for easing those first day jitters. It encourages individuality and acceptance of our special qualities and gifts. For those of us who already know Chu, this is another gem to tuck away in our treasure chest. This is a collaboration of two outstanding talents worth sharing with the intended audience. You won't even mind reading it ten times ten.

My ful
Amanda
If you have read the first book, you knew it was coming, you just didn't know when. Waiting for it was part of the fun (see how hard I am trying not to give away anything here?); the rest for me was the charming illustrations and the sweet story--common theme of first day jitters--handled deftly without going over the top. Didn't love it quite as much as the first but loved it still the same.
Renee
Chu is nervous to go to school. He is quiet when the kids are asked to introduce themselves and tell about something they are good at. However, a cloud of chalk dust tickles his nose and he is able to show what he is good at! ( a big sneeze takes the roof off of the school!). The classmates like it and Chu ends the day feeling good about his new class and school year.
Elena
Apr 24, 2015 Elena rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kid's book enthusiasts, panda enthusiasts
Recommended to Elena by: I have a signed copy of Chu's Day, enough said. ;)
I went to the signing of the original Chu's Day in February of 2013 and it was a magical day for me. I love pandas and so does Neil. I'm fascinated by these Chu books, although I am of course an adult reader. I got this title from Audible for a change of pace/quick infusion of Neil's awesome narration. I store up Neil audiobooks, and when I need "an infusion of Neil," usually when frustrated, sick, or being an insomniac, I bring one out. This book is adorable. I do think it would be even better ...more
  • Froodle
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • The Pout-Pout Fish Goes to School
  • The Midnight Library
  • Dinosaur vs. School
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • Flora and the Penguin
  • Bear Sees Colors
  • Baby Bear
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • Peggy
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • Three Bears in a Boat
  • Ribbit!
  • How to Lose a Lemur
  • Little Elliot, Big City
  • Flashlight

Chu (3 books)
  • Chu's Day (Chu, #1)
  • Chu's Day at the Beach
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere Stardust