Start by marking “Padre Pio: Man of Hope” as Want to Read:
Padre Pio: Man of Hope

Padre Pio: Man of Hope

Beatified on May 22, 1999, Padre Pio of Pietrelcina (1887-1968) was a Capuchin monk and mystic whose life was marked with miracles and wonders, but who said that his only desire was "to be a poor friar who prays." Observes the author: "When people write about Padre Pio, they tend to dwell on the penitential aspect of his life, thereby giving a somewhat dark and medieval ti ...more
Published February 4th 2000 by Servant (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Padre Pio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Padre Pio

Jen Mac
Dec 25, 2011 Jen Mac rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading about my first Blessed Padre Pio. I highly encourage to take a glimpse of what his life was like. I believe since reading the book he has a special place within my family. My brother ended reading bits and pieces and he followed with a presentation .. In public school about Padre Pio. There are some other interesting similarities and I am glad the Lord helped guide me to read this book. I am fascinated that Blessed Padre Pio could bi locate, he is known as the great confessor a ...more
Jacqueline
May 01, 2007 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Frist book I read about a saint and it was fantastic. I would recommended anyone this copy if interested in this man's story.
Lucia
Feb 17, 2014 Lucia rated it liked it
Ordinarily, I give books like this higher ratings, but while I learned a lot about Padre Pio, I found the writing style rather frustrating and thought that some information was confusing or presented in a way that wasn't chronologically sensible. I also thought the book dwelled on some rather uninteresting facets of the monk's life - such as the whole political ordeal surrounding the House of Relief of Suffering and in some ways these worldly details detracted from Padre Pio's real message and m ...more
Tony Dellwo
Apr 25, 2016 Tony Dellwo rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful books I have ever read. If you are interested in Padre Pio start with this book it contains information that most others don't. You'll absolutely love this book.
Sasha
Feb 07, 2016 Sasha rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Padre Pio as I read this book, his entire life was a continuous series of miracles and heroic virtue and suffering. It was his extremely sensitive heart and spirit that got me. I only hope most humbly that I could become one of his spiritual daughters.
Dawn
Apr 10, 2013 Dawn rated it it was amazing
A friend gave me this book at Christmas. I started reading it when I was going through a difficult time. I found it so inspiring, I passed it on to my husband. He found great comfort in the book, also. At Easter we went to confession, took communion, and began attending weekly Mass. Reading this book makes it very hard to disbelieve in miracles and miraculous people.
Ernesto Giacomo
Feb 23, 2014 Ernesto Giacomo rated it it was amazing
I liked Renzo Allegri's journalistic approach. Of course, I was already convinced of Padre Pio's blessedness before I read this book. Although if I were not convinced, I think this book would've made me think otherwise.

Allegri's writing is clean, crisp, and clear. It's no nonsense and all business. Molto bene Signor Allegri.
Eve
Jan 27, 2013 Eve rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed learning about the life of this saint, his trials and difficulties and how he handled them, the reactions of peers, superiors, and the public at large. This book gave me a strong sense of Padre Pio's life and piqued my interest to learn more about this amazing person.
Sylvia
wonderful story...amazing that its true. I really wish i could have met Padre Pio. He was beyond remarkable. The pain he bore especially at the end made me cry. Pray for me Padre and visit me with your love and prayers.
Rosalva
Jul 07, 2009 Rosalva rated it it was amazing
Great book tells story of Padre Pio's life I luv this saint his life is an inspiring effect on me. I consider Padre Pio to have so much influence on me and my faith. LUUVVED IT :)
Nancy
Dec 30, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Very interesting; I didn't know much about Padre Pio before this book/ The writing style was rather stilted, and awkward at times, but the information was valuable.
Chris
Jul 12, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
Very well-written presentation of St. Pio's life. It is amazing to see how a soul can use the gifts God gives him. The book inspires me to live more holy.
Frances
Dec 29, 2010 Frances rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, emotional, inspirational an insight into the life of Padre Pio which truly amazed me...one of the best books I am glad I ever read!
Justin
There are some really great miracle stories in this book. The writing style and research are very accessible.
Patrick\
Still waiting for the right biography. This one is good and an essential read for approaching Pio.
Sep 03, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
A solid, referential book about one of the greatest saints on the 20th century.
Luanne Lusic
Nov 30, 2012 Luanne Lusic rated it it was ok
This book gives a general idea of what Padre Pio was like, but is lacking in substance.
Gino
Aug 23, 2012 Gino rated it liked it
Great book on the life of a current saint, confessor and miracle worker.
Eve
Nov 19, 2010 Eve rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I felt like I knew the man personally.
Dana
Oct 12, 2010 Dana rated it it was amazing
So far I love this book. It was recommended by my RCIA teacher.
Michael Ortiz
Jan 28, 2010 Michael Ortiz rated it liked it

Good, not always lively writing, amazing Saint!
Tia
Aug 08, 2011 Tia rated it it was amazing
TERRIFIC BOOK OF A GREAT SAINT!
Crystal824
Jul 21, 2008 Crystal824 rated it really liked it
What an amazing saint!
Robert Sarault
Robert Sarault marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Chistina
Chistina rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Elise Kerr
Elise Kerr is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2016
Kristie
Kristie marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Margaret Pollard
Margaret Pollard marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Amanda Marie
Amanda Marie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
  • Fire Within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • Arise from Darkness: What to Do When Life Doesn't Make Sense
  • Miracle of Love: Stories about Neem Karoli Baba
  • The Incorruptibles: A Study of Incorruption in the Bodies of Various Saints and Beati
  • The Way