Start by marking “Magnetism ” as Want to Read:
Magnetism

Magnetism

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Film star George Hannaford oozes charm. Although women fall at his feet, his marriage is the most solid in the movie business. But when he sees his wife staring into another man's eyes and returns home to a blackmailer demanding fifty thousand dollars, he begins to doubt everything. This book is part of the 'Great Loves' series.
Paperback, Great Loves, #12, 128 pages
Published August 31st 2007 by Penguin (first published 1928)

To ask other readers questions about Magnetism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magnetism

Daisy Contreras
A quick yet entertaining read.
Fitzgerald focus' the plot on relationships among a group of somewhat stars. George is a charming and captivating man who oozes a warm personality that seams to draw many women. However, despite his apparent magnetism he is only concerned about one woman, Kay his wife, and their marriage.
Their powerful and romantic marriage is clouded by his wife's jealousy, and her actions due to her feelings. The main conflict consists of the surprise blackmailer and her unrequi
Virencia
Fitzgerald's conceptions of love are profound.

He got me as far as having to put down the book for a moment and let all that feeling overwhelms me, right after I finished reading the first story ("The Sensible Things"). Very intimate, very intense, yet very realistic. He captured 'charm' in a scandalous manner in "Magnetism", yet managed to be faithful to the responsible nature of 'love'. He produces love out of entwined virility conquest and feminine confusion in "The Bridal Party", from which w
Cheryl
Delores, the young maid, was sweeping the steps of the biggest house on the street when she tripped on the broom and fell off the stoop. George Hannaford, her employer and Hollywood star, hurried down the stairs, touched her arm as a helpful gesture and said, "I hope you didn't hurt yourself."
The unhurt woman thought quickly of having a love affair with him.

What is it about a person that makes the other take notice, captures their attention, and is the cause of intense emotions though unrecipro
Tim Cole
Reason for reading:
The honest answer…. I needed to read something short, quick and easy to get me back on schedule. This, one of the 20-book Penguin Great Loves collection, was what I was looking for. Fitzgerald always makes life easy for the reader. Read it in 24 hours. Marvellous.

About the book:
Four short stories originally published between 1920 and 1930. ‘The Sensible Thing’, The Bridal Party, Magnetism and Bernice Bobs Her Hair. A love lost and rediscovered in a different form. Anguish over
Shiva Ranjan
Classic Fitzgerald!!!! Love can be many things for many people - Love is strange, love is blind, love is precious and love is fragile. But to all of us love is life!
Pink
Four very short Fitzgerald stories, all equally fun and quick to read. This reminds me why I enjoy his writing so much.
Pierce
Four short stories. The first three read like '30s society movies. Everyone is beautiful and intelligent and burdened with great wealth and burning desires...

The last one (Bernice Bobs Her Hair) I had actually seen a short film of when I was very young and for some reason it had stuck with me. It was strange to read through scenes I've had lodged in my head forever.

Mainly I just bought it for the cover. Have you seen this Penguin Great Loves series? Gorgeous.
Maria Ch
Four short stories, the first three were similar in theme, the fourth one deviating and my favorite one. The first two are about a man not being able to be with the woman he loves because he hasn't made his name yet and he doesn't have the money. The third one is about a man and his wife being enstranged even though they were very much in love and the last one is about girl rivarly with a nice ending. Overall a good read since Fitzgerald's writing is at all times pleasant and is worth the time t ...more
Emilie
It was fine, just don't get why people fall over themselves about Fitzgerald. The Bernice story was mildly amusing but the others were rather dull, a little like a Woody Allen film. A portion of society I would have hated to have been exposed to, let alone involved with, Fitzgerald just can't seem to get away from trying to explain his emotional failures and his white middle-class guilt for being such a privileged jackass. As unimpressed with his short stories as I was with the Gatsby. Much ado ...more
Jessica
There is just absolutely nothing about F.Scott Fitzgerald that does anything for me. Nothing at all. There's nothing actively bad about this or any of his other short stories, and they're certainly better than his longer fiction, but... I'm always left wondering why he bothered.
Maybe that's the whole message that Fitzgerald is trying to convey in his work: why bother?
Possibly worth a re-read with that in mind - but I don't think I'll bother.
Anna
I may have grown out of Fitzgerald, as sad as it makes me to say that. I didn't find pleasure in these stories of love. I found it very difficult to believe the feelings these characters had actually was love rather than fulfillment of an expectation or some internal need. I think I need to reread the novels and see how I feel then. I was much more of a romantic in my younger days.
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
I don't know why but I didn't like this story much.. A story of a charming man and the circle of women around him.. The story seemed a bit vague.. But like he says,there are many types of love in this world.. We can always choose to dislike but still there are such things.. My first negative experience with Fitzgerald.. But I won't give up.. Hope to read more..
Grace
In short, I do like F Scott Fitzgerald's work, because his books are reminiscent of a light read which you want to pick up to escape from the humdrum of life, except more articulate than the modern light read. Nevertheless, short stories are always appreciated and the allure of Fitzgerald's work still has its magic on me.
Elena
'Think how you love me,' she whispered. 'I don't ask you to love me always like this, but I ask you to remember.'

'You'll always be like this to me.'

'Oh no; but promise me you'll remember.' Her tears were falling. 'I'll be different, but somewhere lost inside me there'll always be the person I am tonight.'
Katie
This is a collection of four short stories: The Sensible Thing, The Bridal Party, Magnetism, Bernice Bobs Her Hair. They are all well written with an effortless air about them and very enjoyable. My favourite is probably Bernice Bobs Her Hair, the characters were well thought out and I loved every second of it.
Gwen
I enjoyed this book, mostly because I adore Fitzgerald's writing style and not as much because of the short stories as some were not as good at keeping my attention as I'd hoped.
Emma
This was a wonderful little collection of stories. I particularly like the final one, my heart was actually pounding as it reached the deliciously devilish climax.
Pierre Decote
Loved it. Everything about it. The style, the era, the characters, the length of each sentence, the choice of vocabulary. A beauty
Samuel
Meh. I have hardly a jot of empathy with Fitzgerald's characters, which is probably why I've never enjoyed his books that much.
Julia
A cute, light little afternoon read. I'll be adding more F. Scott Fitzgerald to my to-read collection as a result.
Roos
Witty and well-written stories that truly display Fitzgerald charm and insight.
Nilufa
Can you tell Fitzgerald was affected by his traumatic marriage(?)
Sophie
Fitzy, you are a lovely old sport.
Dawn
classic Fitzgerald... brilliant...
Elle
Ugh Fitzy the things you do.
Marika
Marika added it
Jul 04, 2015
Fahad
Fahad added it
Jul 03, 2015
  • Bodily Secrets
  • Something Childish But Very Natural (Penguin Great Loves, #13)
  • The Women Who Got Away
  • A Mere Interlude
  • A Russian Affair
  • The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love (Penguin Great Loves, #3)
  • Cures for Love
  • Eros Unbound
  • Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests
  • Deviant Love
  • Doomed Love (Penguin Great Loves, #1)
  • Forbidden Fruit: From The Letters of Abelard and Heloise (Penguin Great Loves, #2)
  • The Virgin and the Gipsy
  • Mary
  • The Seducer's Diary
  • First Love
  • Love-Letters Between a Nobleman and His Sister
  • And Yet They Were Happy
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
The Great Gatsby Tender Is the Night This Side of Paradise The Curious Case of Benjamin Button The Beautiful and Damned

“Think how you love me,' she whispered. 'I don't ask you to love me always like this, but I ask you to remember.'

You'll always be like this to me.'

Oh no; but promise me you'll remember.' Her tears were falling. 'I'll be different, but somewhere lost inside me there'll always be the person I am tonight.”
996 likes