Start by marking “Cold Print” as Want to Read:
Cold Print

Cold Print

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  615 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A collection of Ramsey campbell's horror stories, including The Church in the High Street, The Room in the Castle, The Horrors from the Bridge, The Insects from Shaggai, The Render of the Veils, The Inhabitant of the Lake, The Will of Stanley Brooke, The Moon-Lens, Before the Storm, Cold Print, Among These Pictures Are, The Tugging, The Faces at Pine Dunes, Blacked Out, an ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 15th 1987 by Tor Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Print, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Print

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. LovecraftTales of the Cthulhu Mythos by H.P. LovecraftThe Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories by H.P. LovecraftNecronomicon by H.P. LovecraftThe Case of Charles Dexter Ward by H.P. Lovecraft
Best of the Cthulhu Mythos
17th out of 130 books — 69 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
299th out of 767 books — 1,072 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
time again for LOVE ♥ CRAFT ♥ CONNECTION!

this connection-collection includes hunky bachelor AZATHOTH and hot-to-trot bachelorette SHUB-NIGGURATH, as featured respectively within the stories "The Insects of Shaggai" and "The Horror from the Bridge".

Azathoth
Photobucket

Nickname: the mad nuclear chaos at the center of the universe
Likes: staring at the stars, dreaming, music - especially the pan-flute
Dislikes: judgmental and close-minded people :(
Favorite Craft: as Mr. Azathoth is roughly the size of a star,
Brian Sammons
No one does the Cthulhu Mythos like Campbell. He's my second favorite author of cold, cosmic horror right after H.P. Lovecraft. Yeah, he's that good.
Henrik
Andy
I read this book back in Oct/Nov of 2012 and as someone who loves Lovecraftian tales, this was a real treat. Of the 21 stories here, I only disliked two, and quite a few were downright amazing. There's many Lovecraftian story collections, August Derleth wrote one, but his stories all follow the same formula: a man uncovers evidence of occult activity in an isolated house, perhaps his ancestors' house, then bad stuff happens. But we find a lot of variety in this collection, especially toward the ...more
Kevin Lucia
What's interesting about this collection is that you can see the progression - not necessarily chronologically - from straight Lovecraftian pastiches, to more original Lovecraftian pastiches, to very original pieces of cosmic horror propelled the fear of the unknown and alien, without relying on any forbidden texts or strange sounding gods or ancient cults. Regardless, every story in this collection works on the mind in terrible, fierce ways...
David Peak
After reading Houellebecq's Against the World, Against Life and Graham Harman's Weird Realism, and subsequently gaining an appreciation for what Lovecraft was doing with his prose, it's difficult to read Campbell's stories here as being anything other than shallow stylistic imitations. All of the monsters and dread and primordial jelly are present, but none of the nuance.

That being said, there are a handful of excellent horror stories to be found in this collection, particularly "The Inhabitant
Peter Davis-Parker
This is an awesome book for any fans of horror anthologies and also for fans of Lovecraft fiction.
I picked it up from a charity shop for next to nothing but believe me when I say without hyperbole, you can buy brand new & full price & you'd be getting a bargain.
Can't recommend highly enough
G.R. Yeates
This collection of Ramsey Campbell's Lovecraftian fiction is interesting for a couple of reasons. One, it shows us where the master began, weaving tales of the Cthulhu Mythos in the fictive towns of Brichester and Goatswood. The reason I have not given the collection more stars is because, for this reason, it's maybe not so satisfying as a whole as his later work. Some of the stories are fantastic, such as The Inhabitant of the Lake, Cold Print and The Church in High Street, whilst others follow ...more
7ulian
Though I did enjoy the book, I can't give it many stars. Cold Print is a collection of short horror stories. Nothing wrong with that, though once you've read a couple of them, you'll start to think "haven't I read this before?".

The book gets quite repetitive, mainly every story goes: someone reads the Necromonicon, finds a macabre place which almost has a neon sign reading "place of death, don't go in, you idiot", goes in anyway, and either dies or survives with mental trauma.

The book isn't bad,
Allan
"Ramsey Campbell writes scarier horror stories than any other living author." - THE WASHINGTON POST. So goes the cover blurb on my battered paperback copy I purchased in a thrift shop not too long ago. It's true.
Marvin
A collection of Ramsey Campbell's Lovecraftian tales. This is the Campbell I like. He takes the Cthulhu Mythos and gives them his own introverted British touch. You can almost choke on the atmosphere. Some say Cmmpbell is often too vague or esoteric for his own good and they would be right. However there is something quite impressive about his early Lovecraft influenced fiction.
Ronald Wilcox
Very good collection of short stories written by Campbell, most of which are tied into the Lovecraftian universe. Stories are nicely eerie but begin to feel repetitive after several are read. Would appeal very much to admirers of Lovecraft's works but if not already familiar with his work, readers may not be able to understand these stories as well.
Barry
Some of the stories got a little too vague for my tastes, but the overall atmosphere and senses of dread and wonder are masterfully rendered. A definitive collection of mythos-esque stories by a single author.
James
Campbell's most Lovecraftian collection, this was the first book of his I ever read, and still one of my favorites of his.
Ian Towey
Not my fave Ramsey Campbell but I was in a strange mood at the time. Should read again.
Bindi O
Bindi O marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Cody Murtaugh
Cody Murtaugh marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jostuph Gagliardi
Jostuph Gagliardi marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Craig Dixon
Craig Dixon marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Jutsei
Jutsei marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Aeryk
Aeryk marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Horror in the Museum & Other Revisions
  • Dark Gods
  • The Hastur Cycle
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
  • The New Lovecraft Circle
  • The Mask of Cthulhu
  • The Taint and Other Novellas (Cthulhu Collection)
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • Yellow Sign & Other Stories
  • The Three Impostors and Other Stories
  • Occultation and Other Stories
  • Historical Lovecraft
  • A Rendezvous in Averoigne
  • New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird
John Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...
The Hungry Moon Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991 Ancient Images The Doll Who Ate His Mother The Darkest Part of the Woods