Start by marking “Cold Print” as Want to Read:
Cold Print

Cold Print

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  786 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A collection of Ramsey campbell's horror stories, including The Church in the High Street, The Room in the Castle, The Horrors from the Bridge, The Insects from Shaggai, The Render of the Veils, The Inhabitant of the Lake, The Will of Stanley Brooke, The Moon-Lens, Before the Storm, Cold Print, Among These Pictures Are, The Tugging, The Faces at Pine Dunes, Blacked Out, an ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 15th 1987 by Tor Books (first published 1985)

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. LovecraftTales of the Cthulhu Mythos by H.P. LovecraftThe Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories by H.P. LovecraftThe Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories by H.P. LovecraftNecronomicon by H.P. Lovecraft
Best of the Cthulhu Mythos
20th out of 145 books — 92 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker
The Definitive Horror Book List
265th out of 1,021 books — 1,406 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
time again for LOVE CRAFT CONNECTION!

this connection-collection includes hunky bachelor AZATHOTH and hot-to-trot bachelorette SHUB-NIGGURATH, as featured respectively within the stories "The Insects of Shaggai" and "The Horror from the Bridge".

Azathoth
Photobucket

Nickname: the mad nuclear chaos at the center of the universe
Likes: staring at the stars, dreaming, music - especially the pan-flute
Dislikes: judgmental and close-minded people :(
Favorite Craft: as Mr. Azathoth is roughly the size of a star,
Perry Lake
Dec 12, 2015 Perry Lake rated it really liked it
“Cold Print” is a collection of short stories by British horror master, Ramsey Campbell, all on Lovecraftian themes. About half of them are his early stories from the 60s, one is from 1976, and the rest come from the 80s.

As I had already read the two best stories in this volume, the collection seemed like Campbell's second best work. But that's hardly fair. All the stories are good; “The Tugging” and “Cold Print” are exceptionally good and the most original.

Lovecraft's stories might come across
Kevin Lucia
Aug 22, 2014 Kevin Lucia rated it it was amazing
What's interesting about this collection is that you can see the progression - not necessarily chronologically - from straight Lovecraftian pastiches, to more original Lovecraftian pastiches, to very original pieces of cosmic horror propelled the fear of the unknown and alien, without relying on any forbidden texts or strange sounding gods or ancient cults. Regardless, every story in this collection works on the mind in terrible, fierce ways...
Henrik
Andy
Jun 19, 2013 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book back in Oct/Nov of 2012 and as someone who loves Lovecraftian tales, this was a real treat. Of the 21 stories here, I only disliked two, and quite a few were downright amazing. There's many Lovecraftian story collections, August Derleth wrote one, but his stories all follow the same formula: a man uncovers evidence of occult activity in an isolated house, perhaps his ancestors' house, then bad stuff happens. But we find a lot of variety in this collection, especially toward the ...more
Marvin
Jun 02, 2012 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autographed, horror
A collection of Ramsey Campbell's Lovecraftian tales. This is the Campbell I like. He takes the Cthulhu Mythos and gives them his own introverted British touch. You can almost choke on the atmosphere. Some say Cmmpbell is often too vague or esoteric for his own good and they would be right. However there is something quite impressive about his early Lovecraft influenced fiction.
Brian Sammons
May 25, 2012 Brian Sammons rated it it was amazing
No one does the Cthulhu Mythos like Campbell. He's my second favorite author of cold, cosmic horror right after H.P. Lovecraft. Yeah, he's that good.
K.T. Katzmann
Nov 10, 2015 K.T. Katzmann rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: British Horror Fans, Cthulhu Fanatics, Nervous Joggers in London
Wonderfully British mythos fiction with a caveat.

Ramsey Campbell's creations haved wormed their way into the Cthulhu canon. Who can forget the awesome cosmic wonder of Fat Naked Headless Man with Mouth Hands?
 photo d7253e5ceb2604aad289cd3c1c55b235_zpsqucnks6h.jpg
I kid. He's much more alien in the story. But still, there are nifty monsters here, and Campbell writes with a definite style.

There's one problem, and that is the question of which style you're getting.

A lot of these stories come from Campbell's early career, before he himself admits he fou
Matthew Austin
Jan 06, 2016 Matthew Austin rated it it was ok
Shelves: unread-cthluhu
Incredibly disappointing. As far as lovecraftian horror goes this may be the worst of it I've read so far.

The only stories that I could say were good at all were The Render of the Veils, The Faces at Pine Dunes, and perhaps the Tugging, although the ending of The Tugging was wholly unsatisfying. The others were not written well enough to be cohesive or often to even keep my interest, and when they did show horrors that were even vaguely lovecraftian they revealed far too much about the origins
G.R. Yeates
Mar 26, 2011 G.R. Yeates rated it liked it
This collection of Ramsey Campbell's Lovecraftian fiction is interesting for a couple of reasons. One, it shows us where the master began, weaving tales of the Cthulhu Mythos in the fictive towns of Brichester and Goatswood. The reason I have not given the collection more stars is because, for this reason, it's maybe not so satisfying as a whole as his later work. Some of the stories are fantastic, such as The Inhabitant of the Lake, Cold Print and The Church in High Street, whilst others follow ...more
7ulian
Jun 21, 2010 7ulian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Though I did enjoy the book, I can't give it many stars. Cold Print is a collection of short horror stories. Nothing wrong with that, though once you've read a couple of them, you'll start to think "haven't I read this before?".

The book gets quite repetitive, mainly every story goes: someone reads the Necromonicon, finds a macabre place which almost has a neon sign reading "place of death, don't go in, you idiot", goes in anyway, and either dies or survives with mental trauma.

The book isn't bad,
David Peak
After reading Houellebecq's Against the World, Against Life and Graham Harman's Weird Realism, and subsequently gaining an appreciation for what Lovecraft was doing with his prose, it's difficult to read Campbell's stories here as being anything other than shallow stylistic imitations. All of the monsters and dread and primordial jelly are present, but none of the nuance.

That being said, there are a handful of excellent horror stories to be found in this collection, particularly "The Inhabitant
Peter Davis-Parker
Mar 10, 2014 Peter Davis-Parker rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book for any fans of horror anthologies and also for fans of Lovecraft fiction.
I picked it up from a charity shop for next to nothing but believe me when I say without hyperbole, you can buy brand new & full price & you'd be getting a bargain.
Can't recommend highly enough
Steven Schreier
Feb 06, 2016 Steven Schreier rated it it was amazing
The heir apparent to Lovecraft....mind numbingly terrifying stuff.
Marie Robinson
Jan 13, 2015 Marie Robinson rated it it was ok
Wanted to like it a lot more as I love a lot of Campbell's work.
Ken Ringwald
Nov 17, 2015 Ken Ringwald rated it it was amazing
This book collects a lot of the H.P. Lovecraft inspired fiction by Ramsey Campbell. It's extremely interesting to see the original stories for several of Campbell's creations and the myths of the Severn valley.

It's also fascinating to watch Campbell grow more polished as a writer over the course of the book; the final few stories are excellent cosmic horror that stand on their own.

I'd recommend it if you have any interest in cosmic horror stories, especially ones set in England.
Allan
Nov 18, 2014 Allan rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
"Ramsey Campbell writes scarier horror stories than any other living author." - THE WASHINGTON POST. So goes the cover blurb on my battered paperback copy I purchased in a thrift shop not too long ago. It's true.
Ronald Wilcox
Very good collection of short stories written by Campbell, most of which are tied into the Lovecraftian universe. Stories are nicely eerie but begin to feel repetitive after several are read. Would appeal very much to admirers of Lovecraft's works but if not already familiar with his work, readers may not be able to understand these stories as well.
Barry
Nov 13, 2011 Barry rated it really liked it
Some of the stories got a little too vague for my tastes, but the overall atmosphere and senses of dread and wonder are masterfully rendered. A definitive collection of mythos-esque stories by a single author.
James
Apr 16, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Campbell's most Lovecraftian collection, this was the first book of his I ever read, and still one of my favorites of his.
Ian Towey
Dec 17, 2013 Ian Towey rated it liked it
Not my fave Ramsey Campbell but I was in a strange mood at the time. Should read again.
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Dusti Hargis
Dusti Hargis marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Topher Pirkl
Topher Pirkl marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Marty
Marty rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Christine G
Christine G rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Brandon Longstreth
Brandon Longstreth marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Caleb E Kemper
Caleb E Kemper marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Russ Patterson
Russ Patterson marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • The Nyarlathotep Cycle: The God of a Thousand Forms
  • Dark Gods
  • The Horror in the Museum & Other Revisions
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror
  • The Taint and Other Novellas (Cthulhu Collection)
  • The Mask of Cthulhu
  • The Book of Iod: Ten Tales of the Mythos
  • Tales from the Nightside
  • The Complete Pegāna: All the Tales Pertaining to the Fabulous Realm of Pegāna
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
John Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...