Start by marking “The Owner's Manual for Driving Your Adolescent Brain” as Want to Read:
The Owner's Manual for Driving Your Adolescent Brain

The Owner's Manual for Driving Your Adolescent Brain

Published November 25th 2013 by Little Pickle Stories (first published January 1st 2013)

Be the first to ask a question about The Owner's Manual for Driving Your Adolescent Brain

Tom
Adolescence is never easy. We know to expect many of the changes we encounter: girls growing breasts and curves, boys voices deepening, and everyone growing hair all over parts they used to be scared to wash. These are the “normal” changes. We throw them at our pre-adolescents, and hope that’s enough. “If you have any questions, you can always feel free to ask me,” parents say.

Statements like that are why teens are so adept at eye-rolling. “Yeah, you hold your breath on that, mom, when I have a
Terry Stanford
Feb 03, 2014 Terry Stanford rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adolescents, parents, and teachers
As a mother of four children and grandmother of 3 children, I so wish Dr. Deak's books would have been available years ago. This is the sequel to Your Fantastic Elastic Brain, and every bit as informative and inspiring for adolescent minds, ages 10-20, as her former book was for ages 1-10. If you have an adolescent you love who will soon enter adolescence or has already arrived into this challenging, ever evolving age, this book is a must! The data and illustrations are fun while using ...more
-RadioActiveBookWorm-
Mar 25, 2014 -RadioActiveBookWorm- rated it really liked it
Goodreads Synopsis: Think you know everything about your brain? Think again! In this exciting follow-up to Your Fantastic Elastic Brain, you’ll get the goods on glia and the news about neurons, presented in a fun and engaging format. Hang on to your hemispheres, and prepare to have your mind boggled as you learn about the workings of the brain in its first decade.

My Review: I noticed that this book doesn't have very many reviews, and I'm kind of wondering why. Though it's a good book for learnin
Jenni Frencham
This book is written to adolescents with information about how their brain works as well as tips for keeping it healthy and surviving adolescence.

The ebook version of this particular book was difficult to navigate, probably because there are lots of illustrations and charts throughout the book, but the writing style was spot-on, and the information is current and would appeal to tweens and teens. If I can find a print version of this book, I might purchase it for my middle school library.

Recom
NYC Reads 365
"This books starts with the parts of the nervous system and how they work, like any book on the brain, but this one shows teens how they can stimulate brain growth (neurogenesis). It also explains why babies might make jerky movements, but teens can play the guitar and hit home runs. It shows you how your brain feels not just physical pain but pain from emotions like social rejection. Read this and take a fascinating look into all the changes going on not just in the body, but also in the ...more
Jessica
May 13, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
*I received a free digital copy of this book from Edelweiss.

This was a short introduction book to the adolescent brain. There are quite a few "big" words and the authors try to use analogies to explain certain functions.

favorite lines:

"the critical period for learning a language is from birth through about age eight."

"practice makes permanent -- not perfect"
Dana
Dec 13, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it
My daughter is in 7th grade and they are currently studying the human body systems. This book is perfect for this age group! The drawings are cute and the information is written in an interesting way and is just right for the middle school/adolescent age group. I think this book should be in all middle school libraries.
Rita Arens
Jan 16, 2014 Rita Arens rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book -- plenty of good science, but also interesting. It's a great reminder for parents that kids' brains aren't fully cooked until they're almost thirty. It was almost as much of a benefit for me as it was for my nine-year-old, who also really enjoyed it. Good addition to any family's bookshelf.
Karen Li
Dec 26, 2013 Karen Li rated it it was amazing
Funky. Fun. Facinating. I loved it.
It's got a great balance of neuroscience and modern language appealing to the younger audience.

Read more here: http://couragepsyc.blogspot.com.au/20...
Stacy Natal
Nov 09, 2014 Stacy Natal rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacy by: Susan O'Connell
Read excerpts of this book to my own kids to talk more with them about growth mindset and how their brains change at this age, best used for middle school on up.
Jill Vizza
Jill Vizza rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Lisa
Jul 28, 2016 Lisa added it
Not just for adolescents. Good for us non-science types who want to understand the brain.
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Kim Erwin
Kim Erwin rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2015
Melleny
Melleny rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Rana DiOrio
Rana DiOrio rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Cathie
Cathie rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Lucia
Lucia rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Ola Russell
Ola Russell rated it did not like it
May 07, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Cathleen Bonville
Cathleen Bonville rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Matt Streitz
Matt Streitz rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Matthew J.
Matthew J. rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Lisa Hanson
Lisa Hanson rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014