Start by marking “Mooch” as Want to Read:
Mooch

Mooch (Bruno Dante #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  433 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Bruno Dante has cleaned him himself up and straightened out; he's attending A.A. and is back on the mooch, selling computer printer supplies for a militaristic disciplinarian in a company staffed by a motley crew of ex-addicts and alcoholics. Then he meets Mexican femme fatale, Jimmi Valiente, a former gang-banger, lap dancer, and crackhead, and once again Dante's world be ...more
Published June 27th 2001 by Canongate U.S. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mooch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mooch

You Really Are Full of Shit, Aren't You? by Karl WigginsNobody Asked Me, But .... by Karl WigginsSelf-Publishing In the Eye of the Storm by Karl WigginsAsk the Dust by John FanteGRIT The Banter and Brutality of the Late-Night Cab by Karl Wiggins
Books to read on the Shitter
32nd out of 43 books — 9 voters
2003 - Thanks for the Vodka by HarpieGRIT The Banter and Brutality of the Late-Night Cab by Karl WigginsGoodnight, and Thanks for the Vodka by Harpie2004 - Thanks for the Vodka by HarpieAsk the Dust by John Fante
Grit-Lit - Writing that Bleeds
70th out of 89 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Steven Eggleton
Apr 15, 2013 Steven Eggleton rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I like Dan Fante. I think he is a good writer. He’s help fill the enormous void Bukowski left behind. But the guy is a little full of himself. He comes off kind of like a tool in interviews. I’ve even heard him say he is a better writer than Bukowski, which is a pretty ballsy move for someone who is basically stealing Bukowski’s shtick.
Moreover, if he wasn’t the son of John Fante, I don’t think he would be as big as he is. The truth is, Mooch (although entertaining) is a r
Damion
Apr 19, 2012 Damion rated it it was amazing
MY Favorite Dan Fante book. In a world filled with boring books and boring authors. Dan Fante is a welcome relief. Takes you inside the world of telemarketing and alcoholism. The book is really about hustling and what people do each other. A very American story. The most important thing is Fante is never boring. All the warts of human soul are illuminated in his writing. Can't recommend this book any higher. Read all his books.
Vinicius
Feb 23, 2016 Vinicius rated it it was amazing
Mais de Bukowski e mais de Fante pai.

Esta obra pode ser comparada diretamente com Pergunte ao Pó, ainda que Bruno Dante seja repugnante. A submissão que o personagem principal remete a Jimmi chegou a me lembrar 'Philip Carey' de 'A Servidão Humana'. Tudo isso envolto em um clima de alcoolismo, drogas, sexo e a tentativa incansável de Bruno Dante em manter-se sóbrio.

Recomendado para quem é devoto das obras de Bukowski e Fante. Pessoas que não estão familiarizadas com o submundo do álcool, drogas
Arely
Aug 11, 2015 Arely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Fante, hijo de uno de mis autores favoritos, John Fante, signo que tal vez lo identifica pero que puede llegar a ser un estigma al no evitar compararlo con el padre. Sin embargo, no desilusiona mis expectativas y, dejando a un lado las comparaciones, me encantó este libro.

Una novela llena de alcohol, ilusiones, desilusiones, amor, desamor y sexo. Tal vez de esta forma no sea la mejor para realizar una reseña del libro, pero en pocas palabras es un gran libro, esta vez podemos encontrar un D
Josh
Apr 12, 2015 Josh rated it liked it
Well written, but not my thing. A frustrating read.
Stop
Jun 19, 2009 Stop added it
ead the STOP SMILING interview with author Dan Fante

Q&A: Dan Fante
By Anthony Reynolds

Novelist, playwright and poet Dan Fante is the second son of John Fante.
He is well regarded in Europe and his novels include Mooch, Chump Change and Spitting off Tall Buildings

Stop Smiling: As both a novelist and a screenwriter, what are the main similarities between the processes? And what are the major differences?

Dan Fante: I don't mean to be overly unkind here, but screenwriting is a process quite unlike
Andrea Mullarkey
Aug 02, 2012 Andrea Mullarkey rated it really liked it
At the end of Chump Change I wondered if Fante would be able to keep up the pace for 3 more semi-autobiographical novels. I also wondered whether I could keep up if in fact he did. Now having read them in close succession I can say that he’s kept it interesting without wearing me out. Bruno Dante continues to be a serial juicer with a masochistic edge and a deep dislike of people. With women, his relationships (if they can be called that) are cruel and dehumanizing, almost as bad as the jobs he ...more
Aramys
Nov 27, 2015 Aramys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mooch es una novela increíble sobre la naturaleza del hombre y sobre sus grandes debilidades, es una novela de amor dañino y alcohol, de superación y de momentos vergonzosos. Bruno Dante es deudor directo o indirecto de Chinasky, pero tiene carácter propio, personalidad, fuerza, Dan Fante es un gran escritor, sin complejos, sin filtros, sin anestesia.

Josie Boyce
May 31, 2014 Josie Boyce rated it really liked it
More solid Buk-ness from Dan Fante. Enjoyable rolling around in the ashes stuff. Bang on characterizations, and jaw droppingly good dialogue. Entertaining angry man books. Relishing the final two, to be read in the next few days.
Manheim Wagner
Apr 07, 2015 Manheim Wagner rated it really liked it
By far Dan Fante's best book, Mooch contains Bukowski-like content with a writing style similar to his father. A quick and easy book to read.
Oliver
Apr 18, 2014 Oliver rated it it was amazing
A winner!
Fernando
Jan 17, 2016 Fernando rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-calibre
Good short story about addiction and human relationships
Andy Carrington
May 06, 2016 Andy Carrington rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life
Real-life. In fiction.
Ara Molina
Apr 26, 2012 Ara Molina rated it liked it
Probablemente lo hubiera disfrutado más de no haber leído justo antes Chump Change, porque de esta forma me pareció más de lo mismo, ya que las dos historias guardan unas cuantas similitudes. Lo recomiendo, pero si se tiene la intención de leer Chump Change, mejor dejar algo de margen entre ambos.
Erik
Sep 01, 2007 Erik rated it really liked it
In my humble opinion this is Dan's best. It takes you straight into the harrowing world of telemarketing and doesn't let you go. A lean, spare master at the top of his form, not a wasted word in here.
Caro_Cédric
Sep 21, 2011 Caro_Cédric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman
Un digne héritier de son père, dans la tradition de Buckowski. L'univers du télémarketing est particulièrement bien rendu, donnant corps à cette histoire parfois drôle, au rythme soutenu.
Nay
Mar 16, 2012 Nay rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Couldn't finish this one...Was getting a little bored. Perhaps it gets better the more you get into it but I just couldn't get there
Ryan
Apr 09, 2012 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Similar to his dad's Ask the Dust, but still great on its own. I'll be reading more of Dan (and John) Fante.
James Curtin
Dec 26, 2011 James Curtin rated it it was amazing
i liked this even better than 'chump change'. need to reread this sometime soon.
andy
Dec 05, 2010 andy rated it liked it
decent. more of the same. quick read. full of despair and other feelings.
Laureen Vonnegut
Oct 02, 2011 Laureen Vonnegut rated it it was amazing
down and dirty. loved it. will read more.
Rob
Mar 26, 2013 Rob rated it really liked it
CHINASKI!!
Lit
Jan 21, 2009 Lit rated it it was amazing
great!
Michael Northshore
Michael Northshore rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Karri
Karri rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
BettyAnn
BettyAnn marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Rob Laubscher
Rob Laubscher rated it did not like it
Jul 09, 2016
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 07, 2016
  • Try Fear
  • Dark Dreamer (Dark Vista, #1)
  • Without Prejudice
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Written in Time
  • The Devil's Touch (The Devil, #3)
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Conflict of Empires (Eskkar Saga, #3)
  • The Hijack (Stratton, #2)
  • Pinocchio in Venice
  • My Best Friends Have Hairy Legs
  • Round Rock
  • Flirting with Temptation
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • The Spy Game
  • Terminal (Tweed & Co. #2)
  • In the Shadow of the Cypress