Start by marking “Mooch” as Want to Read:
Mooch

Mooch (Bruno Dante #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Bruno Dante has cleaned him himself up and straightened out; he's attending A.A. and is back on the mooch, selling computer printer supplies for a militaristic disciplinarian in a company staffed by a motley crew of ex-addicts and alcoholics. Then he meets Mexican femme fatale, Jimmi Valiente, a former gang-banger, lap dancer, and crackhead, and once again Dante's world be ...more
Published June 27th 2001 by Canongate U.S. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mooch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mooch

Steven Eggleton
Let me start by saying I like Dan Fante. I think he is a good writer. He’s help fill the enormous void Bukowski left behind. But the guy is a little full of himself. He comes off kind of like a tool in interviews. I’ve even heard him say he is a better writer than Bukowski, which is a pretty ballsy move for someone who is basically stealing Bukowski’s shtick.
Moreover, if he wasn’t the son of John Fante, I don’t think he would be as big as he is. The truth is, Mooch (although entertaining) is a r
Damion
MY Favorite Dan Fante book. In a world filled with boring books and boring authors. Dan Fante is a welcome relief. Takes you inside the world of telemarketing and alcoholism. The book is really about hustling and what people do each other. A very American story. The most important thing is Fante is never boring. All the warts of human soul are illuminated in his writing. Can't recommend this book any higher. Read all his books.
Stop
Jun 19, 2009 Stop added it
ead the STOP SMILING interview with author Dan Fante

Q&A: Dan Fante
By Anthony Reynolds

Novelist, playwright and poet Dan Fante is the second son of John Fante.
He is well regarded in Europe and his novels include Mooch, Chump Change and Spitting off Tall Buildings

Stop Smiling: As both a novelist and a screenwriter, what are the main similarities between the processes? And what are the major differences?

Dan Fante: I don't mean to be overly unkind here, but screenwriting is a process quite unlike
Andrea Mullarkey
At the end of Chump Change I wondered if Fante would be able to keep up the pace for 3 more semi-autobiographical novels. I also wondered whether I could keep up if in fact he did. Now having read them in close succession I can say that he’s kept it interesting without wearing me out. Bruno Dante continues to be a serial juicer with a masochistic edge and a deep dislike of people. With women, his relationships (if they can be called that) are cruel and dehumanizing, almost as bad as the jobs he ...more
Josie Boyce
More solid Buk-ness from Dan Fante. Enjoyable rolling around in the ashes stuff. Bang on characterizations, and jaw droppingly good dialogue. Entertaining angry man books. Relishing the final two, to be read in the next few days.
Ara Molina
Probablemente lo hubiera disfrutado más de no haber leído justo antes Chump Change, porque de esta forma me pareció más de lo mismo, ya que las dos historias guardan unas cuantas similitudes. Lo recomiendo, pero si se tiene la intención de leer Chump Change, mejor dejar algo de margen entre ambos.
Erik
In my humble opinion this is Dan's best. It takes you straight into the harrowing world of telemarketing and doesn't let you go. A lean, spare master at the top of his form, not a wasted word in here.
Caro_Cédric
Un digne héritier de son père, dans la tradition de Buckowski. L'univers du télémarketing est particulièrement bien rendu, donnant corps à cette histoire parfois drôle, au rythme soutenu.
Nay
Couldn't finish this one...Was getting a little bored. Perhaps it gets better the more you get into it but I just couldn't get there
Ryan
Similar to his dad's Ask the Dust, but still great on its own. I'll be reading more of Dan (and John) Fante.
James Curtin
i liked this even better than 'chump change'. need to reread this sometime soon.
andy
decent. more of the same. quick read. full of despair and other feelings.
Aramys
Mas Fante que nunca, mas Bukowsky que nunca...
Laureen Vonnegut
down and dirty. loved it. will read more.
Rob
CHINASKI!!
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
emerita
emerita marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Chris Watson
Chris Watson marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • Try Fear
  • Written in Time
  • Dark Dreamer (Dark Vista, #1)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • The Devil's Touch (The Devil, #3)
  • The Cheating Curve
  • The Hijack (Stratton, #2)
  • Round Rock
  • Conflict of Empires
  • A Night at the Movies, Or, You Must Remember This: Fictions
  • The Spy Game: A Novel
  • A Singular Man
  • Harriet
  • Flirting with Temptation
  • Terminal (Tweed & Co. #2)
  • My Best Friends Have Hairy Legs
  • The Alcoholics
  • In the Shadow of the Cypress
Chump Change 86'd Spitting Off Tall Buildings Fante Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets