Start by marking “The Donut Chef” as Want to Read:
The Donut Chef

The Donut Chef

In this tasty tale, a baker hangs out his sign on a small street, and soon the line for his donuts stretches down the block. But it's not long before the competition arrives and a delectable battle of the bakers ensues.
Published September 24th 2013 by Dragonfly Books (first published September 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Donut Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Donut Chef

Jeana Wert
This was a cute book that could be a lesson to young children. I loved that the pictures were so colorful and the illustrations were so different. The way that the illustrator made the people in the book is so different. It looks like the illustrator used a ton of different shapes to create the pictures. I like that Debbie Sue came into the doughnut shop just wanting a plain glazed one. Throughout all the competition with the other doughnut shop, i'm sure this request came as a surprise. This wa ...more
Jun 11, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, 2012
When two chefs open donut shops on the same block, a donut war begins. The donuts become fancier and more outrageous until finally a little girl asks for her favorite donut - glazed. It turns out that despite all the fancy and tasty options, glazed donuts are really the favorite.

I love Staake's modern and clean style. And unlike some rhyming texts, this one flows well and fits the feel and message of the story. Perfect for a Kindergarten read aloud.
Katie
Nov 29, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun! Great illustrations and a rhyme that doesn't feel like a stretch.

Mmmmm...donuts...
Nicole G.
A fun book about a doughnut war.

Two chefs - one distinctly rotund and the other sharp as an exclamation point - open doughnut shops next to each other on a busy city street. The doughnuts steadily become more complicated, in shape as well as flavor, a sly wink to today's culture where every baked good has to be "gourmet." In fun rhyming couplets, the competition builds, until one day a little girl comes in and wants the one doughnut that the chefs do not have - glazed. All Debbie Sue wants is a
Adalyn McCarty
Feb 22, 2017 Adalyn McCarty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
The Donut Chef, is a book that revolves around competition and rhyming which I found very amusing. It has a very simple rhyming concept, which had every other sentence rhyming together. I love the illustrations and that the original chef came back to his senses and started to care for his costumers rather than himself.
Jay Bushara
Feb 13, 2013 Jay Bushara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Staake's The Red Lemon, this book already has the look of a classic, even though it was only published two years ago - and remains mysteriously under-stocked in major bookstores. Something is definitely broken if two books like this are not ubiquitously featured, because they do everything right for so many age groups, in so many ways. The rhyming here is never awkward, always joyous and incidental, but it's the visual elaborations - of elbowing storefronts and highfalutin donuts - which ar ...more
Angela
Best for kids ages 3 and up
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness, Narrative Skills

From cover:
Once upon a summer's day a donut chef was heard to say:
"One this street where people stop, I'll open up my donut shop!"

In this delicious tale, a baker hangs out his shingle on a small street, and soon, the line for his doughnuts stretches down the block. But it’s not long before the competition arrives and a battle of the bakers ensues. In the competitive frenzy, bo
Karen
Aug 09, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Normally, when I encounter longer picture books, I skim them; that is, just read what I need to in order to make the story work. With Donut Chef, I had to read every line. Every rhyming line was needed to tell the story properly. Every rhyming line is needed.

I first bought a Bob Staake children's book for the artwork. I love the artwork. I didn't really expect to like the text. I was pleasantly surprised, delighted, and mildly annoyed when I did like the writing in the first book. I'm no longer
Kathryn
As you might guess from the cover illustration, this is quite and odd, funny little story. I was really amused by the clever illustrations and loved seeing all the funny types of donuts that were created. In addition to being a story about donuts, though, this is also a story about business--about competition and expanding beyond your means and ultimately about creating what the customer wants if you're going to be successful. (I noticed that the new baker who comes in to be in competition with ...more
Kate Hastings
Oct 04, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschool Grades K-2 donuts food competition entrepreneurs
Shelves: money-economics
Cute story about a successful businessman who sells donuts to his happy customers. Then a big chain moves in next door, and soon they are competing with each other- to the point where they are out of touch with their customers. Finally, a little girl point out that all they want is glazed, simply glazed.

--grades K-4
-- a chef opens a donut shop on a busy corner and it is a huge success
--another chef saw his success and opened a rival donut shop
--both start competing sales techniques and coming up
Angie
Aug 20, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a digital ARC from Random House. And as far as digital ARCs go, the formatting was fantastic.
A sugary sweet donut story! A perfect read aloud for groups of preschoolers; I can't wait to use it at story time. Written in rhyme without any skips or problem words to trip me up. You don't even need to skim any boring parts because it's all important to the story. The Donut Chef builds this donut empire only to get stuck with a competitor. The rival gets intense with each chef
Mark
Once upon a summer's day
A donut chef was heard to say:
"On this street where people stop
I'll open up my donut shop!"

In this delicious tale, a baker hangs out his shingle on a small street, and soon the line for his donuts stretches down the block. But it's not long before the competition arrives and a battle of the bakers ensues. In the competitive frenzy, both bakers' donuts become "quite bizarre, like Cherry-Frosted Lemon Bar, and Peanut-Brickle Buttermilk, and Gooey Cocoa-Mocha Silk!"

But two-y
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Julie M. Prince for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

Follow the story of the donut chef, as he selects the perfect corner to create his store and builds up his clientele -- until that dastardly competition moves in next door and chaos ensues.

I usually avoid picture books in rhyme, as it's rare to find one that's done well. I can honestly say that this one works.

The text is strong and fun and the story itself engaging. The illustrations, with their geometric shapes, monochromatic colors, and
Janell
Mar 25, 2009 Janell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Colorful geometric art with a retro feel illustrates this cautionary tale of two bakers vying to have the most successful donut shop. As the feud escalates, their donuts get stranger and stranger with flavors like Peanut-Brickle Buttermilk and shapes like stars and macaroni. Soon the donuts had “lost their taste. They’d lost their soul. They’d even lost their donut hole!” All is saved when little Debbie Sue asks for an old fashioned glazed donut reminding them that simple is best. It would be fu ...more
Skylar Burris
Jan 05, 2010 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I picked this book up because it’s about donuts, and my son is obsessed with that book, Arnie and the Donut (but especially with the Scholastic Video version of it), so I thought we’d branch out with another donut story. I think I enjoyed it more than he did. Written in rhyme, The Donut Chef tells the story of a chef who gets carried away trying to beat the competition and becomes so avant garde in his donut creations that he forgets that most people really love the simple pleasures in life…like ...more
Virginia
Dec 14, 2016 Virginia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of our favorites!
Karin
I love the end-papers in the book. The whole thing is so colorful. Staake's illustrations are so interesting and I love all the various people. This is a great story on many levels, but the message that sometimes less is more definitely seems to be the main focus. This one is also good for looking at competition. Even high school could use this in classes that talk about marketing and business. Great book to add to the collection for any level.
Jen
Jun 29, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 3 & 4 year old boys just loved this book and have asked me to read it over and over! Very cute illustrations and great rhyme about a donut chef who starts a shop only to have a little competition move in. When they try outdoing each other with extra frosting, free donuts and crazy creations, the donut chef finds out that sometimes, simple and easy is the way to go to please everyone. Loved the name of the donut shop, Amazing Glazed! :)
The Library Lady
I don't like donuts but I'm trying to be fair anyway :}

Bob Staake's round as a donut Chef looks like he's been living on a diet of his donuts--complete with LARD--FEH!!!

Seriously, this is fun, it rhymes well and I'm sure lots of teachers and librarians will be happy to use this as an excuse to serve donuts at story time. Pair it with "The Great Donut Race"
Susan
May 10, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly and fun picture book that works well as a read aloud. Bob Staake's pictures here remind me of his recent book, Mary Had a Little Lamp. My four year old son thought the book was hysterical, but he didn't know what a glazed donut was (which is crucial to the plot of the book).
Tricia
the quality of the donut is lost as two chefs top each other with such concoctions as "calamari-y" and "macaroni-y" donuts. when a child can't find the one she is looking for, a simple glazed donut, the message is loud and clear.
Erin
The geometric, bright illustrations are not my favorite style, but are certainly eye-catching and bold. The story is cute and demonstrates how easy it is to lose sight of the really important things (like plain glazed donuts) when we try to compete against someone else.
Cheryl
Apr 19, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: K-3
A rhyming tribute to the tried and true. Cherry-frosted Lemon Bar, Peanut-brickle Buttermilk, Gooey Cocoa-Mocha Silk are some of the concoctions offered at Donut Land. But plain-old glazed is still the favorite of most folks. Hip, roly-poly illustrations.
Molly
Jan 14, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, funny
Donut.... Mmmmmmmm..... This is a book that made me hungry when it started and when it ended. The pictures were so bright and scrumpious looking. A good book to share with a child trying to always be better at everything. Ages 3+
Amy Brown
A donut chef makes the best donuts but when a rival moves into town both chefs start creating more and more outrageous kinds of donuts, each one trying to create something better than the other's. Fun rhyming story for a fun food storytime.
Kaethe
Donuts, donuts, donuts, and a little girl who is just barely two.

Some of the rhymes and lines are a bit awkward, but a fun book.
Danielle
Jan 20, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An adorable rhyming book about a donut chef who learns that you don't have to be so over the top to make people happy. An exciting book that a wide range of kids would appreciate and enjoy. pre-3
Karen
Feb 26, 2009 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Children's Choice Award Finalist 2009

i don't think anyone under 40 or maybe even under 60, know what lard is

other than that the book was fine, it just doesn't appeal to me
Suzze Tiernan
Aug 04, 2013 Suzze Tiernan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story, nice pictures. Not sure if my little ones at storytime would understand the "competition".
Alicia
Jun 05, 2009 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd love to try many of the "weird" doughnuts - a calamari-shaped sweet would be delicious! Love the subtleties of the illustrations.
  • My Friend, the Starfinder
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Hoooo!
  • A Particular Cow
  • Magic Box
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Meet Me at the Moon
  • The Sunflower Sword
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Believe Me, Goldilocks Rocks!: The Story of the Three Bears as Told by Baby Bear
  • The Flower Man
  • Here Are My Hands
  • Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • The Ant and the Grasshopper
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster (Jeremy and the Monster)
Bob Staake has authored and/or illustrated more than forty-two books, including The Red Lemon, a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Children’s Book of the Year. His work has graced the cover of The New Yorker a dozen times, and his November 17, 2008 Barack Obama victory cover was named Best Magazine Cover of the Year by Time magazine. He lives on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts.
More about Bob Staake...