Start by marking “Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets” as Want to Read:
Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets

Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets

In this collection of 8 short fictions the author of A-Gin-Pissing-Raw-Meat-Duel-Carburetor-V8-Son-Of-A-Bitch From Los Angeles and Chump Change gives "a running commentary on the truth behind Los Angeles's gleaming fa ade a life of brief encounters, desperation, addiction and the chasm-sized distance between people. Dan Fante takes the traditional cab driver 'knowledge' to ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Sun Dog Press (first published December 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Short Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Dog

Col
May 27, 2015 Col rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, f
Blurb........"A running commentary on the truth behind Los Angeles' gleaming façade - a life of brief encounters, desperation addiction and the chasm-sized distance between people - Corksucker digs into the dark landscape of the real America. In eight brutally-honest short stories Dan Fante takes the traditional cab driver 'knowledge' to a deeper place fuelled by raw emotion, wine guzzling existentialism and fleetingly hopeful poetic epiphanies. Here, the City of Angels' halo has definitely slip ...more
Suvi
I believe the title is a word play from "cock sucker"? Would fit in nicely, since the characters seem to be a bunch of morons, who also happen to have difficulties in sorting out their lives. "Cork sucker" might mean someone who has problems with alcohol.

I have to say I was slightly disappointed. The stories were relatively entertaining, and some of the characters delightfully crazy (the giant snake story was gross but amusing). As a whole the collection just seemed a bit flat, or maybe I just d
Zeo
Feb 11, 2014 Zeo rated it liked it
babasinin izinden giden bir ogul icin fena is cikarmamis. dan'le tanistigim ilk kitapti, fena da degildi.
Chloe
Jul 12, 2014 Chloe rated it really liked it
Shelves: america
This could be really good if Dan Fante didn't try to be a better writer than his father. Is that legacy such a burden that he has to remind us every three lines that his characters are desperate, drunk, or broke? The stories are great but smell a bit fake sometimes.
Rich Osburn
Dec 18, 2013 Rich Osburn rated it it was amazing
To date, this is my second favorite book of all time. Why? I just love Dan's approach to his stories, and he does a brilliant job of tying it all together in the end. I have read it cover to cover a dozen times, and am always looking for another reason to walk in his shoes once more, and laugh aloud as he takes my down a side of the street I have never known. Brilliant work.
Tetikteol
Jan 05, 2013 Tetikteol rated it really liked it
mm, bir los angeles kaçıklaması olduğundan mütevellit okunmasında bir nevi fayda gördüm. faydalıdır. okunsun. amerikayı görmek istemek birşey değildir. amerikada taksici olmayı istemek, pompacı olmayı istemek, ayyaş olup köprü altlarında sıfırlanmayı istemek; işte budur amerikayı göğsünde uyutmak. onu sevmek. okuyun.
Ara Molina
May 19, 2012 Ara Molina rated it it was amazing
A compilation of short stories. Some are of them are funny and others are quite sad, but all of them are populated with the usual colorful characters that you find in all of Dan Fante's books.
Matt
Jan 24, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
Was curious to check out John Fante's kid. He's no slouch. Funny and revolting stories very much in his dad or Bukowski's style. Oddly moving and charming...
Robert Tomoguchi
Best author bio ever. I laughed a bunch at stuff I shouldn't have, that's what made the ending so pretty.
Zack
Mar 12, 2010 Zack rated it it was amazing
These stories are brutally short. I'm looking forward to reading Dan's new one, 86'd.
Stephane
Aug 01, 2015 Stephane rated it liked it
Enjoyed it but definitely not as good and strong as his previous works.
Black Coffee Press
Nov 21, 2012 Black Coffee Press rated it it was amazing
A balls heavy collection.
Lapetitesteph
Trop bien.
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Furkan Alga
Furkan Alga rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2016
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Phil
Phil added it
Aug 19, 2016
Brann Joly
Brann Joly marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Kerchival Holt
Kerchival Holt marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Wibke Van Maartens
Wibke Van Maartens is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2016
Mark Doran
Mark Doran rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2016
Jo March
Jo March marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Karri Kilpinen
Karri Kilpinen rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
J.R.
J.R. rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Robert Cross
Robert Cross marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Kurt
Kurt marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016