Start by marking “How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages of Nought” as Want to Read:
How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages of Nought

How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages of Nought

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  7 reviews
At sixteen, Wendy Redbird Dancing flies her freak flag high; she’s a scary-smart white girl with a hippie mom, a missing father, and a rarefied Michael Jackson obsession. It doesn’t help that her mother just uprooted them yet again, this time from California to North Carolina. Now Wendy has to survive a new school and fight bullies who rule this Southern roost.

But one bla
Published March 2013 by Lyn Hawks

Be the first to ask a question about How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages of Nought

Dana
What an amazing read!

Wendy Redbird is a 16 year old Sophomore who is quirky, sassy, savvy, and especially book smart. She is also, as any child vulnerable. At the young age of 10 she experiences a trauma from the hands of one of her mother's many boyfriends.

Along the way Wendy's mother moves them from place to place, state to state, looking for the perfect "settle" and has a man in the back up plans everywhere they end up. Wendy never gets a choice in the matter, and must put aside her desires f
Bob Mustin
This is a heart-filled book. Wendy is tough, but she's vulnerable enough to trust; she's wise beyond her years, but she proves over and over that she's still a girl. Only a character with such resilience, such pluck, could make me want to read her story, then turn back to page one and read it again. Fairchild Hawks is a writer who knows how to develop characters in the depth they deserve. I suspect you'll hear much more of her writing in the future.
C. Clark
Lyn Fairchild Hawks writes with an intriguing voice that captures me. I do not read young adult, yet I looked forward to the world of Wendy Redbird Dancing each and every night as I picked up the book to take in a few more chapters. The protagonist is real, tough, tender, believable, and heart-wrenching. The story very plausible. Wendy's thinking, and her reactions, make you feel so deeply for her. The story covers a serious issue that Ms. Hawks addressed adeptly, and I'm saving this book for yo ...more
Compulsion Reads
When you’re young and your mom is more preoccupied with her current boyfriend than you, it makes sense to find something to cling to. For Wendy Redbird Dancing it is Michael Jackson, or MJ as she likes to call him. In 2009, Wendy and her mother, Sunny move back to her hometown after Sunny goes through another break-up. For Wendy, this is just another stop on the carousel that is her life. In three months Sunny will have found and lost a new boyfriend and Wendy will be forced to make new friends ...more
Heather
(This review can be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

When I came across this book on Goodreads, there was something about the blurb that made me want to read it, so when I got asked if I'd like to review it, I said yes instantly. While the first half of the book was a bit hit and miss, the second half really became interesting!

The title is a bit of a mouthful although interesting. I had a hard time remembering what the book was called due to the long name
I absolutely loved this book! Written in first person, this novel shows us what it's like for teens to growing up in this difficult world today. Dealing with sexual abuse, race and many other things that plague teens in this day and age. Wendy struggles with her emotions a great deal. This book will draw you in. Loved it!

I received this through the Goodreads first read program in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!
Maria
It is a wonderful feeling to read such a good book and know that the author is a friend. Wendy Redbird is a strong girl who becomes a woman and in the process learns the importance of faith and love. I absolutely loved it!
Angie Henderson
Angie Henderson marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Kelley Tackett
Kelley Tackett marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Nikki Laird
Nikki Laird marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Beppe DM
Beppe DM marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Patrick Siu
Patrick Siu marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Patricia Willers
Patricia Willers marked it as to-read
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Rhonda McCormack
Rhonda McCormack marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Written Melodies
Written Melodies marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Ann Schwarz
Ann Schwarz marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Roberta
Roberta marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Silvana
Silvana marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Roxanne Legrand
Roxanne Legrand marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
  • Where You Can Find Me
  • Serenade
  • A Journey to the Four Kingdoms
  • 1-800-Mischief (The Loki Adventures, #1)
  • Little Robot
  • Recollections of Jerusalem
  • Cannibal Fat Camp
  • Kingdom of Heroes
  • A Play of Shadow
  • Jenala (The Swords of Gregara)
  • The Red Dragon
  • I Hate Martin Amis et al.
  • Shadow of the Piper
  • Gringolandia
  • Count Me In: How I Stepped Off the Sidelines, Created Connection, and Built a Fuller, Richer, More Lived-in Life
  • You're Perfect ... and Other Lies Parents Tell: The Ugly Truth about Spoiling Your Kids
  • God Loves Hair
  • The Cool School: Writing from America's Hip Underground
Lyn Fairchild Hawks is the author of How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages of Nought, her debut novel, and The Flat and Weightless Tang-Filled Future, a collection of short stories. She is a member of the writers' co-operative, True North Writers and Publishers.

She is also author of Teaching Julius Caesar: A Differentiated Approach, and is co-author of The Compassionate Classroom: Lesso
More about Lyn Fairchild Hawks...
The Flat and Weightless Tang-Filled Future Teaching Julius Caesar: A Differentiated Approach The Flat and Weightless Tang-Filled Future & Other Stories Teaching Romeo and Juliet: A Differentiated Approach The Compassionate Classroom: Lessons That Nurture Wisdom and Empathy