Start by marking “Heart-Shaped” as Want to Read:
Heart-Shaped

Heart-Shaped

Written with sensitivity, humour and a lightness of touch, HEART-SHAPED is a companion to Siobhan Parkinson's highly-acclaimed novel, BRUISED - for fans of Meg Rosoff, Aidan Chambers and David Levithan. Annie makes a startling discovery one day - and everything changes. She fears for the safety of her boyfriend Jonno, who has vanished, knowing he is in desperate trouble. F ...more
Published August 1st 2013 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Heart-Shaped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart-Shaped

Penguin
Dec 26, 2016 Penguin rated it liked it
Heart Shaped reminds me of We Were Liars and not in a good way. It is narrated by 14-year-old Annie, and talks about topics like sexual harassment, depression, and death. It's not what you expect. Since the blurb I read wasn't that good, I read the first chapter, and that's not like the main book at all. It was very confusing (like We We Liars) and I'm not sure I like that.
Arjun Thakrar (Excellent Reads)

Heart Shaped. The title instantly reminded me of Heart Shaped Bruise so naturally I was on the look out for any similarities between the books and whilst there were many difference I did seem to find one major; whether I was looking to hard or not, a lot of this book is Annie telling her head doctor her story... which is nearly identical to what happened in Heart Shaped Bruise. However that's beside the point. Overall it was a good story, well written and evoking a lot of emotion, but it just wa
Shannon
Apr 14, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: cover-love
Link To My Blog Here!

REVIEW: Heart Shaped is Parkinson's companion novel which takes place in the same time frame as Bruised. Although the books are linked, you do not have to have read Bruised before reading this which is good as it has been many many years since I last read Bruised and I still enjoyed this novel.

This novel centres around Annie, an Irish teenager whose life is a little up and down lately. Firstly she has to deal with the troubles of secondary school, secondly she is dealing w
Kirsty Vizard
Heart Shaped is an emotional and passionate insight into a fourteen year old girl's mind as she tries to negotiate love, death, school, her relationship with her father and her friends. Annie is the book's narrator and the prose could be said to be erratic, but I like the style which is authentic to her thoughts which are constantly changing.
Despite the trauma Annie has experienced the reader still witnesses a side of Annie which is witty and unselfish. She is like a butterfly who the reader see
Shaz Goodwin
Jul 11, 2013 Shaz Goodwin rated it liked it
I haven’t read Bruised but that hasn’t affected my reading experience of Heart Shaped.

Narrated by 14 year old Annie, we get to experience the hell that her life becomes after stumbling on something that traumatises her and brings up unhealed emotional wounds from her own childhood.

The people in her life – best friend Emma, her father, her brother Jaimie, the psychiatrist and teacher Mr O’Connell all have a part to play in supporting her. The anguish she feels over Jono’s disappearance feels very
Aug 15, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-library
Pretty depressing to start with, very confusing halfway through, rather sweet at the end. I found that this book could've had a great, moving, meaningful message to it, but it was all so rushed.
A quick read, though I won't say easy because of the confusing bits.
Imani
Aug 30, 2015 Imani rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and the concept but I felt like there wasn't much going on and the whole process of finding her best friend/true love was a bit to rushed and could have been portrayed a bit better but overall it was a good book!
Charlie
Nov 08, 2013 Charlie rated it it was ok
Loved the cover but unfortunately this just wasn't for me! I didn't particularly like Annie as a protagonist and I just found the disjointed storyline confusing more than anything.
Parkinson is clearly a talented author though, so others may still enjoy it. Just not my thing!
Dearbhla
Jul 03, 2013 Dearbhla rated it liked it
'Love is very powerful, Annie. But it can't cure cancer or stop a train. It doesn't work like that. '
Rachael Lamb
Rachael Lamb rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Raimy
Raimy rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Ceccy
Ceccy rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Sinéad Howlin
Sinéad Howlin rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2014
Gemma
Gemma rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2013
BOOKLOVER_123
BOOKLOVER_123 rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Charmian
Charmian rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Daisy
Daisy rated it liked it
May 20, 2015
Tala
Tala rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Elissa Fletcher
Elissa Fletcher rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Anna Byrne
Anna Byrne rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Bronagh O'Neill
Bronagh O'Neill rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Sorcha
Sorcha rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Mark Mannion
Mark Mannion rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Caitlin Yao
Caitlin Yao rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Rosa Siebold
Rosa Siebold rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Sara Honer
Sara Honer rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Sally
Sally rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2013
Siobhán Parkinson is an Irish writer for both children and adults. Siobhán grew up in Galway and Donegal. Her books have won numerous awards and have been translated into several languages. She is currently a co-editor of Bookbird, the magazine of international children's literature organsation IBBY. She resides in The Republic of Ireland with her husband Roger Bennett and son Matthew.
More about Siobhán Parkinson...