Start by marking “Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)” as Want to Read:
Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)

Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  701 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Eric Baldwin is the Federation's premier exologist, a specialist in all manner of alien life forms -- and one of Captain Picard's oldest, most trusted friends. But Baldwin's discoveries have made him enemies across the galaxy, and now he wants Picard to help him by erasing all traces of his existence.

But Picard soon finds himself with little time to worry about Baldwin's p
Mass Market Paperback, 244 pages
Published July 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Boogeymen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boogeymen

Emily
Sep 18, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
Okay so the writing and lack of editing was atrocious . It physically injured me. However, the plot was pretty good, so it kept me until the end. I bought this when I was like 12 or 13, and then never read it. I found it buried in a bookshelf in my basement and read it for the hell of it (also because I'm on a Star Trek kick, so sue me). Like I said, there were an exceptional amount of mistakes in here, some of which were so blatantly obvious (calling women 'he' several times throughout the boo ...more
Camille
Jan 24, 2013 Camille rated it liked it
Oh Wesley Crusher, your anxiety, curiosity and intelligence will destroy The Enterprise one day, I swear!

The crew is faced with the two separate dilemmas which suddenly become mixed together. Will they survive? Will the Enterprise be destroyed? Did Troi really come up with the solution? Is Beverly going to hook up with the Captain towards the end? My friends, you will all find out if you read it...

Ok, ok, this is NOT the greatest TNG novel, nor is it the worst. It's pretty average on the cusps
Bradley
Oct 23, 2015 Bradley rated it liked it
Fun solid read. Enjoyed it. =)
Benjamin Featherston
Aug 17, 2016 Benjamin Featherston rated it really liked it
Whenever I pick up a Star Trek novel by the writer outside of the usual stable of Trek authors, it is always with some trepidation. Just how well does this new author understand Star Trek, and what makes it appealing to me as a viewer and potential reader? How well does he or she understand the characters? Will this novel be little better than bad fan fiction?

Mel Gilden captures the atmosphere of season 3 of TNG, both in how the characters are portrayed and the type of story being told. At many
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
Boogeymen mostly revolves around Wesley Crusher, Data and Jean-Luc Picard as they struggle to figure out how the Boogeymen can possibly be taking over the Enterprise. I always liked the character of Wesley Crusher and was sad when he left the show. I thought he had a lot of potential to evolve into a very interesting, and powerful, being in the Star Trek Universe.

Mel Gilden has done wonderful job in nailing the Star Trek characters in this book. This story must have taken place right before Wes
Aaron
Jul 25, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it
It had been much too long since I had perused the shelves of my Star Trek novels. Of course, my favorite is TNG. I picked "Boogeymen" because it was early in series of novels (#17) and it, according to the back cover, dealt with one of Picard's old friends, and too, it alludes that the setting is the Enterprise itself.

The only setback is that the novel's main antagonist (heheh) is that annoyingly puerile Ensign Wesley Crusher. The thing is, he's not that annoying here—not as much as usual anyway
Oct 03, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: tng-novels
This is a somewhat odd book and I don't think the back cover blurb will lead to quite accurate expectations. In brief and probably spoiler-y,(view spoiler) and everything has to be fixed. If you don't like Wesley this may not be the book for you, and des ...more
Emi Jerome
Aug 09, 2015 Emi Jerome rated it did not like it
I'm almost certain that this book didn't go through any kind of editing process. Few of the crew were in character, the plot was incoherent, and there were atrocious grammar mistakes throughout the 50 pages that I was able to stomach. As an avid Next Gen fan, I couldn't handle how poorly this was written.
Robert
Dec 21, 2015 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-tng
Solomon Woytowich
Feb 20, 2014 Solomon Woytowich rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A classic I read as a kid, I always love a good Star Trek story.
K
Aug 27, 2014 K rated it really liked it
4.25/5
Cary Spratt
May 28, 2016 Cary Spratt rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, star-trek
This book starts off as a fairly generic 'malfunctioning holodeck' plot. It's only after they get rescued from the holodeck (about halfway through) that things get interesting. Therefore, I'm giving the first half of the book 2 stars and the second half 4 stars, for an average rating of 3.
Daniel Kukwa
Jul 22, 2013 Daniel Kukwa rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek
A TNG novel so bland & beige that I could barely make it to the finish line. There are things that occur in this book, events that take place...yet why did I have the feeling as I was (barely) reading it that absolutely nothing was happening?
Jeff
Feb 04, 2008 Jeff added it
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
David
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Tamara
Aug 05, 2012 Tamara rated it really liked it
A great, page turning, funny book packed with accurate character depictions. A little too much filler at the end. An enjoyable read.
Angela
A holodeck mishap sends the Enterprise into trouble. A good Picard and Wesley story.
Blooming
Jun 26, 2012 Blooming rated it it was amazing
Incredibly entertaining. Funny...but goes on about two chapters too long
Stacey Schmidt
Fantastic book!!
Crystal Hill
Crystal Hill rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Forrest Zimmermann
Forrest Zimmermann marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Brian Barnett
Brian Barnett marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Cf Bowers
Cf Bowers rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Liesel
Liesel rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Desply
Desply marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Paul Ranson
Paul Ranson rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
dean penwarden
dean penwarden rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation #12)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)