Start by marking “Dangerous Women” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Women

Dangerous Women (Dangerous Women Anthology)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,466 Ratings  ·  1,251 Reviews
All new and original to this volume, the 21 stories in Dangerous Women include work by twelve New York Times bestsellers, and seven stories set in the authors’ bestselling continuities — including a new “Outlander” story by Diana Gabaldon, a tale of Harry Dresden’s world by Jim Butcher, a story from Lev Grossman set in the world of The Magicians, and a 35,000-word novella ...more
Published December 3rd 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Women, please sign up.

Cat I had not read any of the wider series (except George RR Martin's Game of Thrones) and I enjoyed every one of the stories. Although, one, (The Dresden…moreI had not read any of the wider series (except George RR Martin's Game of Thrones) and I enjoyed every one of the stories. Although, one, (The Dresden Files short story), may be a little spoilerific for those who have not read them and want to in future. :) (less)

Robin Hobb
Dec 21, 2013 Robin Hobb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caveat: Megan Lindholm has a story in this book. That's me, wearing a different hat. So perhaps it's not fair for me to review this book or give it five stars.

Except that when I read it, I didn't bother much with my own story, as I'd already read it several hundred times in the course of writing and revising it.

I read the other stories, and found each one to offer me something of value. I would not give each, individual story in this anthology five stars. That would be silly. Each of the stories
Markus
Jul 26, 2015 Markus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, audiobooks, westeros
Well... what should I say about this?

Dangerous Women is my first fictional anthology. An anthology co-edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, with an intriguing theme and lots of famous authors seemed like a safe bet when it came to choosing one. And it was not.

The wildly interesting 'Dangerous Women' theme was mostly absent, to the extent that I forgot about it while reading each of the stories. I expected female warriors, assassins, ruthless queens. I got lying whores, mothers tired o
Autumn
Jan 03, 2014 Autumn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alex Ristea
Let me begin by saying that expectations are everything.

With names on the cover like Abercrombie, Hobb, Sanderson, Grossman, and Butcher, you expect a certain quality of story. When the editors are Martin and Dozois, you can't help but think that this anthology will be a masterpiece.

I was extremely disappointed.

First, the "Dangerous Women" theme failed miserably. I am still shocked at how few strong female leads there were, and how many of the stories were outright sexist. I guess I was expectin
Armina
Aug 16, 2015 Armina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Armina by: Gavin

Update 30/12/2014

Virgins by Diana Gabaldon

Buddy read with Gavin

3 STARS

I started reading this novella in August and finished it an hour ago. Strange, eh? It’s 3 hours in audio. Does this mean it’s bad, you would say? Nope, it’s not bad. It’s nothing special either. It’s the kind of read which you could drop at any time and return back to it months later(obviously). The story still has the ability to keep your interest but on the other hand you won’t loose anything if you do not read it.

I st
Jill
Mar 16, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A tale of two virgins....

Jamie (aka Diego) and Ian (aka Juan) are the titular virgins.

The story begins in October, 1740 near Bordeaux, France. Jamie has just arrived from Scotland, delivered by Murtagh, instructing him to stay and not return to Scotland. To earn their way, Jamie and Ian work as mercenaries, protecting and delivering goods and people safely to destinations for payment.

Diana Gabaldon has done a great job of the characterisations of Jamie and Ian as young men. Interesting to note
Amanda
Jun 26, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
**only read Virgins by Diana Gabaldon - 4 's**

description

Loved reading about Diego and Juan but it makes me realize there's so much more we don't really know about Jamie. It was hard hearing about his early "love" but I got a kick out of their sexual frustrations!

I would definitely recommend this to all Jamie lovers...it's not a must read but why wouldn't you want to read it?

(can June get here any faster??!!)
Bookworm Sean
I bought this book for two reasons: George R R Martin’s The Princess and the Queen and Joe Abercrombie’s Some Desperado; they turned out to be amongst the best tales in the book.

In this anthology there is something for everyone; fantasy, sci-fi, murder mystery and general modern fiction. I have included a review for each and every short story in here.

Joe Abercrombie, Some Desperado -(4*)- An action packed story that in essence, is an encounter between an outlaw and some bounty hunters. This is t
Tanya
Jan 21, 2015 Tanya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a diehard Outlander nerd (don't judge me) and got Dangerous Women so I could read Diana Gabaldon's "Virgins" novella. I'm obviously not very objective, but I did enjoy it. It offers insight into Jamie's history, his relationship with Ian Murray, and how he developed into the character we meet in Outlander. If you're into Outlander, read it.

I read "Virgins" first and then looked forward to having a book of snack-pack stories I could enjoy when I had a few minutes here and there. Unfortunate
Andreas
Jun 28, 2014 Andreas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2014
Cross-genre (fantasy, science fiction, horror, mystery, historical fiction etc.) anthology featuring stories about woman. There are lots of excerpts and reviews to be found at tor.com

The broad range of genres working on the same theme is really good and fascinating. Some stories that would have been far worse when standing for its own work very fine here. On the other hand, GRRM's contribution is displaced and probably only for marketing purposes included, leading to a hype that the anthology ca
Dara
Full disclosure: I did not read every story in this anthology.

I liked most of the stories I read in this collection about dangerous women. Some stories stuck to the theme better than others. For instance, "Wrestling Jesus" by Joe R. Lansdale was more about an old man teaching a boy to fight more than any dangerous woman. The woman in the story appears briefly and is mentioned one other time.

My favorite stories were "Raising Stepanova" by Carrie Vaughn, a tale about a female Russian fighter pilot
Rob
Review
I haven't read a lot of anthologies. After reading this one, I'm not planning on reading a lot more. I certainly don't plan to buy anymore anthologies. My overall sentiment for this collection is: borrow it from somewhere. I paid full price to get it when it came out and I regret buying it.

I'm not going to every story. There are too many. There are a few really enjoyable stories here. There are a few stories I really despised, one of which (Virgins) I just couldn't finish.

I bought this m
Kevin Xu
First off just to say I'm not a big fan of anthologies because I'm not a really big fan of the short stories, but even if I was I think I would think this is one if not the most over hyped and overrated anthologies of all times. I think in part it has to do with the publisher Tor hyping the book up over the summer with excepts of different short stories to get the readers interested. Second I think the book is hyped so much because of all the big names in the book, especially the fantasy authors ...more
Ashley
This was pretty good for an anthology, but I really prefer longer stories, as it really takes a talented author to make me care for characters in such a short period of time, or to have a plot immediately interesting enough to trump my interest in the characters. Short stories also tend more towards the self-important and annoying. Anyway, this was worth it just for the Martin and Sanderson stories alone, and there were several others I really enjoyed as well including ones from Robin Hobb (as M ...more
Nerdsfeather
So here's the thing: as I've mentioned before, anthologies kind of weird me out with their haphazardness, and this one's no exception. Reading it is like going on one of those bottom-drops-out amusement park rides, sending your stomach plummeting down into your socks (which feels icky) at times, then rocketing that very same stomach into the stratosphere far above your head (which feels great!). This simile is kind of getting away from me here, but suffice it to say that unbridgeable chasms in g ...more
Dangerous Women spans a wide range of styles and caters to a ton of different tastes. I enjoy sampling all of the different styles the genre has to offer, but not everyone does. Some readers might find Dangerous Women to be too disjointed. They might think that the theme, “dangerous women” doesn’t unify the stories enough. Truthfully, there’s not only a wide range of writing styles here, but there’s just as many different strong, capable, and dangerous women in this anthology. Not every “dangero ...more
Jilly
I only read the Harry Dresden short story called "Bombshells" about Molly, Harry's apprentice. This story is about her time while Harry was dead/undead/ghosting/comatose/whatever...

This story was so much fun because it was all about girl power. I am all about girls who don't get involved in petty jealousy and can befriend girls who are beautiful on the outside and inside. I love it when girls lift each other up, because life is hard enough without us fighting our own teammates. Am I right?
girl power photo: Girl Power girlpower.png

So, M
Tammy
Dec 08, 2013 Tammy rated it it was amazing
I read three of the anthologies on here. The Diana Gibaldon, Sherrilyn Kenyon and of course George R.R. Martin.

Loved Diana's Virgins... I can never get enough of Jaime and I really enjoyed this side of Ian.

No idea what Sherrilyn was getting at or which series this short came from but it was good.

And I loved GRRMartins short also. Good fillers but made me want to go back and read their counterparts...

So... I'm starting outlander again :)
Chris
Well then. This took me a long ass time to get through (5 months). To be fair, for most of that time I had it on the back burner, slipping a story in here and there between larger projects. I bought the hardcover, but ended up listening to it on audiobook because that fit my schedule better.

So overall, I liked it. It was full of solid, well written stories. I don't think there was a bad one in the bunch. However, while I would say they were "good", many of these were fairly boring. Worth a read
Vivian
Dec 14, 2013 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I loved that this read like a history book, and even had a footnote to further explain how the two Targaryen families had divded the court into the green and black party. It made me feel like I was doing research for a paper on Targaryen Monarchy, you know for my elective class at King's Landing University.
Gavin
Jun 18, 2014 Gavin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This anthology was a real mixed bag of a book. Some of the novellas were quite good while others were worse than awful. Some short thoughts on the ones I bothered reading:

Some Desperado by Joe Abercrombie.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the story itself as the narrator Stana Katic ( of Castle fame ) was the worst I have ever encountered. The story was boring and populated by unlikable characters.

All in all I was quite disappointed by my first try of Abercrombie.

Rating: 2 stars.

My Heart is E
Eric
May 07, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of these authors and their series
Recommended to Eric by: Library
The stories I read from this collection are:

'Some Desperado' by Joe Abercrombie

Considering how well known Abercrombie is for his lengthy novels, he did surprisingly well with this briefer format, a prequel of sorts to Red Country that introduces the character Shy South. Definitely worth a read before jumping into that novel, to a) see if you like the setting, and b) get acquainted with Shy ahead of the novel. This story can be found for free on Tor's website here.

'Shadows For Silence in the Fore
El
This book was brought to my attention thanks to Eleventh Stack. (Also adoring the photo included behind the link of four women members of the Missouri University Shooting Club from 1934.)

I fully intended to do that thing I sometimes do where I review each short story as I read it because I am notorious for having a shit memory and I take a while to read collections of short stories, so by the time I finish a collection I'm all "What was the first story about again?"

But I also get bored easily, s
Cher
Mar 25, 2016 Cher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short_stories
2 stars - Meh. Just ok.

Major disappointment! Despite the big names involved, most of these stories were underwhelming, and almost all were forgettable.

The Dangerous Women anthology contains the following stories:

- “Some Desperado” by Joe Abercrombie - A Red Country story. 3.5 stars. Lots of action, sarcastically funny in parts. One of the few stories that fit the expectations I had for short stories about dangerous women.

- “My Heart is Either Broken” by Megan Abbott - 2 stars. More of a contemp
Mollie
Aug 19, 2015 Mollie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ian is still the greatest best friend ever and Jamie is still the king of men. (Er shall I say, Juan & Diego. Lol. Those are their Spanish names.)

With wounds still fresh, Diego (Jamie) joins Juan (Ian) and a group of mercenaries to complete a couple of tasks, but get caught up with a prostitute at a brothel and a client's granddaughter.

I'm not going to say if they came back from this as "virgins" or if they planned to, *side-eyeing both men* but this does explain a few things. It also proves
Nermin
This is an excerpt from “The Princess and The Queen, or, The Blacks and The Greens”. A story set in the Westeros chronicling the Dance of the Dragons, one of the the bloodiest wars between two Targaryens over the Iron Throne.

Having read and loved the excerpt, I can't wait to read the rest of the story and the whole of the anthology itself. It's a good thing that it's coming out this December. I hope it will make the wait for the Winds of Winter a bit more bearable.

JaphiaHart
Dec 03, 2013 JaphiaHart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Princess and a Queen: I'm a Westeros History nut so this short story was perfect for me. At least one more reread is in order just to pick up on anything I might have missed. Great read. I recommend. Prepare for dragons!
Regina
Dangerous Women (edited by George R.R. Martin) is a collection of stories that probably are better described as novellas. They are long, well developed and something to sink into on their own.

I know anthologies are a tough sell, at least for me. I usually check them out from the library (I did with this one). I know people say that they learned about a new author while reading an anthology, but not me. I usually won't read a story by an author I haven't tried out. But this book, okay so it clea
julio
Dec 24, 2013 julio marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
lol ...wut
  • The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination: Original Short Fiction for the Modern Evil Genius
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Unfettered
  • Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • Carniepunk
  • Sword & Laser Anthology
  • Games Creatures Play
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • Legends II
  • Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
  • Shadows Beneath: The Writing Excuses Anthology
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Vignette (The Dresden Files, #5.5)
  • White Knight
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

Dangerous Women (3 books)
  • Dangerous Women 1
  • Dangerous Women 2
  • Dangerous Women 3

“A woman could be strong without having the emotions of a brick.” 9 likes
“Drunks they may be, but a drunken man knows not fear. Fools, aye, but a fool can kill a king. Rats, that too, but a thousand rats can bring down a bear.” 5 likes