Start by marking “Maisy Big, Maisy Small” as Want to Read:
Maisy Big, Maisy Small

Maisy Big, Maisy Small (Maisy)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Get a whole new perspective on Maisy! Lucy Cousins reimagines her famous mouse in an exuberant concept book that will fascinate young fans.

You’ve never seen Maisy like this! She’s fast, she’s slow, she’s messy, she’s clean — in this kaleidoscopic concept book, the beloved mouse even changes her look from familiar to new as she demonstrates thick and thin, tall and short, y
Published August 14th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published January 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Maisy Big, Maisy Small, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maisy Big, Maisy Small

Rose Jones
Working in the Early Years Sector. I read the children at least one Maisy book a day, normal every single one every day! I'm reviewing Maisy books in general here.
My age group (18 months - 36 months) love the bright colours, simplicity of the books and the core characters enable them to really understand the stories.
The Maisy books are also great for the children to actively participate (good for bringing wiggly hands and bottoms back in) it is easy to invent simple actions, get the children t
Patricia
Carriek
Rebecca Ann
A book of opposites, great for toddlers with vibrant, messy illustrations and short sentences.
jacky
This is a pretty good opposites book. It has nice variety. I particularly like some of the colorful artwork, namely spots \ stripes, messy, and happy \ sad. Natalie responded well to it asking to hear it many times and even keeping it in her bed a few nights. Even after we returned it she still brought up some of the ideas, particularly stop and go. As far as a Maisy book, it stands alone without having to know or like the other Maisy titles.
Robin Rousu
I was pleasantly surprised by this opposites book. The big, bright, saturated illustrations are visually appealing, developmentally appropriate, and do a good job of portraying the concept stated in the refreshingly simple text. Some of the concept pairs are a smidge abstract or are not true opposites, but overall, the book is a winner.
Vicki
A great book of opposites for the young crowd. The illustrations are vivid and worked well for the Tiny Tot group. The only commment for this age group was this book was too long, so I just skipped a couple pages when the children grew restless. With an older group it would have been fine.
Danielle
A book of opposites but not really. The opposite of round is not square nor is the opposite of fly swim. Most things are opposite, so it works mostly.
Ina
Maisy demonstrates the concept of opposites in big bold pictures and simple texts. Although, I questioned some of the opposite pairs, the kids at storytime loved the pictures and who doesn't love Maisy? Even Maisy thick and Maisy Thin...or Maisy round and Maisy Square?
Amanda
Not all of these are strictly speaking opposites, but there are LOTS of examples. Will seemed to like the bright colors, but I'm not sure it helped him understand the concepts any more. It's also kind of long for his attention. Little Monster's Opposites was more his speed...
Meredith
Woo! Opposites! The problem with books like this is that not everything in them is actually opposite (fluffy and spiky? Really?), and they tend to go on a little long. But Maisy always has fun pictures, and overall, it's a good concept book.
Kirsten
The preschool kids really seemed to like this, and there's quite a bit of opportunity for interaction, with having them guess the pairs of opposites. It can get kind of tiresome to read out loud, though, since there is no plot.
Tiffany Labreck
Book Level: toddler

This book is great for small children to explore the differences in big and small. Give it to a toddler who loves books and let them sit for hours while reading and re reading this book.
Msor
By far the best opposites book for toddlers that I've read. Great illustrations that very clearly demonstrate the concepts. I don't at all mind reading this book again again again again to my toddler!
Kirei
Feb 15, 2008 Kirei rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: babies/toddlers
Shelves: younger-kids
We like it, but I found it annoying that the noun and adjective are reversed: Maisy Big, Maisy Small, for example.
But very colorful with lots of vocabulary for the smallest child.
Samantha
Nov 21, 2011 Samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children Learning Opposites
Such a colorful book!!! The illustrations really remind me of when I used to draw & color when I was young. The best books are the ones that make you go down memory lane. =)
Pebbles
This book really kept the attention of a few small children at once. Really easy for them to get involved in the story, and it's got big, bright, simple pictures.
Teacher.
I prefer the Maisy stories, but young Maisy fans will enjoy the colorful and fun illustrations. I rather missed Maisy's friends!
Polly
Too long for anyone that a Maisy opposites book is really helpful for. I usually have to skip large chunks of it.
Dawn
Aug 16, 2011 Dawn added it
Shelves: kids-books
This book of opposites with one of the boys' favorite characters is one they like to read by themselves or with us.
Pauline
Cute pictures, but some of the opposite pairs were not really opposites...kinda weird for a kids' book.
The Library Lady
One thing is sure. I vastly prefer Maisy in BOOKS as opposed to the TV version with the icky squeaky voices!
Alexandria
Very nice pictures. It is a very good book if kids want to learn opposites.
Stephanie
Big bright pictures great for babies and toddlers.
Armen Sanasarian
Garo loves this book. So I'll second him.
Susan
Solid opposite book for the younger set.
Rose
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Hello Baby!
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • Oh, Daddy!
Lucy Cousins, BA Honours in Graphic Design from The Faculty of Arts and Architecture, Brighton Polytechnic, postgraduate degree from Royal College of Art, is an author-illustrator of children's books. She is best known for her books featuring Maisy Mouse but she has also published other children's books including one about Noah's Ark. She is a mother of four and lives in Hampshire, England. Her ow ...more
More about Lucy Cousins...

Maisy (1 - 10 of 140 books)
  • Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Maisy's Bedtime
  • Doctor Maisy
  • Maisy Drives the Bus
  • Maisy's Pool
  • Maisy Goes Camping: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Maisy Cleans Up
  • Maisy Takes a Bath
  • Maisy's Rainbow Dream (Maisy)
  • Maisy Makes Gingerbread
Hooray For Fish! Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book Peck, Peck, Peck Yummy: Eight Favorite Fairy Tales Maisy Goes to Preschool: A Maisy First Experiences Book