Start by marking “Pitch (Transitions, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pitch (Transitions, #1)

Pitch (Transitions #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  68 reviews
The day Jackson Kern walks into Taylor Andrews’s classroom is a momentous day in Taylor's life. He's had crushes before, sure, but as time goes on, this is starting to look a whole lot more serious. Still, Jackson doesn’t return Taylor’s feelings.

Taylor has his own admirers, though. Kevin Richards is used to getting what he wants, and what he wants right now is Taylor, so
Published August 8th 2013 by Harmony Ink (first published August 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pitch

Susan

Hmmmm…I think reviewing this book will be a bit difficult for me. I am a fan of the author and enjoyed his other work “500 Miles”. However, this one…well for me personally, just didn’t connect.

0 – 70%: I can see someone who really is a YA “traditionalist” liking this. But, though I am a YA fan, this portion was just a little too…simplistic, unrealistic, and felt more like a book appropriate for a pre-teen or even younger audience. Juniors and Seniors in high school that I know don’t t
Bev

Well, I really enjoyed reading this one, but not as much as I thought I would. Lots of YA cliches, BFF's, complete cowpat of a 'girlfriend', the super jock who was in the closet...sorry Will, but 3.5 rounded up to 4

Jackson Kern walks into his new school one day, and Taylor Andrews is immediately smitten. Bitchy Becca (yes, another one) is asked by the teacher to look after Jackson and show him around. He's good for her ego being a jock, clever and hot, and I hated her from the start...these che
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I'm always eager to pick up a baseball book and even though I've been interested in several and still plan to review a few of them, it has been a while since I've picked up a book from DSP's young adult imprint. From what I gather in the acknowledgements, this is Will Parkinson's debut novel. Sometimes it's a gamble picking books to read by a new author or an author I've never read, but that's another part of reviewing that I like. Reviewing gives me the oppo
Jules Lovestoread
Pitch is a story about friendship, love, honesty, redemption, and most of all loyalty.

Mr. Parkinson has written a beautiful book, with some fantastic characters. You will absolutely fall in love with Benny. Taylor, too...but, Benny is beyond fabulous. One of the best, best friends I've read.

My emotions ran the gamut while reading this, I loved it so much. I laughed. I sighed. I was in shock. I swooned. And, I even shed a few tears. Will does such a great job of developing his characters, that
Mary Wallace (Madam Aus)
I just want to preface this review with how much I love this book. Now I know for all of my friends and family who have known me a long time, most don't necessarily agree with my genres of choice and quite frankly that doesnt really bother me too much any more. More like I feel bad that so many of my friends will never get to know how fantastic some of my favorite authors are.
BUT this book Pitch is, more than anything, the story of five kids coming of age. Yes it is young adult and yes it is M
Anyta Sunday
4 - 4.5

Let me start by saying I read this in one sitting. I was hooked, and I couldn’t put the story down. Way past midnight I finished, and I think that speaks a lot for my enjoyment of this story. This was a sweet, gentle read and who cares if I was a grumpy poobum today, it was worth it.

The things I liked:

How well this story portrays the hopes, yearnings, and starry-eyed moments of youth.

That the book explored not only romance—in fact, that was almost a side story in this book—but emotions o
Brian
The following is from the Author’s Bio at the end of “Pitch”; “He wanted his characters to have their happily ever after, but that doesn’t mean that it’s going to come easily.” That singular statement could not be more apt.

From the very beginning, Mr. Parkinson weaves a formidable and compelling story from a grand assortment of characters. This story will have you tears from the horrors beset Addy, the turmoil of Jackson’s life, to the ultimate price paid for by Taylor’s dread and obstinacy. Yes
Brian
This is the literary equivalent of everything but the kitchen sink.

When you try to cram so much stuff into a certain amount of space, something gets neglected. In this case, it's the characters who suffer the most. With the exception of Benny, none of the characters had a defined voice. There was such an homogenous feeling to everyone that it all seemed to lack any realness. This lack of depth amplifies the superficiality of the never-ending stream of events that keep unfolding.

Samantha
I have an Author friend to thank for introducing me to this book and the Author. This has to be one of the best YA books I have read for a while I’ve gone in melt down this story will stay with me for a while.
It’s a well written book with a storyline that will break your heart in a good way and bad way. It flows nicely I didn’t want to put this book down till I finished it and read it in one sitting.
I cried, I laughed, I smiled I even wanted to hurt some people and I just loved everything about
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
4 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

That was pretty damn sweet. I wish I had been like these boys in High School. Very good and sure of what they wanted. Through that want they learned more about themselves and became better people. That desire to make the person you love proud and to be worthy of their admiration. Even if they don’t love you, you want them to be happy. Very romantic and pure. I really enjoyed the day-to-day growth of these guys.

Taylor falls for Jackson the minute he w
Trent
Dec 20, 2014 Trent rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: top
Thank you!!
Totally got this book. As a young male I connected with the character Taylor within the first few pages. I wanted to hit him sometimes which means he is normal.
Loved Benny and knew his secret pretty early on.
I am rushing off to buy Wet Paint.

Thanks again for a great book and loss of sleep Mr Parkinson.
Anke
Sep 29, 2013 Anke marked it as dnf
Funny, how different opinions can be. For me this book didn't work. I'm rather proud that I made it up to 47% but that's about it now. And I don't think that I'll give it another try later, nope, sorry. It started with the evil girlfriend, moved on to the speech with recapturing the sob-story that was the love-interests life and then came the Kevin-desaster. On top of all that there were stilted dialogues and the whole book felt unbalanced.
Vicki Dudley
BUY IT!! So worth it!!!
Gina
oh god..

I enjoyed this book up until the 50%. Taylor's unrequited love was so cute and heart breaking at the same time, Benny's straight and narrow personality was charming and likable, even the prince charming Jackson was good.

And then it started..

1. Unrealistic characters.
- MCs.. Taylor, Benny, Jackson.. They are all saint I tell you, All those teenagers worry about is making good grades, giving back to community, being a good son and student, spending time for volunteering. No raging horm
Nic
I found Pitch a wonderful story for many and varied reasons - the characters, the handling of very serious issues, the emotions, the happy ending!

Taylor and Jackson's journey was totally engaging and I enjoyed the emotional elements. The insight into Taylor's feelings was a sweet study of unrequited love and the details behind Jackson's own story came as a bit of surprise. There was something about both characters that drew me in.

The drama consists of scheming and deception to prevent Taylor and
Traci Kurtz
I don't really know where to start. There are so many things that I loved about this book(BENNY!!!).

Will has a lovely writing style that really appeals to me. It flows so beautifully that I get swept away into the story and don't want to come out.

Taylor is a character that I felt so connected to that I had my high school crush in the back of my mind through the whole book. The hopeless longing, the wistful dreams and the bitterness of rejection are all there.

I could go on and on about every l
Christy Loves 2 Read
I will preface this review by stating that I am not really a fan of young adult fiction. It's not a genre that really grabs me, probably because my own young adult days were equivalent to a horror movie where no matter how far you run, you just can't get away. However, I knew from the moment I heard that Will Parkinson was releasing his book, that I would read it. He's an incredible man and a beautiful writer so I knew that I would enjoy this story.

Taylor is a typically average high school boy,
Lucy
Taylor Andrews has a crush. A big one. He has unrequited feelings for the star of his high school baseball team, Jackson Kern. It’s too bad Jackson is straight and dating probably the biggest mean girl in the world, Becca. A boy can dream though, right? And dream Taylor does. He moons over Jackson, attends all the baseball games, volunteers for things important to Jackson. What he doesn’t do is talk to Jackson. In a scary-happy moment, Jackson turns up at Taylor’s house and of course Taylor is t ...more
Sammy Goode
High School is a tough place to be--even tougher if you are walking around with a secret that, if discovered, could change your life forever, and not necessarily in a good way. Taylor Andrews is gay. His best friend, Benny, is the only one who knows and Taylor would like to keep it that way. His resolve was fairly strong, until Jackson Kern arrived at school. Jackson was everything Taylor was not--confident, athletic, and unfortunately, straight, or so Taylor believes. As Taylor tries to strike ...more
Lauren Marks
Pitch was an amazing book. It flowed well and the characters didn’t just get one hurdle and then the perfect ending, they needed to work for it. It was sweet, adorable and just packed with emotions.

I read the whole book in one sitting, in the middle of my work week. Yes I had other things I should have been doing, but this was too good to put down.

Things I LOVED:

Becca, yes I know she is not meant to be loved. But she was such a teenage girl. I know these girls, I hated these girls in high school
GayListBookReviews
In full disclosure mode, let me start by saying that I didn't want to like this book. Why, you ask? Well, for the last couple of months there's been a new kid in town: Will Parkinson. Authors have been naming characters after him, praising him, long dedications have been seen and I felt like enough was enough. Who is this Will Parkinson person? Why, all of a sudden, does everyone love him?

You see, the answer to those questions is written all over Pitch.

Will Parkinson is an amazingly talented new
Sara
Don’t let others choose the kind of person you’re going to be.

That line right there is the theme of this book. From the moment we meet Taylor Andrews we know that he has a crush on the new boy who has walked into school. This crush turns quickly to infatuation as he sees Jackson Kern on the pitchers mound at baseball tryouts blowing the mind of the coach and everyone watching his ability. We see Taylor as he struggles with his unrequited feelings for Jackson; only telling his best friend Be
Alexander Vaughn
Life isn't easy! Plain and simple.This book isn't a cake walk. It deals with real life and very serious issues. One in particular hit home for me and HARD! It takes a lot of guts to venture into certain subject matter and give it the respect it deserves and the seriousness it must have. Not to mention doing that in a YA book. I commend Will Parkinson for tackling them and grabbing my heart doing it. I read the summary and I read the reviews and well first off I never judge reviews before I read ...more
Debra

I really haven't been reading much YA lately, but this one had been sitting on my Kindle. It was an overall good read that reminded me of all the things I love and hate about YA stories.

I enjoyed all the characters and I did get emotional over Taylor's struggles over not wanting to come out in HS and crushing on the presumably straight star of the school. Benny was a stellar best friend and confidant and I am definitely looking forward to his story. The mean girl was horrible and the v
Gigi
Apr 23, 2015 Gigi marked it as dnr-dnf-not-4-me
MCs are too young for my interest level at this time.
Carly
Set in Wisconsin, PITCH contains primarily high-school aged characters who encounter the full spectrum of emotional fluctuation one would expect from members of this age group, including ambivalence, acceptance and hate. The backbone of this story is rooted in how they react to their frequently complex and ever changing social environment. The time spent transitioning from adolescence to adulthood is never easy, but when those closest to you are sending mixed signals it's even harder to .

A multi
Becky Condit
Please leave comments on Becky's 5 sweet pea review at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index....

I know the story behind the story of Pitch – how Will Parkinson grew it with fertilizer in the form of encouragement from fellow authors, until it was a full-fledged novel that was immediately accepted by Harmony Ink, a division of Dreamspinner Press. What I didn’t know until I had the privilege of reading it cover to cover was what an amazing voyage of discovery into the adolescent psyche it turned o
Ulysses Dietz
Why do some of us never tire of reading YA novels? I really think it's because we never fully get over - or forget - our teen years, no matter how easy or difficult they might have been. Gay kids today seem, on the surface, to have it easier than we did a generation ago. But, really, is high school ever really easy? Nah.

Taylor Andrews is having a pretty good time of it. His best friend since forever, Benny, is big and strong and doesn't care that he's gay. Benny's got his back, and that's import
Susan Nicol
I don't read a lot of YA (but because this is Will Parkinson, and I read his book 500 Miles which he wrote as Parker Williams and I absolutely loved it), I just had to read his latest release.
And I'm so glad I did. The story of Taylor Andrews and Jackson Kern is an inspirational one of youth trying to find its way into what it wants to be, it's the tale of overwhelming friendship and acceptance, the heartbreak of misunderstandings and overall, the commitment of two people to each other despite a
Dennysgirl
I had high hopes for this book. If you are following the m/m writer community you have heard the name of the author on fb before, he is friends with some of the best-known names there. So I was curious.

And slightly dissapointed. I can't understand the good reviews. Parts of the book read like a blurb, jumping so fast in action that I had a feeling of fast forwarding. Then the reactions of the people....like..everything worked so smooth. Example: the camp (do they really let other boys "counsel"
The Backlot Gay B...: Pitch, by Will Parkinson 1 29 Aug 10, 2013 02:09PM
YA romance? 3 21 Mar 31, 2013 11:36AM
  • Omorphi
  • Nail Polish and Feathers (Deep Secrets and Hope, #1)
  • Not Broken, Just Bent
  • On the Right Track (Vocal Growth, #1)
  • A Broken Kind of Life
  • It Should Have Been You
  • By the Creek
  • The Magic Broom
  • 500 Miles (500 Miles 1, An MLR Mixed Tape)
  • Hat Trick (Hat Trick #1)
  • Five Ways a Boy Can Break Your Heart
  • Superhero
  • Last of the Summer Tomatoes (Young Love's Journey #1)
  • Play Me, I'm Yours
  • Wrestling with Desire (Wrestling #1)
  • Triane's Son Rising
  • Finding Our Way (Finding Our Way, #1)
  • You Belong With Me
I began a love affair with m/m books when I first found "The Telling" by Eden Winters. I absolutely loved it. I wrote to her, letting her know what I thought of the story and that began a correspondence that has lasted since. At one time Eden asked me, "Do you have stories to tell?" I explained to her that I wrote when I was younger, but no longer. She asked why. I told her the tale of my father w ...more
More about Will Parkinson...

Transitions (2 books)
  • Wet Paint (Transitions, #2)
Wet Paint (Transitions, #2) Nuttin' for Christmas