Start by marking “Murder in Malmö (Inspector Anita Sundstrom #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Malmö (Inspector Anita Sundstrom #2)

Murder in Malmö (Inspector Anita Sundstrom #2)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  817 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
A gunman is loose in Malmö and he's targeting immigrants. The charismatic head of an advertising agency is found dead in his shower. Inspector Anita Sundström wants to be involved in the murder investigations, but she is being sidelined by her antagonistic boss. She is assigned to find a stolen painting by a once-fashionable artist, as well as being lumbered with a new tra ...more
Published February 2013 by Torquil MacLeod Books

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Malmö, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Malmö

Christine
Aug 11, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it
This is the second Anita Sundstrom and it was a terrific read!

Anita Sundstrom is in the dog house at work and her personal life is just as awkward. She is very fed up and rather lonely, fixating on her son. Her colleagues get the glamorous high profile murders, including a man found dead in his shower room. Anita is stuck looking for stolen paintings, with a new young sidekick. Added to this mix, there is a gunman targetting the immigrant population of Malmo.

Anita really comes into her own in th
Rebecca Martin
The author needs to add depth to Det. Sundstrom. Her sadness that her son is growing up and doesn't need her so much anymore is one thing; however, the depiction of her emotional involvement with a man in prison is totally unconvincing. Her worries are more along the lines of "what will my colleagues think?" rather than "what is WRONG with me? this guy already killed one woman and maybe two!" (I shake my head and frown, uncomprehending).
R.E. E. Derouin
Nov 17, 2013 R.E. E. Derouin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This English author writes a mystery series set in Sweden and this is his fourth. Inspector Anita Sundstrom is his main character and except for the setting, (All are set in Malmo, Sweeden) it reads like any well written English or American police detective novel. I’ve read all four and this one is just as good as the others. The story concerns stolen art, an antagonistic boss, … a good read!
Claire
Aug 17, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing
Murder in Malmö by Torquil MacLeod Blog Tour
Today is my spot on the blog tour for Murder in Malmö by Torquil MacLeod, the second in his Inspector Anita Sundström euro noir crime series.

Published by: McNidder & Grace (23rd July 2015)

ISBN: 978-0857161147

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:
A gunman is loose in Malmö and he's targeting immigrants.

The charismatic head of an advertising agency is found dead in his shower.

Dave Hardy
Aug 24, 2015 Dave Hardy rated it really liked it
I’m really starting to love this series. This is the second release from Torquil MacLeod – Murder In Malmo. It’s a cleverly written classic mystery, crime procedure novel. I found the characters very easy to interact with and the consistency with each personality keeps you quite endeared. Inspector Anita Sundstrom has here struggles to keep here status after an incident in the first novel but she manages to keep her head above water. She is a lovely character and warmed to her very quickly. Ther ...more
Ron Chicaferro
Jan 23, 2016 Ron Chicaferro rated it really liked it
A super book and a super series. Inspector Sundstrom battles everything from male chauvinism to right-wing power brokers as well as a few murderers along the way. Sundstrom is no shrinking violet - she is a good cop and knows how to go about an investigation. She also is battling some ghosts left over from the first book in the Sundstrom series, Meet Me In Malmo - The author cleverly brings the reader up to date from the first book so nothing is lost if you haven't yet read it. This book is a cl ...more
Linda Root
Aug 12, 2013 Linda Root rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I am still having difficulties getting in synch with a protagonist who is a major crimes detective in love with a man who is in prison for the murder of a famous and indeed faultless movie actress, at least MacLeod writes her as being as discombobulated by it as I am. The new plots catches up after the first novel, and as one would expect, Anita Sundstrum has taken a serious dive in prestige and integrity after her questionable handling of story#1. While struggling with fall from grace and ...more
Linda Boa
Aug 18, 2015 Linda Boa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-blog
First admission: I didn’t have time to read Meet Me In Malmö, the first in the Anita Sundström series. Cleverly, MacLeod dripfeeds just enough into the storyline to make you feel that you must read the first in the series, even if, like me, you have to go back to it. Although the story’s repercussions are continued into Murder In Malmo, which sees Anita visiting a killer in prison and admitting to her therapist she is in love with him. I felt that the author, very cleverly, tempted me with just ...more
Victoria Goldman
Aug 05, 2015 Victoria Goldman rated it really liked it
Murder in Malmö is the second book in the Malmö series and is even better than the first.

In this gripping book, Inspector Anita Sundström is searching for stolen paintings, all painted by a once-fashionable artist who is back with a new exhibition. Thanks to her previous actions, Anita has been sidelined by her boss. Instead, it's her colleagues who get to investigate a series of high-profile murders. At the same time, a gunman is targeting immigrants in Malmö.

I really enjoyed this book. Anita
Lisa Hall
Jul 28, 2015 Lisa Hall rated it really liked it
The second instalment in the Anita Sundström series is another cracking read - I really like Anita, she's a bit feisty, doesn't need a fella hanging around and is completely happy to do her own thing. She doesn't come without her demons - being in love with a killer who's currently banged up behind bars doesn't do her any favours at work - but I like the way she thinks and operates.
This second novel focusses on issues surrounding racism which makes for uncomfortable reading at times. The opinio
Whitney
Jan 30, 2014 Whitney rated it liked it
I like this series and will stick with it for when I need a good mystery. Anything set in Sweden works for me! I go back and forth on what I think about the detective. In a lot of ways, she's pretty annoying - she is emotionally dependent on her teenage son and needs to let go. But the plots are good and I find myself rooting for her.
The Crime Scene Scene
Murder In Malmo is the second novel in the Inspector Anita Sundstrom series by author Torquil MacLeod. Still dealing with the after effects of the events with Ewan Sundstrom is sidelined from an investigation into the murder of a businessman and tasked to investigate a art theft alongside a new recruit. At the same time a gunman is roaming Malmo targeting immigrants and Sundstrom soon finds that there is a link between the cases.

This is a very different plot from the psychological twists and tur
Susan
Nov 16, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
The book opens with Malmö Inspector Anita Sundström on administrative leave and in therapy recounting the mistakes she made on her last case (Meet me in Malmö). When she returns to work, she is trusted only with the least significant case. Even though a gunman is randomly shooting immigrants and an important businessman has been murdered, she is assigned to trace a stolen painting. She also has to make time to meet with the Iraqi family of her new trainee to assure them that he is doing a good j ...more
Nyna
Nov 23, 2015 Nyna rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Following the completion of Meet Me in Malmo, I read it's sequel. Once again, I enjoyed recognizing places where the action took place. In fact, the locations were even very familiar to me. The book falls down everywhere else. Not only is the plot unbelievable, the main character has become stupid, unlikable and self-destructive. And I dislike books where the police investigator becomes the target of the evil criminal, his/her nemesis. But, despite the one-star review, I long to read the next bo ...more
george burns
Apr 23, 2015 george burns rated it it was amazing
Too Ambitious?

Crime is on the rise in Malmo. A gunman is randomly targeting immigrants, a business owner is murdered in a very strange way and art work is being stolen. Meanwhile, Inspector Sundstrom is having career problems. Trying to tie these plot lines together is a challenging proposition that the author does his best with, but there a bit too much left unexplained and it all relies too much on mental instability. Nevertheless, this book is a terrific, fast paced read. WARNING: this is the
Lili
Apr 02, 2014 Lili rated it liked it
This book a follow on from "Meet Me In Malmo" where Anita fell for a man who admitted to her he'd killed twice and was subsequently jailed for murder. Although the character of Inspector Anita Sundstrom created by the author is very likeable and the plot interesting we are still left with a scenario in her private life that seems so unbelievable and out of character; in fact it detracts from the overall plot. I quite enjoyed the read and will read the next as I am curious how the author will dea ...more
John
Jul 02, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I have a problem with his books, it is the abrupt ending after the climax of the storyline. The only way to deal with that is to start the next book in the series as they represent chapters in a longer storyline with characters entering and leaving (permanently) while Anita's life in the police and at home struggles between doing the right thing while many around her act less than honourably. DO READ THEM CHRONOLOGICALLY, as the three books do represent a continuous storyline.
Wanda
Aug 31, 2015 Wanda rated it liked it
Several different stories going on at the same time. The police are trying to solve several murders at the same time. There are thefts going on that are a bit misleading plus murders related to bigotry. The lead detective has to deal with personal problems dealing with being in love with a murderer, jealousy within the department plus trying to get back in the good graces of the police department. She has a new assistant that she has to train that who is from a foreign background and it shows he ...more
Tamera
Apr 20, 2014 Tamera rated it really liked it
Loved the plot twists and turns and at one point had no idea how all the different crimes were ever going to be wrapped up. I started with this book and not the first 'Meet me in Malmo' so really have a hard time coming to terms on how an experienced detective can be so hung up on a killer. The story reads like a travelogue on southern Sweden and makes me want to travel there (without the murders, of course)!
Leanne Harrington
Apr 01, 2016 Leanne Harrington rated it really liked it
McLeod, although not being Swedish, does a pretty good job with the Scandinavian mystery genre. The plot has depth, characters are human, and the answer isn't obvious halfway through, nor unbelievable/trite. It's a bit of a combo of mystery and police procedural.
Anna Guy
Sep 03, 2014 Anna Guy rated it really liked it
The second book in the series about female detective Anita Sundström.
I liked the first book and enjoyed this one too. She's a nice character and the story is slightly preictable but well put together. I will at some point ready no3, I'm sure.
James Scanlan
Dec 10, 2015 James Scanlan rated it it was amazing
Swedish mayhem

Very good second of a series. Anita fights her personal demons, and finds the way through a bewildering set of murders. Politics, Ww2, and madness create a witch's brew of dead ends for our inspector.
Susan
May 14, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
While the ending was a bit predictable and I have issues with the main character, I enjoyed the story and especially enjoyed the descriptions of the setting. An easy read -- not earth shattering but will definitely continue with the series.
Hal Zenner
Apr 24, 2014 Hal Zenner rated it really liked it
Good follow-up

Interesting story...better than first. have to say that the ending wasn't a surprise, but still well done. Will read the third in the series.
Becky
Jul 25, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Second in the series featuring detective Anita Sundstrom. Again, lots of story line that manage to converge -- or not. Enjoyable read, good plots, great characters.
Judith Mosconi
May 19, 2014 Judith Mosconi rated it it was amazing
I loved visiting Sweden through this book. It is dark and gritty as so many of the Scandinavian mysteries are, but story is compelling and ending is surprising.
Albana
Apr 28, 2015 Albana rated it liked it
Entertaining

It's a good book to read on the train. Sort of knew who had stolen the paintings the minute Karin was introduced.
Karen Lowe
Sep 05, 2014 Karen Lowe rated it liked it
Entertaining, and an intricate plot, tho I never bought into the 'love affair' with Ewan in the first book so that aspect didn't work for me.
Suzanne
Aug 22, 2015 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Another good book by Torquil MacLeod. Flawed police force with flawed female detective, close the case in the end.
Margareth8537
Mar 12, 2014 Margareth8537 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
The Anita Sundstom books have been an interesting read, with some good characterisation, and decriptions of Balmo
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong publication date 2 15 Jul 28, 2015 09:50PM
  • We Shall Inherit the Wind (Varg Veum)
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • Nightblind
  • Our Lady of the Streets (The Skyscraper Throne, #3)
  • A Crack in Everything (A Susan Callisto Mystery, #1)
  • The Ice Cage
  • The Echo (The Anomaly Quartet, #2)
  • The Mary Russell Companion
  • Tracer (Outer Earth #1)
  • The Fourth Sacrifice (China Thrillers, #2)
  • House of Evidence
  • Letters to a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6.5)
  • The Facts of Life and Death
  • The Two Sisters of Borneo (Ava Lee, #6)
  • Blind Goddess (Hanne Wilhelmsen #1)
  • Spare Me the Truth
  • Moon's Artifice (The Empire of a Hundred Houses, #1)
Torquil MacLeod was born in Edinburgh and brought up in the north east of England. After a brief spell as a teacher in Worcestershire, he worked in advertising agencies in Birmingham, Glasgow and Newcastle; since 2000 he has been a freelance writer.
More about Torquil MacLeod...

Inspector Anita Sundstrom (5 books)
  • Meet Me in Malmo (Inspector Anita Sundstrom #1)
  • Missing in Malmö (Inspector Anita Sundström #3)
  • Midnight In Malmö (Inspector Anita Sundstrom #4)
  • A Malmö Midwinter: An Inspector Anita Sundström Novella (Inspector Anita Sundstrom #5)

“He fancies himself as a collector. Really, he is a peasant.” 0 likes