Start by marking “Dragonflight / Dragonquest (Pern: Dragon Riders of Pern, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Dragonflight / Dragonquest (Pern: Dragon Riders of Pern, #1-2)

Dragonflight / Dragonquest (Pern (Chronological Order))

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,649 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Dragonflight and Dragonquest are the first two installments of McCaffrey's most popular series about the Dragonriders of Pern. In these epic fantasies, Lessa emerges from hiding after ten long Turns, ready to reclaim her brithright, impress the Dragon Queen, and eventually become Weyrwoman of Benden. As the deadly Threads begin to turn again, the bold dragonriders take to ...more
Audio, Abridged, 6 pages
Published October 10th 2002 by Fantastic Audio (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonflight / Dragonquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonflight / Dragonquest

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Twilight Collection by Stephenie MeyerThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisPercy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set by Rick Riordan
The Best Omnibuses and Box Sets
60th out of 398 books — 1,600 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Science Fiction Books by Female Authors
176th out of 1,216 books — 1,178 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel
Mar 15, 2013 Daniel rated it it was amazing
In Dragonquest, Anne MacCaffrey brings readers in to a wonderful, exciting, and fun-to-imagine world of men and dragons. It's a fairly quick read, and any one who read Dragonflight and liked it will love this book. It's a classic fantasy published in 1978, and it's one of the first dragon rider novels ever.

With a good mix of action, politics, and romance, Dragonquest is easily a page turner. There's a lot of characters, and readers get to know each one pretty well- and they're all different. Som
Tarah
Apr 26, 2010 Tarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The first book in this set is great! It's the entry to this series and is interesting and exciting. The second book is a huge "pass."

Dragonquest reads like a book of interconnected short stories with no clear transition between stories. This wouldn't normally be a problem but it's incredibly boring in parts, not offset by the few exciting or interesting stories. There's no clear main character, though there are important ones. We seem to be looking through a thick pane of old glass at those char
Mariah Tessin
Feb 05, 2012 Mariah Tessin rated it it was amazing
Just to set the record straight I have reread Anne McCaffrey's dragon books many many times. I loved them as a teenager and love them as an adult. My daughter has even read many of these books as well. If I would have never read these books I would have never known about dragons. McCaffrey's book have set the way I compare all other dragon books I have read. They may be good, but don't come close to the world of Pern.
Kristen Moger
Nov 26, 2014 Kristen Moger rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all fantasy/sci-fi fans especially girls
Recommended to Kristen by: Paul Seguin
Cannot say enough about the Pern series. I first read them when I was a teenager. My brother gave them to me and I fell in love with fantasy. In particular I love the range and diversity of characters. Each character is well developed and easy to get attached to. The world inspires the imagination and for me set me on the path of creating my own worlds and loving dragons. Anne McCaffrey is easily my greatest influence and the standard by which I judge all other books.
Nell Secor
Feb 03, 2016 Nell Secor rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
AND, White Dragon! It was "Dragonriders of Pern" edition. Science fiction, that is not overly technical, gory or romantic. It was a bit overwhelming keeping up with the numerous characters, occupations, their dragons/holds, etc. However, I loved getting to know Pern, the main characters, and the plot was believable and evolved well. I anticipate reading more books in the series!
Queenosiris
Jun 18, 2014 Queenosiris rated it really liked it
Have not read this book in forever, barely remember any of the details. That being said, I remember it being very good. If you're into dragons, you should read it at one point or another. That being said, after a second read-through years ago, I found myself not as captivated as I was the first time around. Furthermore, the rest of the series I read seemed to fall flat after this one.
Robert Enright
Sep 15, 2014 Robert Enright rated it it was amazing
read the large compiled book. thought it was going to be a hard read, as it was in hardback and approximately 2 1/2 inches thick. boy was I wrong. went back after the rest after that since I was hooked. awesome reading.
Sarah Penhollow
Jan 16, 2015 Sarah Penhollow rated it it was amazing
I had Ramoth & Ruth tattoos what does that say!!! I read every one of the P.E.R.N. novels and love them all!! I love how each trilogy's stories are woven together. Great read for young and old!
F Baker
Apr 14, 2015 F Baker rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anybody
I read this as a teenager and fell in love with the Pern universe and the amazing dragon lore described.
Laszlo
Mar 27, 2014 Laszlo rated it it was amazing
i read both of these books and this is the only book that i could find. BUT IT WAS AMAZING
Csoban
Sep 24, 2013 Csoban rated it really liked it
The Dragonriders of Pern books 1-3 is a great introduction to the series. These Dragonriders live on this planet called Pern with Dragons. Dragonriders impress Dragons at hatching and create a mental bond. The Dragonriders job is to protect their planet from Thread. Thread is a black silvery thing that falls presumably from the Red Star and sears everything it touches. Dragons eat firestone which turns into gas that they use to sear thread. The story faces many problems and twists and turns. I b ...more
Kristin Swenson
I read these as a kid and loved them. Returning as an adult, still great fun!
Robert Beatty
Dec 05, 2014 Robert Beatty rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading the entire Dragons of Pern series.
Marie
Aug 18, 2014 Marie rated it liked it
Okay, read this a long time ago. Mildly amusing.
Philip Carlson
Mar 22, 2014 Philip Carlson rated it it was amazing
takes you to a land you want to be part of.
Jimmacc
Jun 26, 2014 Jimmacc rated it really liked it
Fantastic story
Randy
Jul 17, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing
Once you pick up this book and open the cover, you will immediately be transported to the amazingly realistic world of Pern. The best way to enjoy the series though, is to get the prequel to the series. This book explains all the background into how the dragons and riders came into being and their roles .... I won't say more for fear of spoilers! just go out and get the WHOLE SET and be ready to fly on the wings of dragons.
Rhianna Marks
Dec 22, 2013 Rhianna Marks rated it liked it
I love the universe Anne McCaffrey created and I love that she wrote a billion books about Pern. Anyone who loves sci fi or fantasy should read this series. I won't lie, some of the points were a bit... skippy-over-ish... for me in terms of her writing style but it's still a solid piece of writing.
Gale Bailey
Oct 19, 2010 Gale Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! This is the first science fiction book I truly got into, so good I have read it a second time. This story is a great escape; you feel like you are riding along with the dragons and living on Pern!! And the dragons themselves are lovable! You will remember this story long after you've finished reading it!
Guillermo
Dec 20, 2013 Guillermo rated it really liked it
I really liked it. I read some opinions about Drangons of Pern being chauvinist. Well, that may be, but if you want to reflect real middle age social behaivor, I think it ought to be that way, isn't it?

Any way, good book from my personal point of view.
Joel
Jan 11, 2014 Joel rated it liked it
Classic, must read fantasy for any lover of the genre.
Joy H.
Apr 10, 2013 Joy H. marked it as keep-in-mind
Added 4/10/13
Mentioned by Jim of KY.*
Features mental telepathy.

* SEE GR DISCUSSION: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... - MESSAGE #3765
Elise Mullette
Aug 18, 2013 Elise Mullette rated it did not like it
I would not recommend this book! I love books with dragons, but the author did not do a very good job with it. The concept was intriguing, but the characters were under-developed, the plot under-explained and the point vague.
Katie
Jul 05, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-fiction
Oh it could have been so much more - the dragons were lovely, but the names with so many ' in them that I got fed up gargling with the names, and I got bored - where were the threads!?!

Won't be reading anymore.
Sue Herbert
May 11, 2011 Sue Herbert rated it really liked it
It's a long time since I read these but I loved them at the time. The story of an ordinary girl who discovers she has an extraordinary destiny, is much used but always enjoyable in the right hands. Great fun.
Kyra Dunst
Aug 16, 2013 Kyra Dunst rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite series, and one of two series that I keep a hard copy of on my bookshelves vs. on my Kindle. F'Lar and F'Nor are wonderful, brave men, and the Oldtimers cause them plenty of trouble.
Hadley
Dec 27, 2012 Hadley rated it it was amazing
I'm focusing on this book right now. I love it sooo much. It's a lot of fun because so many people have read or heard of it. It's definitely one of the best fantasy books I've read in a long time.
Rachel
Apr 29, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
These are the books that I read when I am sick in bed. They always manage to make me feel better. I equate them with comfort and home and always will. I learned to love stories with these books.
Kathy
Aug 11, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of the first fantasy books I ever read, I was hooked. I went from horses to dragons and have been there ever since. The Dragons of Pern novels are like old friends.
Paul Harry
Jul 17, 2012 Paul Harry rated it it was amazing
Read this years ago and it was great. If you haven't read this series, please do. You won't be disappointed.
Inconsistencies 2 24 Sep 19, 2012 05:37AM
Favorite Book or Author 3 9 Aug 22, 2012 02:28PM
Dragon riders of pern vs harry potter wich dragons ar better 1 4 Jan 20, 2012 03:10AM
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Barsoom: The Third Omnibus (Barsoom, #6-7)
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • Sword And Sorceress XVIII
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
  • Articles about Dragonriders Of Pern Books
  • Sanctuary (Thieves' World, #1-3)
  • TNT: Telzey Amberdon & Trigger Argee Together
  • Young Bleys (Childe Cycle, #10)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Pern (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • Dragon Harper (Pern, #20)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)