Start by marking “Dragonflight / Dragonquest (Pern: Dragon Riders of Pern, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Dragonflight / Dragonquest (Pern: Dragon Riders of Pern, #1-2)

Dragonflight / Dragonquest (Pern (Chronological Order))

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  7,107 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Dragonflight and Dragonquest are the first two installments of McCaffrey's most popular series about the Dragonriders of Pern. In these epic fantasies, Lessa emerges from hiding after ten long Turns, ready to reclaim her brithright, impress the Dragon Queen, and eventually become Weyrwoman of Benden. As the deadly Threads begin to turn again, the bold dragonriders take to ...more
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 6 pages
Published October 28th 2002 by Fantastic Audio (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonflight / Dragonquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonflight / Dragonquest

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Twilight Collection by Stephenie MeyerThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisPercy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set by Rick Riordan
The Best Omnibuses and Box Sets
60th out of 417 books — 1,552 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Science Fiction Books by Female Authors
185th out of 1,161 books — 1,005 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel
In Dragonquest, Anne MacCaffrey brings readers in to a wonderful, exciting, and fun-to-imagine world of men and dragons. It's a fairly quick read, and any one who read Dragonflight and liked it will love this book. It's a classic fantasy published in 1978, and it's one of the first dragon rider novels ever.

With a good mix of action, politics, and romance, Dragonquest is easily a page turner. There's a lot of characters, and readers get to know each one pretty well- and they're all different. Som
Tarah
The first book in this set is great! It's the entry to this series and is interesting and exciting. The second book is a huge "pass."

Dragonquest reads like a book of interconnected short stories with no clear transition between stories. This wouldn't normally be a problem but it's incredibly boring in parts, not offset by the few exciting or interesting stories. There's no clear main character, though there are important ones. We seem to be looking through a thick pane of old glass at those char
Mariah Tessin
Just to set the record straight I have reread Anne McCaffrey's dragon books many many times. I loved them as a teenager and love them as an adult. My daughter has even read many of these books as well. If I would have never read these books I would have never known about dragons. McCaffrey's book have set the way I compare all other dragon books I have read. They may be good, but don't come close to the world of Pern.
Kristen Moger
Nov 26, 2014 Kristen Moger rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all fantasy/sci-fi fans especially girls
Recommended to Kristen by: Paul Seguin
Cannot say enough about the Pern series. I first read them when I was a teenager. My brother gave them to me and I fell in love with fantasy. In particular I love the range and diversity of characters. Each character is well developed and easy to get attached to. The world inspires the imagination and for me set me on the path of creating my own worlds and loving dragons. Anne McCaffrey is easily my greatest influence and the standard by which I judge all other books.
Queenosiris
Have not read this book in forever, barely remember any of the details. That being said, I remember it being very good. If you're into dragons, you should read it at one point or another. That being said, after a second read-through years ago, I found myself not as captivated as I was the first time around. Furthermore, the rest of the series I read seemed to fall flat after this one.
Robert Enright
read the large compiled book. thought it was going to be a hard read, as it was in hardback and approximately 2 1/2 inches thick. boy was I wrong. went back after the rest after that since I was hooked. awesome reading.
Sarah Penhollow
I had Ramoth & Ruth tattoos what does that say!!! I read every one of the P.E.R.N. novels and love them all!! I love how each trilogy's stories are woven together. Great read for young and old!
F Baker
Apr 14, 2015 F Baker rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody
I read this as a teenager and fell in love with the Pern universe and the amazing dragon lore described.
Laszlo
i read both of these books and this is the only book that i could find. BUT IT WAS AMAZING
Csoban
The Dragonriders of Pern books 1-3 is a great introduction to the series. These Dragonriders live on this planet called Pern with Dragons. Dragonriders impress Dragons at hatching and create a mental bond. The Dragonriders job is to protect their planet from Thread. Thread is a black silvery thing that falls presumably from the Red Star and sears everything it touches. Dragons eat firestone which turns into gas that they use to sear thread. The story faces many problems and twists and turns. I b ...more
Kristin Swenson
I read these as a kid and loved them. Returning as an adult, still great fun!
Robert Beatty
I really enjoyed reading the entire Dragons of Pern series.
Marie
Okay, read this a long time ago. Mildly amusing.
Philip Carlson
takes you to a land you want to be part of.
Jimmacc
Fantastic story
Randy
Once you pick up this book and open the cover, you will immediately be transported to the amazingly realistic world of Pern. The best way to enjoy the series though, is to get the prequel to the series. This book explains all the background into how the dragons and riders came into being and their roles .... I won't say more for fear of spoilers! just go out and get the WHOLE SET and be ready to fly on the wings of dragons.
Rhianna Marks
I love the universe Anne McCaffrey created and I love that she wrote a billion books about Pern. Anyone who loves sci fi or fantasy should read this series. I won't lie, some of the points were a bit... skippy-over-ish... for me in terms of her writing style but it's still a solid piece of writing.
Gale Bailey
I love this book! This is the first science fiction book I truly got into, so good I have read it a second time. This story is a great escape; you feel like you are riding along with the dragons and living on Pern!! And the dragons themselves are lovable! You will remember this story long after you've finished reading it!
Guillermo
I really liked it. I read some opinions about Drangons of Pern being chauvinist. Well, that may be, but if you want to reflect real middle age social behaivor, I think it ought to be that way, isn't it?

Any way, good book from my personal point of view.
Joel
Classic, must read fantasy for any lover of the genre.
Joy H.
Apr 10, 2013 Joy H. marked it as keep-in-mind
Added 4/10/13
Mentioned by Jim of KY.*
Features mental telepathy.

* SEE GR DISCUSSION: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... - MESSAGE #3765
Elise Mullette
I would not recommend this book! I love books with dragons, but the author did not do a very good job with it. The concept was intriguing, but the characters were under-developed, the plot under-explained and the point vague.
Sue Herbert
It's a long time since I read these but I loved them at the time. The story of an ordinary girl who discovers she has an extraordinary destiny, is much used but always enjoyable in the right hands. Great fun.
Kyra Dunst
This is one of my favorite series, and one of two series that I keep a hard copy of on my bookshelves vs. on my Kindle. F'Lar and F'Nor are wonderful, brave men, and the Oldtimers cause them plenty of trouble.
Hadley
I'm focusing on this book right now. I love it sooo much. It's a lot of fun because so many people have read or heard of it. It's definitely one of the best fantasy books I've read in a long time.
Rachel
These are the books that I read when I am sick in bed. They always manage to make me feel better. I equate them with comfort and home and always will. I learned to love stories with these books.
Kathy
Some of the first fantasy books I ever read, I was hooked. I went from horses to dragons and have been there ever since. The Dragons of Pern novels are like old friends.
Paul Harry
Read this years ago and it was great. If you haven't read this series, please do. You won't be disappointed.
Brian Woods
Lessa and F'Lar will keep you reading, excited about the magical flying mounts that keep Pern Thread free.
Mindy Williams
Crazy that I'm reading this type of book, I know, but I really like it! I want a dragon! :)
Inconsistencies 2 24 Sep 19, 2012 05:37AM
Favorite Book or Author 3 9 Aug 22, 2012 02:28PM
Dragon riders of pern vs harry potter wich dragons ar better 1 4 Jan 20, 2012 03:10AM
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • Llana of Gathol and John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #10-11)
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
  • Sword and Sorceress VII
  • TNT: Telzey Amberdon & Trigger Argee Together
  • Articles about Dragonriders Of Pern Books
  • Sanctuary (Thieves' World, #1-3)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Pern (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • Dragon Harper (Pern, #20)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)