Start by marking “The Day Before 9/11” as Want to Read:

The Day Before 9/11

In Korea, a soldier's daughter is jetlagged and lost in her new school. In Germany, a military family welcomes the birth of a second child. In the aftermath of 9/11, both families - dads, moms, and kids - will fight the war on terror.

A harrowing true story that spans America's first decade post-9/11, The Day Before 9/11 portrays in riveting detail the sacrifices made by m
Published March 24th 2013 by Black Mesa Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Day Before 9/11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Before 9/11

Courtney
Feb 02, 2014 Courtney rated it it was amazing
There are just some people’s stories that need to be put into print . . . this is one of them.
There are just some books that need to be read . . . this is one of them.
9/11 is a day that none of us will never forget. It impacted each of us in different ways, and it will always be an emotional topic that is hard to read and write about.
The Day Before 9/11 is a memoir about an American teacher overseas teaching military children. He documents his experience with 9/11 and stories of military famil
Bart Hopkins
Apr 18, 2013 Bart Hopkins rated it it was amazing
Tucker Elliot

Sadly, many generations are marked by some tragedy that stains the fabric of our existence and leads good people to doubt, to question everything they thought they knew.

For most living Americans, our tragedy is 9/11, a common thread so profound that you can ask anyone where they were, or what they were doing, and without hesitation, they know the answer.

Tucker Elliot’s perspective is fresh, that of a teacher and coach, stationed overseas, educating the sons and
Kathy
Feb 25, 2014 Kathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
The story of a teacher at a military base in Germany, reliving 10 years earlier when he had been at a military base in Korea when the twin towers were attacked. Good portrayal of how families felt as the base was put on high alert and various members of families sent off to different places. I didn't like the fact that in the middle of the book, all the sudden things changed. I went back a few pages to see what I had missed. Nothing. All the sudden you were reading about totally different ...more
Bart Jr.
Jan 03, 2015 Bart Jr. rated it it was amazing
A moving and well-written book which draws our attention to the price of service we often don't pay enough attention to - that paid by the families of the men and women who serve in our military. An exploration of the debts we owe to each other as people and citizens, set in the shadows of the horrific events of 9/11. And lastly, and successfully, I think, an attempt to help mark some of them paid.
Barbara Ann
Apr 30, 2014 Barbara Ann rated it really liked it
Powerful, poignant and not soon forgotten! Elliot has done a masterful job of relating a true story of his sojourn as a sixth grade teacher in Department of Defense overseas military schools. At the beginning of the story, Elliot has just begun his position as teacher and head coach in a military school near Seoul, Korea. He is full of hope for his students, yet he is also strangely dour. The reader learns that his father fought in Viet Nam and his uncle died there. His teaching job is Elliot’s ...more
Tere Fredericks
This is by far the best book I've read so far this year. That's saying a lot, truly!

It deals with TWO different days before 9/11 -- current day, when the protagonist is teaching children who were barely alive on that day about what happened -- and the actual day before 9/11 -- where he was, what he was doing, what happened afterwards in his particular life and those around him.

Considering he was a teacher in Korea, teaching American children of US troops when this happened, it is a completely d
Ann
Jan 02, 2016 Ann rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
The writing was good and sustained my interest throughout. I knew little about the world of teaching in an overseas school for military dependents and enjoyed learning more, even with sense of foreboding introduced very early on. Of course the author of a "true" story cannot change actual events or even his own reactions to them; but he can decide how to interpret those events and present them to the reader. When I finished, I wondered what the author had hoped to accomplish beyond giving vent ...more
Leslie Callahan
May 24, 2014 Leslie Callahan rated it it was ok
I was able to finish this book so it gets higher then a 1 star...
I thought this book was more of a coping tool for the author to get over his mistakes and regrets. I thought he spent an unbearable time & great detail explaining his school and soccer matches in the 1st half of the book and then jumped around a lot in the second half where I had to re read a page or 2 to figure out who or what he was talking about.
I'll never understand why he never emailed Sami or why he would have deleted An
Peggy
Oct 09, 2015 Peggy rated it really liked it
To start with this the events of 9/11 are emotional for me as it is. This book had me up and down on emotions and shedding many tears. The author touched my heart with the works of his story. I had to remove myself from reading this several times not because of the book, not because of the way it was written but because of the story itself. I recommend this book, but I recommend on it on a warning that if you are extremely an emotional person that you take caution going in.

*Received for an hones
Andrew
Feb 11, 2014 Andrew rated it it was ok
A rambling account of post 9/11 events that will likely lose your interest after 50 pages.
Kathie
Oct 01, 2016 Kathie rated it it was ok
What the heck? I don't get it? What happened to Sami? I would give this book a 3 or 4 for being well written and its message and appreciation for teachers and military personnel but the timeline was so disjointed between Korea and two times in Germany and why he was so angry (I get the wishing he'd helped Angel part) but the rest was too implied and I just didn't get it. Frustrated at not being able to figure out what happened in the end.
Candy
Dec 28, 2013 Candy rated it really liked it
Wow. I read a lot of memoirs. There are sad ones, happy ones, memorable ones, ones with a moral... this book had all of that and more. When this came in from the author with a request for a review, my first thought was, "oh man, not another 9/11 book". I admit, that while 9/11 will live with us all forever, there has been a lot of books written on the subject and I thought I had pretty much read it all.

Until now.

This book touched me deeply. As the wife of a teacher, I can promise you that every
Zac Robinson
Oct 11, 2013 Zac Robinson rated it it was amazing
I posted this review on Amazon. It doesn't exactly have a happy ending, but wow is it moving:

This story is such a moving account of a teacher's life after 9/11. It delves into a world that many Americans don't even know exists. The author was a teacher for a Department of Defense school in Korea when terrorists attacked America. His resulting emotions and experiences are a roller coaster. It seems the hopes of his high school soccer season can provide healing for both he and his students, and i
Jaguar
Jan 28, 2015 Jaguar rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-kindle
This is my opinion of this book. I'm glad some people enjoyed it, but I didn't. I wouldn't recommend this book under any circumstances. I was hoping this book would be about the day before 9/11 like the title states. It kind of was, at first when I began reading this I thought it was okay. But Tucker was telling just a random story about three girls and it didn’t have ANYTHING to do with 9/11. There wasn’t even a mention of what happened on 9/11 except ONCE. And in that one time all Tucker said ...more
Cheryl Durham
Mar 02, 2014 Cheryl Durham rated it really liked it
I would gladly recommend this book. I remember where I was and how it affected me. I had neglected the impact that it had on the children...the children of Military families stateside and abroad.

What I loved most is the manner in which the teacher had to dig deep within himself and how he wanted if nothing else... To instill some normalcy to his students and in his world. The question to ask is: What is normalcy and can we ever go back to that state?

For me, many things have forever changed. If i
D.
Jan 29, 2014 D. rated it really liked it
This is a first hand account of one man's experiences after the 9/11 attacks. He was a teacher on an American base and taught the children of parents who were soon leaving for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. His particular viewpoint is what makes this book such a good book for Americans to read. While we were here in America wondering what was going on, just think what it was like for teachers, children, and military parents at military bases all over the world. This book will leave you aching ...more
Julie
Feb 15, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quite-enjoyed
How do you give a book on this subject anything but five stars? Very profound. The double edge of not caring, not being involved. Sure you don't let the bad things in, but you don't let the good in either. Yes it hurts, it hurts BECAUSE you care. You care too much. I feel bad for Tucker and Sami and of course Angel and Grace. For Sami's dad...the list goes on I'm sure. And the 3,000 other people who were innocent victims in the attacks. This story is obviously different from other accounts from ...more
LaDawn
Jun 25, 2014 LaDawn rated it liked it
A heart-wrenching book. The writing was well-done, and it was an easy story to read....until the end. Then it just....ended. No real sense of closure or even hope from the author. It was more like the book was just his therapy to help him deal with his pain and guilt. And, we didn't even get to read about the trip to Japan which seemed to be the main focus of his life in Korea. I did just discover that that story is told in his second book. What? Really? Ending the book with that story would ...more
Katy
Feb 25, 2014 Katy rated it it was amazing
"Pain is the harbinger of hope. You have to be alive to feel pain. If you are alive, then you have purpose. If you have purpose, then you have hope."

"I felt so much pride, so much love. you get a handful of days like this in a lifetime. Take in every minute. They'll be over soon enough, and you never know what tomorrow will bring."

“There are more good people than bad people, and overall there’s more that’s good in the world than there is that’s bad. We just need to hear about it, we just need to
Amy
Nov 13, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Raw, honest peek into the lives and interactions of teachers and military kids overseas, post 9/11. I appreciated the author's perceived guilt and questioning God, but hope that time will show him that, while terrible things happen to good people, God is not the Author or bearer of evil acts and He is not distant or deaf to our prayers. Time is a healer and places things into perspective. I look forward to reading more of Mr. Elliot's books.
Lisa
Feb 17, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This is a must read book. I found this book by absolute chance and I am so glad I did. The day before 9/11 tells a true story about a man's actions, the day before 9/11 and in the days, months and years to follow. It is moving, heartbreaking and deeply emotive.
I really hope that Sami reads this one say, and that she and the author manage to reconnect one day. It would be a lovely outcome after the tragic circumstances.
Patty
Jul 14, 2014 Patty rated it really liked it
This non-fiction book is the first I've read about 9/11. The point of view was interesting. Written by a teacher at a military base in Korea when 9/11 occurred, he reveals his feelings about the event and of the children he taught. Children of military parents, they wrestled with a parent or parents coming into and out of their lives as they are sent to Iraq, return and are sent again.
Bryna Messmer
Mar 26, 2014 Bryna Messmer rated it liked it
This book was a bit hard to get into because of the military "lingo", but it was very well written. It was a great look into how 9/11 effected those of us not in the USA. I must say, that I expected the book to be a hard hit from the beginning because of its subject matter, but it was not too emotional. However, the end KILLED ME! Grab the tissues if you decide to read this one!!!!
Deb
Jun 01, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it
This story made me think of a side of 9/11 that I hadn't considered before. I cried for several parts of the story. I was a bit upset with the author for not paying more attention to his students, even though he had said he'd be there for them. And I would have liked to know more about what happened between him and Sami. Overall, a compelling read that left me wanting more.
Jean Marie
Jan 25, 2014 Jean Marie rated it liked it
I usually avoid books on this topic. However, I felt the desire to read this one. I am glad I did. I never thought about 9/11 through the eyes of military children or the teachers who had to work around the emotional needs of these children.
Lauren Beauchamp
Dec 23, 2013 Lauren Beauchamp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I cried at the end. And I never cry. So terribly sad. Just wanted to reach through the book and hug the author. Though the ending is miserable, that is life. While there may not be closure, there is still meaning in the pain.
Martha
Feb 08, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it
Wow! What a perspective! Definitely worth picking up and really easy to finish.

Hoping to read another book of his that might provide a bit more detail about what it was like after 9/11 than this book did.
Dahlia Mikha
Mar 07, 2015 Dahlia Mikha rated it it was amazing
When you think of 9/11, you don't really think of Korea. But this book delicately reminds us of how such a tragedy impacts the world. It was an eye opening account of one man's selfless journey in Korea. I couldn't stop turning the pages, and I wanted more :)
Napturalbeauty
Aug 21, 2014 Napturalbeauty rated it it was amazing
Powerful, touching, moving, magnificent story. This is definitely something that I want my daughters to read when they are a little older. One of the best stories written.
Amanda Wagg
Jan 23, 2014 Amanda Wagg rated it it was amazing
such an amazing book. I would recommend this book to everyone. the story hit close to home as I am a military spouse. amazing is all I can say. I really enjoyed this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Day Before 9/11
  • The Wolf's Lair: Inside Hitler's Germany
  • The Lost Journal (Secret Apocalypse)
  • Trash to Treasure
  • The 9th Fortress
  • A Mother's Trial
  • Necropolis (The Shadow Wars, #1)
  • An Inconvenient Year
  • When His Dreams Take Flight
  • Believe (Rules, #1)
  • Pope John XXIII: The Good Pope
  • Remembering Judith
  • Plunge: Crafting the Uncommon Midlife
  • My Honor Flight
  • Rain Dance
  • Ashes, Ashes (Shadows in the Nursery, #3)
  • Memoirs of an Outlaw: Life in the Sandbox
  • From Muhammed to Burj Khalifa: A Crash Course in 2,000 Years of Middle East History
Tucker Elliot is a former teacher for the United States Department of Defense in Korea and Germany. He has visited schools on four continents and more than twenty countries as a volunteer or an invited speaker/lecturer.

Tucker was a teacher on a military base in Korea on 9/11. His memoir titled The Day Before 9/11 was released in March 2013. The Day Before 9/11 is a harrowing true story that spans
More about Tucker Elliot...

“I felt so much pride, so much love. You get a handful of days like this in a lifetime. Take in every minute. They’ll be over soon enough, and you never know what tomorrow will bring.” 8 likes
“All my life my dad felt this need to protect his kids from a war he fought, a war I believed could never reach out and touch us, could never hurt us—and yet he fed us lies with his answers, shielding us from the truth about what he did there, about what he saw, about who he was before the war, and about what he became because of it. He lied to protect us from his memories, from his nightmares. Standing with my dad at The Wall, I knew the truth—no one could know so many names engraved in granite if he 'never was in danger.” 7 likes