Start by marking “The Houseguest: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary” as Want to Read:
The Houseguest: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary

The Houseguest: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  25 reviews
When Georgiana Darcy comes to Netherfield to visit her brother, she becomes friends with a neighbor, Elizabeth Bennet. After Miss Darcy has returned to London, she invites her new friend to stay with her at the Darcy home in town ... unbeknownst to Mr. Darcy.

Will this change in circumstances lead to a change in affections?
Published March 17th 2013

To ask other readers questions about The Houseguest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Houseguest

Soph
What a wonderful story! It really was a lot of fun and my favourite scenes were between Darcy and Lizzy (surprise surprise!) when she was 'The Houseguest' at their home in London. Seeing how their relationship built up, developed and changed from the first meetings at Meryton (which, lets face it, didn't go well for Darcy!) was very sweet.

It was clever how certain scenes and conversations seen in the original were included in different contexts and between different characters ('You insolent bo...more
Marleah
I really liked this P&P variation. The focus was on D& E and the progression of their relationship without all the angst and drama. Okay, there was a little drama. You get to see Elizabeth fall in love with Darcy. And it doesn't happen quickly. There is confusion and misunderstanding (of course!) There is very little of the Bennet's, Wickham, Bingley/Jane and other secondary characters. This story focuses on the relationship of D & E and between Elizabeth and Georgiana. There are som...more
Sue
I loved this book. I think it was very well put together. The descriptions of items, events, scenery, scenes was great. The plot was easy to follow. I loved how full Georgiana's personality became. I hope to read this book again.
Warmisunqu Austen

-------------------| Blog | Facebook | Twitter |-------------------

4.5 Austen.

Empecé la historia un poco por curiosidad, porque aún no tenía planeada leerla, la estaba dejando para más adelante, pero inicié una exploración y la verdad que no pude dejarla hasta que la terminé.

Una variación que disfruté mucho por su desarrollo ecuánime, la forma en que la autora desglosa los hechos sin forzarlos y siendo muy bien hilvanados. Hace pequeñas estampas entre dos o tres personajes y su entorno al descri...more
Louise Sparrow
I’ve been reading several Pride and Prejudice variations lately and most of them have fallen short. This one however, whilst there are places where the dialogue becomes a little dubious or it perhaps pushes the line too far, is very enjoyable, not too far out of character and in general a fun read.

It is based on the idea that Georgiana visits with her brother whilst he is still at Netherfield and she and Elisabeth become friends. Lizzy is then invited to London to stay with the Darcys and the re...more
Ishie
As a huge fan of P&P, I loved the quick pace, loyalty to character temperaments, and fun new avenues The Houseguest explored. Great, easy read.
Katherine
Loved this story line! What if Georgiana had come to Netherfield and developed a friendship with Elizabeth. And what if when Bingley and Darcy leave Netherfield (Darcy playing a part in driving Bingley away from Jane) Georgiana invites Elizabeth to say with her in her London home and then Darcy comes early and spends time with Elizabeth? Will he still fight against his desire for Elizabeth! What if Darcy actually had competition for Elizabeth's heart? Will Elizabeth still think Darcy proud? What...more
Susan
A Pride and Prejudice variation where Georgiana Darcy visits her brother while he is staying at Netherfield Park with the Bingleys. Here she is introduced to Elizabeth Bennet and without her brother's knowledge invites her to stay at Darcy House while Darcy is away. Soon he returns home unexpectedly early...
A very enjoyable read.
Sabin Morris
One of the best

I have just recently begun reading P and P variations, and this one is one of the best I've come across. I could not put it down.
玉梅 石
I have read P&P over and over again. I am a great admirer of JA. In my heart I believe that Elizabeth Adams' imitation is born of similar feelings. Anything I didn't like about her book was far outweighed by everything I did. Although I would not say that JA herself would not read it without an occasional blush, considering the contemporary audience for which it was written it adheres to a standard of speech and conduct that is unbelievably close to the one adhered to in P&P. For parents...more
Diane
I really enjoyed the writing in this book. I had never read this author before but will try anything Pride and Prejudice related. All the characters were true to Jane Austen's writing. So fun! I anticipated the ending but still looked forward to it.

For a light, happy fun P&P book, be sure to add this to your "to read" list.
Kelly
Entertaining and fun.
Heidi
If you love Pride and Prejudice, then this is a fairly good modern rewrite of the original. Some lines reminded me of the look and feel of the Kiera Knightly movie I have watched a hundred times, so I rolled my eyes a little. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed the new twists the author threw in admist the familliarity of the original background. This one is well worth taking a good look at.
Deb
A sweet P&P variation. In this one Elizabeth and Georgiana meet and become friends, growing even more close when she invites Elizabeth to stay at the Darcy's London house without telling her brother. When Darcy returns early and finds Elizabeth there, the road to romance comes with its usual misunderstandings. ;-) I liked the different paths this one took to a satisfying ending.
Leslie
I liked this book. Perhaps if I hadn't read it between two books I loved I would have appreciated it more.

In this case Lizzie was a little to obstinate to accept that just maybe, a little bit, Darcy liked her. I found the actions of Lady Matlock a bit absurd. But this new and improved Georgiana is wonderful. The parts of Lizzie and Georgiana becoming friends are fun.
Maggie
While there were a few awkward and difficult-to-believe moments, I found it to be a very sweet story and I loved the Darcy/Elizabeth relationship in this novel. I also liked that, singular for a novel of this kind, there was hardly any vulgarity between Elizabeth and Darcy after they established a romance.
Tamra
Love this P&P variation! It is a fun, easy read with scenes that will have you grinning ear to ear. A few unbelievable events like Georgianna going to Netherfield while Wickham is in Hertfordshire but the good far outweighs those rare moments. Definitely 4.75 stars!
Wendy Knight
As I am not a Jane Austen / P&P fanatic, I can't really speak to that aspect of the book. It was well written and captivating with an excellent storyline, and I had a hard time putting the book down.
I enjoyed this book very much. It is a refreshing variation on P&P. Great read!
Elmo
3.5 stars. I would have given more stars if the second half had been as good as the first half.
Kimberly
Overall, quite a good book. Very well written - something I wish more self-published, Austen-inspired novels aspired to.

I look forward to reading more from this author.
Pam M
I loved this but it went from 5 to 4.5 because of the length..at times it was bit tedious but not often enough that it hurt the flow of the story.
Kelley
I really liked this P&P variation. Without spoilers, liked the adaptations to Wickham and Lizzy's sisters. Looking forward to more!
Lynne
A lot better than some of the Jane Austen alternative stories.
Christiann
Pretty good Pride and Prejudice spinoff book.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Alyssa Carlson-romero
Alyssa Carlson-romero marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Madam 90210: My Life as Madam to the Rich and Famous A Book By Its Cover (Secrets of Mary's Bookshop, # 6) Between The Lines (Secrets of Mary's Bookshop) Cover Story (Secrets of Mary's Bookshop) The Houseguest a Pride and Prejudice Vagary