Better Than My Dreams: Finding What You Long for Where You Might Not Think to Look

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The story of everywoman's emotional and spiritual journey, helping her release stored up false hopes and preconceived notions by replacing them with the wonderful reality God is weaving into her life.

Every morning we face the day with a set of expectations about how things will or should be. Author Paula Rinehart says, "The oddest part about our mental images is that we do...more
Published October 16th 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

Cindy
I have read every one of her books--she talks about how God offers a different sort of wonderful than the one we had in mind. Her books transform me...
Kristin
Jun 30, 2008 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all women
Shelves: christian-living
This book was really good! I checked it out of the Jax library and I would like to buy this book so that I can re-read it and write in it. :) It would also be a good book to read and discuss with other women. There is a reflection and study guide in the back.

Some of the book reminded me of recent things I've heard from Beth Moore on getting out of the pit, on loving well and knowing/embracing God's love for me.

Some favorite quotes:
It takes faith to believe that if God says no to a good dream...i...more
Groups
Oct 21, 2010 Groups is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: needs-2nd-review
Per Gina Robertson:

Deals with disappointment & difficulties of life. Finding a closer relationship with Christ through this and learning to trust in God's love for you. Experience great joy when we discover where our deep gladness and the world's deep needs are met.

Can be fairly deep and slight counseling orientation.

10 weeks, 45 minutes per week
book with questions
shelves: intimacy with God
Kari
A great book about how life isn't always as you expect it to be. One quote, "...it's a lifelong challenge to live with a heart that remains open to God and alive to possibility - even in the face of disappointment. Yet a hopeful heart is absolutely vital to experiencing the richness and the wonder of the journey God has for you."
RF
Paula spoke this book at one of our summer women's gatherings - it led to some amazing conversations.

This book is ideal for people who are dealing with disillusionment- aka, life not working out at all as we expect...

Her book "Strong Women, Soft Hearts" made an impact on me in early twenties.
Love Paula Rhinehart's sincerity and wisdom. She clears knows God and has so much to offer to women with her deep insight and wealth of personal and professional experience. Some of the insights in this book were life-changing and powerfully encouraging. Highly recommend.
Laura Lou
Aug 20, 2008 Laura Lou rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Husseyhousehold
Recommended to Laura Lou by: Alleyn (and Howard) Cole
An easy, day-trip kind of book with enough yeses and ah-has in womanly communion to make me want to read her other spiritually-inspiring works. It's not fine literature, but tasty enough for snacking fun.
Shannon
Stop focusing on the vague idea of where you think you're going / what you deserve from life. Find where your great joy meets the great need of the world.

Kathy
Dec 07, 2012 Kathy added it

It is my second time reading this book- this time with a good friend- such beautiful wisdom!
Christine
This is such a great book that literally met my heart in a difficult season of life.
Lauren
I'm reading this book for the second time. Great perspective on life's disappointments.
Amy
tremendous emphasis on self instead of God - not my favorite Bible study...
Beth
A wonderful exploration of what's really important in life.
Amy
One of those "life-changing" books. So many profound thoughts!
Leighton Pauly
good book!
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Linette
Linette marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Aria
Aria added it
May 12, 2014
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
May 08, 2014
Josephine M
Josephine M marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Strickland
Strickland marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Simona
Simona added it
Apr 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Strong Women, Soft Hearts: A Woman's Guide to Cultivating a Wise Heart and a Passionate Life Sex and the Soul of a Woman: The Reality of Love and Romance in an Age of Casual Sex What's He Really Thinking?: How to Be a Relational Genius with the Man in Your Life Choices: Finding God's Way in Dating, Sex, Marriage, and Singleness Starting Strong