Start by marking “A Change of Plans (Safe Harbors, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Change of Plans (Safe Harbors, #1)

A Change of Plans (Safe Harbors #1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  189 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
When twenty-five-year-old Lyn sets off on her cruise vacation, all she wants is to forget that her dead fiancé was a cheating scumbag. What she plans is a diversion uncomplicated by romance. What she gets is Braedon, an intriguing young surgeon. He's everything her fiancé wasn't, and against the backdrop of the ship's make-believe world, her emotions come alive.
Unaware of
Paperback, First, 326 pages
Published June 1st 2013 by Rhemalda Publishing (first published May 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Change of Plans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Change of Plans

The Elite by Kiera CassA Change of Plans by Donna K. WeaverClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonFeudlings by Wendy  Knight
Covers That Pop For 2013
2nd out of 148 books — 223 voters
Court of the Hawk by Debbie  PetersonA Change of Plans by Donna K. WeaverMore Than Scars by Sarah BrociousEdenbrooke by Julianne DonaldsonKissing Kendall by Jennifer Shirk
Clean Romance Contemporary
2nd out of 392 books — 332 voters

More lists with this book...

Donna Weaver
Feb 23, 2016 Donna Weaver rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is weird for me to be writing this since I'm the author. What I'm reviewing is the audiobook. I'm a huge audiobook lover, and I'm picky about narrators.

As authors, we create this world in our minds. We know how we think each of the characters are saying things, the emphasis they give.

I've heard many other authors say they hate hearing their books in an audiobook. So, it was with some trepidation that I started listening to Karen Kruper's interpretation of MY characters.

It was such a relief
Meredith Mansfield
Mar 26, 2013 Meredith Mansfield rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down, even when it made me cry. Not very many books make me cry, but this one did.

Terrific.
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
A Change Of Plans is a remarkable story of love, loss, and survival. It is about healing when the past hurts you and you have no where to go and nothing to do. It is about taking chances on new loves and allowing someone in when there is so much pain and hurt. What do you do when your heart has been broken by the one person you trusted? How do you heal from a betrayal like that?

Lyn is going on a cruise to try and forget her past. She wants to have a great time and make new memories that will not
❀ Crystal ✿ -
May 30, 2013 ❀ Crystal ✿ - rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-read-list, arc-s
*ARC received from author in exchange for an honest review*
For most of the book I was engaged and interested and really enjoying everything. However, after awhile the time each time jump left me feeling off kilter and separated from the story. I still loved it I guess I just wish there was more... I understand with everything that happens it’s inevitable to showcase a long time in any other way but for me, the transition was not as smooth as I would have liked. I think honestly, I would have lik
Tasha Seegmiller
May 30, 2013 Tasha Seegmiller rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
This is a sweet story about opening up a heart after it has been betrayed, plus some cruise line luxury, a little pirate adventure, and a story that reminded me of Swiss Family Robinson. It is a quick read, but your heart will be a little happier at the end.
Lindzee Armstrong
May 20, 2013 Lindzee Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This book was on my "to-read" list for a while, and I was lucky enough to get an ARC copy.

There were so many things I loved about the book, but one of the things I really appreciated is the author's attention to detail. I really became immersed in the various settings. I felt like I was on the cruise ship. I felt like I was on the various islands. I felt in the story. I also appreciated the detail the author gave to characters; Lyn's hair got icky and Braedon didn't always smell nice. It's thos
Wendy Knight
May 23, 2013 Wendy Knight rated it it was amazing
Let me start off by saying I am a fantasy girl. Contemporary romance isn't my genre, but a few sentences in and I was hooked. I loved it.

There is a lot of emotion in this book - pain, healing, hope, despair. I don't cry, hardly ever, but I was bawling through a lot of this. The main character, Lyn, is hurting after her fiance broke her heart -- after death, so she never even got any closure. Braedon is adorable, and they have a connection right off that left me swooning. But she pushes him away.
Cas Peace
Jul 12, 2013 Cas Peace rated it it was amazing
A Change of Plans is one of those books that grabs you by the heart and doesn't let go. Ms Weaver gets right into the mind of her characters so you feel you are living and breathing their lives. This book has everything - romance, adventure, tenderness, hope, heartbreak, loss, and deep, abiding love. It's a rollercoaster ride that you won't want to end. I really hope there's a sequel!
Suey
May 20, 2013 Suey rated it really liked it
What an adventure! Part cruise romance, part survival story. I totally enjoyed it.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Jun 15, 2013 Aimee (Getting Your Read On) rated it really liked it
This review just goes to show you what a good blog tour can do. I saw this book all over the blogs for a blog tour and I read lots of great reviews for it so I decided to buy it. I was a little ahead in my review reading and decided to take a few days to read some books that were in my "feel good zone". This is one I decided to read because I always head to clean romance when I want to escape.

Ummm Hummm. There was some good tension and build up. Good romance. I love how the story unfolded and be
Mindy
Jan 03, 2015 Mindy rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was brilliant. I loved it. I also loved how Donna threw some of my favorite movie references in it. Especially Hobbits. But, I didn't love the book just for those reasons.

I really didn't know what to expect when I was reading A Change of Plans, but immediately I was drawn to the cover, and while reading, what was inside it. This book has everything a reader could ask for. Romance, humor, suspense, love, hope, strong, likeable characters, and a great fast-paced plot that will
S.A. Larsen
Jun 05, 2013 S.A. Larsen rated it it was amazing
Recommended to S.A. by: I would like to thank the author for providing me with a copy of this book for an unbiased review.
"Wind-swept tale of past pains and longing forced to change by unforseen dangers. The main characters, Lyn & Braedon, add heart and soul with their moving glances and silent embraces."

From the moment these two meet, it's obvious attraction has struck them both. Braedon is curious and treads lightly. Lyn constantly tries to talk herself out of her budding preoccupation with Braedon. Weaver does a wonderful job laying down a solid foundation from the start, keeping their dialog real and approp
Heidi
Dec 12, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing
This was a rollicking book and I enjoyed it greatly. It was well-written and entertaining. I would love to have read this one at the beach this summer.

I wish I could say that when I was on my own cruise ship I would have welcomed the embraces of a hunk such as Braedon, but I was only four. For me, just keeping dinner from erupting all down the side of the ship would have been agreeable. But for school teacher, Lyn North, Braedon Randolph would figure large in both her cruise and her life.

Despite
Adrienne Monson
Jun 26, 2013 Adrienne Monson rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I read a summary of this book before I bought it (who doesn't?), so I knew that the main characters get stranded on an island. Besides that, I knew to expect romance.
When you first start the book, it reads like a regular contemporary romance. It isn't until a fourth of the way into it that some action begins. Then, when you're 3/4 through, it starts to drag and you really don't know where the story is going. Basically, it doesn't have a regular story arc and reads more like a memoir. I'll admit
Katherine Cowley
Oct 05, 2014 Katherine Cowley rated it it was amazing
A Change of Plans is not an ordinary romance that takes place on a cruise ship—after all, in addition to normal cruise fare (sightseeing, formal dinners, and the like) it includes sharks, pirates, and a shipwreck. First and foremost, the book is a beautiful romance between a woman who has been hurt to the point of breaking and a man who wants to help her pick up the pieces of her life and put them back together. The book is filled with breathtaking scenes of romance and action-adventure, but it ...more
Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation
3.5

I saw another review on Amazon label this as “Love Boat meets Pirates of the Caribbean meets Castaway meets Blue Lagoon meets Man vs. Wild” and thought that was pretty accurate. The overall story was a lot of fun, totally unique from anything I’ve read before. I appreciate the change and at times was totally sucked into the story. At other times I thought the execution fell a little flat. Some of the dialog and behavior seemed unrealistic.

The book opens with two best friends going on a cruis
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Lyn and her best friend Elle take a cruise as the year anniversary of Lyn's finacees death and betrayal approach. Lyn is not interested in romance...period. She is still stunned and suffering from trust issues.

Enter the dashing Doctor. Braedon gives her that sparkly, tingly feeling with just a touch. She is afraid of a fairy tale and shipboard romance and runs. Unfortunately (fortunately in my opinion) you can't run far on a ship.

A run in with pirates and being stranded on an uninhabited island
Lisa
Mar 03, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book out of order. I think I would have liked to have read this one first - but it didn't really change how much I loved the book! Both of them! I am a fan of Donna! Great writing and I really love a good ship wreck...well catamaran wreck - although I am glad I read this after my trip to VI and our awesome Cruise on a catamaran. Loved this story!
Margaret Larsen Turley
Jun 10, 2013 Margaret Larsen Turley rated it it was amazing
Donna K. Weaver begins her book: A Change of Plans in a very conversational tone as if the reader was at a sleep-over with your best friend. The story quickly ratchets up several notches and kept me turning pages through the night. This is sweet romantic suspense at it’s best – a Romantic Shipwreck Story more exciting than Cast-a-Way with Tom Hanks.
Amy
Jun 20, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
A Change Of Plans is a phenomenal story of love, loss, and survival. Donna Weaver takes you on a journey you will not likely forget any time soon.
Terri
Dec 20, 2014 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was urged to read this debut novel, A Change of Plans, Safe Harbors #1, I thought it would be just another book I would have to force myself to finish, so put off reading it for a couple of months. Earlier this week, I finally decided to just read it and be done with it, so took my trusty Kindle and went to bed thinking the book would just put me to sleep. I have to admit, I was totally wrong! After reading just the first chapter, I became so engrossed in this novel that I had to make mys ...more
Katelyn (Tales of Books and Bands)
A Change of Plans by Donna K. Weaver was certainly a sweet love story that managed to keep me on the edge of my seat with moments of terror and distress. Despite the terrifying things the two main characters went through, this book left me with a smile on my face.

The story starts off with Lyn and her best friend going on a cruise. On the ship Lyn meets several quirky, fun people who remind her to be more open, something she has struggled with since the passing of her fiance. Among those people i
Blushing Reader
Jun 02, 2013 Blushing Reader rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
Star Rating: 4 out of 5

Heat Rating: Tame

A Change of Plans was definitely a book that took me by surprise! I love it when you read a book expecting one thing to happen and then the author takes you on a completely different path to an unexpected story. Honestly, I picked this story up planning to read just a bit, but once I began reading I became so wrapped up in the story of Lyn and Braedon that I didn't come up for air until it was all over.

Again, this a story that can't be spoiled, but I will
Roseanne Wilkins
May 05, 2016 Roseanne Wilkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean-romance
I was given a copy in exchange for an honest review. I thought the narrator did a fantastic job, and it was easy to tell who was speaking. At first, this felt like a sweet romance, which I don’t really like, but it soon turned to a much more exciting read. There were a lot of twists and turns that I didn’t expect, and I loved the happily-ever-after ending. I’m looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Rebekah
Jun 03, 2013 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of the book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

I am not much of a romance reader but I know Donna K. Weaver can write and I wanted to give it a try. Let me tell you that she blew my socks off! Seriously!

If you want some romance, adventure, humor, love and so much more you need to buy this book right now! The writing was clever and wonderfully detailed. I felt like I was on the island, on the boat, etc. I cared for all of the main characters in the end.

Make sur
Valerie Steimle
Aug 23, 2013 Valerie Steimle rated it it was amazing
Finished this gem of a story in a few days with my busy schedule. Such a great read and kept my attention the whole time.
This story grabs your attention right from the start with the two main characters getting on a cruise ship to share in a great vacation. One woman--the partier--wants to be involved in all the gatherings during their time at sea. The other woman--more subdued and quiet-- wants a peaceful, quiet vacation to get away from a dark time of her life the year before.

Both these women
Konstanz Silverbow
Jun 04, 2013 Konstanz Silverbow rated it really liked it
This book is fantastic!! I was so worried when I began reading because first of all, I am not a fan of New Adult. Mostly because of the content it is known for. But Donna spins a wonderful tale that's completely lovable!!!!

The characters are amazing. Oh my goodness, the characters! I could say SO much but I truly don't want to spoil this book for you. It is too good to do that!

The writing is amazing, every scene is so beautifully written. I felt like I was on a cruise, I felt that sand between m
Morgan Shamy
Jun 09, 2013 Morgan Shamy rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. At first, I thought it was going to be your typical romance novel, but it was so much more! Talk about action and adventure. Being the critical reader I am, I kept expecting things, but the novel was always one step ahead of me, surprising me with twists I didn’t see coming. I completely fell in love with Braeden and Lyn (and Jori! Woot!) and already, I miss them. I got a good sense of who each character was and where they came from. I also found myself reading in the car (whi ...more
Erna
Jul 21, 2013 Erna rated it it was amazing
Well, I've got to admit that I hardly read romance novels but some friends of mine recommended it to me so in the end, I gave in to their constant whining and gave it a shot. Truth be told: I don't regret reading it. Not in the slightest.

From the moment I started reading A Change of Plans I've hard a hard time to put it down again. The storyline is incredibly well crafted and captivating, there is strong character development, intriguing interaction, and clever dialogue ... things I normally do
Shantal
Jun 18, 2013 Shantal rated it really liked it
What a perfect summer beach read. This was a taut story with crisp writing and many twists and turns towards the end. I enjoyed watching the main characters develop, especially Lyn. She was so devastated by a previous relationship that she didn't know how to live her life enjoyably at all. She really held back. Through a series of very challenging circumstances, she did learn to live life to the fullest. I won't mention spoilers here except PIRATES!;) The fairytale ending was sweet and quite une ...more
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: European Collection
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Autumn Collection
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Spring Vacation Collection
  • I, Spy (Spy Another Day, #1)
  • Always Will
  • The Alias
  • Plain Jayne
  • Truth or Dare
  • The Bargain
  • Descendant (Descendant, #1)
Author of adventure romance series Safe Harbors (A Change of Plans, Book #1; Hope's Watch Short Story, #1.5; Torn Canvas, Book #2; and A Season of Change, #2.5) & Ripple Effect Romance Novella #5, Second Chances 101.

Wife-mother-grandmother-Army veteran-karate black belt-Harry Potter nerd-online gamer girl.
More about Donna K. Weaver...

Safe Harbors (2 books)