Start by marking “A Note of Scandal” as Want to Read:
A Note of Scandal

A Note of Scandal

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A desperate composer tricks a principled newspaper publisher into printing a false story, and then falls for him. How can she prove that she’s worth a second chance?
--A 2013 RomCon Readers' Choice Finalist--
Paperback, Trade paperback, 342 pages
Published March 25th 2013 by Evernight Publisher (first published May 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Note of Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Note of Scandal

Sheila
Combine Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe novels with Jane Austen, add a touch of Dickens and a modern sex scene, then you’ll have the flavor of Nicky Penttila’s Note of Scandal. The notes and scandals are far from predictable, and the writing’s smooth and intelligent. Well-researched historical details add depth to plot and character, from the technology of the printing press to financial constraints on rich and poor, the poverty of returning soldiers and the ethically strained laws of politics in the ...more
Tina "coffee and books"
A Note of Scandal by Nicky Penttila is not my typical read. Historical romances always leave me feeling like something was missing. I did not get that feeling with this book, at all. This book made me feel. The heroine made me mad in so many places, although that may be annoying to some people, I love it. Anytime I can get into a book enough to truly want to shake a character it’s a victory.

I listened to this book in audio format. Michelle Ford did a very good job at narrating this book. There w
Aimee
Olivia Delancey is a thinking woman living in a man’s world, a world that has no room for female intelligence and where her own parents have no room in their hearts (or purses) for her. When she composes music that she is especially proud of, an inspiring march, she has no one to share it with except her old music teacher, Martin Purdy, who is off fighting against the French. When he returns a broken man, wounded, and unable to marry Olivia’s friend because of his pennilessness, Olivia sets in a ...more
gillian (Tattooed Book Review)
Visit www.tattooedbookreview.com for this review and more!

A lovely, thoughtful, and entertaining regency romance.

There’s just something I love about a historical romance of this type. It’s sweet, there is very little sex and it’s not graphic at all. However, I always enjoy being reminded of a bygone era, in which simply flashing a bit of ankle was incredibly sexy. When a touch, caress, or kiss, or a single lady being in a man’s residence without a chaperone was dangerously scandalous. Somehow, i
mel
I received this from netgalley and was pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't sure if I would like a historical romance but this was a tender and sweet read. I did not like her friend Merry and how she felt that she was entitled to have everything her way.

I loved how this book portrayed that woman even in this era wanted to be independent and strong and could be. Society woman could be and if they found the right man to support them would shine and grow. And Miss Delancey did. She found a newspaper man
Long Ago Love
Set in post-Napoleonic England, the lives of William Marsh and Olivia Delancey intertwine in unforeseen circumstances between newspaper reels, music sheets and political speeches. With 246 juicy- pages, it is another must-read for this hot-summer season to make your hearts race!

A Note of Scandal is based on the events of Summer of 1814 in England, when Napoleon has just been defeated for the second time is and he surrendered to the British. When the British economy is coming to terms with the wa
Krissy
I received a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley.

A Note of Scandal was one of those books that even from the first page knew how to keep you reading all the way through. Not many Regent romances keep you attached to each page and each character but from the start Nicky did a great job building a cast that couldn't be put away.
I really enjoyed Will and Olivia together as Olivia either was pulled or put herself into a mix of situations that gets herself in m
Mindy
Funny, sad, eye-opening, all these apply to this novel. I have always heard about how bad hospitals were especially for soldiers during the early American wars, but I never really thought about how veterans from other wars faired. I realize that this is not the central theme of the book, but this glimpse into history is only one aspect of this novel and shows how well the author knows her subject.

I laughed at how the heroine fought against the constraints on women, especially women in the peerag
Michelle ♥ The Romance Vault ♥
I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review. And the first thing I need to say is; Thank you very much Netgalley!

I didn't know what to expect going into this book as I am not a reader of historical romances in fact the last historical book I read was Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel! But I have to say this book just may have well changed my mind on that. I really enjoyed this romance, it is set in England in 1815 when social standing for women was not by how brainy they may be. T
Jonel Boyko (Pure Jonel)
This novel is a unique and captivating look back in time. Penttilla takes the lives of quite a few individuals and shows how they intertwine, creating real lives and an amazing story. She doesn’t stop there either. Love and heartbreak abound in this novel, where characters attempt to follow their hearts and themselves, against societal expectations.

This is a very well written story. It has a nice flow that fits with the storyline. The story and the writing progress in tandem with each other, not
Dev (ClumsyCoquette)
This isn't the typical novel that I read. In fact, I typically read paranormal romance. But, when given the opportunity I decided to step outside of the box and try something new. I am glad I did. This book is a historical romance. I had no idea what to expect, and as I began reading, it was as though I was transported into the past. The author, Nicky Penttila, does a great job telling the story of a woman that is taken advantage of by everyone in her life. Sadly it isn’t just her friends, it’s ...more
Maggi Hesseling
This great novel was hiding on my kindle. It felt like christmas morning all over again! Great characters, fantastic story, and an underlying sadness that had me wishing for more novel. So different from her other novel, but just as excellent. It's become another instant favorite.

The moment that she realizes that her parents sold her piano. I was on the verge of pulling my kindle apart. I love my piano, and can't imagine my parents even moving it without my permission.

I can't wait for what Nic
Heather
This novel is a historical romance with the main character trying to follow society's norms while trying to share her passion of music/music writing publically. I liked the personality of the main character and how she tried to deal, chin up, with the society around her squishing her dreams. She drove me a bit batty with constantly enabling the unworthy, whiny friends and family around her, but it fit with her personality. I enjoyed her love interested and their final reconciliation at the end o ...more
Ana

An unusual story about a noblewoman who composes music.
[image error]

And a man she needs to help her publish it (with some deceit thrown in).
[image error]

There is also something that is usually not so prominent in the most of the regency novels. The way that the war veterans were treated, and just how their life was uncertain when the war ended. It certainly sound realistic.

Anyway:

Reviewed for InD'Tale magazine. The review can be found here.

Meaghan
Well, this was the very first NICKY PENTTILA book I've read, I won a signed copy through the GOODREADS GIVEAWAY and I was impressed!

At first it took me a little while to get interested and into, but after the first couple chapters I was hooked. Being a mom of two children I dont have much free time, but every second that I did have was devoted to reading this book. A few pages here, a chapter there...and I loved how the story twists and turns and how the characters develope.

I found it exciting
Shelagh
A Note Of Scandal moved me to tears. Beautifully written both linguistically and in terms of its plot, the book occupied my thoughts a good deal of the time when I wasn't reading it. I felt part of myself wanting to reach the end to reassure myself that all would turn out well for Will and Olivia while part of me wanted it to go on forever. Now I'm at the end I feel bereft, as though a good friend has left me. I don't think I will ruin this book by trying to express in this review what Nicky Pen ...more
Susan
Nicky pens "A Note of Scandal", a historical romance in a unique plot filled with love, passion, history and a touch of humor. The flow of the story line is smooth and her characters were well developed. I reviewed the audio version on this book and Michelle Ford narrates the book and her character changes were done nicely which kept my interest. A must read for all historical romance fans.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest review.
Ruth Hill
One of these days, I may not jump at the chance to read Regency romances, but sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. After all, it's light reading, history, and romance. But sometimes I do feel like I'm reading the same story over and over again. And unfortunately, this book was no exception.

Now don't get me wrong. The characters were fine, and the romance was expected. There was implied intimacy, but we didn't really spend a lot of time in the bedroom. Olivia was definitely over-qualified in her
Cheree
If you are into Historical Romance this is the book for you. Now it was difficult for me as I am not a fan, and still am not, but gave it a try. Never know until you try, right? I had the opportunity to review the Audible version of this book and thought it to be very well done. The narrator's voice was perfect for the job. You could tell when there was a character change and get a feel of the emotions outside the words. There was great detail due most likely to the great research done by the au ...more
InD'Tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

This is an unusual and solid regency romance with a rather realistic portrait of the life in England after the defeat of Napoleon (not all moonlight and roses).

Read full review in the 2012 November issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Shannon   The Romance Addict!
Can love start with a Lie??

H: William "Will" Marsh publisher of the newspaper. well respected.
h: Olivia Delancey independent, strong willed, loving, good heart Music lover.

I really got into this book. I felt characters were well developed. I felt part of their struggle.

So this book start out with a lie between the H and h, not a very good start. The lie was done in a good heart though for a good reason. So let the passion begin....

I think the author did a great job with the background informati
N. Kuhn
It took me almost half of the book to get any real interest. I was confused about Merry and Martin. For awhile I was just thinking Olivia was stuck up. Things picked up a little bit later on in the book, but I'm not a fan of Will's. I can't put my finger on it, as to why, but he just held no interest for me at all. It's hard to cheer on a romantic couple when you don't enjoy it. The language didn't feel right for the time period. The one interesting this in the book was them showcasing how soldi ...more
Kate
This was a fun romance with interesting characters that had their own agendas to begin with were able to work the situation our so they had a happy ending. The plot was interesting and came up with surprises that I didn't expect.
Roseyreads
I enjoyed reading this book and it was one that I did look forward to getting back to whenever I put it down. One other review stated that they got tired of the profanity and I definitely agree. I found the time period to be interesting and appreciated the research that the author must have done to make it feel authentic. I just liked the story and characters. I didn't need the sex stuff. I really liked the part of the story that depicted going out in the boat to see Napoleon stroll on the deck ...more
Preethi
**Actual Rating**: 3 stars
**Book Format**: eARC

The beginning was super boring, but the novel got progressively better. The best part was the last 25% (or possibly more) of the book, though this part was also the most undeniably saddest part of the story; it's not fun having to read with a sheen of tears in your eyes and an ache in your chest, but it was definitely worth it.
This book was won through Goodreads giveaways.

Overall I thought this book was a good read.

Unfortunately, the beginning was slow and a bit boring. The story itself didn't really become interesting until about halfway through the book. Also, it took me awhile to warm up to the characters. I was, again, halfway through the book before they really grabbed my attention.
Alice Law
It was a rather slow start for me, but once the story picks up its pace it was mesmerizing. While Olivia was a perfect friend to be, she was supportive, intelligent and musical gifted; Will was every girls' walking 'dream come true'! He was smart, passionate with his dream and thrust worthy. Together they weaved a very beautiful historical romance!
Beckey
Touching, captivating, enjoyable, sweet Historical romance that was emotionally moving but interesting to read. 4 stars
Diana
Dec 14, 2013 Diana rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
I wanted to like this book but I could not get into it... I found it to be very flat.
  • Tangled Hearts (Highland Hearts, #2)
  • Taming a Gentleman Spy
  • Serenya's Song (Tallenmere, #2)
  • The Problem with Seduction (The Naughty Girls, #2)
  • Little Joe
  • Reconstructing Jackson
  • The Reluctant Earl
  • Enticing the Earl (Wise Woman, #2)
  • Tempting a Devil (The Saint’s Devils, #2)
  • To Seduce A Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals #3)
  • An Infamous Marriage
  • The Sweetest Kiss (Brothers of Worthington, #1)
  • A Kiss of Lies (The Disgraced Lords, #1)
  • Wind Raven (Agents of the Crown, #3)
  • The Marriage Wager (Sweet Deception Regency #3)
  • Almost an Angel
  • The Harlow Hoyden: A Regency Romance
  • A Wicked Pursuit (Breconridge Brothers, #1)
I write stories with adventure and love, and often with ideas and history as well. I love coming up with stories that are set in faraway cities and countries, because then I *must* travel there, you know, for research. I live in Maryland with my reading-mad husband and amazing rescue cat. Chattiest on Twitter, @NickyPenttila, I'm also at nickypenttila.com and on Facebook.
More about Nicky Penttila...
An Untitled Lady Babysitting the Billionaire The Science of Second Chances Out of Her Comfort Zone (Romance on the Go) The Lunchbox