Start by marking “Timetables of History: Horizontal Linkage of People & Events” as Want to Read:
Timetables of History: Horizontal Linkage of People & Events

Timetables of History: Horizontal Linkage of People & Events

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  821 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Book by Grun, Bernard
Hardcover, Revised Third Edition, 724 pages
Published December 15th 1991 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Timetables of History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Timetables of History

Danny McCaffrey
This book is criminally under utilized. I found it on some parents coffee table in college and have searched many years for it since. It is a brilliant approach towards visualizing history, an often daunting subject to approach.

Each page is divided into columns. History & Politics, Literature & Theater, Religion Philosophy Learning, Visual Arts, Music, Science Technology Growth, and Daily Life. Each year gets a short listing of the most prominent events and/or achievements of that time.
Jenn
Dec 31, 2013 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have carted the third edition around with me for years, but I rarely flip through it anymore. Much like reading archaeology books that are fifty years out of date and based on debunked assumptions, this tome is more notable for its omissions than its content now.
Since it is based on the Kulturfahrplan, it is heavily Eurocentric. China and 90% of Africa, and 60% of South America are completely ignored, but we learn when sequins were first made in Venice. Not that it doesn't make for interestin
Shauna
Aug 10, 2009 Shauna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We use this almost everyday in homeschool. So fascinating. We read about what else was "going on in history." Who knew that the sons of Mosiah were alive during the reign of Julius Caesar? Malachi loves concise history, these throughout lists of historical facts divided by year and category thoroughly fit the bill!
Traveller
Dec 15, 2011 Traveller rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I was rather disappointed in this book. The scope of it ended up limiting the usefulness.

Also, I would perhaps have structured it in such a way as not to waste so much space, (which not only wastes paper but makes the book very bulky physically speaking).

In it's current format, one cannot really look up events unless you know the exact date on which they ocurred, and if you already know that, you probably already know more about the event than the book has to offer...

It's fine as a coffee tab
Aaron
A novel and interesting approach to teaching history. This book, as the title says, provides a timetable where you can look up what the human race was doing at various times and places throughout history. Each year or era is cross indexed with a sphere of human activity, such as arts, politics, science, etc. The book is oversize and runs a whopping 676 pages, and even then the entries are necessarily short in order to cover the whole of human history.

The book's strength is apparent at first gla
Yves
Sep 26, 2013 Yves rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This weighty tome I picked up & was immediately engrossed, seeing year-by-year what the human race was building ... and destroying ... simultaneously. It is also cool to have around when reading about a specific time period.

These kind of books are also absolutely invaluable for home schooling giving parents historical context they would otherwise not have.

As a reference work to assign projects to students or for students to find a topic to write a report, this book has no peer. Example, you
Norah Alohali
Feb 14, 2016 Norah Alohali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A great book with a great idea. But unfortunately most of the events are Euro-American's. Other parts of the world are ignored.
Sharon Anne Beers
Feb 17, 2016 Sharon Anne Beers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great reference book to keep close at hand.
Caitlin
Apr 06, 2013 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, of course, not a book you can exactly sit through and read casually. However it is endlessly fascinating to me and it is a fun guide for just flipping through or if I am trying to place something, contextually, as a writer.

I actually own two editions of this book-- one was being given away at a library because it was too old an edition to be truly useful any more, and now I also have this newest edition of the book.

I may not have an opportunity to use it often, but it remains a delight
Adam
Mar 25, 2008 Adam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is an interesting way of devising a history text, in columns by subject. Given is a brief overview of events as they occurred in chronological order, and organized in a way that makes it easy to see what was happening at the same time around the world from antiquity to 1990.

Where this text is lacking is in the details. I see this as more of a novelty, and for quick reference. Research would be required into any details beyond the who/what/why/where/and when.

Interesting, but not completely
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A very clever idea.
K.Q. Webster
May 22, 2014 K.Q. Webster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's pretty dry just to read through (which I did) but still interesting when a random fact pops up that sparks interest. I'd recommend it as a skimming book. If there's a year you're interested in, you can just turn to it. Or you could open to a random page every once in a while and find something intriguing. In any case, the format makes it easy to use and lines events up nicely.
Lissa Notreallywolf
Reference books don't show up much here on Goodreads but this is a great at hand reference for those of us who don't confuse history with an elephantine recall of dates. You get to see music, culture, literature alongside technology which is sometimes a real wake-up call.
Ken
Aug 30, 2010 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have an older edition...it ends with 1978....so I need to get a new one. This is a 'must have' book for anyone interested in history and the interaction of events and people from political or military events, religion, literature, the arts, etc. I constantly refer to it.
Brenda Cregor
Aug 04, 2012 Brenda Cregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My edition of this non-fiction text is not flashy, at all.
What I like about the way the text and information is organized, is that you can see what was going on with different cultures all over the world, at the same time, on the same page, with little effort.
Leonard Pierce
May 20, 2008 Leonard Pierce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Grun and Stein's approach to history made a huge splash at the time, and really changed the way popular history was written, bringing about the "everyday life" totalist approach that's really familiar to us today.
Anna
Aug 24, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction
This is a very cool way to check out events quickly when you're trying to put together things and can't quite remember when, who, where, etc. And it's just the facts. Because I hated history class.
Matt
Jul 18, 2010 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I could use this as a reference for writing... but I think the
Internet (wikipedia) is more useful. Lots of STUFF inside and I'm sure others might find it interesting... just not for me.
Barbara
Apr 17, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, history
If you've ever wondered what was happening in other parts of the world while studying/reading about a particular era in history this is a perfect book to have on hand.
Isabel
Oct 27, 2015 Isabel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
interesting format, which is why I requested to see this from the library, but ultimately, I think there are much better timeline books out there.
Kate
May 15, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, history
this isn't exactly a page-turner, but if you need to quickly find out when some major world event happened, this is the reference for you.
The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events (Timetables of History) by Bernard Grun (2005)
Jesse Winslow
Jul 21, 2010 Jesse Winslow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'd be lying if I said that I read this book, but it is an interesting reference to peruse from time to time.
Ed Johnson
Jun 07, 2009 Ed Johnson marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pick-up-anytime
this is a great overview of history categorized into different topics and gives a birds eye view of events
Kevin Gee
more a European reference ,,most items can be disproved,,with very little research and cross reference ..
Shy
This is a wonderful historical reference book to have around and is fun to flip through when bored.
Johnflynch
Aug 18, 2008 Johnflynch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a brilliant and original reference book. It should have been thought of a long time ago
Bonnie Jeanne
The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events by Bernard Grun (1991)
Miychen
Dec 20, 2010 Miychen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought for high school AP Euro. I still have this on my bookshelf for reference!
Cayenne
Aug 21, 2009 Cayenne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would make an awesome homeschooling resource, which is where I heard about this book.
  • Dostoevsky: The Mantle of the Prophet, 1871-1881
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • The Anchor Atlas of World History, Vol 2: From the French Revolution to the American Bicentennial
  • The Encyclopedia of the Middle Ages