Timetables of History: Horizontal Linkage of People & Events

Timetables of History: Horizontal Linkage of People & Events

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  564 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Book by Grun, Bernard
Hardcover, Revised Third Edition, 724 pages
Published December 15th 1991 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Timetables of History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Timetables of History

Danny McCaffrey
This book is criminally under utilized. I found it on some parents coffee table in college and have searched many years for it since. It is a brilliant approach towards visualizing history, an often daunting subject to approach.

Each page is divided into columns. History & Politics, Literature & Theater, Religion Philosophy Learning, Visual Arts, Music, Science Technology Growth, and Daily Life. Each year gets a short listing of the most prominent events and/or achievements of that time....more
Jenn
I have carted the third edition around with me for years, but I rarely flip through it anymore. Much like reading archaeology books that are fifty years out of date and based on debunked assumptions, this tome is more notable for its omissions than its content now.
Since it is based on the Kulturfahrplan, it is heavily Eurocentric. China and 90% of Africa, and 60% of South America are completely ignored, but we learn when sequins were first made in Venice. Not that it doesn't make for interestin...more
Traveller
I was rather disappointed in this book. The scope of it ended up limiting the usefulness.

Also, I would perhaps have structured it in such a way as not to waste so much space, (which not only wastes paper but makes the book very bulky physically speaking).

In it's current format, one cannot really look up events unless you know the exact date on which they ocurred, and if you already know that, you probably already know more about the event than the book has to offer...

It's fine as a coffee tab...more
Topher
I don't know why no one has done this electronically. Or if they have, I don't know why I don't know about it. If it was electronic, you could choose your own categories (one of the book's category headings is, confusingly, "history") and you could ensure your electronic index was comprehensive.

Still, the print version is pretty fun.
Shauna
We use this almost everyday in homeschool. So fascinating. We read about what else was "going on in history." Who knew that the sons of Mosiah were alive during the reign of Julius Caesar? Malachi loves concise history, these throughout lists of historical facts divided by year and category thoroughly fit the bill!
Aaron
A novel and interesting approach to teaching history. This book, as the title says, provides a timetable where you can look up what the human race was doing at various times and places throughout history. Each year or era is cross indexed with a sphere of human activity, such as arts, politics, science, etc. The book is oversize and runs a whopping 676 pages, and even then the entries are necessarily short in order to cover the whole of human history.

The book's strength is apparent at first gla...more
Yves
This weighty tome I picked up & was immediately engrossed, seeing year-by-year what the human race was building ... and destroying ... simultaneously. It is also cool to have around when reading about a specific time period.

These kind of books are also absolutely invaluable for home schooling giving parents historical context they would otherwise not have.

As a reference work to assign projects to students or for students to find a topic to write a report, this book has no peer. Example, you...more
Caitlin
This is, of course, not a book you can exactly sit through and read casually. However it is endlessly fascinating to me and it is a fun guide for just flipping through or if I am trying to place something, contextually, as a writer.

I actually own two editions of this book-- one was being given away at a library because it was too old an edition to be truly useful any more, and now I also have this newest edition of the book.

I may not have an opportunity to use it often, but it remains a delight...more
Adam
This is an interesting way of devising a history text, in columns by subject. Given is a brief overview of events as they occurred in chronological order, and organized in a way that makes it easy to see what was happening at the same time around the world from antiquity to 1990.

Where this text is lacking is in the details. I see this as more of a novelty, and for quick reference. Research would be required into any details beyond the who/what/why/where/and when.

Interesting, but not completely...more
Kaethe
A very clever idea.
K.Q. Webster
It's pretty dry just to read through (which I did) but still interesting when a random fact pops up that sparks interest. I'd recommend it as a skimming book. If there's a year you're interested in, you can just turn to it. Or you could open to a random page every once in a while and find something intriguing. In any case, the format makes it easy to use and lines events up nicely.
Lissa Notreallywolf
Reference books don't show up much here on Goodreads but this is a great at hand reference for those of us who don't confuse history with an elephantine recall of dates. You get to see music, culture, literature alongside technology which is sometimes a real wake-up call.
Ken
I have an older edition...it ends with 1978....so I need to get a new one. This is a 'must have' book for anyone interested in history and the interaction of events and people from political or military events, religion, literature, the arts, etc. I constantly refer to it.
Brenda Cregor
My edition of this non-fiction text is not flashy, at all.
What I like about the way the text and information is organized, is that you can see what was going on with different cultures all over the world, at the same time, on the same page, with little effort.
Leonard Pierce
Grun and Stein's approach to history made a huge splash at the time, and really changed the way popular history was written, bringing about the "everyday life" totalist approach that's really familiar to us today.
Anna
This is a very cool way to check out events quickly when you're trying to put together things and can't quite remember when, who, where, etc. And it's just the facts. Because I hated history class.
Matt
I thought I could use this as a reference for writing... but I think the
Internet (wikipedia) is more useful. Lots of STUFF inside and I'm sure others might find it interesting... just not for me.
Barbara
If you've ever wondered what was happening in other parts of the world while studying/reading about a particular era in history this is a perfect book to have on hand.
Kate
this isn't exactly a page-turner, but if you need to quickly find out when some major world event happened, this is the reference for you.
The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events (Timetables of History) by Bernard Grun (2005)
Jesse Winslow
I'd be lying if I said that I read this book, but it is an interesting reference to peruse from time to time.
Ed Johnson
Jun 07, 2009 Ed Johnson marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pick-up-anytime
this is a great overview of history categorized into different topics and gives a birds eye view of events
Kevin Gee
more a European reference ,,most items can be disproved,,with very little research and cross reference ..
Shy
This is a wonderful historical reference book to have around and is fun to flip through when bored.
Johnflynch
this is a brilliant and original reference book. It should have been thought of a long time ago
Bonnie Jeanne
The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events by Bernard Grun (1991)
Miychen
Bought for high school AP Euro. I still have this on my bookshelf for reference!
Cayenne
Would make an awesome homeschooling resource, which is where I heard about this book.
Michelle
Awesome reference book for background when reading stories set in the past.
John
Probably the most indispensable historical reference work in my collection!
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother
  • By the Sword: A History of Gladiators, Musketeers, Samurai, Swashbucklers, and Olympic Champions
  • The Dorothy Dunnett Companion
  • Ring of Fire III
  • From Pagan Rome to Byzantium (A History of Private Life, #1)
  • The Age of Louis XIV (The Story of Civilization, #8)
  • Greek Fire, Poison Arrows & Scorpion Bombs: Biological and Chemical Warfare in the Ancient World
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • The New Penguin History of The World
  • Parallel Lives
  • Asimov's Chronology of the World
  • Shakespeare's Restless World: A Portrait of an Era in Twenty Objects
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Standing by Words
  • In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food
  • The Pirates Laffite: The Treacherous World of the Corsairs of the Gulf
  • The World That Made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square
Golden quill Altın Nağmeler Gold And Silver: The Life And Times Of Franz Lehár PRIVATE LIVES OF THE GREAT COMPOSERS, VONDUCTORS AND MUSICAL ARTISTES OF THE WORLD