Start by marking “These Haunted Hearts” as Want to Read:
These Haunted Hearts

These Haunted Hearts

On one fateful wedding day at Marston Hall in 1818, four linked destinies hover in the balance.

Josiah Aston, Earl of Stansfield, wakes to discover he's seventy years dead and he alone can free his beloved wife Isabella's tormented soul. But first he must convince her to trust him against all the evidence…

Lady Isabella Verney, beautiful and tempestuous, married the man of
Published March 11th 2013 by Anna Campbell

To ask other readers questions about These Haunted Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Haunted Hearts

Brenda
When Josiah woke, he could not understand what had happened; he remembered his wedding vows to the beautiful and volatile Isabella, but nothing else. Something strange had happened; his wedding was just yesterday…wasn’t it?

With the opening of Marston Hall in 1818 for the wedding of Miles Hartley to Calista Aston, after being closed for 70 years unused and appearing to be cursed, they imagined their happiness to be complete. Lady Calista was a practical girl who didn’t believe in ghosts, so the o
Melanie
Apr 10, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
This is a short but sweet and very suspenseful story of two couples fighting for their love.

I was spellbound by the suspense and read the story in one sitting. Its Gothic feel gave me goose bumps!

My heart went out to both couples as they were fighting this curse.

Josiah Aston, Earl of Stansfield can’t remember how he died, but one thing he does remember is how much he loves Lady Isabella Verney, his bride…

Lady Calista Aston is sure of her love for Miles Hartley, Viscount Kendall, her future husba
Susanne
Mar 26, 2013 Susanne rated it it was amazing
A double love story with paranormal elements based around a cursed Chinese princess's bed had me intrigued. I didn't know how or where it might develop but I really enjoyed the suspense as it drew me in. Did he, or didn't he murder his bride?

I loved the provenance of the bed too, including the Prince Regent's contribution! This was a different type of novella by Anna Campbell and it was worth the wait. I hope she writes more of these little gems in between her wonderful Rakes series!
Helen
Mar 31, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing
What a great read I loved it true love always wins thru I love your stories MS Campbell they always give hours of reading pleasure thank you
Lauren
Apr 11, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
What's not to love about this gorgeous novella? It has two love stories, romance, mystery... and ghosts! I love Anna Campbell's work and this little gem didn't disappoint.
Regina
Sep 08, 2015 Regina rated it it was amazing
In the world of historical romance, one thing you can count on is that Anna Campbell is a sure bet. It is all in the writing and flawless execution of a creative imagination; this author can routinely deliver in-depth characters, rouse deep emotion, and generate sigh-worthy satisfaction. This novella, a regency ghost romance, was simple magic.

At the heart of the story is a bed cursed by a woman who was jilted by her lover, a bed that brings tragedy to every couple who lies within it. Two couples
Tracy
Dec 19, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing

This was a nice quick read. It had a bit if paranormal, a second chance love and a heroine that let her insecurities almost destroy her.

Calista can't believe Miles really loves her and becomes victim to a malicious "spirit" in a "cursed bed".

Josiah wakes up and realizes he is dead and 70 years have passed. The last thing he remembers is getting married to his beloved Isabella. When he finds Isabella, he is shocked that she is afraid of him and is convinced that he killed her.

Both cou
Maria
Mar 07, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
I will read anything by Anna Campbell. She writes beautiful and lyrical love stories that are very romantic. I haven’t read too many historical romances with a supernatural element to them—Katharine Ashe’s lovely Captive Bride comes to mind. However, when I enjoy an author’s writing style, I will read almost anything they write.

Here there are two couples, Calista and Miles, about to be married, and Josiah and Isabella, ghosts in Calista’s family house. The shared link is a mysterious—I would say
Maura
This story did not do much for me. There are two couples, one ghostly the other corporeal and both dealing with the same evil presence that causes death to new brides who don't have faith in their husband's love. It was just okay. Maybe if it had only been one storyline it would have been better.
Barbara
Nov 13, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: books-2013
A quick fun read involving two couples and a jaunted, cursed bed. 70 years ago Isabella died in a fall down the Grand Stairwell, supposedly murdered by her new husband Josiah. Now Calista is marrying Miles, yet questioning her self-worth. Will the same evil triumph?
Christa
Aug 26, 2016 Christa rated it liked it
since this was a novella, there was not as much character development as i like. if you can accept that it is a pretty good story.
Elaine
Feb 02, 2015 Elaine rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read ghostly stories but being Anna Campbell.....
A short story which I liked very much - reminded me of an excerpt from the film "High Spirits".
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2014
Kasey
Kasey rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Ana Maria Rînceanu
There were too many characters. I wasn't attached to any other them.
Renee Harrah
Renee Harrah rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Delia
Delia rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
shewhorefusestonameherself
shewhorefusestonameherself rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2015
Sandie James
Sandie James rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Elizabeth Murphy
Elizabeth Murphy rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Aislinn
Aislinn rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Lokdyer
Lokdyer rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Albiona
Albiona rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Karyn
Karyn rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Dina
Dina rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
Leyla
Leyla rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Tricia
Tricia rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Ask Me to Stay (Homeland, #1)
  • Three Weddings and a Murder
  • The Kissing Season
  • All I Want for Christmas is Blue (Lord and Lady Spy, #3.6)
  • Two Birds (A Short Mystery)
  • The Valentine Challenge
  • A Cowboy For Christmas (Copper Mountain Christmas #1; The Scott Brothers of Montana #1)
  • Eliza's Home (Cypress Hollow Yarn 0.5)
  • The Darkest Embrace
  • Operation White Christmas: An Escape to the Country Novella
  • Wish
  • Best Women's Erotica 2013
  • The Lady's Scandalous Night (Tang Dynasty, #2.5)
  • Behind the Red Door (Ever After Novellas, #2-4)
  • A Most Naked Solution
  • The Short and Fascinating Tale of Angelina Whitcombe
  • The Sword of Demelza
  • Baring It All (Short Story): A Loveswept Historical Romance
I've written ten multi award-winning full-length historical romances for Grand Central Publishing and Avon HarperCollins (available in print and digital) and my work is published in seventeen languages. Look out for my indie novellas, too. Most recently I've been engaged in the Dashing Widows series, latest release WINNING LORD WEST (April 2016). I live on the beautiful east coast of Australia, ...more
More about Anna Campbell...