Start by marking “The True Peruvian Route: An ascent of Aconcagua, South America's highest mountain” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Mountaineering is an activity where true elation and deep disappointment thrive in equal measure. Nothing exemplifies this more than the story of Mark Horrell's two attempts on Aconcagua, the highest mountain in the world outside Asia, and one of the Seven Summits. This is the story of the second happier half.

In 2005 the author set off up the Normal Route on Aconcagua's we
ebook
Published December 7th 2012 by Smashwords Edition (first published August 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The True Peruvian Route, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The True Peruvian Route

chucklesthescot
Mark is on a trek in South America to climb the tallest mountain on the continent-Aconcagua. It is the tallest mountain in the world that you can just walk up, making it very popular with trekkers. He is keen on doing the faster Polish Glacier Route but that plan is aborted because conditions are too dangerous and Mark has to go with the tourist route instead.

The biggest worry on this trip is the dreaded poo bag. You are not allowed to leave human waste on the mountain so all climbers have to wr
Marlowe
Mar 29, 2014 Marlowe rated it really liked it
When browsing mountaineering eBooks on Amazon I came across Mark Horrell and decided to buy one of his climbing diaries, choosing this as it was the first published.

This was my first read of a South American climb and it was very interesting to read the day-by-day account of the ascent - along the way were interesting facts and interesting insights in the daily toil.

Short and non-taxing, I'd recommend this to any person interested in adventure and mountain climbing.
Brian Mulder
Dec 20, 2015 Brian Mulder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Initially I thought to give it four stars. I asked myself "what could have been done better"... the answer was nothing. I had frisson reading this in anticipation of my summit attempt in Feb 2016.

A helpful and illuminating read to help modulate expectations for Aconcagua.
David
Jan 03, 2014 David rated it really liked it
It's mountain writing. It's not a Nobel Prize winner. It does very well what it's supposed to do which is to share a life-experience and inspire to follow. It felt like I was there and that's just what I was looking for until I get there myself.
Nathan
May 01, 2016 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
There are a lot of grammar and spelling errors that should have been corrected prior to publishing. Get an editor.
R. F,
R. F, rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
susan thomas
susan thomas rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Jonas
Jonas rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Bsa
Bsa rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Scotty
Scotty rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
j.p.parkin
j.p.parkin marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Seda Dogan
Seda Dogan rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Sigrid C Hasselbacher
Sigrid C Hasselbacher rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Nick Wingham-Boyer
Nick Wingham-Boyer rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2016
Sandra Patricia
Sandra Patricia rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Zbambus
Zbambus rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Kenrick Garraway
Kenrick Garraway rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Phil Flynn
Phil Flynn rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Ivan Ivukin
Ivan Ivukin rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
James Wetzel
James Wetzel rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Mar 06, 2016
jane andraka
jane andraka rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Patrick Murphy
Patrick Murphy rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Joan E. Singh
Joan E. Singh rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
For five years I have been writing what has been described as one of the most credible Everest opinion blogs out there. I write about trekking and mountaineering from the often silent perspective of the commercial client.

For over a decade I have been exploring the world's greater mountain ranges and keeping a diary of my travels. As a writer I strive to do for mountain history what Bill Bryson did
More about Mark Horrell...