Start by marking “Aesop's Fables” as Want to Read:
Aesop's Fables

Aesop's Fables

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  36 reviews
More than 200 classic tales by legendary storyteller Aesop have been translated into readable, modern American English, and illustrated with 50 woodcuts by famous 19th-century French artist J.J. Grandville.
Published December 12th 1988 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Aesop's Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aesop's Fables

Bridget Cabbiness
“Aesop’s Fables” illustrated by Charles Santore is a collection of fables intended for the primary age group, ranging from ages five to eight. This collection is the best of Aesop’s animal fables. The tales, in many cases put animals in human rolls and teach a lesson which is described at the end. All of the tales in this book have animal characters and I think that will draw younger readers to it. I like how at the end of each tale, the overall lesson, or concept is put at the bottom. This is g ...more
Eric
Some are quite humourous and most are familiar in one rendition or another. Many are even redundant, but the substitution of new animals and dialogue make them fun again. People often consider this a children's book, however, it is a lot more useful to adults; the moral lessons and implications on life are often deeper than we might perceive at first glance.
Mekenna Price
Aesop's fables have been told in many different stories and illustrated in many ways, but some would argue that this version collected by Charles Santore is one of the most impressive and most inspirational. The lessons are clearly stated at the end of each fable. Even the fables are easily understood. They are perfect for getting children to understand them. They are written in a dialogue that does not have difficult words to pronounce or words that a child might not understand. The story about ...more
Teri
Kohl's Cares is currently featuring books illustrated by Charles Santore. Beeeyootiful illustrations. I really liked the fables chosen and the way it is summed up with a moral to the story.
Annabel
Everything about this book is gorgeous. The art is whimsical and captures the substance of each story. Each of Aesop's fables illustrates an important truth about the human condition and is summed up perfectly with a proverb at the end of each story. For some reason the animals make the story more powerful than if the story were about humans. Probably because humans are seen as being more in-depth and complicated whereas there is a purity to the personality and attributes we give animals. Using ...more
Alexis Priestley
I was familiar with some on the stories told in here, as I'm sure most people are. The illustrations I thought were beautiful. Although some of the stories were entertaining, funny or had some redeeming messages, it wasn't my favorite. Some stories I thought were a little odd or too vague. I don't think I would have liked this book very much as a child. It wouldn't have been able to keep my attention for very long. As a child I liked a whole story as opposed to a book full of little stories. Wit ...more
Lauren Blount
Aesop's Fables is a great book to read to young children because the fable's are short, quick, and include a picture to go along with it. The sometimes quirky fables will be enjoyable and relatable to children because of the use of animals in the telling of the fable. The fables are a fun way of teaching simple life lessons to kids, although some of the fables are a little more deep with lessons that are harder to distinguish than others. Overall an excellent and unique book to use for teaching ...more
Emily Mckinnon
Wow! What a fantastic set of fables! I thoroughly enjoyed reading these. The illustrations are uniquely beautiful and really add to the life of the fables. What I like best is that each fable had an important life lesson embedded that children, teens, and adults all can learn from. One of my favorite lessons was from "The Bear and the Bees," which was, "It is better to bear a single injury in silence than to bring about a thousand by reacting in anger." These fables are great to teach young chil ...more
Megan Guertler
The entire book was filled with fables that i have been told my whole life. some though i have never heard of, one of these was "The wolf in the sheep's clothing" i really like this one, i think manly for the lesson that is learned in it. harm seek, harm find. this is displayed all the time but not always is it as extreme as is shown in this fable. one more thing that i loved in this book was the illustrations, i thought they were beautiful! I enjoyed reading this book very much.
Breanne Driesel
I found this book captivating. Each story was different and had something to teach. I love when reading is both educational and enjoyable (sometimes it doesn't always feel like that). The correlation of the animals and their characteristics fit so well. I found it interesting that the lion, fox, and mouse were used so often. I loved the illustrations each one fit it's story line so well.
Natasha Stewart
I really enjoyed this book. I grew up reading and hearing these stories and having most of them all in one book was very convenient. These stories are odd at times but you do learn some lessons from them. They are fables to help you learn from different situations in life. I think they are compiled well in the book and Santore did wonderful illustrations. They match the story well.
Melissa
Aesop's Fables is a very familiar, enjoyable set of stories, beautifully illustrated by Charles Santore. Each story is easily read and could be read to probably any age, but could be expounded on with children of older ages, with certain themes they would be able to understand. The themes are outlined in a sentence at the end, explaining the moral of the fable.
Austin Francis
I thought the artwork was amazing and the format the story was told was great. The moral at the end in parentheses I thought were helpful because I wasn't sure what the moral was on some of them. The deep meanings behind things actually really taught me a lot. I just thought it was a great representation on stories older than sliced bread.
Wendycarlson3
This book is full of good life lessons, although the language or wording used is outdated for this day and age. And I can't agree with all of the lessons, one said "Might makes right". I had to expand and explain that a little better to my boys. The illustrations are wonderful tho and the short stories are fast and easy to read to young children.
Liz Carrillo
I thought the book is simply amazingly perfect. I enjoyed reading this a lot, especially because at the end of every fable there was a message that if you just read it you wouldn't understand it, you have to read the story and the message below it and think about it to learn a lesson of it .
Erika
I was obsessed with the illustrations in this book; they were so vivid and interesting and seemed to jump right off the page. I also really liked that it was a compilation of various fables, which gave you many reading options. It was also organized very well and made sense to move from one story to the next. I would love to use this in my classroom when going over folktales!
Jaclyn
I loved the illustrations and how simple and short each fable was. I liked the way Santore painted each fable out. The images helped convey the moral of each story and the dramatic irony was very fun. I thought it was very well-said and balanced for each fable.
Destiny
Very entertaining with good messages. Fables are very interesting in the fact that they tell a silly story about animals and yet teach a valuable lesson of human behavior. The art in the book was great to show the emotion in the stories it told.
Susie
This book has some fables that I had not previously read. Great choice of stories with fantastic artwork. The format of one fable per page with the picture adjacent is beautiful. This is a great read aloud book as well as a lap book.
Meagan Pack
This is a great book to find ancient fables. But along with these fables there is amazing illustrations. Charles Santore did a wonderful job of capturing the fable in picture. The details are very good and crisp, it was enjoyable to read the fables but even more enjoyable to look at the pictures.
Mckenzie
Great stories for all ages! Read these stories to my two year old niece-not sure who enjoyed them more! Would be great to read in classrooms with students of all ages! The artwork is also very enjoyable.
Kiera Marsh
I really liked the artwork for this book it was fun with just enough realism to keep it grounded. I am also a fan of having the lesson in italics below each fable.
Angie Rabago
Illustrations are beautiful. It is definitely a book that can spark up conversations with children about the morals learned from each short fable
Jared
Nice illustrations; I enjoy Aesop's fables in general, and this one did not disappoint. Unfortunately the illustrator merely selected a few of his personal favourite fables to include in this collection, so it is hardly a complete set. I look forward to reading this one to my children one day and letting them stare at the images in order to synthesize what has happened in the stories with what they see in the drawings. It was fun remembering some of these fables from Jean de la Fontaine's "Fable ...more
Lastoadri
This used to be my favorite book as a kid, but in Arabic..
Barb Keister
I loved Aesop's Fables growing up, so was happy to see this beautifully illustrated version. Interestingly enough, the moral of many fables aren't exactly positive but several contemporary references are found in fables (i.e. sour grapes, slow and steady, etc.) that warrant teaching them to children today. The illustrator, Charles Santore writes in his note: "The animals are never more or less than their essential natures, and thus they never disappoint. That is the great essence of each fable."
Amanda Seats
Aug 23, 2010 Amanda Seats rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children or to anyone looking for a quick, light read
Shelves: 1001-books, reviewed
This was a pretty quick read for me. And I liked it, although not as much as I had predicted I would. Most of the tales seemed kind of repetitive by the end, though there were some really cute stories mixed all in with some really good morals. Not my favorite book, but I'd still recommend it for some light reading.
Darcy
Perhaps it was the translation, but I found the fables very "do what you're told, or else." They bored me, really, with their repetitious morals. Yet some of the images were intriguing, and I wish some of the fables were better known (like the neighbor guarding the iron bars).
Ashley
I really loved this book and the exquisitely detailed pictures. I have always been fond of fables and the messages that they teach. I thought it was neat that the author put the lesson to be learn at the end of each fable.
Mike
Oct 07, 2014 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I found this book very interesting! Every child should learn to understand these tails. By the use of metaphors, this book teaches human nature, not just within other's but within ourselves.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Math Fables: Lessons That Count
  • TinkerBell :The Junior Novelization
  • Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back
  • My Neighbor Totoro Picture Book
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • How Do I Love You?
  • Bear's Loose Tooth
  • Biscuit and the Lost Teddy Bear
  • Friends
  • Oh, Baby! Go, Baby!
  • Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs
Charles Santore is an American illustrator best known for his children's books. His work is on display permanently at the Brandywine River Museum and the Museum of Modern Art. He won the Hamilton King award from the New York Society of Illustrators. His book William the Curious won the 1998 Storytelling World Honor from Storytelling magazine.
More about Charles Santore...
Snow White: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm William the Curious: Knight of the Water Lilies Three Hungry Pigs and the Wolf Who Came to Dinner The Silk Princess The Little Mermaid