Start by marking “Star Wars: Legacy, Book 1” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Legacy, Book 1

Star Wars: Legacy, Book 1 (Star Wars: Legacy omnibus books #1)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The future of Star Wars, the future of the galaxy, and the future of the Skywalkers is told in John Ostrander and Jan Duursema's acclaimed Star Wars: Legacy. A legion of Sith have conquered what was left of the Empire, the Jedi have been purged-or fled into hiding-and the galaxy is divided. Meet Cade Skywalker, a bounty hunter who doesn't want anything to do with the Jedi, ...more
Published June 5th 2013 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Aaron
Dec 09, 2013 Aaron rated it really liked it
I've heard a lot of good things about the Legacy series, many of them comparing it in scope Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (AKA "the only good" Expanded Universe novels) and Dark Empire (AKA "one of the only good" Expanded Universe comics). I've been out of the Star Wars comics loop for about 10 or so years, minus a couple of dabblings with Darth Vader miniseries, so I was excited to jump back in with a series that was being hailed the way this one was.

Here's the thing about the Star Wars Expande
Nicolo Yu
Mar 11, 2015 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comixology
I bought this first volume of the Star Wars: Legacy digital omnibus as a part of a set with the second volume because of a Comixology sale that offered the second volume as free. It was a sweet deal that i couldn't resist because I've been looking to add any edition of Star Wars: Legacy to my physical or digital library.

The Star Wars: Legacy series is one of the few books that I wouldn't mind double-dipping. The story and art by Ostrander and Duursema in this series was excellent. So good, that
Morgan
I am pretty sure that I should be rooting for Cade and not the Sith. Right?

Pretty sure.

But still I would rather this whole thing focused on any of the female characters mentioned (most are pretty badass, honestly) instead of the actual "focus" in the last Skywalker.

Apart from Cade, the story moves along at a pretty good pace--though there are some slow spots where I was just sort of wondering what the point was and hoping that someone would get to it. (I don't think I should feel like I'm read
Mark Morabito
Jul 21, 2015 Mark Morabito rated it liked it
Good Star Wars with occasional clunky dialogue and oddly drawn humans.
C.T. Phipps
Apr 25, 2015 C.T. Phipps rated it really liked it
Star Wars: Legacy is one of the few grand experiments in the Star Wars Expanded Universe. A fifty-six issue comic book series with an ongoing sequel series, it was one of the rare attempts to do something original. Set a century and a half after the events of A New Hope, it followed the adventures of antihero Cade Skywalker as a new Sith Empire had risen to take over the galaxy.

The problem is there's already some issues with this premise. The Sith returning after George Lucas made such a very
Trike
I usually don't like counting graphic novels as part of my "Read" list because it feels like cheating since they're so short. This one is different. Clocking in at more than 470 pages, it's pretty substantial both in terms of story and as a physical object. It would be a handy workout weight and a superior doorstop, rated to a Category 4 hurricane. Seriously, this thing is a brick.

Okay, hang on, I'm watching the Tonys.

What? I'm large, I contain multitudes. Have you seen Hedwig and the Angry Inc
Arturo De Tuoni
Jan 30, 2016 Arturo De Tuoni rated it it was ok
Quick Comments/Questions Raised:
I've never been much of a fan of the Star Wars expanded universe, although I admire and marvel at the attempt of maintaining such a multi-media,multi-decade spanning narrative. It's not been all bad. Some of it was good. There's still some good in the EU.

Although I admire the attempt to move the series forward, I found this story a bit clunky. There are many good arcs competing against one another (stories from the perspectives of the Stormtroopers and officers I
Marcus
May 12, 2015 Marcus rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-read
In spite of its consistently unlikable protagonist, Legacy is a highly enjoyable series. I like the art, the character designs, the scope, and the freedom the series has to create its own story without worrying about the continuity of classic Star Wars. Ostrander gets to explore interesting new angles to the concepts of Sith, Empire, force powers, etc. The existing EU is well incorporated into the backstory though, for example the Yuuzhan Vong and their terraforming.

Like I mentioned, I don't lik
Joy
Apr 25, 2013 Joy rated it it was ok
Set several generations after the original trilogy--most of the main characters are descendents of the movie characters and/or expanded universe novel characters. If you're familiar with the EU, this reads like fairly grim, but interesting, fanfic. I wish the art was less driven by the male gaze, though.
Danielle (is trying to escape reality)
4.5 !

This was probably the best graphic novel I've ever read. It read like a true book but had the amazing added bonus of pictures :P

The is set after the events of the movies, with a future generation of Skywalkers. This is a gritty novel though, with everything you love about Star Wars (the atmosphere, all the different creatures, the pretty women, bounty hunters, Sith, Jedi.. even R2 makes an appearance :D)

What this graphic novel has working for it that really sets it apart is a real, driven
Holden Attradies
This is probably the best Star Wars comic series. It has everything you want: a main character struggling between light and dark, cool fights, Jedi's up the wazoo but plenty of non-force using characters as well, incredibly cool looking characters, storm troopers, sit.

The story is perfectly complex for a comic, just enough so that none of the story feels dragged out or needlessly long. And has some really cool twists and reveals especially towards the end of this volume. There is an amazing amo
Greg Leymon
Jan 04, 2015 Greg Leymon rated it really liked it
I'm almost finished with the first omnibus. I enjoy it enough to continue reading the series with book 2. The artwork is good and gives the series a more modern and less cheesy vibe versus the original six movies and art. The overall plot is also somewhat darker or "grey" when it comes to right and wrong. This a big deal considering the plot from the movies were clearly black and white I.E. clear-cut good versus evil. This is refreshing if you always wanted a more mature Star Wars franchise. I g ...more
Udolpho
Feb 02, 2016 Udolpho rated it really liked it
This book grew on me as I read it. The biggest (only?) downside is the main character, Cade Skywalker. They missed the sweet spot "cool bad-boy space-pirate" they were aiming for and instead landed smack in "douchebag" territory. It's like they tried to make a Skywalker who's also Han Solo... except they couldn't get the charming part right. But otherwise, enjoyable!
B. Reese
Aug 10, 2015 B. Reese rated it liked it
This was interesting to see what the future of Star Wars looked like. I went into the series excited, but as it unfolded I grew less and less satisfied with what the future looked like. Basically everything that Luke had fought for was rendered moot. And I guess while this is how real life is sometimes, it just didn't feel like the right kind of LEGACY for Luke Skywalker.

There are some interesting plots and such, and the art is excellent, but overall, I'm really not inclined to include this in
Joseph
Jun 22, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
This wasn't too bad. The art and story were good.

It is one of the those comics were it is not the end of the world if you don't read it though. If you do have the time and want to read it you shouldn't be disappointed.

The only issue I have is why does all the female characters wear close to nothing? The bounty hunters, Sith and even Cade's mom dress a little slutty.
Ben Bartlett
Jan 08, 2016 Ben Bartlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great EU story

Beautiful and exciting art, strong story. A bit conventional and angsty at times, but mostly great fun for any EU fan.
Sam
Jun 19, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty entertaining

I enjoyed this volume. It follows Luke Skywalker's conflicted grandson. The art is good and the story is alright. Enjoy!
Justin
May 24, 2015 Justin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, star-wars
Not that I've read many of them, but this was my favorite of the Star Wars comics stuff I have read, with much better art than these series sometimes get.
Alexandre
Jan 28, 2016 Alexandre rated it really liked it
Excellent Star Wars story, good mix of politics and action/adventures .
Caitlin
Sep 23, 2014 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Set 137 years after episode IV. Great read but I'm not sure I'm going to get the second book...
Saritza
May 18, 2015 Saritza rated it really liked it
Really enjoy this AU world. Ready to get started on the second volume.
Garrett Ballendine
Nov 23, 2013 Garrett Ballendine rated it it was amazing
Together John and Jan deliver one of the greatest Star Wars comic experiences.

Set far enough into the future one needs little to no knowledge of the Expanded Universe, but retains enough to make seasoned fans giddy. This is a must have collecton.

Packed together in this beautifully bound hardcover book, this collects the first third of the Legacy series.
David Blackwell
Jul 07, 2013 David Blackwell rated it it was amazing
Gah! I love it when Force users flirt with both the light side and the dark. So much fun. And I love the character connection that weave together throughout time. Their reappearances are so dramatic.

Love it.
Henrik Sommerland
Jul 20, 2013 Henrik Sommerland rated it really liked it
Great addition to the Star Wars EU.
Szymon Zygaluk
Szymon Zygaluk marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Phil Bova
Phil Bova rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Tim
Tim is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2016
Niall Philyaw
Niall Philyaw rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Gordon Kane
Gordon Kane rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic, Volume 2
  • Star Wars: The Crimson Empire Saga
  • Shadow Games (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Infinities
  • The Star Wars
  • Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy
  • Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago...., Vol. 1
  • Star Wars: The Essential Atlas
  • 501st (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #5)
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Emissaries and Assassins
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi, Volume 1
  • Choices of One (Star Wars)
  • Rescues (Star Wars: Invasion, #2)
John Ostrander is an American writer of comic books. He is best known for his work on Suicide Squad, Grimjack and Star Wars: Legacy, series he helped create.

Originally an actor in a Chicago theatre company, Ostrander moved into writing comics in 1983. His first published works were stories about the character "Sargon, Mistress of War", who appeared the First Comics series Warp!, based on a series
More about John Ostrander...

Star Wars: Legacy omnibus books (3 books)
  • Star Wars: Legacy, Book 2