Sword and Sorceress III

Sword and Sorceress III (Sword and Sorceress #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  697 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Scarlet Eyes · Millea Kenin
The River of Tears · Anodea Judith
Fresh Blood · Polly B. Johnson
The Mist on t...more
Published July 1st 1986 by DAW (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Sword and Sorceress III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword and Sorceress III

Elizabeth
Not bad. Took me a long time to get into it, because the first story is long and plodding and poorly-written. I initially coveted this one because it has the very first appearance of Mercedes Lackey's Tarma and Kethry, who were my childhood favorite protagonists (and are still pretty high on the list). It's got some really excellent stories in it, but it also has more than a couple of duds, which seem to be front-loaded in the book - I didn't like many of the first stories, but all but one of th...more
Wise_owl
I've perhaps said this before, but anthologies are always a grabe-bag. Some good. Some Bad. Usually most contian a mixture of the good, the bad with occasional true stinkers or beautiful gems shining forth. Sword and Sorceresss 3 has far more gems than it does 'bad' stories. Indeed i"m not sure I'd call any of them bad, though some of them are more or less memorable.

This volume is fascinating for it's exposure of talent that was than new, but which went on to great prominent(Elizabeth Moon and m...more
Nicole
A great collection of 20 short stories of women in fantasy settings (one more sci-fi than fantasy though) weither they be wielding a sword in battle or conjuring magic each has her own strength and character.
As each story is written by a different author there is a small introduction to each written by Marion, and a brief explanation as to why their story was chosen to be published in this edition.
I completed reading this over a long period of time, allowing myself to read other books in betwe...more
Marco
I was very interested to learn more about the feminist fantasy movement. I discovered the existence and the historical importance of this movement only recently, even if I grew up reading novels of Marion Zimmer Bradley and Jennifer Robertson. This anthology of short stories is a good introduction. It is rather interesting that all the main authors belonging to this movement lived in the San Francisco Bay Area and I find rather intriguing to be living where my favorite childhood authors wrote th...more
Geoff
Found this by way of the Introduction to Mercedes Lackey's 'The Oathbound'. And I dislike starting a story in the middle; I want to read 'Sword Sworn' which is the prologue to this first book of the Vows and Honor trilogy.
Maree
Aug 09, 2012 Maree marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
This book contains a short story by Mercedes Lackey called "Sword Sworn" which tells the sotry of hoow Kethry and Tarma of the Oathbreakers duology met. I've been meaning to read this book for years.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Simona
Simona marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Norma Dawn
Norma Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Nibrock
Nibrock marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Hope Szabo
Hope Szabo marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Lunara Alder
Lunara Alder marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Dani Sigman
Dani Sigman marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Phoenixsaga
Phoenixsaga marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
  • Sword and Sorceress 23
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • Tales of the Witch World 1
  • The Chick is in the Mail (Chicks in Chainmail, #4)
  • Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar
  • Bones of the Past (Arhel, #2)
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • Daw 30th Anniversary Fantasy
  • Alchemy and Academe : A Collection of Original Stories Concerning Themselves with Transmutations, Mental and Elemental, Alchemical and Academic
  • The Blood of Ten Chiefs (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #1)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham...more
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) The Firebrand