Start by marking “The Cambridge Ancient History, Volume 1, Part 1: Prolegomena and Prehistory” as Want to Read:
The Cambridge Ancient History, Volume 1, Part 1: Prolegomena and Prehistory

The Cambridge Ancient History, Volume 1, Part 1: Prolegomena and Prehistory (The Cambridge Ancient History, 2nd edition #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This first part of the first volume of the Cambridge Ancient History series examines the prehistory of the Near East, beginning with an overview of the geological ages and continues through the early human settlements, and then the lithic and chalcolithic periods. The regions examined are: Anatolia, Mesopotamia, the Aegean, Cyprus, and predynastic Egypt.

This volume describ
Hardcover, Third Edition, 672 pages
Published January 29th 1971 by Cambridge University Press (first published December 2nd 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Cambridge Ancient History, Volume 1, Part 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cambridge Ancient History, Volume 1, Part 1

Lazette

A person has to truly love history, esoteric knowledge and pottery to read this book from cover-to-cover. I have actually read it twice. The first time was over 25 years ago, when I was able to get a copy from the library. I read several of the books in the series and swore that I would own them one day. This is the first of the 19 volumes that I've bought.

The history of mankind's first steps towards civilization is a fascinating mosaic of tool (and pottery) making, the first attempts at agricul
Ben Dutton
My historical knowledge, especially pre-nineteenth century, is a little weak: in fact it’s downright dreadful. Asking a friend what the best history series to read was, to fill in these disgraceful gaps, he suggested the Cambridge History series. Discovering that my local library had a complete set of their Ancient History range, I thought why not begin at the beginning: The first volume of this fourteen volume sets takes us from the geological ages through to the Stone Age in the Aegean. Writte ...more
Tim Pendry
This is the first volume of the massive Third Edition of the Cambridge Ancient History and, naturally, with a 1970 date affixed, it is going to be equally massively out of date.

At least it will be out of date until a Fourth Edition is published (the full Third Edition appears to have been completed as 19 volumes in 2005 so the account of the High Roman Empire may be assumed to be bang up to date) which, given economic conditions, may take a little while.

Nevertheless, even over forty years out of
Jeff Lambin
Jeff Lambin marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Artem
Artem is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
Nicholas Chase
Nicholas Chase marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Q
Q marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Dr, Salah
Dr, Salah marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Sebastian
Sebastian is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2014
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Al
Al is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2014
Ron
Ron is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Creighton
Creighton marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Tsunami
Tsunami marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Tom Schneitter
Tom Schneitter marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jon Siviter
Jon Siviter marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Paulina Łowczak
Paulina Łowczak marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Sunil
Sunil marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
sinuntu
sinuntu marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Elise Blomberg
Elise Blomberg marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Asldkfjkl;
Asldkfjkl; marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Jer
Jer marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Iorwerth Eiddon Stephen Edwards CBE, FBA— known as I. E. S. Edwards— was an English Egyptologist considered to be a leading expert on the pyramids.

Edwards attended Merchant Taylors' School where he studied Hebrew and later at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge Cambridge University, gaining a 'First' in Oriental Languages. He was awarded the William Wright studentship in Arabic and received his
More about I.E.S. Edwards...
Treasures of Tutankhamun: National Gallery of Art, Field Museum of Natural History & the University of Chicago, New Orleans Museum of Art The Pyramids of Egypt (Penguin Archaeology) Tutankhamun, His Tomb and Its Treasures The Treasures of Tutankhamun The Cambridge Ancient History, Volume 2, Part 1: The Middle East & the Aegean Region c.1800-1380 B.C.