Start by marking “Kingmaker” as Want to Read:
Kingmaker

Kingmaker

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  404 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
I build levers to move objects that appear to be immovable.

Alexei Drovosek represents the next evolution of human: no heart, immunity to cancer, and the uncanny ability to survive in conditions that would kill normal men. As an orphan growing up in post-Soviet Russia, Alexei was taken in by the state and trained as its most vicious and effective killer. But eventually the
Published August 13th 2013 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Kingmaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingmaker

Rolando
Aug 06, 2013 Rolando rated it it was amazing
Cantrell's best novel, yet! I don't usually write reviews, but this novel deserves one. This is a sci-fi thriller that gets your attention right off the bat. What's scary is that most of the tech will exist in the near future, I estimate. Can't wait for the sequel!
Kevin C
Jul 22, 2015 Kevin C rated it it was ok
Kingmaker was a book with some really good ideas, really fascinating research on emerging technology, and awesome setups. However, it also features an incredibly choppy flow with little eye for pacing, a satisfying storyarc, or proper followthrough on any of that promise. It was inconsistent with tone and was really start-and-stop with energy and excitement. The focus characters weren't fleshed out enough for me to care about any of them, and the ending fell incredibly flat. It was one of those ...more
Jonathan
Oct 05, 2013 Jonathan rated it liked it
I pre-ordered Kingmaker because the blurb sounded really good. The premise is very intriguing and only a slight distortion of the world as it is. The whole idea of the U.S. as a psuedo-democracy plays on recent events, whether this was intentional or not I've no idea, but it makes the story more relevant and relatable.

The main character Alexei is an orphan without a heart, in it's place is a mechanical pump which runs silently, allowing Alexei to play dead. This apparently was very useful to hi
Beau Raines
While the premise of this book is great, it falls short on the delivery. Alexi is a Russian assassin who is building a network in the US, a network of resources that well grow up in the place that they are needed and be caked into service when they are needed.

But the book skips out on character development and the flow of time is never certain - what could take months is often covered in a few pages, other times years pass in between chapters.

The future setting, while populated with autonomous c
Karen
Feb 23, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
I was really torn on this book. It grabbed me at the start and I really thought I was going to like it more than I did. The main character is well developed but the book goes into too many tangents and takes too long to get to the point. The relationship between The main character and his nemesis is not as well developed and it's hard to understand how/why the nemesis makes the choice he does at the end. That may sound confusing but I'm trying to say it in a way that does not include spoilers. I ...more
John Mann
Kingmaker by Christian Cantrell is a near-future novel about a rogue Russian assassin named Alexei who is raising a facility of orphans to be instruments of world change. Alexei uses a secret compound near Los Angeles to house these orphans, and with the help of many instructors and caregivers, is able to strategically release the trained orphans in places where they can apply the right force. While I believe that the book was primarily a sociopolitical drama, there was plenty of science fiction ...more
Tony Parsons
May 03, 2014 Tony Parsons rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Alexei Drovosek (lion, woodcutter, tin man) was an orphan from the Soviet Union. He is not your normal human being. He has no heart, is immune to cancer & Alexei can survive most conditions that would kill most humans.

The Russian Federal Security Service (RFSS) trained him to be a highly skilled assassin. He ended up turning against them & disappeared. He resurfaced in LA at Pearl Knight Industries, which is an international corporation that keeps war machines & cultural capitalism
Mihir
Nov 21, 2013 Mihir rated it it was ok

Kingmaker by Christian Cantrell is a book that has a very intriguing concept and the blurb highlights it perfectly. The story starts of with Alexei Drovosek, who decides to plan for a better future and not worry about current geo-political concerns. He decides to use children as his opening move to stabilize the future. The story then details all of Alexei's tricks and turns to manipulate the future however the story execution is what makes the story falter.

I enjoyed the idea behind the story a
Chad
Jun 06, 2014 Chad rated it it was amazing
This guy is a brilliant visionary. I've read all of this stuff, and this is the best one yet. Perhaps a little hard to follow for some, but I feel it is very worth your time if you like hard sci-fi. This guys goes unsung, but he is predicting the future in my opinion, like some of the authors from the early 20th century did.
Lee Pierce
May 27, 2014 Lee Pierce rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in less than 8 hours. It was excellent and I cannot wait for him to write more! He knows his tech and had a fantastic plot that really fits current issues facing our country and the world.
John-isaac Clark
May 05, 2015 John-isaac Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Christian Cantrell and this was one of my favorites. While various reviewers may think the ending trite, I found it very much in character with the central character. Great read.
David Martin
Jul 10, 2015 David Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different storyline

Interesting read. A bit hard to follow as each core character took center. But I enjoyed it a lot. Off to purchase another by this author.

Alaina
Oct 11, 2014 Alaina rated it liked it
I found the story quite interesting. What knocked it down from a four star or even five star rating was the inexplicable changing of tenses (time and perspective).
Joshua
May 09, 2015 Joshua rated it it was amazing
The way the timeline went was a bit confusing at times but the story was great!
Sofi Metskhvarishvili
Jan 29, 2014 Sofi Metskhvarishvili rated it did not like it
too much technical stuff that makes it kind of boring, it was like watching adoption of book into move and too much stuff lost in a proses .
Nat
Jan 26, 2014 Nat rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
An interesting idea, but slightly disappointing in the execution. The plot line was chaotic and jumped around too much and the end was left a little too open.
Gwen
Jan 24, 2014 Gwen rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book ,through a Goodreads giveaway. In NO WAY does this effect my review, rating, or opinion.

Democracy & Freedom are the key concepts in this book, and when adding the most sensitive personal element any human being can, Children. . . it immediately draws you in. This is a thought provoking book with yes, some confusion here and there, but not with out explanation or insight. **I happened to be reading "Enders Game" at the same time as "Kingmaker" and I hope it does NOT
Huarachez Intelectualez
Jan 05, 2016 Huarachez Intelectualez rated it it was amazing
Best Book I read in 2015.
Kemal Whyte
Jun 30, 2015 Kemal Whyte rated it it was amazing
Great book on the paths to revolution.
Sa
Jan 30, 2015 Sa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
meh

Kind of disjointed. I had to really focus at times to keep interests in the story. This author has other better stories. This one was just ok for me.
Melina
Oct 29, 2013 Melina rated it it was ok
good plot line, non-existent development of the characters. even at the end of the book, I didn't have the slightest idea why the main character did what he did, or even what was that he wanted to do. I didn't know why the main antagonist did what he did, and why he became an antagonist in the first place. It might be that the author wanted to maintain a mystery, or set the foundations for a series. Whatever he wanted to do, the book could do from some serious character and plot development.
David Sergey
Aug 30, 2013 David Sergey rated it liked it
First of all, I did enjoy the story, more than once for some reason story reminded me of Metal Gear Solid scenario, paranoid, reminiscent of thriller only slightly cheesy in places (and aware of itself). I think that author should work on his dialogue, mostly it sounded awkward, and in places, especially between two mercenaries, and dialogue with a president at the end felt out of place, and could've cut.

I would love to give a book 2.7 stars, above average but not by far.
Jason Lewis
Dec 06, 2013 Jason Lewis rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
An interesting approach to telling a story of this genre, Cantrell takes the reader through the awkward twists and turns that can leave readers continually guessing as to what may happen next. Can at times be confusing as to where in the story one may be, eventually all of it is brought together linking the characters and story lines throughout the book.
Rune
Dec 12, 2015 Rune rated it liked it
Shelves: futurum, fantasy
Interesting plot in Kingmaker! Perhaps not my favorite "wrapping" as the plot is set in a near future techno advanced environment. However, really liked the idea this book is based around and have no problem recommending it to both those interested in intricate political- and high tech spy thrillers.
Barnabas Piper
Dec 11, 2013 Barnabas Piper rated it it was ok
Meh. Interesting premise bogged down by distopian political agenda descriptions and lengthy passages about speculative technology. I suppose it is the kind of book some readers love. I had to skip pages here and there to get to the interesting bits, the parts about people.
Jack Webb
Jan 14, 2015 Jack Webb rated it really liked it
Good book that is thought provoking and intriguing from the start.
Lars Hansen
Oct 08, 2013 Lars Hansen rated it really liked it
It's a very interesting story told in a rather unconventional way. I thought it was very well done, and I'm looking forward to reading more of Cantrell's books.
Chad Chamberlain
Mar 26, 2014 Chad Chamberlain rated it really liked it
The first half of the book was rather slow and it took me awhile to care for the characters, but the last half flew by. Overall pretty good book.
Ohboof#inghoo!
Apr 20, 2014 Ohboof#inghoo! rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! As a matter of fact, I loved it SO MUCH that I decided to read another Christian Cantrell book!
Lori
Feb 05, 2014 Lori rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I could not finish this book. I tried. It goes off in to way too much detail about things I care nothing about...
  • I Kill Monsters (Nowak Brothers #1)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 2: Awakening (Spinward Fringe, #2)
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • Particle Horizon
  • Against the Light
  • The Curve of The Earth
  • Empty Space (Empty Space Trilogy #3)
  • Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes #1)
  • Starship's Mage: Omnibus (Starship's Mage, #1)
  • Hannu Rajaniemi: Collected Fiction
  • Secrets of the Proverbs 31 Woman: Fresh Perspectives on Biblical Wisdom for Women
  • Far North (Fire & Ice, #2)
  • The Man That Time Forgot
  • Going Grey
  • Xterra Conspiracy - Book #1
  • Smokin' Dragsters and Funny Cars
  • Forces From Within & Without
  • Rys Rising (Rys Rising, #1)
Christian Cantrell is a writer and software developer living in Northern Virginia.
More about Christian Cantrell...