Start by marking “Temptation” as Want to Read:
Temptation

Temptation

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,114 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
A wonderfully sardonic and nightmarish tale of a Hollywood success story gone wrong, from the bestselling author of State of the Union.

Like all would-be Hollywood screenwriters, David Armitage wants to be rich and famous. But for the past eleven years, he’s tasted nothing but failure. Then, out of nowhere, luck comes his way when one of his scripts is bought for television
Published August 1st 2006 by Hutchinson (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Temptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temptation

Asghar Abbas
Feb 01, 2016 Asghar Abbas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

After finishing Oliver's superb Vanishing Girls, an abundantly well written gem of a novel, I needed to detox and recover emotionally, haha don't laugh. But I still wanted to read a human book before doing any dancing with the fae again. So I read this because people in Kennedy's books are more human than the humans around us.

As I read this, this about ups and downs of being a writer and the usual pitfalls, it felt like a milder version of Fools Die and oddly enough our hero sounded like Dexter
Arah-Lynda
3.5 stars.
Nicola
Mar 25, 2008 Nicola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of higher quality easy-reading books!
Having read several other Douglas Kennedy books I thought I'd give this one a go and wasn't disappointed. This is the first one I've read that wasn't written from a woman's perspective (something I found particularly impressive about the other books seeing as the writer is a man) but it was still a pageturner. Didn't make me think as much as his other books, but was still worth the read.
Susanne
I remember where I was whilst reading this book, my husband and I were house sitting for a friend, I was pregnant and kept getting interrupted by my now son doing summersaults when I was in bed trying to read! Other than that I remember thinking that this book was a bit tame, lame, disappointing compared to his earlier works.
Tracey Tester
I've read quite a few books by this author and this was the first one that wasn't written from the female perspective - perhaps that was why I didn't enjoy it quite as much as previous books.

The story line was okay - but I did feel it was fairly predictable.
Denise
Jan 30, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Witty, dark humor, good plot, great character development
Recommended to Denise by: Nobody
Shelves: fiction
I'm relatively new to Douglas Kennedy but I have not been disappointed by any of his books. This book is no exception. It's the story of an aspiring writer who made the big time, lost it and then got it back again. Loved it!
Megan
Sep 16, 2007 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Kennedy though not quite enjoyable as 'State of the Union', to be fair, 'State of the Union' was partly set in the late 60's and that might have something to do with why I preferred it.
Melissa S
Dec 15, 2011 Melissa S rated it really liked it
Another very enjoyable read! There is something about Douglas Kennedy books, each one keeps me captivated till the final page.

Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
May 26, 2012 Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Temptation by Douglas Kennedy is a fictional book which takes the reader on a ride from the height of success to the lows in life. What happens when a gilded door opens to a man who suddenly has ample opportunities and Hollywood clout?

David Armitage, a Hollywood screen writer, has gotten his big break. One of his scripts was bought for TV and hailed as ingenious.
David reinvents himself, walks out on his wife and daughter and is hired by Philip Fleck, a billionaire, to work on a very strange coll
Jillian
Aug 03, 2012 Jillian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I keep scratching my head and wondering why it is that every other review I’ve read of this book talks about how utterly amazing it is and I keep asking myself why I felt bored while I was reading it. Other reviews of Temptation: A Novel by Douglas Kennedy discuss how “thrilling the ride” is while turning the pages and how they were “enraptured by the story” and I just keep thinking, “Really? Because I had a hard time forcing myself to pick it up.”

Initially, the story did start off with a promis
Rebecca Haslam
The first book I read during my week away, I picked up this book on the back of having read his previous work 'The Pursuit Of Happiness' and was surprised at the change in his writing and the story.
I identified with this book in the sense that it tells the story of a man who reaches the biggest heights of success, that many of us can only dream of, before being faced with a struggle to maintain his position - haven't we all had to fight for something we've worked hard for now and again?
The book
Matthew Schroth
Temptation is a classic tale of the dangers of ambition. David Armitrage, the main character, struggles for much of his early career in virtual anonymity trying to make it as a screenwriter. Finally he gets his pay day, and is quick to forget those who stuck with him through the hard times to get him there. Only David forgets that fame is cheap and Hollywood fickle. The stars quickly align to give David his comeuppance.

Kennedy is a brilliant writer, and the reader is quick to sympathize with Da
Nolagirl
Aug 13, 2012 Nolagirl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The lesson of this book is, "Be careful what you wish for. You might get it." David Armitage, a struggling screen writer, finally gets his big break and becomes an in-demand Hollywood writer with all of the benefits that go along with the job. He suddenly has more money than he's ever had in his life, entry into all the glamorous places, and attention from very important people. Of course, the success doesn't last and David soon finds himself alone and penniless again.

The plot is very predicta
Roxana Cora
imi place foarte mult Kennedy Douglas, dar romanul Tentatia m-a dezamagit profund. Un fel de basm fara sare si piper, fara nimic special de memorat. Romanul mi s-a parut foarte lung, previzibil. Recunosc ca am sarit pagini intregi, fara sa pierd ceva din subiect. Am zis sa mai incerc ceva de el, Identitati furate, poate voi regasi scriitorul atat de drag mie!
Lucinda
Mar 23, 2012 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accessible and relateable to anyone who suffers from too much ambition: As a complete departure from his earlier book, THE MOMENT, an epic historical novel I also loved, based in Cold War Era Berlin, TEMPTATION demonstrates Douglas Kennedy's creativity and writing abilities in adapting to an entirely new subject matter: the insidious world of Hollywood, the corruption and "temptation" of fame, the illusion of success that is never quite as good as it seemed from afar. I think of the anti-hero Da ...more
Shuzhan
Feb 11, 2012 Shuzhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I found it hard to relate it to any part of my life, and I was not quite satisfied with the ending ( a bit of cliché, I thought, and Martha and he didn't work out in that way.), still this book is worth a try.

From this book, I learned 5 things.
1, Never remarry.
2, Being responsible for your children.
3, Sometimes things just happen. Let it be.
4, (As the ending suggests, forget about pondering all such impossible questions), working is the best remedy.
5, Have a grateful heart.
Linnet
Jul 09, 2012 Linnet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After 13 years of trying, David Artmitage finds success in Hollywood with a tv show. He is making big money, and leading the life he's always dreamed of. He leaves his wife and daughter, latches on to a woman influential at the Fox Network and basks in fame and fortune. But the tide always does turn, and David discovers what and who) really matters in life.
Marian
Nov 16, 2013 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Kennedy's characters embark on long, complex, provocative journeys, and their ultimate strength is that - like the writer - they can throw off bright sparks in the dark." - Colum McCann. I don't know why it took me so long to discover Douglas Kennedy, but I'm glad I did!
Wolfgang
Feb 07, 2016 Wolfgang rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Kennedy is my favorite "cotton candy" suspense novelist. Unfortunately, this one is not at all in the same league as "The Job" or "A Special Relationship", "The Big Picture" or "State of the Union". "Temptation" has a similar plot line as some of the others - super-successful guy, get conspired against, falls deep and takes revenge. It's good page-turner stuff, but this one seems to have been written in rush, almost like on of these contract fulfillment script jobs that the main protagon ...more
Maryse
Dec 22, 2011 Maryse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I was a bit disappointed. I had enjoyed 'A Special Relationship' very much and expected more from this author. However by the middle of the book I became hooked and very much enjoyed the second half.
Donna Huber
This was an entertaining read. Douglas is an excellent storyteller. Read my full review at Girl Who Reads .
Ann
Jul 05, 2008 Ann rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008
What a slow and boring book. I could not finish it it was getting more and more tedious. I did get half way and maybe it gets better but there is too much out there to read.
Judith Giordan
Aug 10, 2011 Judith Giordan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Un peu long à demarrer comme les 2 autres que j'ai déjà lu...

Je n'accroche décidement pas...
Sarah Ryda-Corbett
Urgh
nine
Dec 22, 2009 nine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translated
pas le meilleur de l'auteur que j'aie lu jusque là, mais douglas, quoi !
Leini
Mar 10, 2014 Leini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is such an interesting book. It describes a man's success and fall in life. It conveys the theme that success is not eternal. The most interesting about this book is the character, Philip Fleck. He is such an odd person and I wondered if there exists such a man in the world. Also, its realistic description of internal conflicts of a man regarding choices for success is awesome. I highly recommend this book to everyone regardless of age or gender. You will be able to explore human's desires of ...more
Paola
Feb 17, 2008 Paola rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lori
From lit agent
Anne Claire
Jan 02, 2015 Anne Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hollywood, comme chacun sait, tout va plus vite, plus haut, plus fort ! Les succs peuvent tre soudains et tonitruants, les chutes foudroyantes. David Armitage, scnariste en qute de reconnaissance va en faire la redoutable exprience... Alors qu'il crit depuis plus de dix ans des textes qui ne recueillent que l'indiffrence des grands pontes de l'usine rves, l'impensable se produit : son dernier scnario est achet par une chane branche du cble. Sa srie adapte se rvle un fabuleux succs public et cr ...more
Kellie
I think this was the 3rd Douglas Kennedy books I've read. It wasn't as good as the others, but it wasn't terrible. The thing I liked most about it was the lesson it taught. When people gain fame and fortune, they lose themselves. They are so caught up in the fame and money they lose sight of the person they are. Sometimes they end up more unhappy then before they had the money. David Armitage is a Hollywood writer, married with a young daughter. Over the years, he has barely made ends meet. When ...more
  • River's End (The Inn at Shining Waters, #3)
  • Landslide
  • The Road to Mercy
  • Gallagher's Hope (Montana Gallaghers, #2)
  • The Angel & the Brown-Eyed Boy
  • Stella and Dane: A Honky Tonk Romance
  • Key to Love
  • Prelude to Reveille:  A Vietnam Awakening
  • Haunting Obsession
  • A Dash of Murder (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #1)
  • Mother of Pearl
  • Share the Moon (Blue Moon Lake, #1)
  • She Wulf (Annie Loves Cham, #2)
  • Pitch Imperfect
  • An Amish Christmas Quilt
  • And Something Blue (Main Street Merchants #1)
  • An Intimate Murder
  • Millicent Marie Is Not My Name
Douglas Kennedy was born in Manhattan in 1955. He studied at Bowdoin College, Maine and Trinity College, Dublin, returning to Dublin in 1977 with just a trenchcoat, backpack and $300. He co-founded a theatre company and sold his first play, Shakespeare on Five Dollars a Day, to Radio 4 in 1980. In 1988 he moved to London and published a travel book, Beyond the Pyramids. His debut novel The Dead He ...more
More about Douglas Kennedy...