Tea Leafing (#1)
read excerpt

Tea Leafing (#1)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  22 reviews
What if you had to live life anonymously? Hide your job? Know your friends by pseudonyms? Be vigilant to make sure you aren’t being watched or followed? This is life for our four main characters, Sam, Grace, Birdie, and Mary Jane. They are exotic dancers living in Atlanta, and life is pretty good until one of their own is murdered.

In their search for the murderer, they unc...more
Published March 21st 2013 by Weezie Macdonald

Linda
Dancers in a "Gentleman's Club" crack the case and plot revenge when international crime strikes one of their own. When one of their friends is found murdered, the four detectives in six inch heels--and not much else--uncover the Russian Mob's money laundering racket and even the score. Funny and fast paced. This is a great read.
Chanticleer Book Reviews Editorial
In her debut novel, Tea Leafing, Weezie Macdonald demonstrates extraordinary skill in deftly weaving the multifaceted personalities and lives of a quartet of friends—exotic dancers (or strippers, as you will) at a high-end gentlemen's club in Atlanta. It is an intriguing thriller of local graft, mafia-style murder, international drug rings, money laundering, and revenge.

Juxtaposed with the shadier side of Tea Leafing is the story of these women's' loyalty to each other, clever sleuthing, and det...more
LK
So much fun! Fast paced and as delicious as french fries. I stayed up way past midnight finishing it the other night. Just couldn't stop till it was all gone...

I love the specifics about the industry and I enjoyed the characters -- really vivid. I love that the glitz of the club is totally balanced by the pragmatism of the girls. And while I've not been an exotic dancer, I could completely relate to Sam's breaking away from her upbringing and yet it being so important to her. I would guess a lot...more
Melissa Rolf
Tea Leafing, by Weezie MacDonald, was a very well written story that transplanted me into unfamiliar territory, but the author weaves the story so well, you feel as if you are there- it is home. With a fantastic class of characters that jump from the pages and into your heart, Tea Leafing leads you down a carefully paved road with suspense, humor, mystery and intrigue making this a great beach blanket read for summer! I highly suggest this book.

-Melissa R.W
Mkto, MN
Shereena
I received this book through GoodReads' First Reads Contest. A big thank you to the author for providing me with a signed copy!

WOW. What a READ!

The story was a little slow at the beginning, but picked up and snowballed with suspense until the very end. I was hooked on the last half of it and couldn't put it down! I appreciate Weezie's ability to phoenetically show through dialogue the accents different characters had. Their individual personalities were also well developed and easily distinguis...more
Corina
Aside from a few typos (very few), this was much better than I had anticipated. The one thing I felt was a little overdone was all the detail about the strip club and strippers. It was almost as if the author did tons of research then crammed every bit of it in, even though it wasn't all necessary.

However, the plot was believable and engaging.

The story takes place in an Atlanta strip club. Near the very beginning we find out that one of the strippers, Lena, has been found murdered execution sty...more
Ashley Irby
I received this book free through First Reads.
This was a perfect fast-paced quick read. Lots of mystery & suspense - Kept me flipping pages to find out what would happen next.
Also a big thank you to Weezie for signing it! (:
Alice Of Wonderland
I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.

Tea Leafing is a rather long book after a rather long weekend. Running around four hundred pages or something like that, I spent most of my Saturday (yeah, it was awhile ago) trying to finish the book without being seen by relatives. You know relatives right? Those are the people who are trying to talk to you and draw you away from your reading roll.

Tea Leafing has nothing to do with tea leafing. It's not a predicting the future story. It's more of a con...more
Jacque
Really, really liked this book. It is a fun read, great characters, good plot, beautifully set up for the next book. Can't wait to read the sequel. Way to go, Weezie!
Kimberly Taubner
I really enjoyed this book. Aside from some typos and some things that seemed random, it was very good. It great easy summer read.
John Lee ii
Great story! Couldn't put it down. Hope there's a sequel!
Dave
Full disclosure - I received this as a First-Reads Giveaway.

While this was a good book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, I would not rate it a top-tier mystery, character story, or adventure. There was very good character development and interaction, but it seemed to fall short of real insight. Dialogue was very good, and fit the characters well. The lifestyle of the strippers and others was very plausible, as were some of the aspects of the club - other aspects were very implausible.

The pace of the...more
Sandi Burch
A five star review for "Tea Leafing" by Weezie Macdonald

Dear Readers: What if you had to live life anonymously? Hiding your job? Knowing all your friends by pseudonyms? Being constantly vigilant to make sure you aren't being watched or followed? This is life for our four main characters, Sam, Grace, Birdie, and Mary Jane. They are exotic dancers living in Atlanta, and life is pretty good until one of their own is murdered.

In their search for the murderer, they uncover a darkness lurking just bel...more
Julie Wilken
Very interesting first novel! Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Joyce
Very clever character and plot development.
Easy reading, cannot figure out the ending until the end.
Interestingly contemporary in plot and characters.
Really enjoyed the writing.
Gina Benway
this book had me hooked from the start! The main 4 characters keep me on the edge of my seat, Sam was my favorite. This is a must read! You will not be disappointed!! I hope there is more to come, would love to read more about, Sam, Birdie, Grace and MaryJane! This is deff one of my favorite new books!!!
Rosie Mcclurg
I received this book from the author and I so enjoyed it and could not put it down. The girls in the book all had such unique personalities and close friendships, only caring and wanting to protect each other. I loved the twist and turns on how they figured out what to do to get back at those who were involved in killing their friend. Really a good read and look forward to your next. Thank you again for the opportunity to sit and relax with such a good book. Rosie Mc Clurg
Carol
First of all, I am new to Goodreads and I received this book for free signed by the author. That was a very nice surprise.The book kept my attention and I have to say the characters were lively and interesting, especially Birdie.Since the previous reviews are quite accurate, there is no need to explain it again. I do look forward to your future books Weezie.
Marie
The concept was there, but the rest was just really boring for me and hard to get into and to really care about what was happening. Birdie was a great character though. I liked her. The rest of the characters were a little forgettable though. This book was very long and very dull.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I won this from a Goodreads Give away
Pam
What a page turner. This is a great read and a fascinating peek behind the scenes.
Amanda
Mar 24, 2014 Amanda marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
Won as part of the Goodreads first reads program. Can't wait to read it!
Nicole
really good story!
Helna
Helna marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Micielle
Micielle marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jun 26, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
  • My Deliberate Mistake
  • Heard It Through the Grapevine
  • Wherever You Go, There You Are
  • Grumpy Old Wizards (Grumpy Old Wizards, #1)
  • Because Of You
  • 21st Century Yoga: Culture, Politics, and Practice
  • Witch Hearts
  • The Rules of Dreaming
  • The Pocket Scavenger
  • Lost in Suburbia: A Momoir: How I Got Pregnant, Lost Myself, and Got My Cool Back in the New Jersey Suburbs
  • When the Butterflies Came
  • Taken by the Passion (The Academy Series #3)
Tea Leafing: A Novel