Start by marking “Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)

Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles #3)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  7,195 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
In this long-awaited new novel in The Halfblood Chronicles, fantasy greats Norton and Lackey tell the enthralling story of the reclusive elvenlord Kyrtian, who emerges as a hero in a world torn by politics and war. When his cousin, Aelmarkin, tries to prove that Kyrtian is unfit to run his estate, the plan backfires, and soon Kyrtian, who doesn't share the venal, greedy na ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 471 pages
Published October 19th 2003 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2002)

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHis Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
Best Book With or About Dragons
52nd out of 536 books — 620 voters
Moon Called by Patricia BriggsCry Wolf by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound by Patricia BriggsLone Wolf Rising by Jami BrumfieldMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Werewolves, Witches, Dragons and More
136th out of 505 books — 395 voters

More lists with this book...

lyybravo
Jul 16, 2007 lyybravo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy/scifi lovers
Shelves: fantasy
Let not this cheesy cover fool you! Published only a few years before the legendary Andre Norton died, this is the final episode of a trilogy started long ago. For those tired of immortal, wise, nice elves, this is refreshing - the elves are the bad guys. Altogether a nice, relaxing read. I'd recommend the whole Elvenbane series for any fantasy/scifi lover.
Kara
Jan 20, 2009 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In the fantasy genre there are two types of elves.

The first type are short, tend to wear lederhosen, love to sing songs as they hang around workshops or gardens, are very loyal and diligent, and often have an amusing accent and amusingly odd shaped noses.

The second type are tall, thin, pale, and gorgeous, well dressed, good archers, very good at magic, and very well assured of their high ranking social status.

The Halfblood chronicles take the second type of elves to a whole new level. In this s
Lissibith
Oct 02, 2013 Lissibith rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novel
As with the second book in this series, this one distinguishes itself from the first by introducing a new character who I found far more interesting than those we were given in the first volume. In this case it's Kurtian, an elf with the unlikely hobby of drilling his humans in military maneuvers. And as with the second book, this one is at its best when indulging in the unique perspective brought by this new character.

In a great many other respects, this book is competent but not great. The pl
Leslie Pringle wrrldgrrl
Once again a sloooooowwwwww start then off on a quest which turned into a covert operation based on Kyrtian's need to have a definitive answer to his father's disappearance. I found the switch of purpose to be, while not quite surprising, not quite believable either. This did lead to a rather climactic ending which I must admit, I hadn't quite seen coming. So well done with the twist.
LaShana seemed absent from this story. But in the middle it became obvious that she was being portrayed as more
Aug 23, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
After learning in the first two books about the "evil" elves, it's nice to finally meet a few more of the decent sort. The themes of equality and cooperation are much stronger in this book. I found this one much more interesting than the second book because it comes from a completely different point of view than Shana's.

I hope the fourth book comes out!
Allison
Feb 27, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing
Loved these books & still so disappointed we won't get to read the final book.
Katie Miller
Sep 25, 2010 Katie Miller rated it liked it
Cherry Mischievous
Third book of the Halfblood Chronicles by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey.

Genre: epic fantasy

My Review:
Interesting but not very good.

It took me a long time to read this book. The ending was a bit of an anti-climax. The pleasure is more on the reading of their adventure rather than what happened at the end. The authors are admittedly a good spinner of a tale, but did not quite pull it off in the end, which was rather surprising. This book is almost like a WGC (wild goose chase) that Heroes Adrif
Victoria
Oct 10, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it
I suppose I came to this third book in the Halfblood Chronicles with quite a bit of anticipation. I read the first two books in the series a long time ago, and it was only recently that I saw that the authors had continued on. So, I brushed the dust of my original copies and re-read them so that I would be up to speed for this third volume. And while I enjoyed this addition quite a bit, I think the 2nd book, Elvenblood, remains my favorite of the series. What nettled me the most about this third ...more
Randi
Nov 04, 2013 Randi rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-fun
So, I'd read this trilogy when I was a kid and remember REALLY enjoying it. This time around, though, I kept peeking at the end page number and wondering if I'd missed a fourth book all those years ago. It ends quite suddenly, tied up in a neat little package (except for the overwhelmingly encompassing arc of the tension between Elvenlords and Wizards which was simply dropped) with THIS book's (and in a way the last book's) main opposition disposed of.
The introduction of and focus on the new cha
Gregory Bosch jr.
Feb 11, 2016 Gregory Bosch jr. rated it it was amazing
Probably one of my favorite fantasy books of all time, I enjoyed the half blood chronicles and the characters and plotting portrayed in the pages. I'm legitimately sad they were unable to finish the series. I recommend these books if you love magic, dragons, and fantastical stories about elves and political intrigue. This book combines all of those magnificently.
Blou4432
Aug 10, 2012 Blou4432 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy-other
Lou:
This third book in the Halfblood Chronicles will REALLY throw you off if you're expecting more wizard wars and dragons. I can honestly say that the first time I read this, I HATED the first half of the book. I just kept waiting for everyone to show up, and was quite annoyed that the whole thing was based around an unknown Elven character that had nothing to do with anything in the previous two books. However, eventually our well-loved Halfbloods and dragons show their faces, and knowing tha
April
Ok, so this one irritated me. The humans have been playing a minor role up until now (no power or powers) and this one brought out how this world will never make it. The main elf in this play is good and is nice to his people and oh yeah, has concubines. Of course, he doesn't hit them so it's ok. Er?
Debra Meyer
May 13, 2015 Debra Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it had a few spots I did not even see coming which I really like when that happens. Narrator is clear and easy to understand which goes a long way in my enjoyment of a book
Dan
Nov 13, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one and wish there was more...I really hope Mercedes Lackey gets the fourth book done if only to wrap up a few loose ends.
Tera Martinez
Jun 07, 2016 Tera Martinez rated it it was amazing
A good continuation to the series. I enjoyed it as much as the first.
Janell Wheeler
May 28, 2013 Janell Wheeler rated it liked it
It was much harder to get into this final book in the series. The first 1/3 of the book introduces a whole new set of characters. I realize why and it was important but I just really wanted to get back into the original story line. The author did a good job bringing all aspects together and overall the book had a good ending. I was a little confused by the epilogue but it was a decent story. Not one I would re-read or even buy but a decent story. The ending seemed a bit rushed and the author lef ...more
Lisa Arden
Wish there was more in this series, but I will explore them........
Kasey Sutten
Apr 28, 2015 Kasey Sutten rated it it was amazing
one of my favs of all time. what made me love fantasy!

Hyzenthlay
Jun 14, 2014 Hyzenthlay rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
While it is a fairly satisfying ending to the series as a whole, I'm still left sad and wanting. [sigh]
Sam Gilbert
May 31, 2016 Sam Gilbert rated it it was ok
I was enjoying this book until the ending.
Jack Graham
Feb 12, 2016 Jack Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Best book of the three. Good pacing and flow. never seemed forced as the other two did at times.

Nicely concluded without being all tied up in a bow.
K.L. Pickett
Jun 18, 2015 K.L. Pickett rated it it was amazing
A wonderful series.
Sean Talbot
Mar 12, 2015 Sean Talbot rated it did not like it
this is the third in a series that to this day still feels half done. it was not well done and they got away from what made the first book so great. after the first book they should have not wrote another one as they ruined what I loved about Shana the main character.
Krista Wayment
Jul 25, 2013 Krista Wayment rated it liked it
Much like the previous book this one did not stick in my mind very well. I picked it up not because I liked the first two very much - but because I was curious. I wanted to know what would happen in this book. I do however remember thinking it was my favorite. (Note: There are hints of adult content, and themes. But I found it milder than the first two, from what I recall. But I would not recommend for young readers.)
sj
May 30, 2012 sj rated it really liked it
Probably more of a 3.5 than a 4 but I'm rounding up again, because it didn't feel like a 3 to me.

Many years after the first book came out, we got this one. Not as strong as the first or the second (and the cover is gawdawful), but still better than a lot of other fantasy out there.

Again, I love how cruel the elves are in this series. I think that's my favourite part of this world.
Joe
Apr 23, 2013 Joe rated it liked it
This entire series has great potential, with spectacular characters, but is ruined by lackluster dialogue and abrupt endings to plot lines that seem completely arbitrary. Since Lackey is one of my favorite authors, and I have also enjoyed a number of Norton's books, I was disappointed by this trilogy. They were an enjoyable quick read, but nothing that I will return to anytime soon.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I have to say, I'm glad I read these books late. Had I have to wait for this conclusion for this long, I'd have screamed. This last book is awesome. I love how it all came together. This is a fitting ending to a wonderful story. I liked Kyrtian and found him to be very admirable. I highly recommend this book to fantasy lovers.
Justin
Jul 24, 2010 Justin rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the different approach that this book took in the series. Laying the foot hold down for a much richer history of the elves. The characters are as always enjoyable and Kryitan and Gel being my two favorites in this story. I wonderful end to the Halfblood Chronicles.
Omly
Dec 02, 2007 Omly rated it liked it
Book three of the Halfblood Chronicles, this book has a darker look at the elves and there origins. I felt the beginning was a little slow at times, but the end moves quite quickly. Although things are wrapped up somewhat, there is plenty of room left for further writing.
  • Alta (Dragon Jousters, #2)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Halfblood Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1)
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)

“It isn't wise to be rude to one's mother. She knows everything about your childhood that is potentially embarassing.” 94 likes