Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)

Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  5,619 ratings  ·  44 reviews
In this long-awaited new novel in The Halfblood Chronicles, fantasy greats Norton and Lackey tell the enthralling story of the reclusive elvenlord Kyrtian, who emerges as a hero in a world torn by politics and war. When his cousin, Aelmarkin, tries to prove that Kyrtian is unfit to run his estate, the plan backfires, and soon Kyrtian, who doesn't share the venal, greedy na...more
Mass Market Paperback, 471 pages
Published October 19th 2003 by Tor Books 2003-10-01 (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Elvenborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elvenborn

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingChronicles of Myriad by James Nicholas AdamsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best Book With or About Dragons
27th out of 256 books — 307 voters
Lone Wolf Rising by Jami BrumfieldMoon Called by Patricia BriggsBentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeCry Wolf by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound by Patricia Briggs
Werewolves, Witches, Dragons and More
91st out of 402 books — 226 voters

More lists with this book...

lyybravo
Jul 16, 2007 lyybravo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy/scifi lovers
Shelves: fantasy
Let not this cheesy cover fool you! Published only a few years before the legendary Andre Norton died, this is the final episode of a trilogy started long ago. For those tired of immortal, wise, nice elves, this is refreshing - the elves are the bad guys. Altogether a nice, relaxing read. I'd recommend the whole Elvenbane series for any fantasy/scifi lover.
Kara
In the fantasy genre there are two types of elves.

The first type are short, tend to wear lederhosen, love to sing songs as they hang around workshops or gardens, are very loyal and diligent, and often have an amusing accent and amusingly odd shaped noses.

The second type are tall, thin, pale, and gorgeous, well dressed, good archers, very good at magic, and very well assured of their high ranking social status.

The Halfblood chronicles take the second type of elves to a whole new level. In this s...more
Lissibith
As with the second book in this series, this one distinguishes itself from the first by introducing a new character who I found far more interesting than those we were given in the first volume. In this case it's Kurtian, an elf with the unlikely hobby of drilling his humans in military maneuvers. And as with the second book, this one is at its best when indulging in the unique perspective brought by this new character.

In a great many other respects, this book is competent but not great. The pl...more
Allison
Loved these books & still so disappointed we won't get to read the final book.
Katie Miller
Cherry Mischievous
Third book of the Halfblood Chronicles by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey.

Genre: epic fantasy

My Review:
Interesting but not very good.

It took me a long time to read this book. The ending was a bit of an anti-climax. The pleasure is more on the reading of their adventure rather than what happened at the end. The authors are admittedly a good spinner of a tale, but did not quite pull it off in the end, which was rather surprising. This book is almost like a WGC (wild goose chase) that Heroes Adrif...more
Victoria
I suppose I came to this third book in the Halfblood Chronicles with quite a bit of anticipation. I read the first two books in the series a long time ago, and it was only recently that I saw that the authors had continued on. So, I brushed the dust of my original copies and re-read them so that I would be up to speed for this third volume. And while I enjoyed this addition quite a bit, I think the 2nd book, Elvenblood, remains my favorite of the series. What nettled me the most about this third...more
Randi
So, I'd read this trilogy when I was a kid and remember REALLY enjoying it. This time around, though, I kept peeking at the end page number and wondering if I'd missed a fourth book all those years ago. It ends quite suddenly, tied up in a neat little package (except for the overwhelmingly encompassing arc of the tension between Elvenlords and Wizards which was simply dropped) with THIS book's (and in a way the last book's) main opposition disposed of.
The introduction of and focus on the new cha...more
Blou4432
Lou:
This third book in the Halfblood Chronicles will REALLY throw you off if you're expecting more wizard wars and dragons. I can honestly say that the first time I read this, I HATED the first half of the book. I just kept waiting for everyone to show up, and was quite annoyed that the whole thing was based around an unknown Elven character that had nothing to do with anything in the previous two books. However, eventually our well-loved Halfbloods and dragons show their faces, and knowing tha...more
April
Ok, so this one irritated me. The humans have been playing a minor role up until now (no power or powers) and this one brought out how this world will never make it. The main elf in this play is good and is nice to his people and oh yeah, has concubines. Of course, he doesn't hit them so it's ok. Er?
Janell Wheeler
It was much harder to get into this final book in the series. The first 1/3 of the book introduces a whole new set of characters. I realize why and it was important but I just really wanted to get back into the original story line. The author did a good job bringing all aspects together and overall the book had a good ending. I was a little confused by the epilogue but it was a decent story. Not one I would re-read or even buy but a decent story. The ending seemed a bit rushed and the author lef...more
Lisa Arden
Wish there was more in this series, but I will explore them........
Hyzenthlay
While it is a fairly satisfying ending to the series as a whole, I'm still left sad and wanting. [sigh]
Krista Wayment
Much like the previous book this one did not stick in my mind very well. I picked it up not because I liked the first two very much - but because I was curious. I wanted to know what would happen in this book. I do however remember thinking it was my favorite. (Note: There are hints of adult content, and themes. But I found it milder than the first two, from what I recall. But I would not recommend for young readers.)
sj
Probably more of a 3.5 than a 4 but I'm rounding up again, because it didn't feel like a 3 to me.

Many years after the first book came out, we got this one. Not as strong as the first or the second (and the cover is gawdawful), but still better than a lot of other fantasy out there.

Again, I love how cruel the elves are in this series. I think that's my favourite part of this world.
Joe
This entire series has great potential, with spectacular characters, but is ruined by lackluster dialogue and abrupt endings to plot lines that seem completely arbitrary. Since Lackey is one of my favorite authors, and I have also enjoyed a number of Norton's books, I was disappointed by this trilogy. They were an enjoyable quick read, but nothing that I will return to anytime soon.
After learning in the first two books about the "evil" elves, it's nice to finally meet a few more of the decent sort. The themes of equality and cooperation are much stronger in this book. I found this one much more interesting than the second book because it comes from a completely different point of view than Shana's.

I hope the fourth book comes out!
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I have to say, I'm glad I read these books late. Had I have to wait for this conclusion for this long, I'd have screamed. This last book is awesome. I love how it all came together. This is a fitting ending to a wonderful story. I liked Kyrtian and found him to be very admirable. I highly recommend this book to fantasy lovers.
Justin
I enjoyed the different approach that this book took in the series. Laying the foot hold down for a much richer history of the elves. The characters are as always enjoyable and Kryitan and Gel being my two favorites in this story. I wonderful end to the Halfblood Chronicles.
Omly
Book three of the Halfblood Chronicles, this book has a darker look at the elves and there origins. I felt the beginning was a little slow at times, but the end moves quite quickly. Although things are wrapped up somewhat, there is plenty of room left for further writing.
Rachel
I found this trilogy fascinating. Elves are often flat characters, so I think they read better as often evil. I'm disappointed that there isn't a fourth book; this one doesn't wrap up the struggle between human and elf in any fashion. Still, all three were good.
I enjoyed it. The beginning was too slow-paced and introduced a new character for way too long (13 chapters before it moved on to everyone else). Other than that, it turned out to be a pretty good story.
Judith
One of the better books of this series. It gave much more informaiton onteh Elves and their history. This series is picking up fo rme a bit, I was beginning to get bored after the last book.
Bryce
So it's been a very long time since I've read these books but as far as I can remember I enjoyed them...however, I'm not sure if I'd given them four stars if I were to read them today.
Sean Martin
This is one of those books I loved as a teenager which really didn't hold up for me later. Also, too many continuity issues with the setting between this and previous books in the series.
Wendy
I got bored with this series. I did not like tha way the characters "grew up" into. I dud not finish the series.
Maybe I do not like this type of portrayal of elves...
Sheila Massingale
I'm currently reading the 2nd book in this series--"Elvenblood". These two are both extraordinary authors in their own right--teamed up they are even better!
Lindsay
Another excellent book in the Halfblood Chronicles. The story once again went in a new direction and introduced new, and likeable characters.
Andrea
Final book in a great series - I was sad it ended and actually think there is room for more if only Norton could be there to write it.
Ellen
I don't know if this one is actually worse than the other two, or if it's just that I was so much older when I read it...
  • Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1) Star Man's Son, 2250 A.D

“It isn't wise to be rude to one's mother. She knows everything about your childhood that is potentially embarassing.” 80 likes