Start by marking “Charmed Destinies” as Want to Read:
Charmed Destinies

Charmed Destinies (Lost Continent 0.5)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  858 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Three masters of the fantasy genre present a collection of enchanting stories, filled with adventure, magic, and everlasting love, that includes Mercedes Lackey's Counting Crows, in which Lady Gwynhefar must choose between duty and love when she aligns herself with Sir Elloran, a legendary warrior, as well as Catherine Asaro's Moonglow and Rach
Published November 1st 2003 by Silhouette Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Charmed Destinies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charmed Destinies

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
39th out of 119 books — 135 voters
Annie's Song by Catherine AndersonArcher's Voice by Mia SheridanLover Mine by J.R. WardNever Seduce a Scot by Maya BanksMaybe Someday by Colleen Hoover
Deaf, Mute, Speechless Romance Heroes and Heroines
75th out of 135 books — 380 voters

More lists with this book...

Usako
Mercedes Lackey continues to charm me with her ability to weave fantasty tales. But in the case of her story in Charmed Destinies, I felt that I've read this plot type before. Perhaps it was a bit too predictable initially, similar to historical romance. But then she twists the ending enough to make me love and adore her again.

The second story was disappointing. I couldn't wait to pile through to the end so I could get to the third story. Could have been the dialogue. Perhaps. Something about th
Hana
I was drawn to this book because of Mercedes Lackey, and she delivered a great short novella that I highly enjoyed, with a strong female character and a happy ending, which I have an addiction to. The other two stories in this collection were good in their own right, but the second one didn't enthrall me quite as much as the first did, or the last one, "Moonglow" by Catharine Asaro. "Moonglow" was beautiful and I was very much happy with how the story turned out, and the path the author took to ...more
Doreen
This book is divided into 3 novellas by, in order, Mercedes Lackey, Rachel Lee and Catherine Asano. Ms Lackey starts off with "Counting Crows", a tale set in the Age of Chivalry, and does a really good job. My only problem with it is that, on the back cover blurb, it tells of a Sir Elloran, who never shows up in the actual novella. Typos like that irritate me, but the story itself is well-written and interesting.

I wish I could say the same for Ms Lee's contribution, "Drusilla's Dream." It has a
Nozomi
May 12, 2010 Nozomi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sold
Lackey's Counting Crows was enjoyable, but not memorable. There is nothing special or original about the characters, the plot, the setting, etc. Fortunately, Lackey's writing isn't bad here; normally I feel like she "talks down" to the reader, and it's irritating. 2.5/5.

Lee's Drusilla's Dream was lame. The writing is awful and is something you'd find typical of a Harlequin novel. The plot is the worst part. Basically the main character and the man she likes at her workplace day dream into the sa
Sara
I'd say three and a half stars, really. And someone else might rate them more, but I've never been one for short stories. I know this, so I don't know why I keep trying to read and enjoy them.
The Mercedes Lackey short was the best of the three - quite good. The middle story was definitely the weakling of the bunch; I didn't like the main character and the shifting perspectives were hard to follow. The third story should really have been a full book - it was pretty good, but felt really rushed.
Sh
Emily
Three mid-sized stories. Unfortunately all are equally cliche and difficult to read. I have come to expect so much more from my romance novels.

The first by Mercedes Lackey was why I picked up the book. The story was basic and the 'twist' was very much predictable from the first minute. The characters were heavy handed and shallow.

The second by Rachel Lee popped back and forth between the 'real world' and a dream world that was very Xanth like. I'm not a fan of that series so read this story to
An Odd1
Gorgeous girl, handsome man, both magic, kiss, marry, etc. Lackey favorite, Lee fumbles, Asaro harsh.

1 Counting Crows by Mercedes Lackey
One cawing crow bodes ill, as Gwynnwhyfar and plain stick-straight maid half-sibling Robin enter abode of husband-knight, bound by ceremony with his glove. Bretagne is an abusive lout; her childhood sweetheart Atremus limps, injured protecting his lord. Gwynn, beaten and raped, refuses to retaliate until she overhears treason. (view spoiler)
Rosemarie
This book is well worth the money solely for the last story, which is BY FAR the best. It's so good that I had to go out and immediately try something else by Catherine Asaro. That book was okay, but still not the stunning and mesmerizing story that is "Moonglow." This is also the story that is pictured on the gorgeous cover, by the way.

"Counting Crows," by Mercedes Lackey, is a mostly good read. I really enjoyed it right up until the end, which - while a "happy" ending - was not totally satisfy
Kathy Davie
An anthology of short romantic stories, which end in a charmed life. Unfortunately, it's not so charming for the readers.

The Stories
Mercedes Lackey's Counting Crows is the best of the bunch although it is a bit confusing at first. I kept thinking it was a Valdemar story. It's simply a peek into the life of an unfortunate young woman being used to protect her father's lands by allowing the king to use her as a bargaining chip to encourage a Border Lord to support and defend his royal realm. Natur
Jaymie
I got this for 50 cents at a thrift store in a small(ish) town, where I was staying in a cabin for a few days. Fantasy is my favorite genre, and I like paperback romances from time to time, especially if I want something light to read. This book fulfilled that requirement, yet none of the three stories are really much to write home about when you consider them from a fantasy-inclined point of view.

"Counting Crows" by Mercedes Lackey is the first story. It reminded me of the Montgomery series by
K
I did not know what to expect from this book. But since I love romances, and have recently read, and liked, some of Lackey's stories, I thought to give this one a shot. And only found it okay. The book includes three short stories about magic and love. I liked Lackey's story "Counting Crows" the best w/ "Moonglow" a close second. Despite the above, I had difficulties getting into the stories, and found myself bored. To be fair, I must admit I have never been a big fan of fantsay books so my opin ...more
Carolyn
Picked this up shelf-surfing in the library, thinking it was one I had missed, but nope, was halfway done with it before I went to enter it here on GR and found I had read it before, under a different cover. No wonder it went so fast!
It's still only 2 stars, though the last story (by Catherine Asaro is the best of the three. But she ended up turning this novella into a book, and I've already read that as well, so it was very deja vu. =- )
Kylara Jensen
I read this book for the Mercedes Lackey Story. I enjoyed that story Counting Crows. It was a little dark/weird though. But it had a cute/happy ending.

The middle story by Rachel Lee was actually really weird and I skimmed most of it.

But I enjoyed the final story by Catherine Asaro. It was interesting and kind of cute.

Overall this book was just kind of old 80s esque and somewhat cute but somewhat blah.
Jess
I read this book following Catherine Asaro's Lost Continent series, and got to fall in love with Mercedes Lackey! All three stories are mesmerizing. Lee's short takes you out of the fantasy world for a bit and reflects on how fantasy helps one escape the real world. The other two stories have interesting characters and situations and they are all very well written!
E.
Sep 09, 2009 E. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Counting Crows has one of Misty Lackey's trademark self-reliant heroines forced into a loveless marriage who takes matters into her own hands.

Drusilla's Dream by Rachel Lee blurs the line between reality and cyberadventuring.

Moonglow by Catherine Asaro is quite a twist on a combination of Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella.
Kelly
A good selection for this anthology, all fitting well with the theme. I was inspired to pick up reading more of Catherine Asaro's series, though was disappointed that this short story is from a different angle to the best part of Charmed Sphere.

However, I found this a lighthearted read. It was a break from lots of violence.
Nicole
Sep 23, 2009 Nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: rom
Counting Crows - a likeable, somewhat predictable romance by Mercedes lackey

drusilla's dream - cute, kept me guessing which reality was handling what. a good pick for anyone who daydreams on the job.

Moonglow - already read Charmed Sphere, by Catherine Asaro. So why bother reading this?
Amanda
I bought this book because Mercedes Lackey happened to be featured porminently on the cover. I read all three of the stories inside and enjoyed them. But this volume doesn't rank as one of my favorites. I guess the stories seemed a little dark and less than inspiring than usual.
Shirley Owl
* Liked Mercedes lackey and would get more books by her - story was gritty and clever . Rachel lee story was lacking depth and I would not recommend the story.
Loved Catherine Asaro and want to read more of her. I will read muller and chimes story in the charmed sphere.
Kris
Not as good as I had hoped. I am a big Mercedes Lackey fan, and her story was fine. The second story was more of a modern-day daydream romance, and the third one was also enjoyable. I wish I had read this as a library book rather than purchasing it.
Debbie
I don't think I've ever found a more unbalanced anthology. One really good story by Asaro, one so-so story by Lacky, and one truly awful story by Lee. That last one was so horrible that I had to force myself to keep reading.
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
I read this book specifically for Ms. Lackey's story. It ties into the fae stories I force myself to read. It was okay. The other two authors did not do it for me at all. I can't even remember the stories too well.
Emily
I keep a library of Mercedes Lackey books, but this one didn't stay on the shelf. That should pretty much encapsulate how little I enjoyed this overall. It was ok but not going to be a reread for me.
Caroline
Mercedes and Catherine's stories were worth the read. Rachel's intro said that she didn't start out to write the story that she did. You can tell. Skip the middle story.
Tamara
The Mercedes Lackey story was great, the Catherine Asaro story was good, but the Rachel Lee story was severely lacking.
Fullfaun
Nov 27, 2010 Fullfaun rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any one who wants confirmation to make their own way
Recommended to Fullfaun by: mom
I love the story about the Blind, deaf, mute Prince. I reread, over and over again.
Jan
Stories by Mercedes Lacky, Rachel Lee and Catherine Asaro
--Romance and fantasy
Annette
Picked this up for light reading that was very escapist. And it was cheesy for sure.
Kate
I was hoping for more than three lust-in-the-dust type short stories. It was okay.
Hillary
Aug 13, 2009 Hillary added it
Shelves: library
meh. an easy read, but barely worth the hour it took.
  • The Fire Opal (Lost Continent, #4)
  • The Destined Queen (Umbria, #2)
  • On Fire's Wings (Final Dance, #1)
  • Silver's Lure
  • Horse Fantastic
  • Gossamyr (Changelings, #2)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • Song of Unmaking (White Magic, #2)
  • Sword and Sorceress XII
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts & ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1) By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1) Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3) Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)