Start by marking “Wallis and Edward, Letters: 1931-37: The Intimate Correspondence of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Wallis and Edward, Let...

Edward Windsor

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In January 1931, Wallis Simpson, the American wife of a conventional London businessman, realized the daydream of every middle-class woman in England; in the course a weekend country house party in the English Midlands, she was introduced socially to the great idol of the day, Edward Prince of Wales.

This book relates the most celebrated love story of modern times - that o
Published May 28th 2012 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Wallis and Edward, Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wallis and Edward, Letters

Lady
I give this book five stars only because its editor, Michael Blogh, did what he was supposed to do: compile the personal correspondence of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and publish it for us mere mortals to peruse. Through her correspondence, Wallis revealed herself to be cold-natured, flippant, bossy, self-absorbed, and a very small person mentally - she obsessed over servants, was never satisfied with servants, was constantly on holiday in some exotic locale and complaining that it wasn't He ...more
Sara
This sure cast a more accurate light on the Duchess of Windsor. Apparently she wanted these letters published after her death so people wouldn't continue to see her in a negative light. However, I'm not sure how she thought she would be portrayed with these, because she comes across as a money hungry ogre. There has been so much controversy surrounding the relationship between her and the Duke of Windsor, and this cleared things up for me. She came across as strong, sharp, quick, calculating, an ...more
Astairette
Consisting of many letters written by Wallis Simpson to her Aunt Bessie while Wallis was living in London with her second husband, Ernest Simpson, this book gives a fascinating peek into Wallis' everyday life before she met the (then) Prince of Wales. The letters could be from any lady of her class and social position at that time, but the fact that it's Wallis makes them even more interesting. She becomes "Wallis in Wonderland" as the Simpsons' social life brings them more and more into contact ...more
Alshia Moyez
I've read so much about this couple. This is not really going to be a review because I'm pressed for time right now. However, I'll say that this book was probably written for people who already have a lot of background info on Wallis Simpson & Edward. That has no effect on my rating this 4 stars, though.
Dustincecil
I couldn't get passed the first group of photos. Just lost interest. I was hoping for a more interesting story here.

The book was edited and compiled well, I just didn't find Wallis' situation as captivating as I thought it would be.
Ewa (rvdzik)
I think this book is wonderful for all those who really want to understand what has happened between the future Duke and the Duchess of Windsor. Knowing the story from their point of view is a unique opportunity to understand why Edward has abdicated and what life was like afterwards for them.
Lauren Chong Sng
One feels she got to know the Duchess better by reading her letters. One also sees what a puppy dog the Duke was. After reading so much about them, I see they were quite well matched: "...the Prince yearned for ... a mother's sympathetic attentions..." and, as for the Southern-born Wallis, "she had been taught to cherish and look after her man." I loved this book.
Carissa
Fascinating read! Fact can indeed be stranger then fiction.
Regina
This was the first reading I've ever done on this liaison powerful enough to cause a King to give up his kingdom, and unfortunately, I was not able to glean much insight into the plot or the characters from the letters of Wallis. They were largely matter-of-fact, expressed little opinion, and revealed very little of the inner workings of Wallis. The same goes for the Edward's letters. Perhaps this book would serve as a good companion to some larger biographical tome.
Tammie
I love reading books in letter form and this one is very good. He really loved her. I had heard their story but not in this much detail. A very good read.
Meagan
I've been fascinated by the story of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor for a long time. It was incredible to read their personal letters and to get a peek at their thoughts as this drama unfolded. Their letters to each other aren't quite what I imagined, the Duke comes across as more immature and more needy than the suave, worldly gentleman I had always imagined him to be. Nevertheless this romance was truly one for the ages, and Wallis and Edward will always hold a special place in my heart.
Sherry Thien
Curious, fascinating and tedious all at the same time. This book provided insight into the progression of the romance between Wallis Simpson and Edward, Prince of Wales. Wallis Simpson certainly presented herself as a whining social climber who appeared to have only one destination in mind for herself. I hope they were happy together.
Penn
This was a very interesting book of letters written by Wallis Simpson to her aunt, but also contains letters written between her and her future husband Edward, Prince of Wales, from their first meeting until several weeks before their wedding. There is also information interspersed between the letters that is from their separate memoirs, as well. Fascinating.
Ruby
By turns fascinating and boring, this is certainly a unique perspective on the abdication of Edward VIII. The ending leaves much to be desired, however, as it gives no information on the marriage of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Literally...not a detail to be had.
Courtney
Best. Love story. Ever.
Edward gave up everything for the woman he loved- back in this time it was unheard of that British royalty would give up the throne to marry a woman (an American divorcee none the less) because he was in love with her.

Carol
After seeing "The King's Speech" I wanted to learn more about Wallis and Edward. This book gave me a taste of what they were about and what life was like for them.
Helen Azar
Excellent primary sources. Really gives you a glimpse into their lives, first hand, without anyone's interpretations. For better or worse.
Kris
Good read if you want to see how the Duchess of Windsor REALLY was - not the "poor her, they didn't let her be Queen" crap you can read.
Dianna Weber
Excellent read. For those interested in the subject, you will not be able to put it down.
Kikibeauchamp
Quite a build-up to a less than sub-par ending- what can you expect from royalty?
Linda
Their letters before, during, and after his abducation until their marriage.
Gina
Wow. They wrote really dopey letters to each other.
Thalia
loved it from a social history POV
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Leslie Shupe
Leslie Shupe marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Charlotte Gates
Charlotte Gates marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • The Duchess Of Windsor: The Uncommon Life of Wallis Simpson
  • The Children of Henry VIII
  • The Little Princesses
  • The Watchers: A Secret History of the Reign of Elizabeth I
  • Behind the Lines: Powerful and Revealing American and Foreign War Letters---And One Man's Search to Find Them
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • American Jennie: The Remarkable Life of Lady Randolph Churchill
  • The Last of the Duchess
  • House Of Treason: The Rise And Fall Of A Tudor Dynasty
  • The Old Mermaid's Tale
  • Bella
  • The Sea Captain's Wife: A True Story of Love, Race, and War in the Nineteenth Century
  • Gladstone: A Biography
  • A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra: Their Own Story
  • The Autobiography of Margaret Sanger
A King's Story: The Memoirs of the Duke of Windsor Windsor Revisited عاشق القرن العشرين Letters from a Prince: Edward, Prince of Wales, to Mrs. Freda Dudley Ward The Hindu Art of Love