Start by marking “Food to Live by: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Food to Live by: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook

Food to Live by: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook

Organic food is the best food possible. It's synonymous with premium quality, delicious flavor, conscientious farming, and optimum health. It's what we need to feed our kids, it's what we deserve to feed ourselves. And thanks in part to Myra Goodman, co-owner and cofounder of Earthbound Farm with her husband, Drew, organic food is now available just about anywhere fresh fo ...more
Published November 30th 2012 by Workman Publishing (first published October 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Food to Live by, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food to Live by

Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, cookbook
Food to Live By written by Myra Goodman is one of my favorite cookbooks. While I have many, I find that this book offers many recipes that help make use of fresh ingredients that are both healthful and tasty. Each chapter starts out with a story and information about the particular dishes being made and also includes several beautiful clear photographs.

The book starts out as a somewhat biography on how Earthbound Organics (Myra and her husband's business) got started and their first few years of
Dixie Diamond
Mar 24, 2008 Dixie Diamond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, earthcare
I saw this at a friend's house and she said I could write down a few recipes, but once I started reading through, there were so many that looked interesting that I ended up just buying the whole book.

I'm probably not a very useful cookbook reviewer. I tend to use cookbooks more for ideas and for loose guidelines than for hard-and-fast rules; I am notorious for not following recipes as written. This looks like a good book for starting points, even if you can't find/can't afford actual organic ing
Laurel
Apr 20, 2009 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always had a passion for cookbooks published by Workman and they've outdone themselves this time! This book is packed with delicious-sounding recipes, incredibly mouth-watering photos, informative notes and asides, and personal touches. I'm buying another copy for my sister; I'm too selfish to share mine!

Recipes to try:
Raspberry Cream Scones
Farm Stand Frozen Raspberry Yogurt
Tuscan White Bean Stew with Rosemary
California Salad with Avocado, Apricots, Almonds and Goat Cheese
Farm Stand Greek
Wendy
Jan 17, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the stories about how Earthbound Farms came to be and all of the little sidebar notes and tips. There are a few of the recipes that I'm going to try, but I wasn't overwhelmed with what's in there just because a lot of them have too many steps or ingredients that make them too complicated for me (I'm not much of a cook yet). It did give a great tip on cooking spaghetti squash that I'm excited to try out!
Catarina Gutierrez
Jun 19, 2008 Catarina Gutierrez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies
Recommended to Catarina by: Amazon
This is a great cookbook with an added story of how their family farm came to existence. I loved every bit of it because I've been on a desperate search to eat healthier and find healthier recipes. The story in the beginning was also inspiration to start a business of my own someday and follow my dream. It also has good tidbits on what something means when its certified organic.
Karen
Feb 16, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, cookbooks
I really like this book so far. Some really tasty recipes. However, the way it's organized makes it a little difficult to find recipes, not sure why. Maybe because I'd prefer a photo with every. single. recipe. and this lists multiple recipes per page. ;)
Katy
Apr 14, 2009 Katy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in the process of learning about the benefits of organic living and organic food. Our family is moving in this direction and the introduction of this book, the pictures and recipes make me want to move to California and live off the land...organically, of course!
Mrs.
Nov 03, 2013 Mrs. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Wonderful cookbook. Tons of photos and tasty, healthy recipes with an emphasis on fruits and vegetables. This is not a vegetarian cookbook, but given that the author is a farmer, the emphasis on fruits and vegetables makes sense. One of my favorite cookbooks.
Skeetor
Feb 12, 2016 Skeetor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I love all the Earthbound Farm Cookbooks! This one is loaded with photographs of recipes and helpful articles such as "Field Guide to Great-Tasting Tomatoes" and hints for selecting and using recipe items. I haven't made a recipe from this book that I haven't liked.
Kitten Kisser
Sep 10, 2014 Kitten Kisser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
This book has some amazing recipes. I love the lemon snaps and the ginger snaps. Oh man! Excellent! I made the granola & my husband loves it! It's a beautiful book. Glossy full color pages and hard cover. Generously sized. Lots of yummy recipes! Very happy I bought this.
Elizabeth
Sep 13, 2007 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, non-fiction
A really nice collection of organic-inspired recipes (you don't have to use all organic ingredients, but the books promotes it). A lot of nice vegetarian recipes as well, and plenty of meat options to please others.
Tamsen
Apr 10, 2008 Tamsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook not only gives great recipes, but lengthy stories of the how and why Earthbond Farms became what it is today. I have visited the farm in Carmel Valley. Beautiful!

Susan
Mar 18, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
What I've tried has been good, esp. granola (modified, of course) -- thanks to the lamented Baking and Books blog and EB
Linda Seltenright
Oct 01, 2009 Linda Seltenright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Attention all cookbook lovers...This is full of great recipes & beautiful photographs. Try the Fusion Coleslaw...YUMMY!
Maura
Feb 28, 2008 Maura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I poured over this cookbook for a week and read just about every word in it. The photographs are beautiful and the one thing I've had from it(thanks to Kate!)was incredible.
Christa Klein-Pettis
The peach pie recipe alone is worth the cost of the book. I just wish there was MORE to this cookbook. There really aren't many recipes, but the ones that are included are excellent.
Ann Ward murray
Ann Ward murray rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Emily White
Emily White rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2014
Jennifer Massey
Jennifer Massey rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Matthew Manning
Matthew Manning rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Kylee
Kylee rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2009
Lizzie Peer
Lizzie Peer rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2012
Erin Horan
Erin Horan rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2008
Rona
Rona rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2009
Renee
Feb 26, 2015 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little pretentious but I found some good recipes in it.
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Marcie
Marcie rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2011
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2009
Resa Mccreary
Resa Mccreary rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • The Breakfast Book
  • The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Digestive Health with Real Food: A Practical Guide to an Anti-Inflammatory, Low-Irritant, Nutrient Dense Diet for IBS & Other Digestive Issues
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
  • The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • Home Made Summer
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents (Revised)
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • 660 Curries