Food to Live by: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook

Food to Live by: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Organic food is the best food possible. It's synonymous with premium quality, delicious flavor, conscientious farming, and optimum health. It's what we need to feed our kids, it's what we deserve to feed ourselves. And thanks in part to Myra Goodman, co-owner and cofounder of Earthbound Farm with her husband, Drew, organic food is now available just about anywhere fresh fo...more
Published November 30th 2012 by Workman Publishing (first published October 20th 2006)

Melissa
Food to Live By written by Myra Goodman is one of my favorite cookbooks. While I have many, I find that this book offers many recipes that help make use of fresh ingredients that are both healthful and tasty. Each chapter starts out with a story and information about the particular dishes being made and also includes several beautiful clear photographs.

The book starts out as a somewhat biography on how Earthbound Organics (Myra and her husband's business) got started and their first few years of...more
Dixie Diamond
I saw this at a friend's house and she said I could write down a few recipes, but once I started reading through, there were so many that looked interesting that I ended up just buying the whole book.

I'm probably not a very useful cookbook reviewer. I tend to use cookbooks more for ideas and for loose guidelines than for hard-and-fast rules; I am notorious for not following recipes as written. This looks like a good book for starting points, even if you can't find/can't afford actual organic ing...more
Laurel
I've always had a passion for cookbooks published by Workman and they've outdone themselves this time! This book is packed with delicious-sounding recipes, incredibly mouth-watering photos, informative notes and asides, and personal touches. I'm buying another copy for my sister; I'm too selfish to share mine!

Recipes to try:
Raspberry Cream Scones
Farm Stand Frozen Raspberry Yogurt
Tuscan White Bean Stew with Rosemary
California Salad with Avocado, Apricots, Almonds and Goat Cheese
Farm Stand Greek...more
Wendy
I liked the stories about how Earthbound Farms came to be and all of the little sidebar notes and tips. There are a few of the recipes that I'm going to try, but I wasn't overwhelmed with what's in there just because a lot of them have too many steps or ingredients that make them too complicated for me (I'm not much of a cook yet). It did give a great tip on cooking spaghetti squash that I'm excited to try out!
Catarina Gutierrez
Jun 19, 2008 Catarina Gutierrez rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: foodies
Recommended to Catarina by: Amazon
This is a great cookbook with an added story of how their family farm came to existence. I loved every bit of it because I've been on a desperate search to eat healthier and find healthier recipes. The story in the beginning was also inspiration to start a business of my own someday and follow my dream. It also has good tidbits on what something means when its certified organic.
Mrs.
Wonderful cookbook. Tons of photos and tasty, healthy recipes with an emphasis on fruits and vegetables. This is not a vegetarian cookbook, but given that the author is a farmer, the emphasis on fruits and vegetables makes sense. One of my favorite cookbooks.
Katy
Apr 14, 2009 Katy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in the process of learning about the benefits of organic living and organic food. Our family is moving in this direction and the introduction of this book, the pictures and recipes make me want to move to California and live off the land...organically, of course!
Karen
I really like this book so far. Some really tasty recipes. However, the way it's organized makes it a little difficult to find recipes, not sure why. Maybe because I'd prefer a photo with every. single. recipe. and this lists multiple recipes per page. ;)
Elizabeth
A really nice collection of organic-inspired recipes (you don't have to use all organic ingredients, but the books promotes it). A lot of nice vegetarian recipes as well, and plenty of meat options to please others.
Tamsen
This cookbook not only gives great recipes, but lengthy stories of the how and why Earthbond Farms became what it is today. I have visited the farm in Carmel Valley. Beautiful!

Christa Klein-Pettis
The peach pie recipe alone is worth the cost of the book. I just wish there was MORE to this cookbook. There really aren't many recipes, but the ones that are included are excellent.
Maura
I poured over this cookbook for a week and read just about every word in it. The photographs are beautiful and the one thing I've had from it(thanks to Kate!)was incredible.
Susan
What I've tried has been good, esp. granola (modified, of course) -- thanks to the lamented Baking and Books blog and EB
Linda Seltenright
Attention all cookbook lovers...This is full of great recipes & beautiful photographs. Try the Fusion Coleslaw...YUMMY!
Carolynthrash
I didn't relate to the recipes. Earthbound Farm is a corporation and I am skeptical. It was OK
Kara Smith
Loved this book so much, I gave it to a friend and purchased another one for myself.

Kristin Lee
Many awesome recipes, and really enjoyed reading how this farm got its start.
Renee
A little pretentious but I found some good recipes in it.
Farmer's Daughter
I love the section on raspberries!
Corinne
Corinne is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2014
Shradhanjali  Lama
Shradhanjali Lama marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Salads for Every Season: 25 Recipes from Earthbound Farm The Earthbound Cook: 250 Recipes for Delicious Food and a Healthy Planet Earthbound Farms Green Kitchen Cookbook Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook