Start by marking “Dead And Buried (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #12)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Dead And Buried

Stephen Booth

Dead And Buried (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry #12)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Detective Sergeant Ben Cooper comes closer to death than ever before in this new brand new novel in the Cooper and Fry series.

As moorland fires sweep across England's Peak District national park, hundreds of firefighters and park rangers battle to prevent flames reaching a remote inn, once a famous landmark but now abandoned and boarded up.

The blaze is just one of a serie
Published June 1st 2012 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Dead And Buried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead And Buried

Susanhayeshotmail.com
Two problems with this book, and they are both my problems. One, somehow I must have this author confused with someone else because I can fathom no other reason I would pick up book #12 in a series. It read well enough as a stand alone for the most part, there are no insurmountable big knowledge gaps which is good as otherwise I'd have ditched it pretty early on. Which leads to my second problem. I appear to be in a generally mean and cranky mood this week, I think I scared the tech at the pharm ...more
John Buxbaum
I feel like it's a cop-out to say this is my favourite Cooper/Fry story because it is the newest (until June '13) but...It is!!! What a super story. Stephen Booth has taken things to the next level - on many fronts. You will go places you didn't expect - both in Cooper and Fry's relationship and with Ben's others relationships. But what really will get you is the ending. It is truly epic - Stephen will take you right to the edge (the Devil's Edge . Then he will let you look over that edge. Howev ...more
Deanne
Very hard to put down, a book I read in two days and now I'll have to wait months to find out what happens next. Have to admit a soft spot for Ben Cooper and an intense dislike of Diane Fry.
The Lighthouse is an inn up on the moors, near the old tracks across the land before the modern roads came in. It sounds a bit like The Slaughtered Lamb in an American Werewolf, and there's definitely an element of what can happen when you 'Stray from the path'.
I also like spotting the places I know in Booth'
Douglas Cook
As usual a good read, however this is the saddest of the lot....

first sentences

From a distance, it looked solid – a black wall lying across his path, dense and impenetrable. But as Aidan Merritt drew closer, he could look into its depths. He was able to watch it coil and seethe as the wind drove it across the heather. It was like a vast sooty snake crawling relentlessly over the moor. But he didn’t need to watch it for long to realise it was an illusion. This thing didn’t crawl. Its speed was fr
Kathleen Hagen
Dead and Buried, by Stephen Booth, a-minus, narrated by Mike Rogers, produced by Hachette audio, downloaded from audible.com.

There are fires being set on the moors and in the peat bogs. These are particularly dangerous because a fire can burn underground in a peat bog for years and re-emerge at another time. But Ben’s bigger concern is that a corpse is found in a pub which has been abandoned. There is no reason for anyone, particularly a corpse, to be there. Again, Diane and a crew insert themse
Gloria Feit
As this book opens, firefighters in the Peak District of England are fighting what seems to be a losing battle, trying to contain the flames engulfing this part of Derbyshire, with smoke covering acres and acres of the moors from the catastrophic wildfires that have been springing up, the worst seen in the area in decades, many undoubtedly the result of arson. But to D.S. Ben Cooper, his more immediate problem are the buried items found by the crew working one of the sites, and which appear to b ...more
Lizzie Hayes
‘Dead and Buried’ by Stephen Booth
Published by Sphere, 21 June 2012. ISBN: 978-1-84744-481-3

The twelfth entry in the series featuring Ben Cooper now a Sergeant, and DS Diane Fry brings starkly to our attention the effects of fire in the Peak District in Derbyshire.

Situated in an isolated area is an abandoned pub -The Light House, which has been empty for the past two years. Following the report by one of the fire fighters of a break-in at the abandoned pub Cooper decides to investigate. But a c
The usual ingredients - the multitudinous teaching points, the mixture of being rooted in the landscape but bang up to the minute, the grit in the shoe relationship between Ben Cooper and Diane Fry.

Stephen Booth's world view seems fundamentally good natured and the teach-ins are easy to take in good part. The scenario for this latest offering works particularly well - moorland fires, rural pub closures, holiday cottage visitors. Even if I didn't pass the reality as often as I do, Booth would cre
Bob
I am not a big reader of mysteries but do on occasion enjoy them and pick one up for light reading. Then I prefer true crime to the fictional version. I read the first book in Stephen Booth’s series (Buried is his 12th in the series) “Black Dog” and now have skipped all the way to his latest book. The reason is mainly as a result of reading Mr. Booth’s newsletter to readers where he talked about reader reaction to the ending of this latest book.

In this we find the Peak District burning with larg
S.D.
Fires are burning across the moorland in this next installment in the Ben Cooper/Diane Fry series. The Light House is a pub that has been closed for a couple years but now it is in the path of the fires. Although the police have checked the area as the fires died down, it was Diane who entered the pub and found a body. Diane is her usual ambitious, caustic self and it’s usually Ben who is the target of most of her barbs. Gavin Murfin is counting the days until his retirement and is enjoying trad ...more
Better than the last two books regarding the Cooper/Fry interactions, but this definitely had a whiff of Elizabeth George's With No One as Witness about the ending.

The moors are on fire (never a good thing) and of course there are things uncovered where they burn. Additionally, there's a man's body found in a pub that closed recently - his last phone call referred to Dante's ninth circle of Hell. There are two investigations, one into the recently uncovered effects of two people who disappeared
Andy Plonka
Ben Cooper gets a chance at a cold case with the discovery of new evidence relating to the disappearance of a young couple during a winter snowstorm some years ago, while trying to balance his personal life with Liz a crime scene investigator. Good taste of rural England.
Dianne
An excellent read from a new author for me. A real page turner!This quote from the book jacket says...."Stpehen Booth's relentless new thriller builds to a shock finale that well catch even the most seasoned suspense readers off guard." So true.
Camilla
First Booth book to read. Another hyped up novel by the press. It needed a map. Not all of us are familiar with the B6061 or the A610. I became so confused with east west that I felt dizzy. Sometimes the writing felt like a lot of copy and paste: page276. "it was where David and Trisha Pearson should have been...." And page 278 " Pearsons ought to have been....". I didn't care for the feeling at the end that things weren't tied up. Why didn't the crime scene investigators go through the entire i ...more
Carol Jean
Moody, atmospheric, and well-plotted. Somewhat less of the history of the district than I had come to expect from Booth, but the dramatic background of wildfires on the moor truly makes up for that.
Caroline
Yet another great read from Stephen Booth. The Cooper and Fry series just gets better and better.
In this, the 12th book, Cooper comes close to losing his life and suffers a tragic personal loss.
Keep them coming Mr Booth.
Lela
Stephen Booth is on form in this one. Even the editing is better. Both Cooper & Fry have progressed -- especially Cooper. His engagement & the attachment to Liz have grown stronger. He's ready for the marriage & she's so excited about the wedding. Of course, as always murder and dead bodies get in the way. The descriptions of the Peak District are a bit different as the hills themselves play very little part in this story. Instead the moors are on fire and it could be arson! As the e ...more
John Lee
I had read and enjoyed some of the earlier books of this series but not the most recent but when I found this new release about Edendale life on my bookshelf, courtesy of my wife, I wasn't going to let it leave unread.

An excellent story all taking place within a few miles out on the Pennines. (No flying to exotic places for our author).

I do hope that the red herring that I spotted quite early on was intentional as it kept me looking the wrong way for most of the novel.

That and the powerful final
Debra
I have always liked Stephen Booth's series for its characters (both likeable and otherwise) and sense of place. I simply must visit the Peak District!

When I found his new book was easily available to me (not always the case), I lived large and bought it, despite having already overspent my self imposed credit card limit. No worries. It is worth every penny.

Too many potential spoilers for me to be more specific, but I will be re-reading this one, I am sure.
Tiina
Stephen Booth writes a good story, nothing wrong there.

But I felt that I was a bit lost because I had a lack of background information. The book assumed too much that I would be familiar with the main characters and their relationship, and why Fry hated the countryside so much. At first, I felt guilty for not remembering clearly (because I know I've read Cooper & Fry books before), but then I started feeling irritated. So that's why no more than two stars.
Michelle
review of e-edition for library journal published here:
Ann Chappe
This wasn't my favourite Cooper and Fry novel....the prose seemed a bit laboured and the background Information about the Peak District/ wild fires/ farmers' worries a bit too earnest and heavy handed. The relationship between Cooper and Fry seemed more irritating than usual and Fry herself increasingly lacks any depth or substance as a character. That said, the plot was a good one and the book was entertaining
Jo
Another Brilliant read from Stephen with a seat of your pants ending to this one. If you have come to know the main characters like old friends from previous books there are some big changes happening in this one, and it should be interesting to see how they grow and mature from here.
Stephen I hope this is one of the ones that will make it to tv as I think it would work well.
Kim
Stephen Booth at his best. The vivid descriptions of the moors really bring the Peak District to life. I really enjoy the sparring between Cooper and Fry and this book as no shortage of that. The ending of this one telly makes me want to read the next one. This has 4 stars because there were a few obvious spelling and grammar mistakes that should have been picked up n editing.
Packed with specialities of the peak district - fell running, mines, lonely pubs on the moor, I forget what else. I did wonder if the author was trying to pack everything in to one last book before killing everyone off! However he still hasn't covered well dressing so there's at least one more book left. However I still enjoyed it a lot and look forward to the next one.
David
Still an excellent series but I may be biased being a Derbyshire boy and recognising all the places.
Mike Hyman
I didn't find this Cooper/Fry story nearly as engrossing as previous ones. It certainly wasn't a book where I was making mental excuses for continuing reading it rather than doing something else. It lacked the normally atmospheric descriptions of the Peak District. The usually tense nature of the relationship between Ben Cooper and Diane Fry didn't come across to me.
Bibliophile
Every once in a while I come across a new Fry & Cooper installment at the library, and always check it out. Old habit, I guess. The plots are forgettable and the Peak District setting relentlessly gloomy. Neither Fry nor Cooper seem to change much, and by now it would be nice to lay that "will-they-won't-they" to rest, one way or another.
Gary Van Cott
I still don't understand Diane Fry's animosity toward Ben Cooper. She thought (or said) at one point that he was holding her back. I don't really see it. This book has a shocking (if not entirely unexpected) conclusion. I have read all of the books in this series in the last month or so. I can't wait for the next one.
Anne
I always enjoy Stephen Booth's books set in the Peak District, and in this case the background of moorland fires was timely and realistic. The characters of Fry and Cooper continue to delight and the story moves at breakneck pace, with an explosive finish. A very good thriller.
  • Deity (Damen Brook, #3)
  • A Question of Identity (Simon Serrailler, #7)
  • The Tooth Tattoo (Peter Diamond, #13)
  • The Jackal Man (Wesley Peterson, #15)
  • Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace, #9)
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
  • Blood At The Root (Inspector Banks, #9)
  • Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope, #6)
  • A Pound of Flesh
  • The Coffin Trail (Lake District Mystery #1)
  • Wasted Years (Charles Resnick, #5)
  • Entry Island
  • Death Toll (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine #3)
A former newspaper journalist, Stephen Booth is the creator of two young Derbyshire police detectives, DS Ben Cooper and DS Diane Fry, who have so far appeared in 13 crime novels, all set in and around England's Peak District.

The Cooper & Fry series has won awards on both sides of the Atlantic, and Detective Constable Cooper has been a finalist for the Sherlock Award for the Best Detective cr
More about Stephen Booth...
Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1) Blood on the Tongue (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #3) Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2) Blind To The Bones (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #4) Dying to Sin (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #8)