Start by marking “The Oceans” as Want to Read:
The Oceans

The Oceans

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This exhaustive overview of oceanography captures the excitement of discovery in the making. The Oceans opens up the world of ocean science to the general reader and raises significant questions about the future of the ancient, nurturing ocean itself.The oceans cover more than 70 percent of the globe, yet less than 5 percent of that expanse has been explored. But, as Drs. ...more
Hardcover
Published January 1st 2000 by McGraw-Hill Companies

To ask other readers questions about The Oceans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oceans

Coltrane Bodbyl-Mast
The Oceans, By Ellen J. Prager and Sylvia A. Earle, fails at trying to make things relating to weather in the oceans exciting, although I do enjoy reading about marine species, This book was very much mundane, like a sandwich that tastes terrible, but in that sandwich, there is some delicious cheese inside, such as information about the phantom zone, or metaphors that make you think.

The Oceans at first begins by telling the tale of the evolution of animals in the oceans, and how they became wh
Stephen
Jan 31, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
Seventy percent of the Earth's surface is covered in water, constituting a vast and largely unknown world of its own -- vitally important to ours, but scarcely explored and barely understood. Beneath the placid (but sometimes storm-tossed) surface lay valley with depths that have never been plumbed; volcanic mountains; great beasts whose size staggers the imagination, and creatures so bizarre that they could just as easily hail from another world. The Oceans is a brief but substantial introducti ...more
Jack Dixon
Oct 21, 2013 Jack Dixon rated it really liked it
Shelves:
In The Oceans By Ellen Prager, she writes how the oceans on earth have impacted how are planet lives with natural and biological life once came from the ocean in the process of evolution. The book goes through steps almost like a checklist, that explains how life began in the most abundant material on the surface of the earth.
In the first couple chapters it explains how the wondrous element of water came to be, from a comet of frozen water. Once the ice melted the ocean began to form and very cr
Zach
Jul 20, 2014 Zach rated it it was amazing
This book is an old friend. I spent a lot of hours reading it while at anchor with biologists, It was great for perspective at the time, and helped me transition from a deck ape to an ocean enthusiast!
Issy
Aug 18, 2010 Issy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: resentreads
Best oceanography primer ever. Although I really wish they would update it as a lot has happened in 10 years. This may not seem like everyone's idea of a good read but it was not written like a text book. I found myself exclaiming and bothering those around me with interesting factoids about every other page. The ocean is fascinating stuff.
Sean Alesi
Jul 17, 2010 Sean Alesi rated it really liked it
Read this because I was bored and wanted to dive into a subject I knew nothing about. You become an ocean environmentalist after reading this. Very informative and very interesting; I honestly had no idea there was so much to the oceans.
Tex
Sep 26, 2015 Tex added it
So far, very interesting! I sort of expected a textbook format, but this is much less dry.
Mike
Sep 17, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on how it ALL started.
Emma Stofferahn
Emma Stofferahn marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Nadine Jones
Nadine Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Phillip Ressler
Phillip Ressler marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
KT
KT marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Blue Frontier Campaign
Blue Frontier Campaign marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Nick Ronzi
Nick Ronzi is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
Marcus Comiter
Marcus Comiter marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Julia
Julia is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2016
Miles Hartl
Miles Hartl rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Colleen
Colleen is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2016
Selten Kaninchen
Selten Kaninchen marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Danielle Fasig
Danielle Fasig rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Sandra
Sandra is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Therese  A.  Brink
Therese A. Brink marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Connor Montgomery
Connor Montgomery marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Jonathan Breiner
Jonathan Breiner is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2015