Start by marking “How to Get People to Do Stuff: Master the Art and Science of Persuasion and Motivation” as Want to Read:

We all want people to do stuff. Whether you want your customers to buy from you, vendors to give you a good deal, your employees to take more initiative, or your spouse to make dinner--a large amount of everyday is about getting the people around you to do stuff. Instead of using your usual tactics that sometimes work and sometimes don't, what if you could harness the powe ...more
Published March 7th 2013 by New Riders Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get People to Do Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get People to Do Stuff

Sergei_kalinin
Книга скорее не понравилась :(

Даже начал сгоряча делать по ней mindmap, но потом махнул на это дело рукой (ибо бессмысленно)...

Суть книги: это справочник по методам / техникам / приёмчикам (автор называет их "стратегии") психологического воздействия. Всего в книге 140 таких стратегий.

/Кстати, hint - можно не тратить время на чтение всей книги, а сразу открыть Главу 10 "Список стратегий" - и получить доступ к самому полезному в книге!/

Стратегии неравномерно разделены как бы на 7 типов психоло
Tobias Isaac
Sep 10, 2013 Tobias Isaac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an easy read with a lot of "I knew that (but I've never practiced that)" facts :-)
everyone should read this book :-)
Nakul Shenoy
Mar 10, 2015 Nakul Shenoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan takes the idea of teaching influence to the next level by making it very easy to understand. She breaks down the concepts to easily understandable key topics, and shares them as strategies to use. The learnings thus become actionable, and we get to learn which strategy to use in which context. I recommend this one.
Norbert Pálinkás
Well written, and understandable book about 7 drives, and how to use it to understand and influence people. At the end of the book there is a useful section about combining and using them in real life situations.
Caitlin
Mar 07, 2017 Caitlin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I found the most useful chapter to be the last one which ran through a number of practical examples.
Edric Subur
I was really inspired in increasing my influence and persuasion skill after finishing Steve Job's biography. After laying out a selection of influence books I finally settled on this one, being really compelled by its title; simple and clear cut, how to get people to do stuff. The book however turned out to be not what I was really looking for. I was looking for techniques in influencing people around me, to make myself more convincing, my point more sound. The book however covers a slightly bro ...more
Wilte
Dec 17, 2015 Wilte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very basic, introductionary text on behavior change. Bite size tips, that are also repeated at the end of the book. Nice overview of literature, good starter-book I guess. Some parts were haphazard collection of interesting psychology papers. And many tips are fairly superficial and hollow (something like: "do it right", "tell a good story"). I also did not care too much about the personal anecdotes that were to illustrate examples (poorly at times).

A couple of quotable open doors (or more benig
Dorene
Jun 03, 2013 Dorene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you have studied or done much reading about leadership and the art of leading you will find this book very elementary and superficial (The title certainly does hint at this, doesn't it?). The author highlights basic principles of employee buy-in via simplistic situation-based examples that may or may not be business related. Unfortunately, however, she also sometimes encourages manipulative tactics that, in my opinion, are only effective for short term gain if at all successful and can be det ...more
Jaime
Apr 17, 2016 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La mente humana es la máquina más compleja y poderosa que existe. O al menos eso nos gusta creer. La realidad es que es bastante primitiva, predecible y fácil de manipular. Susan Weinschenk lo intenta demostrar con este breve manual para lograr que los otros hagan lo que uno quiere. Más allá de la eficacia de sus consejos (si consigo un aumento de sueldo sabré que funcionan), resulta interesante cómo lo que nos mueve es poco y básico. No somos tan sofisticados. La lectura es breve y con tintes i ...more
Jesse Biroscak
This book is good - really good. And it'll certainly help you to understand how to get people to do stuff. However, if you don't read it a few times or truly internalize it, it can be difficult to feel like you got your money's worth.

There are strategies listed inside the book that you can do, but I would really only focus on one at a time until you do them without thinking. Even after trying to do that, I still find that I forget to execute as Weinschenk instructs.

Definitely recommended, assu
Ryotaro Nagasawa
Bought at DMA2013.
Concise and to the point. It's more like an accumulation of tips, rather than strategies which the author mentions. They are surely actionable and worth trying.
Each one of tip maybe useful, but since it is extracted from various scientific experiment I doubt there may be some contradictory tip with each other seen as a whole. But I can't tell because there so many of them.
A bit superficial overall, I'd say.
Luke Gruber
Jan 29, 2017 Luke Gruber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're fascinated by psychology and human behavior you'll love this book. Weinschenk is an incredibly smart PHD psychologist. Although this book aims to "get people to do stuff", it's enlightening to realize some of the unconscience drivers to my own behavior. There's so much packed in this book, I sometimes wished she elaborated and spent more time on a few great topics. Enlightening book. It's very good.
Gabor Hajba
Jan 31, 2016 Gabor Hajba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jól, "halandó" ember számára is érthetően írja le, hogyan kell eljárni, ha valakit / valakiket arra szeretnénk rávenni, hogy megtegyenek valamit.

Természetesen nincs egy mindenkire ráhúzható módszer, nekünk is bele kell tennünk a részünket, utána járást, felderítést igényel -- de ha megvan az alapozó munka, onnantól kezdve már csak a stratégiákat kell alkalmazni.
Ann
Apr 17, 2015 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading challenge #21 A nonfiction book

I have been to several psychology trainings lately and our teacher has recommended this book more than once. It fit into my reading challenge category so why not?

How to Get People to Do Stuff is full of useful (and some not so useful) strategies. Nothing revolutionary but good to learn and relearn some things.
Rossella Cenini
E' una lettura piacevole nonostante la fine sia un po' "lenta" e spesso ridondante, tuttavia ho trovato alcuni punti (per esempio la descrizione delle euristiche / bias cognitivi) troppo "semplicistici" e poco approfonditi, nient'altro che un riassunto, ben fatto, di Cialdini e Kahneman. Rimane un buon testo per chi si avvicina alla materia "persuasione" e "decision making".
Lasse Olsen
Jan 27, 2017 Lasse Olsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: get-smarter
Easy read with some cool pointers. It had a bit of a dip here and there, but all in all insightful.

The book cover is admittedly a bit awkward though, so I had to hide it when I was out with people.
Stacy Taylor
A lot of repetition from her other books, so if you've read those you can probably skip this.
Conrad Chamerski
Dec 29, 2015 Conrad Chamerski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good tips on how to get people to do stuff based on facts.
Filip Rublev
Sep 15, 2014 Filip Rublev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third Susan Weinschenk book I was fortunate to enjoy. As usually, the book is entertaining, practical, and has many pieces of advice that can be applied tomorrow.
Rodion Krivoshein
A lot of surprising insights on various human behavior quirks.
Kim Goodwin
May 11, 2016 Kim Goodwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a useful & usable intro to using psychology in design, especially for anyone trying to move online metrics.
Carie L
Mar 03, 2015 Carie L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
how the mind works in very brief explanations. quotes a lot of other popular regular-length recent brain books.
Melissa
Jan 02, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good practical advice, sometimes a little generic but I definitely learned some techniques to try in daily life.
Tai Tai
Jun 09, 2016 Tai Tai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
perfect companion to 'Persuasion' by Robert Cialdini
Bill
Oct 16, 2015 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short, almost like a summary of another book, but very useful to collect all this information into one source
David
David rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Clint Walkingstick
Clint Walkingstick rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
May 30, 2013
Jasa
Jasa rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • It's Our Research
  • Microinteractions: Designing with Details
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • Webs of Influence: The Psychology of Online Persuasion
  • Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Implementing Responsive Design: Building Sites for an Anywhere, Everywhere Web
  • UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide
  • On Web Typography
  • Understanding Context: Environment, Language, and Information Architecture
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Designing for Behavior Change: Applying Psychology and Behavioral Economics
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
Susan Weinschenk has a Ph.D. in Psychology and over 30 years of experience as a behavioral psychologist. She applies neuroscience to predict, understand, and explain what motivates people and how to get people to take action.

Dr. Weinschenk is the author of several books, including How To Get People To Do Stuff, 100 Things Every Presenter Needs To Know About People, 100 Things Every Designer Needs
More about Susan M. Weinschenk...

“We like to think that we’re independent thinkers, that we’re unique individuals. The truth is, however, that the need to fit in and belong is wired into our brains and our biology.” 2 likes