M.C. Escher: The Graphic Work

M.C. Escher: The Graphic Work

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  25,404 ratings  ·  72 reviews
M.C. Escher was born in 1898 in Leeuwarden (Netherlands). He received his first drawing lessons during secondary school from F.W. van der Haagen, who also taught him the block printing, thus fostering Escher's innate graphic talents. From 1912 to 1922 he studied at the School of Architecture and Ornamental Design in Haarlem, where he was instructed in graphic techniques by...more
Softcover, 76 pages
Published 2006 by Taschen (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about M.C. Escher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about M.C. Escher

Petra X
Escher is enlightening, mind-bending and if the essence (not the stories) of the sci-fi genre of other worlds could be painted instead of written, it would look like this.
Steven Peterson
Boy, I really enjoy this volume! For people unfamiliar with the name Escher, many have, nonetheless, seen some of his more mind bending works. Many of his artistic creations have an impossibility about them--even as they look reasonable in terms of specific parts of each. Other of his woodcuts or wood engravings are enchanting in their own right.

The first part of the book is more biographical, although this segment is also richly sprinkled with examples of his work.

But it is the catalog, startn...more
Milica Chotra
"(T)here came a moment when it seemed as though scales fell from my eyes. I discovered that technical mastery was no longer my sole aim, for I became gripped by another desire, the existence of which I had never suspected. Ideas came into my mind quite unrelated to graphic art, notions which so fascinated me that I longed to communicate them to other people. This could not be achieved through words, for these thoughts were not literary ones, but mental images of a kind that can only be made comp...more
Bill
Like most high school and college students, I went through an Escher phase. Without the aid of psychotropic substances or any sort of interest in vaguely mathematical patterns, mind you, so it didn't last long, but still, it happened, and this was the book I bought as it was going on. And, you know, it's a reprinting of various Escher pieces. At the time, I'd have probably rated it 5 stars, but now, it gets an "I'm no longer quite so impressed, but still appreciate the artistry involved" 3 star...more
Joey
This book contains art along with comments from the artist explaining what he was trying to accomplish and where he felt he did well and not so well. His words add a lot to the appreciation of the well known images. It's a fun book that would be great to get again to study and try recreating.
Giuliana keimich
Amazing combination of draw, math, shadow and creativity.
Susan
I love that small children are drawn to this!
Ruby Black
No one depicts the impossible, improbable, and infinitesimal the way M.C. Escher does. He is work is essential to explore our minds and the universe. It is rare to find an artist try to capture the essence of philosophical, scientific, and fantastical thoughts in every piece.

Each line, each element, each color, has a purpose to the whole. His works blows my mind no matter how many times I spend staring at them; superbly the most brilliant artists.

Definitely start off with this book, whether yo...more
Smitty
Reading Escher's commentary on his own work is enlightening and entertaining. His dry wit is a delight. Not a delight is the lack of initiative on the part of any publisher since the original 1967 printing (looking at you, Taschen and B&N) to move his comments to the same pages as the works instead of keeping them in a section at the front for the reader to flip back to from the plates at the end. It's also somewhat on the shorter side, so I'd recommend any Escher fan to read it as a supplem...more
Tobias Kuners of Koenders
great work, very helpful to view 3 dimensional pictures
Giacomo Boccardo
Un'interessante esposizione delle opere di Escher commentate dallo stesso autore.

Nota negativa: quel gran genio dell'impaginatore ha posto le descrizioni di tutte le immagini all'inizio (e questo può andar bene), ma le pagine contenenti le immagini stesse non sono in alcun modo numerate, quindi è impossibile raggiungere da una descrizione la relativa immagine o viceversa se non andando a naso. Lo stesso vale per l'indice posto all'inizio del libro. Sono forse io poco avvezzo a libri di tale tipo...more
Anna Aizic
One of the books I keep on my desk for over twenty years, to inspire, and connect with an individual perception, reminding me the world is just that: an individual perception that leading to realization for tolerance and patience and compassion for other's who may perceive the same in a different way, however that will not change for what is there. With all that said, this book may lead to revolutionary social changes worldwide; making our world better for all.
Tanya Diehl
I loved this book. Art in general doesn't really interest me unless it is obvious. I can appreciate a beautifully painted picture of a meadow, but I don't get abstract or art like that. This book is a mixture of the obvious, abstract, the absurd, and illusions. Teens would be interested in the drama of the artwork. There is so much to look at in every drawing. I think it might even inspire a teen to research more from this artist and other artists like him.
Andrew
This is one of my all time favorite books and I have read it a number of times. I still cannot get over the level of details and mathematical precision used when they are in fact lithographs and where done some of them in the 30s. I was first introduced to his work as posters from the student haven called Athena (yes you know the one) and rapidly became fascinated with his impossible works. Always a joy to read and i think this is the best book on his work.
Neelakantan K.K.
A very nice book, the introduction by the artist is very informative. There's also a nice explanation for each work included in the book.

The main reason for possessing this book is of course the prints of Escher's works. They're printed on very good paper and the printing has come out really well. Escher's works are insanely brilliant. My favourites are the impossible buildings, "Reptiles", "Drawing Hands" and "Hand with globe."

Nikola Tasev
These are no ordinary paintings by an ordinary artist. They bend the rules or reality, and you have to regard them as puzzles to be solved. Twist your mind around them to see what they are and how they do it for full effect.
There are several different types, combinations of abstract mathematical, mosaic patterns and pure fantasy, all united by the dreamy unreal logic.
A real joy to the open mind.
John P
Simply stunning. The text is insightful describing Escher's loss to explain why he, alone apparently, was fascinated by the 'tiling of the plane'; is poignant in his son's description of Escher's last days. Those new to Escher will be stunned to find out that his works were primarily done as woodcuts. The wood blocks, then inked, are used to stamp the images with which we are all familiar.
Lamski Kikita
Unlike most people whose attraction to Escher's work comes from the magic of the 3-D effects and visual illusions, my reverence for him comes from his pure mastery of his craft. As a printmaker myself, I know how hard it is to get precision and details in, say, a wood carving, let alone create such fine lines and details that even some eyes might miss. Simple amazing.
Serge Pierro
This book collects various pieces of M.C. Escher from various periods throughout his career. A nice touch is that Escher himself writes a short paragraph about each work. For those who are familiar with the mind bending artwork of Escher, this collection will be welcome. For those who are unfamiliar with his works, this is a good introduction.
Gobnait
This book contained not only the old familiar favorites, but many works new to me as well. I enjoyed looking at them The drawing of his father on his deathbed somewhat startled me.

There were also many biographical pages. They would be helpful for anyone with an interest in his life or doing research for school.
Linda
I was an avid fan of Escher in the 1970s and 1980s when I read this book and collected prints and items with his designs on them. This is a good story about Escher and how he came to create his unique optical illusion art, but more importantly, how he changed the art world with his wonderful designs.
Aaron
This is a collection of some of Escher's more well known illustrations, and if I remember correctly they were ordered chronologically, giving some sense of "progress" over the course of his career. Nice drawings, but very light on the writing; there is almost no explanation or context provided.
Athena (Shardbearer)
My favorite graphic artist. My teacher once compared one of my pieces to M.C. Escher, I can tell you that made my year in art school.
Rob Springer
I found this book right after I graduated and happened to meet my high school art teacher while I had it on me. He was not easily impressed, but I remember that he said “this guy has it all, creativity and technique.” I gave my copy to my son, along with my appreciation of his work.
Craig
Cool pictures! This edition contains comments from the artist explaining what he was trying to accomplish and where he felt he succeeded and failed. His insight adds a lot to the appreciation of familiar images. It's a fun volume to leaf through frequently.
James
Mar 13, 2008 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in art, design, fantasy, mathematics
Incredibly skilled, often strikingly beautiful, sometimes whimsical and sometimes disturbing. The soul revealed through these images is a strange one; sometimes it seems as if he had one foot in the future and the other in the middle ages.
Kathleen Dixon
I don't own a copy, but I remember borrowing it from the library some few years ago (at least, I'm pretty sure it was this same book). I don't recall whether I read anything in it - I quite often borrow books just to look at them.
Endlessreadingprincess
unique artist who is popular both with those who love art and with those who say they don't. Wonderful play with perception and commercial enough to get a big audience... who would not be envious.
drawing by: Brooke M: drawing 9 7 Apr 18, 2013 01:57PM
  • Concerning the Spiritual in Art
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • Dali: The Paintings
  • Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918
  • ARh+
  • Amphigorey
  • Edvard Munch: 1863-1944 (Basic Art)
  • History of Art
  • Andy Warhol, 1928-1987: Commerce Into Art
  • Faeries
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers
  • Hopper
  • The Lost Painting
  • The Diary of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self-Portrait
  • Vincent Van Gogh: The Complete Paintings: Etten, April 1881-Paris, February 1888 (Taschen Specials)
  • Sacred Mirrors: The Visionary Art of Alex Grey
  • The Shock of the New
  • Seven Days in the Art World
Maurits Cornelis Escher, usually referred to as M.C. Escher, was a Dutch graphic artist. He is known for his often mathematically inspired woodcuts, lithographs and mezzotints. These feature impossible constructions, explorations of infinity, architecture and tessellations.

Maurits Cornelis, or "Mauk" as he came to be nicknamed, was was the youngest son of civil engineer George Arnold Escher and hi...more
More about M.C. Escher...
The Magic Mirror of M.C. Escher M.C. Escher: 29 Masterworks Escher On Escher The Magic of M.C. Escher The Pop-Up Book of M.C. Escher