Start by marking “Batman/Hellboy/Starman” as Want to Read:
Batman/Hellboy/Starman

Batman/Hellboy/Starman (Hellboy Crossovers)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Batman se enfrenta a unos nazis dotados de poderes místicos para capturar al Starman original: Ted Knight. Ante esta amenaza, Gordon envía a Hellboy para que ayude a Batman.

Note: this story is collected (in English) in Hellboy: Masks and Monsters and Starman Omnibus 4.
Paperback
Published by Public Square Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Batman/Hellboy/Starman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman/Hellboy/Starman

Son of Sam Quixote
Hellboy: Masks and Monsters is a reissue of two brief runs of comics Mike Mignola was involved with in the late `90s. The first teams Hellboy up with Batman and Starman in a mystery that begins in Gotham and takes them to the jungles of South America to fight off Nazis and a Lovecraftian horror. The second has Hellboy go up against the Ghost and a mysterious figure in a mask.

The first story is cool if only to see Hellboy and Batman fighting side by side but Batman feels ultimately under-used and...more
Sesana
I remember reading the Batman/Hellboy/Starman crossover when I was going through the Starman omnibus collections. (It's in The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 4.) I liked it ok then, and more so now that I'm actually familiar with Hellboy. I got the feeling from this crossover that it was done more because it was a cool idea than to sell comics. The Ghost crossover was also pretty decent. I would have probably liked it a whole lot more if I knew anything about this version of the Ghost, but I came in clue...more
William Redd
I have always been a fan of the crossover, especially when it's done for the sake of storytelling and not a marketing scheme (although, sometimes the storytelling in those situations can still stand above the marketing). The crossovers in this collection don't seem to be for any other reason than the writers wanted to see these characters interact, and that's what I love.

First up we have Hellboy teaming up with Batman and Starman when a group of Neo-Nazis kidnap Ted Knight (the original Starman)...more
James
This volume dusts Hellboy off for a couple team-ups. The first two-parter has our favorite devil stop Nazis from summoning a great old one with help from Batman and Starman. The second brings in Ghost, a Dark Horse character I wasn't familiar with, to solve a magic-and-murder locked-room mystery.

Both series are ok, although Batman focuses the attention a little more than Ghost does. The art is good; Mignola handles the first tale as only he can while Ghost artist Scott Benefiel does a great job...more
Orrin Grey
Two older stories that see Hellboy crossing over with more traditional costumed heroes, one drawn by Mignola but not written by him, and one written by him but not drawn by him. Neither of them are as much to my tastes as the typical straightforward Hellboy story, but both have good stuff going on.

I'm really glad that they colored the spine of this one to match the Hellboy Weird Tales volumes, to show that these stories are outside Hellboy canon.
Joseph R.
One of the popular things to boost sales in the comics industry is to make a team of individually popular characters (like The Avengers or the various Justice Leagues) or have characters' worlds cross. Since Hellboy is in a universe of his own, this work is definitely the later. Actually, this volume contains two separate team-ups: Batman/Hellboy/Starman and Ghost/Hellboy.

The first story follows Batman as he investigates the kidnapping of Ted Knight, the original Starman (who's a hero with a cos...more
logankstewart
Hellboy + Batman + Starman = :\, eh, who's Starman?

I wanted to like Masks and Monsters, if only because Mignola illustrated (but didn't write) a Batman & Hellboy story. Sadly, there was very little for me to enjoy in this doubly-arced collection.

The first tale is a cut & paste typical Hellboy story. Nazis are trying to revive an Elder God down in San Diablo. The BPRD disapproves. So does Starman, because the Nazi's kidnapped his genius father and are using him for malignant purposes. Bat...more
Slap Happy
Hellboy and Batman. Together. In the same comic. That is so much WIN right there, it could only be expressed in all caps.

But perhaps, it was too much WIN. The pairing, its inherent, overburdening WINNESS, broke the comic. Mignola tried to spread out all that concentrated WINNESS over a bland, run of the mill story. Dilute its potency a tad. Spread it thin, smoosh it out. Again: too much WIN. Or so he thought. But shouldn't there be a little bit of madness in a pairing such as this? I think so, y...more
La Revistería Comics
Máscaras y monstruos, uno de los más recientes tomos argentino de Hellboy. Superhéroes, viajeros de las estrellas y fantasmas reunidos en un único tomo que junta los crossovers del infiernudo con variopintos personajes de DC Comics.
Angela
I loved the story with Batman and Starman. The ghost one was not great. A little boring and felt more like an action movie you would watch for the fighting and characters not because it's any good.
Seizure Romero
First up: Hellboy, Batman & Starman beat up a bunch of Nazis who are trying to bring Lovecraftian horrors into our world. Hijinks & good times aplenty! For example:

Starman (upon viewing impending elder god): Whoa, he's a big boy.
Nazi: And many-sided.
Starman: Now that was from Lovecraft. Don't be trying to impress me with watered-down H.P.

On the other hand, The Ghost/Hellboy story is kinda dumb. The old Marvel Team-Up formula (heroes meet, fight due to stupid misunderstanding, eventually...more
Afryst
James Robinson's Starman? Mike Mignola's Hellboy? And Batman for some reason? Be still my geekish heart!

Well actually, there's a pretty standard plot here which seems to have laid aside the quirks of it's component characters in an attempt to shoehorn them together. Despite the input of both Mignola and Robinson, you won't find any of the fascinating folklore or wit Hellboy fans normally enjoy, nor Starman's usual thoughts on kitsch, beauty or responsibility. Mignola's depiction of Batman is int...more
Jake
Apparently, Hellboy stories only work when they're old school horror pulp or new wave dark fantasy craziness. The whole teamwork action-adventure tales don't really go all that smoothly. And Batman's in the first story! But he's not really Batman. He's some kind of lazy impression of Batman. Bogus. It could've been really awesome, but, then again, doing a classic superhero (especially one as cold and detailed as the Dark Knight) is tough. Eh. Sometimes, crossovers work. Sometimes, they don't. He...more
Jeane
When I saw Batman teaming up with Hellboy I was like, "Oh hell yeah!" I wish that was what was in the whole issue! I am not familiar with Starman or Ghost but their team up with Hellboy is equally enjoyable. The Batman and Starman storyline is tied together, but the Ghost storyline is separate. It's a great book for any collector of Hellboy novels such as myself.
I would also like to say that I got this book signed by Mike Mignola the co-author of the book and creator of Hellboy, and he drew a B...more
Paul
Part 1 is the Hellboy Batman team-up.
Part 2 is the Hellboy Starman team-up.
Parts 1 and 2 are drawn by Mignola, but written by somebody else.
Parts 3 and 4 are Hellboy and Ghost team-ups.
Parts 1 and 2 are part of a single story.
Parts 3 and 4 are a single - different story.
Parts 3 and 4 are written by Mignola, but drawn by somebody else.

So... it isn't a single complete story from start to finish as I had hoped and expected it to be.
Still, it is pretty darn good as far as team-ups stories and art go...more
Paul
Part 1 is the Hellboy Batman team-up.
Part 2 is the Hellboy Starman team-up.
Parts 1 and 2 are drawn by Mignola, but written by somebody else.
Parts 3 and 4 are Hellboy and Ghost team-ups.
Parts 1 and 2 are part of a single story.
Parts 3 and 4 are a single - different story.
Parts 3 and 4 are written by Mignola, but drawn by somebody else.

Still, it is pretty darn good as far as team-ups stories and art go...more
Andrew
The storylines are purely Hellboy-by-the-numbers. Nazis! Elder Gods! The Right Hand of Doom! etc. etc. Really, this is just an excuse for Hellboy to trade witty repartee with DC comics icons like Batman and Starman. On that level, Masks and Monsters is a success. It's fun to see Hellboy bounce off of these more conventional superheroes, and the artwork is fantastic throughout.
Cait
Five stars for the Batman/Starman crossover; wavering between two and three for the Ghost crossover. Is that one of Ghost's usual artists? Is there always so much cleavage? And why must "sad girl deceived by transparent bad guy" be such a common plot? Let's just go back to punching Nazis and tentacle monsters, please. It's hard to go wrong punching Nazis and tentacle monsters.
It was really fun to see Hellboy hanging with Batman, and I only wish that there had been more to that part of the first story. I'm not very familiar with Starman, and had never even heard of Ghost, so that probably took away from my experience.

I could tell this was early-ish Mignola, and it wasn't really his best work, but it was still fun to read.
David Molnar
freaking awesome. It's got Batman. It's got Nazis. It's got Chthulu, or however you spell it. And it's got Hellboy opening up several cans of whoop-ass. (hyphenated, or no?)
The story with Ghost doesn't have these things, but it's the B-side. We don't complain about the book because of the B-side. This is a winner.
Russell Olson
The Batman/Starman portion of the book is pretty great (I'm partial to Mignloa's art) and the story is a bit of light fun. The Ghost section is too much a mash up that never really does anything. Seems a bit like a pointless crossover. I'd give the first part 4 stars and the second 2 for an average of 3.
Travis
Lightweight, but fun team up story. Hellboy and Starman spend most of the story in the spotlight, with Batman showing in the beginning and then at the end. Good, hero/buddy chemistry between Hellboy and Starman.
It's a Hellboy story, so of course there are Nazis and monsters.
Alan
A nice solid outing with Mike Mignola's signature character. This time Hellboy gets to pay with guest stars Batman, Starman and Ghost (from Dark Horse Comics). Not as strong as the regular BRPD or Hellboy stories, yet mildly entertaining regardless.
Chris Knox
I often find that shorter Hellboy stories suffer from very quick conclusions and the 2 stories in this collection are no different. Both really nice pieces of work that would have benefitted greatly from being 5 instalment pieces rather than 2.
John
Great art as always but both of the stories are forgettable. I enjoyed the 2nd with Ghost/ Hellboy more though as it felt a lot more mysterious and interesting to me. Enjoyable comic, but not as good as other stories.
Karla
Hellboy works along side Batman, Starman and Ghost. Really liked seeing Batman drawn in Mignola's signature style. Also enjoyed the Ghost story, written by Mignola, but drawn in a more traditional superhero style.
Pert Doherty
A bit fast storyline for chapter one (BATMAN|HELLBOY|STARMAN). Actually i bought this book only for the illustration. What i like most. I dont care about the story what so ever.
K.m.
Visually one of my favorite series, the shadowy bold-colored style captures the drama and seediness of this universe. Can't go wrong with Nazis wielding supernatural powers.
David
Read these when they came out as single comic book issues. If I recall correctly, this is one of my all time favorites. I need a new copy to read again!
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • Batman/Dracula: Red Rain
  • Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 5
  • The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience
  • Superman & Batman: Generations, An Imaginary Tale (Elseworlds)
  • Tom Strong, Book 3
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo...more
More about Mike Mignola...
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)