Start by marking “Leepike Ridge” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,300 ratings  ·  271 reviews
Eleven-year-old Thomas Hammond is in for the ride of his life when he's swept downstream and underground aboard a crumbling raft of Styrofoam. Washing up on a dark subterranean "beach," his only companions are an impulsive dog named Argus and a corpse, from which he takes a flashlight and an all-too-limited supply of batteries. What Tom finds under Leepike Ridge—a castaway ...more
Published May 22nd 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Monica!
Frequently when my tiny library patrons recommend a book to me, I smile very politely and tell them that oh yes, I’ll get on that immediately, and then I never do, because God help me if I have to read one more Geronimo Stilton book I think my brain might melt out my ears.

But Leepike Ridge was one of those recommendations, and friends, let me tell you, I am SO GLAD that I followed through and actually read it.

Because it is amazing. Amazing. Why is everyone in the world not reading this book? kar
Betsy
I am a traitor to my sex. I must be. All evidence clearly points in that direction. If 2007 is remembered as anything, for me it will be the year of Boy Books That I Adored While My Female Friends Slowly Shook Their Heads. First I fell head-over-heels gaga for Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Girls didn't always get the jokes. Then Atherton #1: The House of Power struck me as particularly fun. Blank stares from my female co-workers. Now I've read "Leepike Ridge" and if I am not physically shoving this book ...more
Douglas Wilson
Nate does great work.
Kate
I read a review that made comparisons between this book and Louis Sachar's Holes. This kind of comparison always makes me skeptical. "We'll just see about that," I thought. I read it. I saw. And I get it now. This one is worthy of that comparison -- and then some. And this book will definitely appeal to fans of Holes.

Leepike Ridge is a book for every kid (and every grown kid) who played in refrigerator boxes, caught critters in the woods, and floated down creeks on homemade rafts. It's a fantast
Abby Johnson
For some reason, I thought this book was fantasy before I started reading it. I don't know where I got that idea. It's not fantasy.

Young Tom Hammond was just playing with the giant foam piece from the refrigerator box. He was playing with it outside because he wanted to get away from his mom's new boyfriend. He didn't mean to fall asleep on top of it and float down the creek. And he certainly didn't mean to get sucked underneath the mountain and trapped in an underground cave. But now Tom is st
Heather
Everyone who reads this book LOVES it. It is part Huckelberry Finn, part Hatchet, part David Copperfield, and part 'The Parent Trap'. Many teachers and librarians are calling this book one of the best books written this year.
60+ pages seems like giving this book a fair shot, but it just didn't grab me. So many people love it, though, that I'll have to try it again later.
Eva Mitnick
This is a very different sort of adventure story. A 12-year-old boy named Tom, disgruntled at his mother's relationship with a man he doesn't like, heads downriver on a raft (really the foam packing from a refrigerator box) and ends up under a mountain and utterly trapped, along with a corpse, a dog, and - eventually - a man who had been similiarly trapped for over 3 years. There are gritty details - nefarious "treasure-hunters," a plucky mom, a three-legged dog, and plenty of real danger - but ...more
Ellen
A great read for what otherwise would have been a miserable day in bed with nasty cold. I love adventure survival stories and was often reminded today of stories I enjoyed long ago (Hatchet, Julie of the Wolves, I know there are others...).

To my delight, this one also added the mystery of archaeological treasure. Had I read this before all those archaeology classes in college, I probably would have given it another star. As much as I wanted to for the sake of the story, I just couldn't believe
Sara
A very cool adventure story. I would have liked some illustrations, especially of all those contraptions in the cave. And a map at the end that I could pore over and re-live the journey. But that's me: a visual girl. I want interior illustrations in almost every "chapter" or "middle-grade" book. Where can I sign the petition? Anybody with me on this?
Eric
A smashing adventure story, about a boy who is carried by the river into a network of caves, deep in the mountains near his home. The plot is riveting, and the writing is top-notch: Rich, descriptive, and poetic, but never so artsy-fartsy that it breaks you out of the narrative. Just perfect writing, really. Highly recommended.
Bill Prosser
One of my ABSOLUTE favorites of the summer! I loved the adventure, the mystery, the way the "bad guys" try to get their way. This would be a great read aloud due to the cliff hangers. Kids will enjoy the twists in the plot. Just when you think you have it figured out, think again!
Maria Caplin
Just finished this amazing book-every time I turned the page I was surprised up until the ending which I never predicted.
Excellent book for thinking, wondering, predicting and just
visualizing what it really would be like to have lived through Tom's experiences.
Kelly
the best boy adventure book I've read in years, hands down.
babyhippoface
Jan 04, 2008 babyhippoface rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys who are reluctant readers and anyone who loves adventure novels
This book made me miss my "If I Don't Get to Sleep Before This Time, I'll Be Cranky Tomorrow" bedtime. 3+ hours over, in fact. That doesn't happen very often.

First off, there's the cover. It couldn't get much more attention-grabbing than that, could it? You're looking at the feet of 11-year-old Tom Hammond, who is sitting atop his chimney, which is atop his house, which is CHAINED atop a mountain ridge. This is where he goes to get away from all the yuck in world, which currently consists of mi
Jean
This book starts out with a familiar "my mom is dating a man I don't like" kind of scene. But there is a twist. For example, there is a hint that the house that Tom and his mother live in is really different - it is chained to the top of a rock and experiences frequent power surges that cause appliances to fizzle. But the twist that grabbed me was the writing. The descriptions were beautifully written. The author can really write a good sentence.

Then comes another grabber. Tom, in trying to ret
Chloe
This book is amazing. The characters are so developed! I have read Leepike Ridge before, a very long time ago and I didn't remember most of it, so, obviously, i read it again and loved it even more! The book is so exciting, I just couldn't put it down! The best part? It has a happy ending. :) I highly recommend this book to anyone, adult or kid, looking for an awesome adventure.
N.D. Wilson
David Hoos
Sometimes it seems like most of the good books out there are Children's books. Authors seem to get too pretentious for their own good when they're writing for adult audiences. For me, after years of non-fiction college reading, Leepike Ridge made me want to go back and read more fiction again. To read just for the fun of it. Somebody else compared Wilson's stories to Pixar and I think that is a very apt comparison. Perfect for kids but also equally great for adults. Keep an eye on Wilson...if hi ...more
Sara
A well written adventure story in the tradition of King Solomon's Mines, Holes, and My Side of the Mountain. Adventure and depth and good writing, oh my! This was a fun one -- but it had some more complex family/grief issues, and definitely kept the pages turning. The only thing that bugged me a little was that the descriptions were kinda hard to follow -- for example, I had a tricky time trying to imagine exactly how Reg's water clock worked, 'cause the description was a little unclear. Otherwi ...more
Amy Brown
Dec 14, 2007 Amy Brown rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys, adventure, quirky
Thomas Hammond ends up on an adventure when he gets mad at his mom (who's going to marry his teacher) and decides to travel down the stream on a raft made from styrofoam. Before he knows it he's wrapped up in an adventure involving water, a cave, a dead body, a castaway, and treasure. This quirky adventure book starts slow but would be good to give to boys who like adventure and who like stories like the Series of Unforunate Events and the Philip Aardagh books.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
A great survival story, a thrilling adventure, an intriguing mystery, and a tall tale. It reminds me of Paulsen's survival stories but seems to have even more layers and with incredibly enjoyable wry humor.

I really wanted this one to be on this year's Notables list -- but alas, there wasn't enough supporting votes for it to make even to the Discussion List. *sigh*

[http://www.fairrosa.info/rj/2007/08/l...]
Leslie
This book is written for young adults, but I think that adults will love it too: Chris and I do. It is in the same vein as Mark Twain. We bought it for Isaiah and ended up reading it ourselves.
Gist: a young boy is swept into an underground stream beneath mountain and in his attempt to escape discovers remains of an ancient world as well as the secrets to his father's death.
Julie
This was just as good as everyone said! I'm only sorry it took me so long to get to it. I can't think of any other book I've ever read that's quite like it--adventure, mystery, history, underground caves, hidden treasure, bad guys, a good dog...

I do think it would appeal to fans of Riordan's Percy Jackson series, as we await book 4!
Michael
Third Read November 2014. I read it out to the kids who loved Reg and Co. as they made their way to Easter and a Crazy berry toast.

Second read June 2013. This is still my favorite tale told by Mr. Wilson. Fantastic.

First read in Jan. 2009 This is now my favorite ND book. It was a fantastic tale, told very well.
Ashley
Best non-fantasy juvenile book I've read in a while. Tom Sawyer & the Odyssey mixed in to a wonderfully written adventure/survival/treasure-hunt story which stands on its own, rather than just being a dim shadow of those great works. Plus, it's starts with a great opening paragraph that made me really happy.
Telaina
This was an action packed, couldn't put it down, what is going to happen next book! It was clean (not too gruesome, no bad language), and well written. I love children's literature, but as an adult I found it thrilling. I would recommend it to anyone, young or old!
nate
Like those delightful Pixar movies, Nate Wilson illustrates again that a good story is entertaining for all ages. Leepike Ridge is a quick and enjoyable story about a boy, a cave, good guys and bad guys, crawdads, and treasure. What more could you ask for?
John
Wow, what a great read! This is a really fun adventure story in the vein of Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island. Wilson does a great job of making you turn the pages. I highly recommend this one for both kids and adults.
Katy
It all starts with a styrofoam raft and an unwanted boyfriend (for his mother), and it is a fast-paced adventure from there on out. I've been looking for a good classic adventure story, and this fit the bill.
Tim
I don't usually buy into "boy adventure" books. I thought "Hatchet" was an annoying piece of repetitive poo. THIS, however, captured me from page one. It was fresh, believable, and very well written.
  • Right Behind: A Parody of Last Days Goofiness
  • The Mysterious Case of the Allbright Academy
  • We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes
  • Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World
  • The Aurora County All-Stars
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • Wise Words: Family Stories That Bring the Proverbs to Life
100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1) Dandelion Fire (100 Cupboards, #2) The Chestnut King (100 Cupboards, #3) The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1) Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World

“The moon was up, painting the world silver, making things look just a little more alive.” 23 likes
“In the history of the world there have been lots of onces and lots of times, and every time has had a once upon it.

Most people will tell you that the once upon a time happened in a land far, far away, but it really depends on where you are. The once upon a time may have been just outside your back door. It may have been beneath your very feet. It might not have been in a land at all but deep in the sea's belly or bobbing around on its back.”
21 likes