Start by marking “All Dogs Are Blue” as Want to Read:
All Dogs Are Blue

All Dogs Are Blue

"Rodrigo de Souza Leão is an exceptional author and has had a major impact on contemporary Brazilian literature."—Paulo Scott

All Dogs are Blue is a scurrilously funny tale of life in a Rio insane asylum. Its raw style and comic inventiveness signal a major voice in Brazilian literature. Sadly the author died, aged forty-three, soon after it was published in 2008.

Due to his
Published September 10th 2013 by And Other Stories (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about All Dogs Are Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Dogs Are Blue

Viviane
Jul 14, 2013 Viviane rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book published by And Other Stories I read, I've been very impressed both times (the first one was Swimming Home).
I was deeply touched by this story. The talent and courage of the author was truly amazing!
This was an autobiographical story of a man who was mentally ill and treated at a mental institution in Brazil. It described life inside the institution and the horrific treatments received by patients. What's unique is that he was able to give detailed first-hand account of the
Guillermojimenezespneo
Quizá los tocados escriban literatura diferente, no necesariamente mejor, sólo distinta. Estas historias de vida, teñidas de las vivencias de la esquizofrenia más feroz, acaso permitieron una ventana de sobrevivencia al vivir cotidiano en el manicomio. Fogonazos alucinados, fotos rápidas a algunos aconteceres, sin nunca saber de cierto que hay de verdadero en todo ello. Pero me queda claro que no hay diferencia en el tratamiento a y de los locos en los espacios de confinamiento. Siempre el ...more
Sharon Joy
Jul 02, 2013 Sharon Joy rated it really liked it
The world is a complicated place for those with a psychological illness. The world views the suffers with little understanding, we try, but will never truly comprehend its complexities. This book is a firsthand account of living with a mental illness and having to live with the side effects of the medical treatment. In this story the narrator tells of his life living in an asylum with his friends or is he? A touching and honest story, amusing at times!
Tonymess
Jul 31, 2013 Tonymess rated it really liked it
But I’m fragile and delicate like anyone who feels life. Not everybody knows what they want out of life. If you do know, you live life. If you don’t, you feel life.

As I’ve mentioned with other works that have come my way from “& Other Stories”, their pursuit of “collaborative, imaginative and ‘shamelessly literary’” works fits nicely with my own philosophies of independence and pushing the boundaries. And in “All Dogs Are Blue” I’ve come across something which is shamelessly BOLD, a work tha
Mary
Mar 19, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
This story is confusing and erratic, probably similar to living with psychosis. This semi-autobiographical story shares the author.s experiences of living with schizophrenia. Some sentences are so powerful and then spiral into a more confusion place. There is an underlying feeling of heartbreak. I feel that perhaps I'm not intelligent enough to fully comprehend the importance of this work. I'm glad I read it though and I might re-read it again in the future. I think one could probably discover ...more
Aaron (Typographical Era)
Jan 09, 2014 Aaron (Typographical Era) rated it really liked it
If Rodrigo de Souza Leão’s (1965-2008) autobiographical novel All Dogs are Blue teaches us anything, it’s that there’s a thin fucking line between that which defines a person as being sane and that which earns them the persistent label of bat-shit crazy.

This slim piece, which takes place primarily in a Brazilian mental asylum, finds the nameless narrator lost in a stream of consciousness that includes key moments from his past, wild hallucinations in the present, and a dreamed up a pair of class
Nose in a book (Kate)
Sep 01, 2013 Nose in a book (Kate) rated it really liked it
This is a short, sharp shock of a book. It deals with serious, scary stuff but manages to be funny, exciting and superbly readable, as well as powerful and enlightening.

Aside from the occasional morose moment, the tone stays light and witty throughout the darkest and the strangest scenes. And it does get pretty dark and pretty strange.

My full review is here: http://www.noseinabook.co.uk/?p=2822
Merari Lugo Ocaña
La telaraña que acuna y a su vez separa la esquizofrenia de la realidad y la poesía... sin la telaraña.

«Está siempre el mar batiendo en las piedras de la enfermedad. El mar verde Lexotan 6. El cielo azul Haldol 5. El Rivotril blanco de las nubes. Todo es enfermedad en la enfermedad mental, hasta la linda Garota de Ipanema. ¿Por qué no inventaron una cura para mi enfermedad?
¿Por qué construyen cohetes para ir al espacio?»

Will
Apr 18, 2014 Will rated it it was amazing
"What is loneliness? It's living without obsessions. But sometimes in life we have to choose between pounding the tip of a knife or letting ourselves get burned in the fire."

Brilliant, tragic journey into the mind of madness.
Bill
Jul 20, 2013 Bill rated it it was amazing
An amazing, original book about life in a mental institution by an author who know madness quite personally. 5 stars!
Tara
Jul 21, 2013 Tara rated it it was amazing
Review to come.
Thom
Aug 23, 2013 Thom rated it really liked it
All Dogs Are Blue was the final novel written by Rodrigo de Souza Leao before his death in 2008. Set mainly in a Brazilian psychiatric hospital, the text is a flood of sense-impressions, recollections and hallucinations, a narrative full of tangents and non-sequiters. The narrator has been admitted to the hospital after smashing up his parents’ house; once inside, he describes his interactions with staff, fellow inmates including the ominously-named Fearsome Madman, and his spirit guides, ...more
Ultra Violet
Dec 01, 2016 Ultra Violet rated it liked it
A short but incredibly confusing chaotic book about being mentally ill and in an asylum. But there's some poetic writing and it's worth a read.
Gail
Jan 04, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly good short novel - based on the author's own experiences as an in-patient in a psychiatric institution. The narrator is schizophrenic, and writes about his day-to-day life in the asylum. The narrative voice is a mix of lucidity and clarity that cuts through any crap and gets straight to the point, and the bizarreness, fragmentation, paranoia and hallucination of the schizophrenic mind. There is quite a bit of self-insight - he is aware of his paranoias and hallucinations, to some ...more
Guillermo Jiménez
Va. La primera "recomendación" es que lo compre mi papá y lo sume a mi herencia: su biblioteca. Ese filtro mata.

Cargué con el libro un buen. Fue y vino conmigo del rancho. Y anidó en mi librero. Hasta que vi una foto del Arturo, y de inmediato lo rescaté para leerlo. Asumí que en una ida y vuelta a CDMX podría dar cuenta de él.

No me equivoqué.

¿Literatura de locos? No estoy tan seguro.

Me recordó un poco, un mucho a mi adorado Caicedo. Aunque están en momentos, en estilos, en propuestas distintas.
Heather
Jul 27, 2014 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads, re-read
Received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
The journal of a madman. That was how this read. It was just one long coherent rambling. The sort of book that would have appealed to me when I was in my late teens. It is not that different then if you were to rip out random pages of my diary from a teen, just more insane. What I will give the author credit for is his creativity and a look into the psyche of a crazy person. There are moments when you can sense a passage of sanity and it b
M
Rodrigo de Souza Leão presents an amazing journey into the mind of a schizophrenic in a Brazilian mental institution. There are descriptions of the strange behaviors of his fellow patients and the staff, the hash medical procedures, the effects of a large of medications, the (mostly) comforting visits of his family, and the “friends” who inhabit his imagination.

Through it all there are passages of poetic lucidity.

It took me a long time to read this short novel because I kept going back and re-r
Catherine
Aug 27, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This review is based on an ARC received from the publisher.

All Dogs are Blue was written by Rodrigo de Souza Leao, who suffered from schizophrenia. He wrote this book prior to his death in 2009 . He writes about that which he is very familiar....the inner thoughts and ramblings of a person with mental illness.

Although the book is described as "funny" and "humorous" by the publisher,, I mostly found it to be intriguing and touching. It pulled at my heart in many places. The author gives a powerfu
Tracy
Aug 05, 2013 Tracy rated it it was ok
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

As a psychology student, I was really excited to begin reading this. The book really takes you deep into the mindset of a clinically insane person; however, it lacked meaning and a proper story line. It felt as though the author sat down and rambled on for a few hours whatever came to his mind. Speaking of which, the horrible writing style was terribly cliche and left me feeling annoyed.

On a more positive note, it was quite interesting to see h
Evelyn
Oct 05, 2015 Evelyn rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Actually I would rate this novel 3.5 stars. This is an autobiographical novel painting a portrait of life in a lunatic asylum in Brazil. It is written in a stream of consciousness manner that sometimes uses lyrical language, and other times is pedestrian and tedious. The novel is disjointed at points and lurches around in time and place as it discusses the narrator's mental illness including his imaginary friends, treatment and his interactions with his family, other patients and staff, and ...more
Judith
Sep 07, 2016 Judith rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed other books by this publisher but unfortunately I didn't enjoy this one.
Ben Rowe
Jun 17, 2016 Ben Rowe rated it liked it
Short, funny and packed with memorable phrases and sections. There are three main characters two of which the narrator admits to not being real. Its a semi autobiographical tale about mental illness with a first person narrator who is more than a little unreliable.

I did find I really needed to focus to work out what was going on but found the tale inventive that when I paid attention plenty of fun.

Its great that And Other Stories published it and on a different day I could easily see my having g
Cassie
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads.

I have always wondered what it would be like to be insane and this book told me.

An autobiographical journal of a madman who spends his days masturbating and thinking about his blue dog who is the color of the pills he's on. The book consists of a lot of random thoughts and ideas he has forcing the reader to just go along for the ride. The book did have its moments of amusement and was very raw and sad at times.
Friederike Knabe
Jun 21, 2014 Friederike Knabe rated it really liked it
Shelves: latin-america
This is the most original, strange and thought provoking book I have read in a long. About a life lived with mental illness, recounting early memories of "treatment", institutionalization, dreams and nightmares. Whether induced or not by the chemicals injected, the narrator moves in a world that is both hyperrealistic and imaginary. So are his family and friends...

This is just a taste, more to come.
Joyce Yanney
An autobiographical story of a life in a mental institution. Author died in 2008, after this book was published. He was schizophrenic, whose mental state was very fragile. The author wrote with part sentences but you continued along with his story, his torment and different types of treatment that he endured. Looking into the psyche of an insane person with a suffering mind and he lived it. Story with humor and sadness. This is definitely not a book for all.
Joline
Jul 09, 2016 Joline rated it it was ok
So when I first picked up this book, it was totally not my genre that I enjoyed reading. But since it was something new, I was thinking why not? And okay so maybe next time the answer should be NOT. This book just gave me the creepies because it was too dark for me. Most of the time I had no clue what the author was actually talking about or what was happening. It pretty much left me with a disturbed feeling when I put the book down. So next time, no more books about asylum. /:
Patricia Youngs
Dec 29, 2013 Patricia Youngs rated it liked it
Interesting read about a young schizophrenic man who writes his thoughts on who he is and why he is in a mental health residential living place. His story includes Rembrandt and another poet writer which fascinated my interest in how people bring in imaginary people into their lives. Worth the read if you are into different kinds of memoir story plotting.
Irene
Aug 24, 2013 Irene rated it liked it
Hard to get through, but it's an interesting, perhaps autobiographical, portrayal of a man's battle with severe mental illness. There are many ethno-cultural specific references which while informative, were disruptive and distracting. I found myself flipping back and forth between the endnotes and the story to learn about a Brazilian neighborhood or phrase.
Jade Maitre
Dec 08, 2013 Jade Maitre rated it it was amazing
This novel blew me away from the first paragraphs - it is so rich, so dense, so vivid. I felt like I was being whipped around on the roller coaster of his mind and experiences, and there is barely time to take a breath. It enthralled me all the way.
Marquina
Oct 17, 2013 Marquina rated it did not like it
Excellent writing, but not my style. Beautiful, sad, engrossing - also, actually *gross* at times - enlightening, but can't say I'd recommend it to someone unless they are extremely literary and need a fast read for a short flight.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Double Negative
  • The Planets
  • Saints and Social Justice: A Guide to the Changing World
  • تقرير ميليس
  • Electrico W
  • Grace Happens Here: You Are Standing Where Grace is Happening
  • Raven's Gate   The Graphic Novel (Power Of Five)
  • The Six Secrets of Change: What the Best Leaders Do to Help Their Organizations Survive and Thrive
  • Bruce Springsteen and the Promise of Rock 'n' Roll